These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Mineral and PLEX price correlation. Forge, 15 Oct - 14 Nov. 2012

Author
Samroski
Middle-Earth
#1 - 2012-12-23 09:33:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Samroski
TLDR:
Statistical analysis showed that for most minerals, daily prices positively correlated with the no. of market orders (for that mineral) i.e. when one goes up the other also goes up, and when one goes down the other also goes down. The positive correlation was especially strong for tritanium and pyerite, moderate for zydrine and megacyte, and weak for mexallon.

The daily price for PLEX, on the other hand, had a weak negative correlation with the number of market orders for PLEX i.e. when one goes up the other may go down a bit. (stop reading now to avoid further brain trauma)

Background
VV's recent thread prompted me to look at some data. This is just a preliminary analysis to get used to handling Eve data.

Methods
Decided to initially look at a 92 day period, starting a month or so after the barge changes: Oct 15 to Nov. 14. As far as I know, there were no major events or patches/changes during this period.

Information from the Market Details Table was copied into Excel. Data was imported into Stata. Frequencies and distributions were studied . Scatter plots used to visualize relations. Pearson's r correlation coefficient was calculated for the continuous variables: no. of market orders; Quantity sold; and daily Price ("Avg."), for each mineral. Same for PLEX.

Did the same calculations for the the last year (to date), to compare with the 92 day data. The last year included all the ups and downs, patches, hulkgeddon, loot drop changes, barge changes etc. I note that this comparison period is not ideal, especially as the last year included the 92 day period being "compared".

Results
No. of Orders & Quantity Sold
For both the 3 month and yearly analysis, for all minerals and for PLEX, there was a strong positive correlation between the number of orders for that item and the quantity sold. For isogen, zydrine and megacyte, the positive correlation was weak to moderate.

Daily Price and No. of Market Orders
For tritanium and pyerite there was a strong positive correlation between daily price (avg.) and the number of market orders. The relation was moderately positive for megacyte and zydrine and weakly positive for mexallon. Weak negative correlations were noted between daily price and number of orders for nocxium and morphite.

Price and Quantity Sold
Moderately positive correlations were found between daily price and quantity sold, for tritanium and pyerite. A weak positive correlation existed for mexallon. These correlations were not seen in the year analysis- if anything very weak negative correlations were noted (see tables below).

I have restricted myself to some basic results. I would be delighted to provide further details.

Discussion
A positive correlation does not imply causality. With the above analysis it is not possibly to ascertain whether increase in the number of orders causes the price to increase, or vice versa. Further analysis may shed light on this.

For all the minerals as well as for PLEX, the very strong positive correlation between no. of market orders and quantity sold is consistent at the 3 month and yearly intervals. It appears that these variables are inter-dependent.

There is no information available on the number of buy and sell orders separately (a total figure for orders is provided in the market details table).

An increase in the number of buy orders is most likely to correlate with an increase in price, whereas an increase in the number of sell orders should have the opposite effect. One may expect these two effects to cancel each other out over time, but it is clear from the analysis that an overall increase in the number of orders for a mineral is related to an increase in price.

This trend is opposite for PLEX, where an increase in the total number of orders is related to a decrease in price (weak negative correlation).

Conclusion:
For minerals, the average price appeared to be positively correlated to the number of orders. The relation between price and quantity for minerals was not as clear, with some minerals showing a mild positive correlation for the selected 3 month period, and an overall negative correlation over the last year.

PLEX average price was neither correlated to the number of orders, nor to the quantity. In fact a weak negative correlation existed for both comparisons at both the 3 month and yearly interval.

Selected Tables
For masochists, with the r values (correlation coefficients), relating:
1. no. of orders
2. quantity sold
3. daily price- "avg"

Trit -92d | orders quant avg
-------------+---------------------------
orders | 1.0000
. quant | 0.5870 1.0000
.... avg | 0.4094 0.3750 1.0000

Trit - yr | orders quant avg
orders | 1.0000
. quant | 0.3380 1.0000
.... avg | 0.3561 -0.2519 1.0000

Pyerite 92d | orders quant avg
---------------+---------------------------
orders | 1.0000
.quant | 0.5196 1.0000
.... avg | 0.4065 0.3521 1.0000

