These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Market Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

PLEX for bitcoins ? legal ?

Author
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-28 18:08:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Angelica Dreamstar
I have stumbled upon this:

Bit Coin > Buy 1 PLEX for 0.5 Bitcoin: http://www.[censored]ay-pilots-license-extension-plex

I wondered if this is actually legal, more so because of the low price.

I hope this is the right place to ask.

Thank you !!

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

-- Ralph King-Griffin, about deranged people playing EVE ONLINE

Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-12-28 18:14:01 UTC
i am sorry for making this thread. I have gotten my answer and i have now petitioned it in EULA & TOS.

Please forgive me.

bingo, his pig not being a goat doesn't make the pig wrong, just him an idiot for shouting at his pig "WHY ARENT YOU A GOAT!" (Source)

Eliram Kahoudi
Big Fluffy Bunnies
#3 - 2012-12-28 19:51:37 UTC
got an answer, posted that you got one, but didnt bother to let everyone else know what the answer was. so now no one still knows if its against hte eula or not
Angelica Dreamstar
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-12-28 20:05:27 UTC
Eliram Kahoudi wrote:
got an answer, posted that you got one, but didnt bother to let everyone else know what the answer was. so now no one still knows if its against hte eula or not

OH !

I'm sorry. :(

Well, people told me it's RMT, which is illegal.

Something about it not being a GTC from a legitimate seller, but an actual PLEX, which would get transfered via contract.

I got that (the contract bit) from the website which i censored, because i thought that it's not a good idea to post it.

Anya Ohaya
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#5 - 2012-12-28 23:57:52 UTC
Technically it's a breach of contract, which is a civil matter not a criminal matter. When people say "illegal", they normally refer to violations of criminal codes.
Rogue Mennace
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#6 - 2012-12-29 01:00:01 UTC
Bitcoins are a currency.

Selling PLEX for money is against the TOS.
Tul Breetai
Impromptu Asset Requisition
#7 - 2012-12-29 06:05:12 UTC
Anya Ohaya wrote:
Technically it's a breach of contract, which is a civil matter not a criminal matter. When people say "illegal", they normally refer to violations of criminal codes.

But technically, it's illegal.

There's nothing worse than an EVE player, generally considered to be top of the food chain in the MMO world, that cannot smacktalk with wit and coherency.

Debra Tao
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-12-29 08:01:19 UTC
Anya Ohaya wrote:

In my country illegal can refer either to a civilian matter or to a criminal matter...
Abdiel Kavash
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-12-29 08:39:45 UTC
Selling PLEX for anything other than in-game ISK or other in-game items or in-game services is a breach of the EULA.
Zol Interbottom
Blimp Requisition Services
#10 - 2012-12-29 09:58:03 UTC
its actually a scam too, a bitcoin is worth like what, 2 bucks on a good day, no way half of one is gonna get you a PLEX

"If you're quitting for the 3rd time you clearly ain't quitting" - Chribba

Tom Bithoff
OSG Planetary Operations
#11 - 2012-12-30 18:36:06 UTC
Tul Breetai wrote:

Not in English. Illegal is an adjective for describing conduct that breaks a law, not conduct that breaks a contract. Contracts are not laws. Breaching a contract may have legally enforceable consequences, but isn't "illegal."
Implying Implications
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-12-30 23:40:54 UTC
Buttcoins. Invest today! The sky is the limit!
Eofina
Rave Into Space
The-Expanse
#13 - 2012-12-31 15:04:26 UTC
So then could an Official GTC Retailer accept BitCoins?

Are BitCoins "currency" to CPP?

I'm just posing the question as I'm not a BC miner.
Musashi Date
#14 - 2012-12-31 15:10:43 UTC
AFAIK, CCP is the only guys that can sell PLEX. But it from any other entity and its not legal (eg. a bannable offense). Other entities can only sell GTC.
Kara Books
Deal with IT.
#15 - 2012-12-31 23:49:58 UTC
If they started accepting Bitcoin, on special occasions/limited quantity maybe not even PLEX, perhaps just AUR for experiment sake, it would be a somewhat strong and Cost effective advertisement.

would be nice to see CCP get ahead of the pack before any one else with a well known title, puts 2 and 2 together.
Alex Grison
Grison Universal
#16 - 2013-01-04 20:26:15 UTC
Tom Bithoff wrote:
Tul Breetai wrote:

Not in English. Illegal is an adjective for describing conduct that breaks a law, not conduct that breaks a contract. Contracts are not laws. Breaching a contract may have legally enforceable consequences, but isn't "illegal."

I never knew that the English language had laws.

Also, the whole "illegal" word is being used in a silly way. "illegal" can be used in many ways, to describe criminal offenses and actions. or on the scope of a contract.

Violating a contract such as the EVE EULA is almost always not a criminal offense. Although it is a legally defensible and binding contract. Therefor you could be sued for a violation that is legally defensible.

it is also totally "valid" to say that on the scope of your contract with CCP. Selling plex for IRL currency is "illegal"

yes

Vex Romancer
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2013-02-22 02:19:08 UTC
Implying Implications wrote:

Actually, there's an upper limit of 21 million coins. ~11 million of those have already been mined (http://bitcoinwatch.com/). Of those 11 million, 7 million are being stashed/saved (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/78-percent-of-bitcoin-currency-stashed-under-digital-mattress-study-finds/) as of a months ago.

ISKm3 - Free iPhone app for miners, traders, and haulers. Grab it here: http://bit.ly/iskm3

Candy Oshea
Techfree Investment Group
#18 - 2013-02-22 02:42:54 UTC
Vex Romancer wrote:
Implying Implications wrote:

Actually, there's an upper limit of 21 million coins. ~11 million of those have already been mined (http://bitcoinwatch.com/). Of those 11 million, 7 million are being stashed/saved (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/10/78-percent-of-bitcoin-currency-stashed-under-digital-mattress-study-finds/) as of a months ago.

sweet nerco brah

Subject has word plex in it.

Approved.

iCandy  - I have accidently swallowed some Scrabble tiles, my next shit could spell disaster!