These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Speeding up training

Author
Jake Blakeway
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-12-31 09:34:14 UTC
Hello All,

So i decided i am going to go and train to use a mining barge to help my corp out. however i discovered it is going to take me over 8 days to learn it all. Surely there must be a way i can speed this process up. waiting 8 days for me right now is a major put off

Biocell manufacter and courier for hire

Guttersneak
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#2 - 2012-12-31 09:55:46 UTC
Cybernetic implants or a neural remap. Of course implants requires the cybernetic skill........

Good luck!
Elena Thiesant
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-12-31 10:14:35 UTC
Worth noting that the aforementioned implants and remaps won't change an 8 day training time to a day. Maybe to 7 days. Training takes time, that's a fact of EVE. 8 days is a relatively short training time.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#4 - 2012-12-31 11:46:56 UTC
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

So i decided i am going to go and train to use a mining barge to help my corp out. however i discovered it is going to take me over 8 days to learn it all. Surely there must be a way i can speed this process up. waiting 8 days for me right now is a major put off

You can use learning implants

You can respec your stats to favour the skills you need

In the meantime, you can use another ship to mine in while you're training for the barge. It will be less efficient, but you can still contribute. Or perhaps you could help with hauling the ore, scouting the belts to see which have the most/best rocks, scanning the asteroids to see which have the most minerals, checking market buy orders to see which minerals are in demand, helping with supplies like mining crystals...

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-12-31 12:23:48 UTC
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

Just wait until you have to wait 60 days level up a new skill.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Major Trant
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-12-31 13:31:41 UTC
8 Days!

-sigh-
Chymo Trypsin
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-12-31 14:16:16 UTC
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

This is one of the reasons my first visit to New Eden didn't stick.

This is what I've done this time around if I really want to do something that will take multiple days to train.

1. If it is a new sort of skill find something similar to do what I'm doing to make sure it is worth the time invested, that I can do with my current skills

2. Begin training skills necessary to get where I want to be.

3. Do something completely else, not even remotely close to what you're training. EvE has sooooo much to do. You may think "I want to be a miner right now" but may find it dull and find something better that suits your interest. I love mining but this is how I've discovered exploring.

4. If it is something you really want, you'll still want it in 8, 16, 32, 64 days. Insta-gratification is rare in this game.
Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#8 - 2012-12-31 14:18:35 UTC
You can always go to the character bazaar and buy a char that suits your needs.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-12-31 15:00:37 UTC
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

Really,

You are bothered with 8 days of training.

Damn, that are the short skills for me. Currently waiting on 48 days to pass for my current skill.

EVE is a game of long terms, get used to non instant stuff.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-12-31 15:01:27 UTC
Nerath Naaris wrote:

And then fly and loose expensive ships cause you still have no idea about how the game mechanics work.

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Karloth Valois
1st. Pariah Malefactor corp.
The New Eden Yacht Club.
#11 - 2012-12-31 15:34:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Karloth Valois
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

If 8 days worries you your in a lot of trouble later on. I miss the days of such short training plans. People train skills that take months not days. i actually consider anything under 2 weeks as a short skill these days.

Yes it can be sped u with implants etc but that wont affect such a short training plan much, maybe a day with +4s. If you really cant wait train mining frig first and help out with that while you wait for the barge. Venture only takes a few hours to get into and is cheap enough that your make your isk back and probably earn enough in a 8 days to buy the barge you want as well.

It's not been nice, but thanks for using lube

Verran 'Firefox' Severasse
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-12-31 15:56:45 UTC
Karloth Valois wrote:
Jake Blakeway wrote:
Hello All,

If 8 days worries you your in a lot of trouble later on. I miss the days of such short training plans. People train skills that take months not days. i actually consider anything under 2 weeks as a short skill these days.

Yes it can be sped u with implants etc but that wont affect such a short training plan much, maybe a day with +4s. If you really cant wait train mining frig first and help out with that while you wait for the barge. Venture only takes a few hours to get into and is cheap enough that your make your isk back and probably earn enough in a 8 days to buy the barge you want as well.

By my estimations it would be..

8.38 days with no implants and no optimization
7.29 days with +3's and no optimization
5.99 days with +3's and optimization
5.78 days with +4's and optimization
5.59 days with +5's and optimization
5.08 days with +5's, optimization AND cerebral accelerator

362,095 SP total. My math could be off.

That would give you the base skills for mining barge and mining barge I.
Karloth Valois
1st. Pariah Malefactor corp.
The New Eden Yacht Club.
#13 - 2012-12-31 16:03:16 UTC
I stand corrected on the one day with implants then, but i just guessed rather than do the maths. However +4s and +5s are expensive (for a new player) and point about venture still stands, much faster to learn and cheaper to start with if you cant wait for the barge, lets you get involved with the corp now rather than 5-8 days.

