These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Assembly Hall

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

[Proposal] Name Changing

First post
Author
Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#101 - 2011-10-19 01:52:40 UTC
I really don't agree with transferring characters at all so I really don't like the idea of changing names on a whim either.

I don't think it's that big an issue with the vast majority of players and I would rather CCP spend their time fixing the broken aspects of spaceships and game mechanics that minor issues like names.

And before the OP goes all emo, like she has on other's that have commented in the negative, this is my opinion take it or leave it.
Malcorath Sacerdos
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#102 - 2011-10-19 09:26:31 UTC
Smiling Menace wrote:
I really don't agree with transferring characters at all so I really don't like the idea of changing names on a whim either.

I don't think it's that big an issue with the vast majority of players and I would rather CCP spend their time fixing the broken aspects of spaceships and game mechanics that minor issues like names.

And before the OP goes all emo, like she has on other's that have commented in the negative, this is my opinion take it or leave it.

while i do argee that fixing broken things shuld be a priority .

however

progress shuld also be a priority .

and altho the majority will not need / want a name change NOW... some day im shure most will at one time want / have wanted a name change.
Akara Ito
Phalanx Solutions
#103 - 2011-10-19 11:17:49 UTC
As long as its trackable, possible once once per year and awefully expensive, why not ?
But if done it should be really expensive, like 5 Plex for example.
If its too cheap it will be done too much and for too stupid reasons.
Paulize Dn'Injer
#104 - 2011-10-21 03:06:56 UTC
Smiling Menace wrote:

Hey there, OP going emo here! This is my opinion on your opinion so take it or leave it:

If you consider all the proposed regulations and balances listed a ‘whim’ then I’ll just “leave it”

I’ll “take it” that the most vexing aspect of character transfers is the absence of accessible documentation. Again, Name Changing provides a regulated alternative to this

The magnitude of importance in developing Name Changing is kinda directly proportional to those suffering. Since you don’t care to empathize, I’ll “leave it”

I’ll “take it” that the absence of Name Changing in such an epic MMO makes it ‘broken.’ That you want to let EVE stagnate, I’ll “leave it”

And before the poster goes all…
FloppieTheBanjoClown
Arcana Imperii Ltd.
#105 - 2011-10-21 03:17:04 UTC
I've advocated name changing with character transfers in this and other threads. I want to amend that.

One thing to remember: a lot of people use neutral alts in highsec to accomplish various things during wartime. The ability to easily/cheaply rename alts without them being transferred means that neutral alts would be considerably more effective, as they could be renamed on a whim to avoid being spotted. Even limiting it to being done when a toon is transferred would just mean that two corpmates would need to trade neutral alts in order to rename them.

To that end, I would suggest that once a character has been transferred to an account and renamed, that name is PERMANENTLY associated with that toon on that account. This would limit the number of renames to the number of accounts a group controlled.

And of course, contacts need to follow the name change so that they retain their standings with players and corporations.

Founding member of the Belligerent Undesirables movement.

Paulize Dn'Injer
#106 - 2011-10-21 03:18:43 UTC
Sentenced 1989 wrote:
Why not allow name change once per lifetime? If you made a mistake at the begging and choose some stupid number to your name because you weren't sure will you even keep playing why not give ONE time name change only

As far as limitation goes, I would suggest

1. You standing, sec status.... remain the same as they were before
2. Your new name is " Y aka old name" for like 3 months and then it is just Y (where Y is new name)
3. Your name is changed on every list (watch list, contacts...) and notification is sent to those people
4. You can't change your name if you have kill rights
5. You can't change your name with negative sec. status
6. You can change your name only once
7. Payment would be PLEX, 3000 aurum, 5$, 10$... don't care...

And don't tell me about scamming, what could you possibly scam? Do you remember names of scammers/gankers and rest? Maybe you do for few of them, but there could always come somebody new, so that doesn't make difference, since you probably don't know every single of them on server

In RL you can change your name, but all your rep goes with it, if you need to go to jail, youll go to jail even after name change, so rep stays the same, maybe implement new tab with old name or write it down at employment history as name change from x to y.

And yeah, one time name change would be used mainly by player who simply wish to change their name and keep sp, if somebody really wants to scam you or something, hell make alt and do it anyway.

