These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I Won't Build "Your Empire"

Author
Doc Severiide
Doomheim
#121 - 2012-12-28 20:13:15 UTC
Sentamon wrote:
masternerdguy wrote:

Anyway, the nerf will happen. Summer is coming.

... and another self deluded individual that thinks people will join nullsec alliances if highsec is ruined. Roll

I'd be gone in an instant...
silens vesica
Corsair Cartel
#122 - 2012-12-28 20:16:40 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
Sturgeon's Law ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon%27s_Law ) applies to player generated content as much as anything else.

And so does Sturgeon's Revelation. Which, if you must know, is the more proper cite.

Tell someone you love them today, because life is short. But scream it at them in Esperanto, because life is also terrifying and confusing.

Didn't vote? Then you voted for NulBloc

Rutger Gist
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#123 - 2012-12-28 21:44:02 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
In many of the defensive cries from hi seccers attempting to justify that hi sec is balanced I've been seeing a recurring theme: "I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

"I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

This is the epitome of the fundamental misunderstanding hi seccers have about the nature of this game. It is based on 3 incorrect assumptions.

1. I Am Special - Nobody is special. Everyone is a worthless until proven otherwise. Your value is solely what you bring to the community.
  2. EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.
  3. EVE is About Small Gang / Solo - EVE has never been balanced around small gang or solo, and this has never been pushed by any of the advertising. In fact the opposite is pushed.

So what do you resort to? You resort to blaming the evil nullseccers for all your problems and talking about how unfair it is that you might lose, or that setting up your 5 man alliance in the middle of Deklein won't work, or that you got blobbed. Then when that doesn't work you cry about how important it is to be a "casual gamer".

The definition of casual gamer seems to be pretty flexible these days. I didn't know grinding missions or ice mining for 14 hours a day was casual.

Op, premise fail...

I have been playing EVE since 2004, and a majority of that time has been solo or in small corps of less than 20 people. Almost 99% of the time I've been in HiSec. 100% of the time I've been casual and relaxed.

I really don't get your point of this OP. I'm guessing you are glad that someone else's game play will be changed. How does that change your game play?
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#124 - 2012-12-28 23:07:38 UTC
Acac Sunflyier wrote:

Yeah but the thing is some people are deaf and cannot speak in comms, which is often a must in null blocks. Some people only want to spend an hour a weekend doing some very casual activities.

Fact is I think high sec is fine the way it is. Keeps prices low, has a viable market. and introduced people to the game. Highsec has become a breadbasket that everybody can take from. Nerfing highsec would have too vast a repercussion on too many areas of space. It'd be very likely eve couldd enter another economic depression; the very least a recession. This is the worst possible thing that could happen in Eve. Nobody would buy anything cause your isk would be worth more and more the longer because the value of one isk would buy more and more. It would very easily turn into a tailspin.

I get that people are bored in null a lot of the time waiting for the cta. But I don't think nerfing highsec will get more targets in null. It'd probably cause many people to leave (The opposite of what we want to happen.)

I'm going to number your points so I can address them separately (and at least one not at all because I don't really get into that side of things).

1. On deafness: We actually have programs for that. For our alliance during the big ops there is usually a hearing impaired channel where the FC gets orders relayed for him. Again if you get big enough you have to deal with issues like this. That's how we deal with it.

2. I have nothing to say here really, I'm more interested in boosting null than nerfing high.

3. I don't do CTA work, the kind of warfare I engage in can be done at any time, mainly because I'm living balls deep in someone elses space. CTA's are for PVP'ers who prefer to "Live at home". From my staging system it's about 30 jumps home, and three carrier jumps. After that I'm generally about 10-20 jumps into someone elses space. I can simply login, get a few kills with my gang, log out whenever I want.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#125 - 2012-12-28 23:11:05 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
1. On deafness: We actually have programs for that. For our alliance during the big ops there is usually a hearing impaired channel where the FC gets orders relayed for him. Again if you get big enough you have to deal with issues like this. That's how we deal with it.

2. I have nothing to say here really, I'm more interested in boosting null than nerfing high.

3. I don't do CTA work, the kind of warfare I engage in can be done at any time, mainly because I'm living balls deep in someone elses space. CTA's are for PVP'ers who prefer to "Live at home". From my staging system it's about 30 jumps home, and three carrier jumps. After that I'm generally about 10-20 jumps into someone elses space. I can simply login, get a few kills with my gang, log out whenever I want.

Three carrier jumps, sounds like we need some ~nerf power projection~ in this thread.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#126 - 2012-12-28 23:14:23 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
SmilingVagrant wrote:

Three carrier jumps, sounds like we need some ~nerf power projection~ in this thread.

I feel like a peasant when I have to use gates in enemy space. It's doubly insulting because we made a more accurate jump bridge map than their internally used one.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#127 - 2012-12-28 23:23:12 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
SmilingVagrant wrote:

I feel like a peasant when I have to use gates in enemy space. It's doubly insulting because we made a more accurate jump bridge map than their internally used one.

