These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I Won't Build "Your Empire"

Author
AlleyKat
The Unwanted.
#161 - 2012-12-29 07:12:08 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:

So we're hurting people's feelings?

EDIT: Also basing your game choice on the official forum whine is a bad idea.

Well...

EVE does have a reputation as being a little bit tooooo serious sometimes.

It's a spaceship adventure MMO, not a rite of passage for acceptance into some hall of fame where only the ubér elite dare to tread.

It's not the final year of an MD.

You gotta think about the genre: sci-fi - this is a very popular genre, and EVE should be attracting lots more players than they do or are, either that or they take the trial and say 'screw this - I just wanna fly space ships and do sci-fi stuff and have fun'.

Then they jump into null sec and get asked for their inside leg measurements, their blood type, whether they have any assets and then get asked to fill in an online form, have an interview on teamspeak, which is then deliberated and discussed behind closed doors...blah-de-blah.

Too serious for too many.

Mass market gamers just wanna have fun.

AK

This space for rent.

Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#162 - 2012-12-29 07:14:03 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
'.

Then they jump into null sec and get asked for their inside leg measurements, their blood type, whether they have any assets and then get asked to fill in an online form, have an interview on teamspeak, which is then deliberated and discussed behind closed doors...blah-de-blah.

EVE Uni is harder to get into then nearly every nullsec corp i've joined hth
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#163 - 2012-12-29 07:22:11 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Fal Dara wrote:

4. the 'bloated ego' thing ... other than the fact that i own things most 0.0 people dont, and never will (because losing ships is spendy, and turns them into hobos), i dont see it. See me in my corp chat some time--i make no ilusions about knowing everything--infact, i'd bet i ask the most questions there on any given day. There's no 'ego' in that sense.

What? A nullsec player is just as likely to spend money on "Spendy" ships as a highsec player. I mean I guess I could officer fit my ratting Vindicator and stuff it in my deadspace fit carrier just to make a ridiculous killmail happen.

I mean usually I'm stuck in a sabre for PVP because no one else flies them worth a damn, but if I wasn't I'd be in my Cynabal which I named Cinnabon.

I need to see your officer fit Vindicator/deadspace carrier lossmail.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#164 - 2012-12-29 07:22:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Alavaria Fera
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
Aramatheia wrote:
But no go on, delete highsec, its the area of space in which most the news is probably generated, with all the gank missions hulkageddons and so forth.

lol
nullsec side projects are literally the only thing externally significant to have ever happened in highsec

Yeah it is pretty funny. The only time Highsec makes the news is during Hulkageddon. Outside of that it's 0.0 news 24/7 with the occasional foray into something hilarious that Rooks and Kings did in Lowsec/Syndicate.

We accidentally their highsec?

Opps, did I drop a little ~ player generated content ~ in your secure space?

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#165 - 2012-12-29 07:30:06 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:

You gotta think about the genre: sci-fi - this is a very popular genre, and EVE should be attracting lots more players than they do or are, either that or they take the trial and say 'screw this - I just wanna fly space ships and do sci-fi stuff and have fun'.
AK

You're right about the genre, it is hugely popular, however I think what puts people off Eve, and tbh it's no bad thing that it does, is that, unlike pretty much every other game out there, how you play has comparitivly severe consequences for both the player and the people they associate with ingame. It's the only game I've ever played one word in chat can cause a major war or a sudden and expensive death at the hands of other players, I gather UO pre trammel was about as close as you can get.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#166 - 2012-12-29 07:35:31 UTC
Jonah Gravenstein wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:

AK

You're right about the genre, it is hugely popular, however I think what puts people off Eve, and tbh it's no bad thing that it does, is that, unlike pretty much every other game out there, how you play has comparitivly severe consequences for both the player and the people they associate with ingame. It's the only game I've ever played one word in chat can cause a major war or a sudden and expensive death at the hands of other players, I gather UO pre trammel was about as close as you can get.

What about post trammel?

Jonah Gravenstein
Machiavellian Space Bastards
#167 - 2012-12-29 08:01:38 UTC
post trammel? If Eve ever gets that way rest assured I'll be one of the first out of the door, never played UO myself but the people I know that did say that Trammel was the death of PvP in that game, everybody just beared it up on Trammel and Felucca became a barren wasteland.

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.