I don't see the argument against that, if you can change your corp, you could change your name as well

Oh yeah, and there should be rule against caps lock names :D

Much respect for the thorough post (you too Smiling Menace). I believe the only thing that isn't currently included in the OP is "2. Your new name is 'Y aka old name' for like 3 months and then it is just Y (where Y is new name)" which merits addition to the 'Debated Feature' list. The important thing is that we agree that Name Changing is feasible

Heheh, how 'bout names with numbers and/or irregular capitalization while we're at it!
Sentenced 1989
#107 - 2011-10-21 14:54:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentenced 1989
Paulize Dn'Injer wrote:

Much respect for the thorough post (you too Smiling Menace). I believe the only thing that isn't currently included in the OP is "2. Your new name is 'Y aka old name' for like 3 months and then it is just Y (where Y is new name)" which merits addition to the 'Debated Feature' list. The important thing is that we agree that Name Changing is feasible

Heheh, how 'bout names with numbers and/or irregular capitalization while we're at it!

Yeah, I agree with you on everything, I would just limit name change once per account.

That would eliminate constant name changing during wartime or any other reason for which people don't agree with name changing. So if you change name, even if you transfer your character to new owner, he would still have the same restriction, so if you changed name once, he can't do it and vice verse. I would even be happy if you could change only one part of name.

And yeah, there should be some option to report name or something if lets say you character name is Ian (IAN) and some other character has name lan (LAN) because that can because it can lead to confusion, but with list and standings that is secondary in my name since it's not so easy to make a mistake if you are careful (but it can happen).
Kaelie Onren
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#108 - 2011-10-21 15:20:13 UTC
Don't worry paulize, giving quarter to some counter arguments isn't going to hurt your campaign to run for CSM. Actually it really helps to improve your appeal to the moderate and right center demographic.
Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#109 - 2011-10-22 01:57:31 UTC
Paulize Dn'Injer wrote:
Smiling Menace wrote:

Hey there, OP going emo here! This is my opinion on your opinion so take it or leave it:

If you consider all the proposed regulations and balances listed a ‘whim’ then I’ll just “leave it”

I’ll “take it” that the most vexing aspect of character transfers is the absence of accessible documentation. Again, Name Changing provides a regulated alternative to this

The magnitude of importance in developing Name Changing is kinda directly proportional to those suffering. Since you don’t care to empathize, I’ll “leave it”

I’ll “take it” that the absence of Name Changing in such an epic MMO makes it ‘broken.’ That you want to let EVE stagnate, I’ll “leave it”

And before the poster goes all…

The problem I have with name changing is the ability to see who's in local in the area I currently live in. This means that I know most of the bad guys at a glance, know what they fly and how they behave.

Allowing name changes for everyone would lead to a lot more effort for the people that do live in an area for awhile(read null/low, less population so easier to know everyone around you).

I think I would allow a name change only once per character on an account if it was due to a bad choice of name for someone but as to giving people carte blanche to change whenever they felt like it a definite no go for me I am afraid.

I still think this would only affect a small number of subscribers as most people once they've chosen a name identify with this name so are likely to keep it anyway.

I probably wouldn't have chosen the name I have on my main account but it's me now and I will never change it.
Kaelie Onren
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#110 - 2011-10-22 04:12:22 UTC
Smiling Menace wrote:

The problem I have with name changing is the ability to see who's in local in the area I currently live in. This means that I know most of the bad guys at a glance, know what they fly and how they behave.

Allowing name changes for everyone would lead to a lot more effort for the people that do live in an area for awhile(read null/low, less population so easier to know everyone around you).

I think I would allow a name change only once per character on an account if it was due to a bad choice of name for someone but as to giving people carte blanche to change whenever they felt like it a definite no go for me I am afraid.

I still think this would only affect a small number of subscribers as most people once they've chosen a name identify with this name so are likely to keep it anyway.

I probably wouldn't have chosen the name I have on my main account but it's me now and I will never change it.