Pyerite yr | orders quant avg
orders | 1.0000
.quant | 0.4031 1.0000
.... avg | 0.0747 -0.3769 1.0000

PLEX 92d | orders quant avg
orders| 1.0000
. quant | 0.9146 1.0000
.... avg | -0.1590 -0.1437 1.0000

PLEX yr | orders quant avg
orders | 1.0000
. quant | 0.9457 1.0000
.... avg | -0.1801 -0.1974 1.0000

Any colour you like.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#2 - 2012-12-23 13:19:09 UTC
Samroski wrote:

Results
No. of Orders & Quantity
For both the 3 month and yearly analysis for all minerals and for PLEX, there was a strong positive correlation between the number of orders and quantity, except for isogen, zydrine and megacyte, where the positive correlation was weak to moderate.

I am very pleased to see this work of yours. I have always admired your dedication and this is just another instance of your outstanding community enrichment.

Said that, these data match with my own research. How did you find Mexallon to be? Sometimes this little critter brings in some surprises.

Samroski wrote:

Price and no. of Orders
For tritanium and pyerite there was a strong positive correlation between price (avg.) and the number of orders. The relation was moderately positive for megacyte and zydrine and weakly positive for mexallon. Weak negative correlations were noted between price and number of orders for nocxium and morphite.

This also matches my own findings. There are also some indications about low ends acting as a loss leader to isogen. That's pure "eye" evaluation though.

In closing,

I am going to send you some item names that may be used as indicators for EvE's playerbase numbers health and for buy and hold (and sell at the right time) for the whole year. I suggest you analyze them expecially in the 1-2 months before an expansion (expecially Christmas).
Feel free to do whatever you want with them.
Samroski
Middle-Earth
#3 - 2012-12-23 15:31:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Samroski
Look forward to doing the analysis on items you recommend VV.

The tables for Mexallon are below.

Strong positive correlation between no. of market orders for Mexallon and quantity sold, at both 3 month and year analysis.

There is no relation between daily price of mexallon and no. of orders at the yearly level,. Weakly positive correlation for the 3 months.

Daily price of mexallon is moderately positively related to quantity sold in the 3 months studied, but no relation exists at the year level (using this method). (see tables at the end)

The table immediately below relates the daily price of mexallon (mxavg) to the daily price of all other minerals during the 3 month period. (this is the nice stuff)

Strong positive correlation can be seen between Mexallon price (mxavg) and pyerite price (pavg) during this 3 month period (oct 15 to nov. 14, 2012) Weak negative correlations of Mexallon price are seen with isogen (iavg), morphite (moavg) and zydrine (zavg) prices.

................. | mxavg
-------------+---------------
mxavg | 1.0000
iavg | -0.2682
mgavg | -0.1624
moavg | -0.2842
navg | -0.1448
pavg | 0.5456
tavg | 0.1196
zavg | -0.2507

The tables for Mexallon relating no of orders to quantity sold and to daily price (numbers are Pearson's r correlation coefficients)
Key: mx = mexallon 92 day study period, mxy = mexallon year period, avg=daily price.

..............| mxorders mxquant mxavg
mxorders | 1.0000
. mxquant | 0.5829 1.0000
....mxavg | 0.1873 0.2886 1.0000

. pwcorr mxyorders mxyquant mxyavg

...............| mxyord~s mxyquant mxyavg
mxyorders | 1.0000
.mxyquant | 0.4754 1.0000
....mxyavg | 0.0411 -0.0616 1.0000

Any colour you like.

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#4 - 2012-12-23 17:23:06 UTC
I've taken the liberty to change the title of this thread, so I do not need to create another thread to post the following related information:

The table underneath shows Peasrson's r correlation coefficient values when relating the daily price of minerals to each other, over the last year (and to PLEX).

| zyavg tyavg pyavg nyavg mxyavg moyavg mgyavg iyavg plexya
-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
zyavg | 1.0000
tyavg | 0.1387 1.0000
pyavg | -0.3409 0.8005 1.0000
nyavg | 0.7137 0.4362 0.1151 1.0000
mxyavg | -0.3745 0.6966 0.8735 -0.0105 1.0000
moyavg | 0.7826 0.5070 0.1115 0.8778 -0.0141 1.0000
mgyavg | 0.8237 -0.3625 -0.7265 0.3803 -0.7115 0.4772 1.0000
iyavg | -0.1021 0.4939 0.7114 0.4897 0.5912 0.2965 -0.4293 1.0000
plexya | -0.2230 0.3396 0.6223 0.3158 0.5509 0.1170 -0.5125 0.8672 1.0000

plexya = plex average daily price, iyavg=isogen daily price, nyavg=nocxium price, mxyavg=mexallon, moyavg=morphite, and so on.