New Player FAQ

Feyd's Survival Pack

TharOkha
0asis Group
#168 - 2012-12-29 08:28:35 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
masternerdguy wrote:
"I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."
So? Isnt this the main essence of SANDBOX gameplay?
Quote:
This is the epitome of the fundamental misunderstanding hi seccers have about the nature of this game. It is based on 3 incorrect assumptions.

1. I Am Special - Nobody is special. Everyone is a worthless until proven otherwise. Your value is solely what you bring to the community.
  2. EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.
  3. EVE is About Small Gang / Solo - EVE has never been balanced around small gang or solo, and this has never been pushed by any of the advertising. In fact the opposite is pushed.

Interesting, so you have made those assumptions yourself so you could disprove them later in this thread? Arent you a creationist?
Quote:
You resort to blaming the evil nullseccers for all your problems

We what? Big smile This is becoming fun. Please check all whining threads about hisec from the last month, maybe youll find what kind of persons have problem (and if they come from hisec!)
Quote:
The definition of casual gamer seems to be pretty flexible these days. I didn't know grinding missions or ice mining for 14 hours a day was casual.

Another fallacy from your "EVE-creationist" mind. nobody thinks that grinding missions or mining all day is casual play. Blink
Aramatheia
Tiffany and Co.
#169 - 2012-12-29 11:38:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Aramatheia
im not trying to imply that no one does anything in nullsec, but seriously what exactly am i supposed to take out of "aliance a lost control of ZCX-257 to alliance b" its like really, 1 system who cares (just as an example, from things like i used to see in cq and on billboards).

Then theres hulkageddon and that really ignites the fires, or the burn jita those are the events that stand out more to me than anything that happens in null. Because turning highsec on its head is big, figthing in null is expected
Nicolo da'Vicenza
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#170 - 2012-12-29 11:40:02 UTC
anything of note happening in highsec is newsworthy
Eight Two
SWIFT Inc.
#171 - 2012-12-29 13:07:05 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:

EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.

Confirming that hard work and commitment is important in videogames and that people shouldn't be playing at all if they have jobs, families, their own house/flat, money, sex or a combination of the former.

There should be a personal background check when creating an account. OP thanks for pointing out, CCP please fix!
Frying Doom
#172 - 2012-12-29 13:10:59 UTC
Eight Two wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:

EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.

Confirming that hard work and commitment is important in videogames and that people shouldn't be playing at all if they have jobs, families, their own house/flat, money, sex or a combination of the former.

There should be a personal background check when creating an account. OP thanks for pointing out, CCP please fix!

You mean your not a brain in a jar being fed eve directly into your cerebellum?

Get the infidel.

Oh wait no arm and legs Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Kitty Bear
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#173 - 2012-12-29 13:25:33 UTC
Lovely Dumplings wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Lovely Dumplings wrote:
It's really, in the end, massive differences in the "way" people play EVE. I'll be picking on Goons some, but they make a good example.

A new Goon comes into game, he or she is instantly told where to go. They jump into 0.0 with nary a care, smiles on their faces and shiptoasting on their minds. Popped ships get replaced, experienced FCs go over losses, everyone has a great time, newbie becomes a valued member of EVE life. It doesn't "feel" like empire building to the noob, because he's made welcome from day one, and just has fun.

This is called picking on people?

EVE Law. You aren't allowed to say anything good about Goons, if you aren't a Goon. It's in the Highsec Carebear Charter, right after you swear to never activate your highs on other characters.

Just to add to the thought, I was chilling in rookiechat watching the spam fly by. A noobster asked if there was anything other than mining to do in EVE, and I saw "Nope, just mine till you get skills to run missions". This offended me to the core, so I explained how to pull a simple protection racket using alts, that any fresh off the bus could accomplish. Noobchat exploded with "That's wrong don't do it" "You'll get banned!" "Stop telling people to break the rules!"

With that kind of welcome to EVE, it's no wonder people get so spazzed over bumping, ganking, and actual PVP.

If it involves recycling those alts it is.

And 'mining' offends you ??
seriously, take a chill pill .. it's ONLY A GAME
MatrixSkye Mk2
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#174 - 2012-12-29 14:35:58 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
In many of the defensive cries from hi seccers attempting to justify that hi sec is balanced I've been seeing a recurring theme: "I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

"I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

This is the epitome of the fundamental misunderstanding hi seccers have about the nature of this game. It is based on 3 incorrect assumptions.