This topic has been going on for a year now with the same arguments going back and forth without any new contributions for the last 6 months. You have touched upon the key factor here in your mention of the fact that this indeed should affect only a small fraction of the population. (I brought up this same point earlier this year in the old thread in the old forums) Anyone who has been been in these forums long enough and who can read between the lines can see that the real hidden agenda here has nothing to do with charity for those few cases of badly named characters who want to have it changed to improve their sense of self worth and enjoyment in the game. That's just the charitable front. What it is really for is the sanctioned legalization of systematic 1 time name changes for everyone. Which can only benefit 2 demographics, those who buy farmed characters, and those who sell farmed characters. (not that there is anything illegal about the farmed character market)

Sentenced 1989
#111 - 2011-10-22 13:55:32 UTC  |  Edited by: Sentenced 1989
Smiling Menace wrote:

and there is never a new bad guy? whats the difference if there comes some new contact in local and blows you up, or some of the old ones changes name and blows you up...

but anyways, most of us are for one time change per account, so that wouldn't really be a great deal for pirates and alike
trexinatux
Doomheim
#112 - 2011-10-23 07:56:27 UTC
IF it didn't take away from dev's working on making the game more fun, I wouldn't mind name changing. Dev cycles are precious.

Helpless people on subway trains...

Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#113 - 2011-10-24 01:43:39 UTC
Sentenced 1989 wrote:
Smiling Menace wrote:

and there is never a new bad guy? whats the difference if there comes some new contact in local and blows you up, or some of the old ones changes name and blows you up...

but anyways, most of us are for one time change per account, so that wouldn't really be a great deal for pirates and alike

Oh there always is. Bad guys are like cockroaches where I live Lol

But here's the thing, once identified, I don't need to check again because their name doesn't change at present. Saves me some effort trying to decide if it's a threat or not (but of course, this is eve....you are ALL a threat, curse you all LolLolLol)
Katie Frost
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#114 - 2011-10-24 04:44:16 UTC
Smiling Menace wrote:

Again an argument based on an assumption that everyone will change their name as soon as this feature is made available. This is simply not going to be the case.

If you can afford one glance, surely another glance at their "AKA" tab would not be too much trouble to go through to have this feature implemented. Alternatively, set standings with your "bad guys" and your one-glance scenario returns with amazing efficiency.
Kaelie Onren
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#115 - 2011-10-24 14:45:24 UTC
Sentenced 1989 wrote:
Smiling Menace wrote:

Case in point, "sentenced 1989". If that name doesn't scream "Made in China" I don't know what does :)
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Smiling Menace
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#116 - 2011-10-24 23:09:40 UTC
Katie Frost wrote:
Smiling Menace wrote:

Again an argument based on an assumption that everyone will change their name as soon as this feature is made available. This is simply not going to be the case.

If you can afford one glance, surely another glance at their "AKA" tab would not be too much trouble to go through to have this feature implemented. Alternatively, set standings with your "bad guys" and your one-glance scenario returns with amazing efficiency.

Alliance sets standings and it wouldn't be that great to have corp, or even worse, personal standings in null sec.

As I have previously said, I am all for 1 change and 1 change only per account. This way anyone that made a bad choice of name can change it. Just be alot more careful picking your new name....
Paulize Dn'Injer
#117 - 2011-10-26 05:05:44 UTC
Kaelie Onren wrote:
Don't worry paulize, giving quarter to some counter arguments isn't going to hurt your campaign to run for CSM. Actually it really helps to improve your appeal to the moderate and right center demographic.

Hi Kaelie!

Wait a sec, I gave someone quarter? Where?! When?! …….Oh.

The CSM thing is more or less a joke since -- if this thread is any indication -- it would be highly unlikely that I could secure ~2000 votes. Although I do think it would be really fun (read: arduous) and progressive (read: gridlocked). (Too tired to make a Republican Primary joke with your invitation about moderation, maybe next time)

Argh, this has been a difficult week so I’m just checking in -- I'll write replies soon(tm)!
David Fightmaster
Golden Goose Privateers
#118 - 2011-10-26 14:13:23 UTC
I advocate this proposal. Friendly Bump.
David Fightmaster
Golden Goose Privateers
#119 - 2011-10-26 14:13:41 UTC  |  Edited by: David Fightmaster
My opinion on this is that you can change your name in real life. CCP tries its best to make a scifi game as realistic as possible even though spaceship game. Besides, I don't understand why CCP won't do it. Its another way to make money.
David Fightmaster
Golden Goose Privateers
#120 - 2011-10-27 14:40:46 UTC
bump