These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

My EVE

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Help me make a cute chracter please!

First post
Author
Janis Ezra
Brave Newbies Inc.
Brave Collective
#81 - 2012-12-27 15:42:18 UTC
Valkris Arkayne wrote:

You have the cutest face I've ever seen.
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#82 - 2012-12-27 15:47:09 UTC
Jenavee De'amore wrote:
EvE has officially become an online fashion competition o.O what happened to the pew pew and spaceships!!??

this is what happens when you get put into a modern art museum
Luke Visteen
#83 - 2012-12-27 15:49:15 UTC
Gotch Urarse
Perkone
Caldari State
#84 - 2012-12-27 15:57:40 UTC
Jenavee De'amore wrote:
EvE has officially become an online fashion competition o.O what happened to the pew pew and spaceships!!??

The next expansion EVE: Project Makeover
Jesus Garcia-Lopez
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2012-12-27 16:36:57 UTC
Wow so many replies! Big smile

WingDancer wrote:
your char is looking like Vala Mal Doran, see ->
http://www.unificationfrance.com/IMG/jpg/Dresden_files_claudia_black_1.jpg
http://www.euderion.de/Materialien/Charactere%20SG1/Claudia%20Black%20-%20Vala/vala_1024.jpg

if you like to try somthing cute, try to copy Adria ->
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111207132457/stargate/images/3/3b/Adria_Ark_of_Truth.jpg

or Andromeda ->
http://gatecast.co.uk/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/LexaDoig.jpg

but the best way is, not to listen to others and creating your OWN char... whatever he might look like, its yours!

Thanks for these refs Big smileBig smileBig smile but I did come up with my own look like you last mentioned Lol

Kiteo Hatto wrote:
Here's Gal/Gal but I don't know...I always liked intaki girls a lot more. Ex. Gal/Intaki

or Gal/Gal but with a space pixie look

IMO, short hair models look better tbh but thats like...my opinion.

Nice! I really like #3, im comparing what you did with what I did and its weird, like I know theres a difference but its hard to tell exactly what and how much, you know what I mean? hehehehe What?Ugh

VDNKH wrote:
Here's an idea.

Spam the random button until you have the face you want. Then tweak the body, then tweak the clothes.

That's what I did for most of my characters and I'm fine with it.

Yeah this idea came to me too and its how i started :) good to know im was on the right track! Cool

Tau Cabalander wrote:
Small nose. Small mouth. Big eyes. Round face, not angular. [NOT Gollum-style] That's the hallmark of a baby's face, which we are genetically programmed to think as being cute. Symmetrical faces are also more attractive than asymmetrical faces.

Makeup shouldn't be one colour, and should be sparingly applied [NOT Tammy Faye-style]. Accentuate facial features (especially eyes and lips), or soften / hide them, using makeup.

Look to others for examples (these are not mine):
https://image.eveonline.com/Character/1100933456_512.jpg Death Cell
https://image.eveonline.com/Character/90342909_512.jpg Toxaris Cabrito

Play with poses and lighting too. Often that can help accentuate or hide features.

Ok great tips! Lol I will try to use them!

Randolph Rothstein wrote:
only thing that makes you cute is a moustache

you too ladies

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LolLolLolLolLolBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Jesus Garcia-Lopez
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2012-12-27 16:37:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Jenavee De'amore wrote:

I just want to make a toon I can be proud of, you get me? Big smileP

Lipbite wrote:
There was entertainer profession in StarWars: Galaxies - players could re-sculpt other players including height, face, hairs, skin tone.

Could be nice to have something like that in EVE - I'd be a trillionaire soon with my sculpting skills.

Right now "random" button is your best bet.

That would be cool! But idk if id pay for that hehehehe LolLol

Zelda Wei wrote:

Smaller or lighter coloured eye brows.
Larger pupil or darker blue.
Reduce or remove the smirk.
Lighten the eye makeup colour a notch.

Well i cant change some of those things now but i will try to consider those tips for makeup! Or the next time Big smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smile

Miss Aqua wrote:
If you care this much about char design I suggest you play with the char creator for a whole day or more trying out all the things. Then get an idea of how you want your char to look like and then spend as long as you need to create it.

That was my plan! Although I was pretty happy with it in the end last night so I pressed OK. Big smile Thanks to all the advice!

Rain6637 wrote:
there are so many ways to go wrong, while there are so many simple rules to follow and know what to exaggerate or minimize...

