These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

I Won't Build "Your Empire"

Author
Mars Theran
Foreign Interloper
#21 - 2012-12-27 19:51:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Mars Theran
masternerdguy wrote:
In many of the defensive cries from hi seccers attempting to justify that hi sec is balanced I've been seeing a recurring theme: "I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

"I won't go to nullsec because I don't want to help build your empire. I want to build one with my RL friends."

This is the epitome of the fundamental misunderstanding hi seccers have about the nature of this game. It is based on 3 incorrect assumptions.

1. I Am Special - Nobody is special. Everyone is a worthless until proven otherwise. Your value is solely what you bring to the community.
  2. EVE is Relaxing - EVE has never been relaxing. It has been about hard work and commitment. You might have fun, but it will take a lot of work to get there.
  3. EVE is About Small Gang / Solo - EVE has never been balanced around small gang or solo, and this has never been pushed by any of the advertising. In fact the opposite is pushed.

So what do you resort to? You resort to blaming the evil nullseccers for all your problems and talking about how unfair it is that you might lose, or that setting up your 5 man alliance in the middle of Deklein won't work, or that you got blobbed. Then when that doesn't work you cry about how important it is to be a "casual gamer".

The definition of casual gamer seems to be pretty flexible these days. I didn't know grinding missions or ice mining for 14 hours a day was casual.

Anyway, the nerf will happen. Summer is coming.

You seem upset. Are you upset?

Smile ..sorry, had to get that out there.

..anyway, I think the point of your post is lost on me. I don't mine at all really; much less 14 hours a day. I don't multi-box and run missions or PvE sites. I do know someone who does though, and they mine too; sometimes even at the same time. Anyone else, and I'd swear they were botting.

I think you're missing the point. Nullsec crowd has no more earned the right to be special, than anyone else has. Not in general anyway. I got here first back in 03-05 doesn't qualify. You might have had to maintain it, but you never had to go through the hoops to acquire it that would be required now.

Do you get it? Probably not, but let me attempt to explain. You never had significant opposition. There were no heavily entrenched forces with years of digging in and manipulating markets preventing your entry back then. There was just open space and roaming, exploring gangs, rather like lowsec is now.

No, I wasn't there, but I understand what happens when you have yet to develop the resources or truly understand and have familiarity with the territory you are moving in to. There is no way you could have just waltzed in with SuperCaps and Carriers, and the game was much different then. The population is also much higher now, and experience has given the Nullsec crowd the ability to literally control that entire territory without much effort.

You might think it is effort, but you'd be wrong. 10000 people working towards a common goal against hundreds is not effort.

..anyway, whatever. It isn't something I spend a great deal of time concerning myself with, but don't think that because people don't want to become a drone amongst your entrenched forces that they are considering themselves special or entitled to things without earning them.

You'd be wrong.
zubzubzubzubzubzubzubzub
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#22 - 2012-12-27 19:51:23 UTC
Piugattuk wrote:
I said it before I'll say it again, if CCP believe's that making hi sec worthless and a grief fest then go for it, money talks, if they lose clients because of it then so be it, if they don't fine.

You say your worth is based on what you bring to the community, really? How'bout their subscription, keeps CCP alive for the community, miners, industrialist, missioners, traders, PVP'ers, PVE'ers all add to the isk flow, no one entity makes eve work.

People will unsub if X !!

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Maire Gheren
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#23 - 2012-12-27 19:52:07 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Honestly the problem is that if so a blob will burn down your home eventually. If only because boat saw a structure and had a fleet of bored drakes.

So the ownership will continue to turn over and be available for conquering by relatively small groups of ambitious midbies if the current owners can't hold onto their space. I'm not sure how much of a problem this really is....
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#24 - 2012-12-27 19:53:22 UTC
Maire Gheren wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Honestly the problem is that if so a blob will burn down your home eventually. If only because boat saw a structure and had a fleet of bored drakes.

So the ownership will continue to turn over and be available for conquering by relatively small groups of ambitious midbies if the current owners can't hold onto their space. I'm not sure how much of a problem this really is....

But the evil blobbers are stomping on people.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mr Pragmatic
#25 - 2012-12-27 19:54:58 UTC
Oh look this thread again.

Listen, We do build empires...its in the form of Isk, large piles of isk that make people like you jealous.

Super cali hella yolo swaga dopeness.  -Yoloswaggins, in the fellowship of the bling.

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#26 - 2012-12-27 19:56:37 UTC
Mars Theran wrote:

Do you get it? Probably not, but let me attempt to explain. You never had significant opposition. There were no heavily entrenched forces with years of digging in and manipulating markets preventing your entry back then. There was just open space and roaming, exploring gangs, rather like lowsec is now.

No, I wasn't there, but I understand what happens when you have yet to develop the resources or truly understand and have familiarity with the territory you are moving in to. There is no way you could have just waltzed in with SuperCaps and Carriers, and the game was much different then. The population is also much higher now, and experience has given the Nullsec crowd the ability to literally control that entire territory without much effort.

Well, you certainly weren't there. I remember when BoB was going to own all of null and the goons were losing, and everyone was crying about the evil BoB hurting the game. I remember when BRUCE controlled Fountain, Syndicate, Cloud Ring, and Outer Ring and could project much further than that.