It's not been nice, but thanks for using lube

Nerath Naaris
Pink Winged Unicorns for Peace Love and Anarchy
#14 - 2012-12-31 18:50:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Nerath Naaris
J'Poll wrote:
Nerath Naaris wrote:

And then fly and loose expensive ships cause you still have no idea about how the game mechanics work.

That´s possible, likely even. Though perhaps not so much in regard to a mining barge.

Now there is that story about that noob who desperately wanted to fly a carrier and bought both toon and ship only to be - forcefully - parted from it almost immediately.... yes, Eve can be cruel mistress, especially to those that have no patience and are not willing to learn.

Je suis Paris // Köln // Brüssel // Orlando // Nice // Würzburg, München, Ansbach // Saint-Étienne-du-Rouvray

Je suis Berlin // Fort Lauderdale // London // St. Petersburg // Stockholm

Je suis [?]

J'Poll
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-12-31 19:15:08 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Nerath Naaris wrote:
J'Poll wrote:
Nerath Naaris wrote:

That´s possible, likely even. Though perhaps not so much in regard to a mining barge.

Now there is that story about that noob who desperately wanted to fly a carrier and bought both toon and ship only to be - forcefully - parted from it almost immediately.... yes, Eve can be cruel mistress, especially to those that have no patience and are not willing to learn.

Seen worse....

Character that was bought on forums, in a Rorqual in low-sec, humping the gate and whining in local it didn't let him jump.

LolLolLol

I sat there cloaked at the gate considering yelling on comms for some fleet or help the guy.

Eventually helped him (as I can be nice from time to time) as we all made mistakes in our (EVE) life.

Vincent R'lyeh
Screaming Hayabusa
#16 - 2012-12-31 23:09:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent R'lyeh
j'Poll I bow before your festive spirit.............

Now I must go away & drink heavily to attempt to forget the fantasy scenario you just described................

And no in MY version I didn't help the Rorqual

Pirate

I have deliberately developed an air of cynicism that I originally intended to make me appear somewhat louche and caddish but actually comes across as irritable hostility combined with the unspoken threat of sudden violence.....

vikari
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-12-31 23:43:47 UTC
This is a very opinionated view, but I think it would be of value to you.

New characters should remap and spread their attributes. Start with removing all the points from charisma and spread it out amoung the other 4 attributes. Next train your cybernetics skill to at least four and then install the +4 implant set (minutes the charisma, unless you train a skill with charisma). This will help set you up for the fastest training of your basic skills, and the majority of your support skills. When enough time has past, you have some money, finish your cybernetrics skill to five and replace your implants with +5s (minutes the charisma unless you are training as skill that uses it). Once you are finished with the basic ships and the majority of all your support skills. Training will start to get more focused. You can then start doing year long focused training on support or ship/weapon skills. When you focus remap you'll train the fastest, but your pretty much locked in place for a year. You end up picking usually between intelligence/memory (which is for support skills, science, industry) and then perception/willpower (ships and weapons). There are a few groups outside of those two, the leadership, drone and navigation skills being the biggest. However when you look at the skill points and where most will end up, the reduced training speeds of those areas are rarely worth a full year long remap. I was lucky enough to have 2 remaps at one point and so I was able to remap for leadership training and some basic marketing then remap again about 9 months later.

sorry for the long wall of text, however this is the way i've manage to keep my sp/hour high and effeciently moving forward in skill/ability progression.
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#18 - 2013-01-01 01:19:13 UTC

It takes planning and patients to get into most advanced ships... You could probably get into a venture or setup a mining cruisers, BC, or BS in a much shorter time frame...

@ JPoll.... If my corp culture made him a viable target, I would have tried to solo him... in a frigate.... Lol

Alas... there are sooooo many interesting ways that could have went.... ransoming, ganking.... yet you chose to be sooo sweat and innocent... If you tell too many stories like this, you'll give the players in this forum the wrong impression of what to expect in the cold harsh world out there!!!!
J'Poll
Caldari State
#19 - 2013-01-01 01:34:37 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

It takes planning and patients to get into most advanced ships... You could probably get into a venture or setup a mining cruisers, BC, or BS in a much shorter time frame...

@ JPoll.... If my corp culture made him a viable target, I would have tried to solo him... in a frigate.... Lol

Alas... there are sooooo many interesting ways that could have went.... ransoming, ganking.... yet you chose to be sooo sweat and innocent... If you tell too many stories like this, you'll give the players in this forum the wrong impression of what to expect in the cold harsh world out there!!!!

His drone capability would have raped my manticore.

And I rather had him alive at that point so I could go kill him over and over again. If he was that stupid, he likely would make more mistakes in EVE.

So it was either that or kill him once in a juicy ship and have the obvious rage quit after that.

Rache Bartmoss
The Perfect Harvesting Experience
#20 - 2013-01-04 08:26:50 UTC
You could also train up your learning-skills.... ow wait. Oops
12Next page