The higher the r value is to 1, the stronger is the relation between the variables. 1 is a perfect correlation (seen in the table above when variables are compared to themselves)

For example, in the table above, zydrine (zyavg) has very strong positive correlation with morphite (moyavg). r = .82

Thus during the last year when zydrine increased, so did morphite. Similarly if the price decreased for one, it also decreased for the other.

Another example: a strong negative (-0.73) correlation exists between nocxium (nyavg) and megacyte (mgyavg). Thus during the last year, their prices moved in opposite directions.

During the last year PLEX (plexya) was strongly positively related to pyerite, mexallon and isogen.

There is a strong negative correlation of PLEX price with Megacyte price.

The eventual application of statistics in this context would be to do predictions. Predictive intervals for means of continuous variables may be generated easily, based on the observed relations. Not sure how to apply this and other concepts to the market, but I will continue experimentation.

Any colour you like.

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#5 - 2012-12-23 17:41:08 UTC  |  Edited by: Samroski
I say above that predictive intervals may be generated easily, but that may be a mis-statement. The issue is knowing the variance (or standard deviation).

I looked at the high and low vales that we are given in the market details table (where I got the info from), and these values do not look like standard deviation. They do not vary equally around the mean. So much so that at times the mean (which they call "avg.", so maybe it is not the mean) lies outside the high-low interval!

So what are these high and low values? How do we find the variance?

Edit: Maybe the "avg" is the median (as the median is a type of average). They're possibly using the median, as outliers tend to effect the mean a lot.

Still not sure what high and low represent.

Any colour you like.

Samroski
Middle-Earth
#6 - 2012-12-24 04:23:44 UTC
Correlation of the daily price (of minerals and plex) for the 3 month period (Oct 15 to Nov 14)

| iavg navg mgavg moavg mxavg pavg tavg zavg plexa
-------------+---------------------------------------------------------------
iavg | 1.0000
navg | 0.9579 1.0000
mgavg | -0.2490 -0.1739 1.0000
moavg | 0.7518 0.8049 0.2787 1.0000
mxavg | -0.2682 -0.1448 -0.1624 -0.2842 1.0000
pavg | -0.5244 -0.4216 0.4503 -0.2358 0.5456 1.0000
tavg | -0.6125 -0.6139 0.4561 -0.3880 0.1196 0.4849 1.0000
zavg | -0.1043 -0.0631 0.9190 0.3830 -0.2507 0.3427 0.4793 1.0000
plexa | 0.9171 0.8803 -0.3056 0.7169 -0.3634 -0.5922 -0.6538 -0.1906 1.0000

Note the following significant and very strong positive correlations during this period:
1. isogen and nocxium 0.96
2.plex and isogen 0.92
3. plex and nocxium 0.88
4. plex and morphite 0.72
6. Zydrine and morphite 0.92
7. Morphite and isogen 0.75

Note the following negative correlations during this period:
1. plex with pyerite -0.59 and with tritanium -0.65
2. tritanium with isogen and nocxium \
3. pyerite and isogen

Any colour you like.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#7 - 2012-12-27 10:20:07 UTC
Have you tried this intellectually savory operation: check for the relation between PLEX and Technetium and when. And why.
Samroski
Middle-Earth
#8 - 2012-12-27 13:56:25 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Have you tried this intellectually savory operation: check for the relation between PLEX and Technetium and when. And why.

Not sure whether I'll be able to figure out the why, but I'll do the analysis and post here.

Any colour you like.