I remember when the Russians had an unbreakable hold on the Dronelands. I remember when the enemy had the classic doomsday (area of effect 75k damage) and 14 titans to hotdrop on us.

I remember being in the NC and fighting for survival against the hordes of foreigners (and NC dot).

We fought and won against the entrenched power blocks, you can too.

Things are only impossible until they are not.

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#27 - 2012-12-27 19:57:08 UTC
Mr Pragmatic wrote:
Oh look this thread again.

Listen, We do build empires...its in the form of Isk, large piles of isk that make people like you jealous.

Hahahahahaha

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#28 - 2012-12-27 19:58:12 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Mars Theran wrote:

Well, you certainly weren't there. I remember when BoB was going to own all of null and the goons were losing, and everyone was crying about the evil BoB hurting the game. I remember when BRUCE controlled Fountain, Syndicate, Cloud Ring, and Outer Ring and could project much further than that.

I remember when the Russians had an unbreakable hold on the Dronelands. I remember when the enemy had the classic doomsday (area of effect 75k damage) and 14 titans to hotdrop on us.

I remember being in the NC and fighting for survival against the hordes of foreigners (and NC dot).

We fought and won against the entrenched power blocks, you can too.

That wasn't significant opposition ~~~~~~~~~~~
You got it from blues~~~~~
You got them nerfed ~~~~~~

I don't even know what else.

Maire Gheren
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#29 - 2012-12-27 20:06:29 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Is your vast empire really all that interested in taking and holding a non-contiguous dead end pocket with a Syndicate-esque truesec? It'd be more trouble than it's worth to project power into it. Might be a step up for some growing corp that's looking at expanding from piracy or FW though.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#30 - 2012-12-27 20:09:03 UTC
Maire Gheren wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Is your vast empire really all that interested in taking and holding a non-contiguous dead end pocket with a Syndicate-esque truesec? It'd be more trouble than it's worth to project power into it. Might be a step up for some growing corp that's looking at expanding from piracy or FW though.

You haven't seen how excited boat gets when he finds a wormhole that goes somewhere inhabited, have you...

Ginger Barbarella
#31 - 2012-12-27 20:11:47 UTC
Like all the other forum warriors, you just don't get it.

I and many others have explained it countless times, and you guys just CHOOSE not to get it. That makes it your problem.

You play your game, I'll play mine. Why is that such a hard concept for your forum warriors to grok?

"Blow it all on Quafe and strippers." --- Sorlac

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#32 - 2012-12-27 20:13:48 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:

I and many others have explained it countless times, and you guys just CHOOSE not to get it. That makes it your problem.

You play your game, I'll play mine. Why is that such a hard concept for your forum warriors to grok?

Because they're both the same game.

Lucy Ferrr
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#33 - 2012-12-27 20:14:06 UTC
OP seems mad, show us on the doll where the big bad high-sec'er touched you.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#34 - 2012-12-27 20:15:05 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Ginger Barbarella wrote:

Maybe you are the game. Like a loot pinata that you gank and loot drops out, we go to the forums and guess what we get...

Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#35 - 2012-12-27 20:17:37 UTC
Vaju Enki wrote:
Can't wait for the highsec rebalance expansion.

You must be quite new. It gets 'rebalanced' every other patch or expansion.

The important thing here is that 0.0 remains as empty and broken as it is. We must never change that.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#36 - 2012-12-27 20:18:19 UTC
posting in a "**** the police" thread.

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Ginger Barbarella
#37 - 2012-12-27 20:21:40 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Maire Gheren wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Besides wormhole, you mean? Like that but with local?

Like wormhole, but with a stable address behind a jumpgate. I'm one of the "Local is bad" crowd. Wormholes seem like they're pretty popular with the people who want their own little empire. The experience isn't exactly the same.

I sincerely hope you see the monumental irony of what you just said, Goonie. Cool

masternerdguy
Doomheim
#38 - 2012-12-27 20:22:16 UTC
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Maire Gheren wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Like wormhole, but with a stable address behind a jumpgate. I'm one of the "Local is bad" crowd. Wormholes seem like they're pretty popular with the people who want their own little empire. The experience isn't exactly the same.

I sincerely hope you see the monumental irony of what you just said, Goonie. Cool

Confirming goons were never the underdogRoll

Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#39 - 2012-12-27 20:23:36 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Ginger Barbarella wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Maire Gheren wrote:
Alavaria Fera wrote:

Confirming goons were never the underdogRoll

Boat will turn on us one day, doubtless. Because the enemy found his jokes funny and his stories engaging.

Then we'll be doomed.

Ginger Barbarella
#40 - 2012-12-27 20:24:32 UTC
masternerdguy wrote:
Ginger Barbarella wrote:

This is so funny it's bordering on pathetic... Lol If you don't like the way people are playing this game, quit demanding they play it YOUR way, and go build your own intarwebs spaceships game.

Oh, that's right: you don't have 1% of what it would take to do that, so you try (and fail) to play the part of playgound bully. Lol Keep up the good work, Nerdy.