Wait, the enemies don't know their own jump bridges? I though it was supposed to make moving blobs around trivial.

I've been lied to ~

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#128 - 2012-12-28 23:26:29 UTC
Jamyl Khanid wrote:
Wasn't High Sec supposed to end on 12/21/12?

Better not, if it ever happens it's not just 20% personnel having a nice hand shake and goodbye letter. I don't think this would be good for anyone except for E-bay.

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Sergeant Acht Scultz
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#129 - 2012-12-28 23:27:40 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
SmilingVagrant wrote:

Lol

removed inappropriate ASCII art signature - CCP Eterne

Krixtal Icefluxor
INLAND EMPIRE Galactic
#130 - 2012-12-28 23:30:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Krixtal Icefluxor
masternerdguy wrote:
  • EVE is About Small Gang / Solo - EVE has never been balanced around small gang or solo, and this has never been pushed by any of the advertising. In fact the opposite is pushed.

• Erm, but the Retribution ad sure pushed the Solo Villain Player.

"He has mounted his hind-legs, and blown crass vapidities through the bowel of his neck."  - Ambrose Bierce on Oscar Wilde's Lecture in San Francisco 1882

moep
    Doomheim
    #131 - 2012-12-28 23:58:24 UTC
    oki doki children, no need to argue around, uncle moep has something for everbody: Shocked

Nullseccers:

Nullsec

Empire Dwellers:

Empire

No need to thank me Lol, always here to save the day Blink

Greetz and have a nice sing-a-song!

AlleyKat
    The Unwanted.
    #132 - 2012-12-29 01:12:36 UTC
    Consider the people who are yet to play the game.

Comments and threads like this push the would-be gamer away, which is why this game is considered hardcore, and that it requires a significant investment of time and money to play.

Sorry, but that's the truth - and making the game even more hardcore deters too many people.

Some people just like to fly spaceships on their computer.

AK

This space for rent.

masternerdguy
    Doomheim
    #133 - 2012-12-29 01:13:02 UTC  |  Edited by: masternerdguy
    AlleyKat wrote:

Comments and threads like this push the would-be gamer away, which is why this game is considered hardcore, and that it requires a significant investment of time and money to play.

Sorry, but that's the truth - and making the game even more hardcore deters too many people.

AK

So we're hurting people's feelings?

EDIT: Also basing your game choice on the official forum whine is a bad idea.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

James Amril-Kesh
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #134 - 2012-12-29 01:19:19 UTC
    Sentamon wrote:
    masternerdguy wrote:

... and another self deluded individual that thinks people will join nullsec alliances if highsec is ruined. Roll

And another self deluded individual who thinks that anybody wants highsec ruined.

Nerf is not ruined. Stop being crybabies.

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

Alavaria Fera
    GoonWaffe
    #135 - 2012-12-29 01:19:37 UTC
    masternerdguy wrote:
    AlleyKat wrote:

AK

So we're hurting people's feelings?

EDIT: Also basing your game choice on the official forum whine is a bad idea.

I won't believe that feeling are being hurt unless I see the tears.

Tears, please.

Proletariat Tingtango
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #136 - 2012-12-29 01:25:42 UTC
    "I won't build your empire" as an ethos really just drives home the stereotype of a shut-in libertarian comp-sci dropout as the stereotypical Eve nerd. Refusal to cooperate, delusions of grandeur, un-deserved self importance.

I just imagine an army of these guys, who multibox mining armadas and think they're entitled to the same things a group of like-minded, cooperative people can achieve, and who could probably influence this game for the worse if they could unify, but their artificially bloated egos prevent that. They all want to be The Guy so they sit in their chat rooms, jabber, mumble, etc., and post on eve-o and just whinge about how the game should cater specifically to this tragic breed of isolationist shut-in who rationalizes their loneliness and unlikability by loudly proclaiming their liberty and refusal to "Build Your Empire".

Take a bow guys.
    dexington
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #137 - 2012-12-29 01:26:46 UTC
    masternerdguy wrote:

I like how you ended you pointless post with a even more pointless threat...

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

James Amril-Kesh
    Viziam
    Amarr Empire
    #138 - 2012-12-29 01:28:35 UTC
    dexington wrote:
    masternerdguy wrote:

lol, you think that's a threat

Enjoying the rain today? ;)

dexington
    Caldari Provisions
    Caldari State
    #139 - 2012-12-29 01:35:37 UTC
    James Amril-Kesh wrote:
    dexington wrote:
    masternerdguy wrote:

I'm not sure i understand your question, it seems pretty clear to me he stated an indication or warning of things to come, even if the prediction is nothing more then laughable i would still at the very least consider it an attempted threat.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Alavaria Fera
    GoonWaffe
    #140 - 2012-12-29 01:37:39 UTC
    dexington wrote:
    James Amril-Kesh wrote:
    dexington wrote:
    masternerdguy wrote:

I'm not sure i understand your question, it seems pretty clear to me he stated an indication or warning of things to come, even if the prediction is nothing more then laughable i would still at the very least consider it an attempted threat.

Highsec' amazingness will never be lost to us