1. I Am Special - Nobody is special. Everyone is a worthless until proven otherwise. Your value is solely what you bring to the community.
  2. EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.
  3. EVE is About Small Gang / Solo - EVE has never been balanced around small gang or solo, and this has never been pushed by any of the advertising. In fact the opposite is pushed.

So what do you resort to? You resort to blaming the evil nullseccers for all your problems and talking about how unfair it is that you might lose, or that setting up your 5 man alliance in the middle of Deklein won't work, or that you got blobbed. Then when that doesn't work you cry about how important it is to be a "casual gamer".

The definition of casual gamer seems to be pretty flexible these days. I didn't know grinding missions or ice mining for 14 hours a day was casual.

Anyway, the nerf will happen. Summer is coming.

This post accentuates rather nicely why it is I stay away from null sec politics. And for that I thank you. I have to work hard so that some day I might get to have fun? You're mad because in this sandbox game I have declined your enticing offer of building your empire in the hopes that some day I too may have fun?

Thanks. But no thanks. I think I'll continue playing the game wrong and against your wishes and have my fun my way... If you don't mind.

Successfully doinitwrong™ since 2006.

TharOkha
0asis Group
#175 - 2012-12-29 15:04:56 UTC  |  Edited by: TharOkha
MatrixSkye Mk2 wrote:
This post accentuates rather nicely why it is I stay away from null sec politics. And for that I thank you. I have to work hard so that some day I might get to have fun? You're mad because in this sandbox game I have declined your enticing offer of building your empire in the hopes that some day I too may have fun?

Thanks. But no thanks. I think I'll continue playing the game wrong and against your wishes and have my fun my way... If you don't mind.

OP thinks that if you enjoy game or somehow you relaxing by playing it ...YOU´RE DOING IT WRONG.. After all, missery and saddnes is the reason why we play games after we come from work. isnt it
Murk Paradox
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#176 - 2012-12-29 15:51:54 UTC
Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:
anything of note happening in highsec is newsworthy

I think thats the point. Empire is not supposed to be as drama filled as more... er, "diplomatic" areas of k-space.

This post has been signed by Murk Paradox and no other accounts, alternate or otherwise. Any other post claiming to be this holder's is subject to being banned at the discretion of the GM Team as it would violate the TOS in regards to impersonation. Signed, Murk Paradox. In triplicate.

Doc Severiide
Doomheim
#177 - 2012-12-29 17:07:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Severiide
masternerdguy wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:
Consider the people who are yet to play the game.

Comments and threads like this push the would-be gamer away, which is why this game is considered hardcore, and that it requires a significant investment of time and money to play.

Sorry, but that's the truth - and making the game even more hardcore deters too many people.

Some people just like to fly spaceships on their computer.

AK

What an idiotic response (again). That's not what he said. He said new people won't pick up the game if they think it's too much hassle. Man you are obtuse. (Yes look it up in the dictionary)...
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#178 - 2012-12-29 17:11:09 UTC
AlleyKat wrote:
It's a spaceship adventure MMO, not a rite of passage for acceptance into some hall of fame where only the ubér elite dare to tread.

I agree, but then I'm not in the uber elite. Convincing the uber elite of this fact, tho... yeah, good luck with that. They think they own the whole damn game.

They're easy to spot, too, because all their threads are the same: "Nerf everything except what I enjoy!"

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Doc Severiide
Doomheim
#179 - 2012-12-29 17:17:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Severiide
AlleyKat wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:

EDIT: Also basing your game choice on the official forum whine is a bad idea.

Well...

EVE does have a reputation as being a little bit tooooo serious sometimes.

It's not the final year of an MD.

AK

Agreed. But I think you are wasting your breath on that short sighted nub...

Nicolo da'Vicenza wrote:

EVE Uni is harder to get into then nearly every nullsec corp i've joined hth

They are the most Anal corp in the game too...
Katran Luftschreck wrote:
I agree, but then I'm not in the uber elite. Convincing the uber elite of this fact, tho... yeah, good luck with that. They think they own the whole damn game.

They're easy to spot, too, because all their threads are the same: "Nerf everything except what I enjoy!"

And they are funny too, so serious and all..but jerks at the same time...