It's not going to happen by chance. learning how to do it once means learning how to do it properly. expecting to figure all that out is a littttle arrogant.

and describing how to tweak the face in text is futile.

I think I should make day 0 characters and sell them just for their looks lol

Im a pretty easygoin guy and im trying my hardest to stay positive because I know I don't have art talent like some people do and Im not pro or have pro equipment but seriously you're starting to get on my nerves. You're really not helping anything with your negative comments. Other people at least post some tips when they take the time to post! Really your the only one thats arrogant in here bc every post you make is like "Blabla your not good at art blabla im a mod on art site blabla give up already."

Also who quotes themselves on their bio? Thats rly egotistical, no offense.

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Elena Melkan
Magellanic Itg
Goonswarm Federation
#87 - 2012-12-27 16:43:56 UTC
Everyone could argue what 'cute' looks like. But the fact is that certain kind of elements in female's face (and why not male's as well) make it more attractive. The key is 'the golden ratio'. A face that is shaped according to that ratio almost naturally looks attractive and something we describe as 'beautiful'. It's the perfectionism of nature. You could take a look at the picture in this article about a girl who has symmetrical and according to the article the perfect face.

It's also true that most people find female faces that look a little 'childish' more attractive than those that are boldly shaped and strong. So if you are going for a cute character, all her features should be soft and tender, like a child's face. Her face could a bit round, even. Achura is the race you can't go much wrong with. They have pretty cute facial features ready at the start. Probably the most challenging race is True Amarrians, it's a bit harder to make 'a cute girl' with that setup.
Kiteo Hatto
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#88 - 2012-12-27 16:47:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Kiteo Hatto
Elena Melkan wrote:
Everyone could argue what 'cute' looks like. But the fact is that certain kind of elements in female's face (and why not male's as well) make it more attractive. The key is 'the golden ratio'. A face that is shaped according to that ratio almost naturally looks attractive and something we describe as 'beautiful'. It's the perfectionism of nature. You could take a look at the picture in this article about a girl who has symmetrical and according to the article the perfect face.

It's also true that most people find female faces that look a little 'childish' more attractive than those that are boldly shaped and strong. So if you are going for a cute character, all her features should be soft and tender, like a child's face. Her face could a bit round, even. Achura is the race you can't go much wrong with. They have pretty cute facial features ready at the start. Probably the most challenging race is True Amarrians, it's a bit harder to make 'a cute girl' with that setup.

Your avatar <3 ! Holy crap that's amazingly unique.
Merouk Baas
#89 - 2012-12-27 17:05:29 UTC
The fastest way to make a character ugly is to mess up on the eyes/nose/mouth/chin ratio. Very slight changes, small mouse movements, can result in sudden ugly.

You should:

- pick an even light source that doesn't cause half the face to be shadowed

- pick a hair style that doesn't cover the forehead; you want to see the face ratios while you're working on them

- don't get stuck looking at the character while you work; zoom in and out, turn the face sideways, so you don't get used to the character's face. Familiar people look prettier than they are; someone can be really ugly or disfigured; you get used to their look and they don't seem so bad anymore. You want to avoid this when you make your character.

- Try to get your character to stare right back at you. This also helps you see if they have the wrong dimensions.

Once you've got a face that you think is ok, and not deformed, you can then pick a different hair style, apply the makeup, choose an expression via the eyebrows (eyebrows up = worried, eyebrows together = angry, etc), and complement that expression with the corners of the mouth (up = smiling, down = angry), and choose your final lighting, where you're staring at, etc.

The Death Cell character is pretty; nothing special about her face, but she's got the dimensions exactly right, and her expression matches, from the eyebrows to her stare to her mouth. By contrast, your original character had a mouth that was too big and too low, and eyebrows that indicated she was terrified.

Valkris Arkayne
Perkone
Caldari State
#90 - 2012-12-27 17:09:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Valkris Arkayne
Janis Ezra wrote:
Valkris Arkayne wrote:

You have the cutest face I've ever seen.

Thanks. I was trying to work with what I was given after the conversion from the old avatars to the new Incarna ones. I wasn't having much luck, so I decided to base mine (very loosly) on Kristen Kreuk from Smallville. I wasn't able to get her smile right and the hair style options are woefully limited, so I ended up just going with what I have.