Musashi Date
#9 - 2012-12-28 20:01:20 UTC
Hmm, I'm seeing a downtrend starting in the mineral prices. The price of PLEX is also getting nearer 550M over the past few weeks.
Dave Stark
#10 - 2012-12-28 20:25:58 UTC
Musashi Date wrote:
Hmm, I'm seeing a downtrend starting in the mineral prices. The price of PLEX is also getting nearer 550M over the past few weeks.

indeed. slightly worrying since i've been stockpiling minerals.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#11 - 2012-12-29 01:42:43 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Musashi Date wrote:

Noo, why people don't read my thread. Then they lose money Cry
mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#12 - 2012-12-29 02:53:56 UTC
I dunno, short of a change of plans in tiericide minerals will be going back up soon enough. Just look at what cruisers did to them...

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Thoraemond
Far Ranger
#13 - 2012-12-29 04:10:08 UTC
Samroski wrote:
There is no information available on the number of buy and sell orders separately (a total figure for orders is provided in the market details table).

"Orders" in the Market History table is the number of transactions executed. Since each execution is necessarily the matching of a buy order to a sell order, the figures are identical. The Market History table does not record the number of "standing orders" (buy or sell) that were posted on the market at that date, but only completed transactions.

Samroski wrote:
I looked at the high and low vales that we are given in the market details table (where I got the info from), and these values do not look like standard deviation. They do not vary equally around the mean. So much so that at times the mean (which they call "avg.", so maybe it is not the mean) lies outside the high-low interval!

So what are these high and low values? How do we find the variance?

Edit: Maybe the "avg" is the median (as the median is a type of average). They're possibly using the median, as outliers tend to effect the mean a lot.

Still not sure what high and low represent.

I understand the high and low to be the actual high and low transactional prices after the removal of outliers using some unknown (to me) trimming method. In this forum (and elsewhere), I have seen speculation about the trimming method, but have not myself seen (from CCP or player testing) anything to confirm the actual method. I would be interested to learn the trimming method.

I have never myself seen any daily "Avg" outside the Low" and "High" (or any supposed "Median" on the chart outside the Donchian channel), and would be interested in seeing an example of a "mean" outside the low and high.

At some point historically (maybe 4 years), the Market History charts in-game were labelled "Median Day Average" but displayed the mean instead of the median. The Market History table said "Avg" and showed the mean also (which is fair there, since mean is indeed a type of average). I tested the error with the chart and bug-reported it, but eventually—after a BH successfully reproduced it and added detail beyond my screenshots—it was flagged "not reproduceable" and was "attached to a defect"... I'm not really sure what that means as far as fixing the error goes, though I never noticed it as fixed in any patch notes.

I believe, though I did not myself test, that even longer ago (e.g., 8 years) the values were medians, but that at some point, they were changed to means because it is computationally simpler (less demanding on the market servers) to keep updating mean throughout each trading day. It's possible that intraday "avg" numbers are a mean, but that historical figures (those for the last full day prior to the latest downtime) are calculated differently from intraday figures and are actually medians, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

An old thread on this sort of topic: http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1226826.

Also: statistics are fun! If you go beyond the basics, keep in mind that commodity prices are not typically normally distributed (not many negative-priced transactions!), so there are some caveats in some methods that assume sphericity.
Joshua Vaughn Lampen
Archer Investments Initiative
#14 - 2012-12-29 04:11:20 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Musashi Date wrote:

Hence why I shed all of mine prior to the big Christmas break. Expected them to all go down considerably. Will buy up replacements once they've largely bottomed out.
Dave Stark
#15 - 2012-12-29 07:17:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Dave Stark
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
Musashi Date wrote:

Noo, why people don't read my thread. Then they lose money Cry

i'm a miner, it's not like i'm "losing" money on this. i'm just not making as much.
minerals are down, plex is down, the time it takes me to buy a plex in hours is largely unchanged.
mynnna
State War Academy
Caldari State
#16 - 2012-12-29 07:20:41 UTC
"I'm not losing money, I'm just not making as much."

Oh god, now you've done it. Everyone, run for cover!

Member of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal

Dave Stark
#17 - 2012-12-29 07:23:48 UTC
mynnna wrote:

*shrug*
not like i can influence mineral prices, if prices are down then they're down. just going to have to accept that and only sell the minimum i need to be able to afford what i need to purchase and wait until prices are more favorable in order to dump the rest of my stock.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#18 - 2012-12-29 10:49:02 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
mynnna wrote:

*shrug*
not like i can influence mineral prices, if prices are down then they're down. just going to have to accept that and only sell the minimum i need to be able to afford what i need to purchase and wait until prices are more favorable in order to dump the rest of my stock.