Kristen Kreuk 1 - Link 1

Kristen Kreuk 2 - Link 2

Kristen Kreuk 3 - Link 3
Valerie Tessel
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#91 - 2012-12-27 17:23:35 UTC
I think Acac Sunflyer mentioned it earlier, but something to keep in mind as you sculpt is that women tend to have a lighter jawbone and chin than men do. Testosterone causes heavier bone growth during early development. That means that women usually have slightly narrower faces, and their chins do not project as much as a man's might.

The character creator itself generates some reasonably good starting shapes. The suggestion to use the randomizer until it was close to what you like was a good one (for the face). From their only make slight modifications, being mindful of the notions above. Also, attempting to create a resemblance to a real human face can also help, but realize that the CC tends to handle stereotypes better than specifics.

Tactical destroyers... I'll take a dozen Gallente, please.

Doc Severide
Doomheim
#92 - 2012-12-27 18:25:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Severide
Jesus Garcia-Lopez wrote:
Hello guys I've been trying to make a cute character but I'm a bit stuck right now. So I'm coming here to ask you guys for help!

Heres my progress so far: http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s559/pryox/20121227025644_zpsc467acd1.jpg

She should be a smart and pretty girl from a royal family who abandoned her lifestyle to be a capsulier, and one of her distinctive traits is she has a scar on her right temple from an attack by a ferocious predator.

Barf, that pic looks EXACTLY like the girl working in the coffee shop on the corner by my office.

UGH, UGH, UGH....

I'll bet she could suck a potato through an exhaust pipe with those lumpy lips...
Mary Jane Moonbeam
Descendant Command
#93 - 2012-12-27 19:21:57 UTC  |  Edited by: Mary Jane Moonbeam
This thread needed some cute?

Start with symmetric features, then add

+ short hair
+ exotic skin color
+ sensual lips
+ shy expression

-> cuteness

EDIT: Freckles! I forgot freckles, they define cuteness.
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#94 - 2012-12-27 20:12:55 UTC
i was convinced this entire thread was trolling when i read the title.

having now read the thread...i think it's much worse.
Jesus Garcia-Lopez
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2012-12-27 21:25:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

Ugh sorry my attempts not good enough. You have a really cute toon though! OopsOopsOopsOops

I felt inspired to try again using your toon as a reff. Howd I do? Big smileBig smile

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s559/pryox/20121227212047_zps638d401c.jpg

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Mildew Wolf
#96 - 2012-12-27 21:33:09 UTC
very cute imo)))
Jesus Garcia-Lopez
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2012-12-27 21:36:32 UTC
Mildew Wolf wrote:
very cute imo)))

Thanks!!!!!!!! OopsOopsOopsLolLolLolLolBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileCoolCoolCoolCoolBearBearBearBear

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Eurydia Vespasian
Storm Hunters
#98 - 2012-12-27 22:00:18 UTC
Jesus Garcia-Lopez wrote:
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

Ugh sorry my attempts not good enough. You have a really cute toon though! OopsOopsOopsOops

I felt inspired to try again using your toon as a reff. Howd I do? Big smileBig smile

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s559/pryox/20121227212047_zps638d401c.jpg

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez

no, no. don't mistake me.

it wasn't your attempts that made it worse. it was the replies of a few of the posters that made me feel that way. i find it a little annoying to read people bashing others for nothing more than differences of opinion.

and, i admit, i lol'd a little at at your rendition of me. it's like i had bad collagen injections and implants gone awry lol. did good on the eyes though!
ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
ISD Alliance
#99 - 2012-12-27 22:01:34 UTC
Moved from General Discussion.

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Jesus Garcia-Lopez
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#100 - 2012-12-27 22:03:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Jesus Garcia-Lopez
Eurydia Vespasian wrote:

no, no. don't mistake me.

it wasn't your attempts that made it worse. it was the replies of a few of the posters that made me feel that way. i find it a little annoying to read people bashing others for nothing more than differences of opinion.

and, i admit, i lol'd a little at at your rendition of me. it's like i had bad collagen injections and implants gone awry lol. did good on the eyes though!

Oh okay sorry! OopsOopsOopsOopsOops I misunderstood your post Oops

My friend said similar so I "filled out" the face. I think it looks really good now, probably my best attempt! Check it out! BearBearBear
http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s559/pryox/20121227215956_zps027483d4.jpg

-- Jesus Garcia-Lopez