I am not going to tell you how to plan your strategies but here's an example of possible choices:

When prices drop, you can draw a very simple line (even with Paint!) to know when people are starting to panic dump.

If you are holding stuff at that time, you start losing on value, the more you wait the more you lose (hence the "panic" adjective).
If you are holding stuff past the first down swing (price makes a zig zag down, the moving averages draw a "S") then it's too late.

You may as well keep the stuff for when prices bottomed out and rising again. This is expecially hard to do at Christmas because only some commodities will rise back up again so much before the next Christmas.

This is a non issue for some - I am already gathering up the materials that will sell huge in 1-2 next expansions - but if you have a shorter time horizon you could stay more liquid now and more invested come the summer. I.e. I bought Zydrine and Mega at July-September and sold right before this expansion. I have now bought other "short term" materials because on March-April they will rise to a top.
Dave Stark
#19 - 2012-12-29 11:05:00 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
mynnna wrote:

*shrug*

I am not going to tell you how to plan your strategies but here's an example of possible choices:

When prices drop, you can draw a very simple line (even with Paint!) to know when people are starting to panic dump.

If you are holding stuff at that time, you start losing on value, the more you wait the more you lose (hence the "panic" adjective).
If you are holding stuff past the first down swing (price makes a zig zag down, the moving averages draw a "S") then it's too late.

You may as well keep the stuff for when prices bottomed out and rising again. This is expecially hard to do at Christmas because only some commodities will rise back up again so much before the next Christmas.

This is a non issue for some - I am already gathering up the materials that will sell huge in 1-2 next expansions - but if you have a shorter time horizon you could stay more liquid now and more invested come the summer. I.e. I bought Zydrine and Mega at July-September and sold right before this expansion. I have now bought other "short term" materials because on March-April they will rise to a top.

as long as i'm liquid enough to purchase a plex for my account i'm fine. other than that i can hold minerals until the end of time. it would seem we're at the "too late" stage anyway, looking at trit's moving average.
Samroski
Middle-Earth
#20 - 2012-12-29 12:02:59 UTC
Thoraemond wrote:

"Orders" in the Market History table is the number of transactions executed. Since each execution is necessarily the matching of a buy order to a sell order, the figures are identical. The Market History table does not record the number of "standing orders" (buy or sell) that were posted on the market at that date, but only completed transactions.

This really helps. Thanks :)
Quote:

I understand the high and low to be the actual high and low transactional prices after the removal of outliers using some unknown (to me) trimming method. In this forum (and elsewhere), I have seen speculation about the trimming method, but have not myself seen (from CCP or player testing) anything to confirm the actual method. I would be interested to learn the trimming method.

I have never myself seen any daily "Avg" outside the Low" and "High" (or any supposed "Median" on the chart outside the Donchian channel), and would be interested in seeing an example of a "mean" outside the low and high.

At some point historically (maybe 4 years), the Market History charts in-game were labelled "Median Day Average" but displayed the mean instead of the median. The Market History table said "Avg" and showed the mean also (which is fair there, since mean is indeed a type of average). I tested the error with the chart and bug-reported it, but eventually—after a BH successfully reproduced it and added detail beyond my screenshots—it was flagged "not reproduceable" and was "attached to a defect"... I'm not really sure what that means as far as fixing the error goes, though I never noticed it as fixed in any patch notes.

I believe, though I did not myself test, that even longer ago (e.g., 8 years) the values were medians, but that at some point, they were changed to means because it is computationally simpler (less demanding on the market servers) to keep updating mean throughout each trading day. It's possible that intraday "avg" numbers are a mean, but that historical figures (those for the last full day prior to the latest downtime) are calculated differently from intraday figures and are actually medians, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

An old thread on this sort of topic: http://community.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1226826.

Thank you for the information and the history. Think there is room for some more experimentation to
(i) reconfirm that the "avg" is really the mean (though this has already been tested by someone in the links above)
(ii) find out what the low and high values really are

Should not be too difficult to test. Possibly by performing a number of transactions for a rare item. Will experiment.

Any colour you like.

12Next page