These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What's wrong with bumping?

Author
Mag's
Azn Empire
#81 - 2012-12-24 21:10:58 UTC
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Thus they hide behind concord.
Welcome to high sec.

Stein Backstabber wrote:
I asked a serious question - so what are the side effects I've not thought of? What's a demonstrable downside to this? That ECM breaks it? pfft.
I already named them.

What? logis?

Who would be assisting the bumper? If they are, I fail to see the issue. Assisting the bumpee, nothing ha changed afaik.

Apologies if I'm being dim, I've had a few but I genuinely can;t see how this hurts logis, please explain - I'm not a logi driver.
This mechanic would need to differentiate between who meant to bump someone and who didn't, so it could flag the naughty one. Good luck with that.

Your idea boils down to creating a problem and unwarranted side effects, to solve no problem. Unless you think people should be flagged, simply because they annoy you?

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Stein Backstabber
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#82 - 2012-12-24 21:21:28 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Thus they hide behind concord.
Welcome to high sec.

Stein Backstabber wrote:
I asked a serious question - so what are the side effects I've not thought of? What's a demonstrable downside to this? That ECM breaks it? pfft.
I already named them.

What? logis?

Who would be assisting the bumper? If they are, I fail to see the issue. Assisting the bumpee, nothing ha changed afaik.

Apologies if I'm being dim, I've had a few but I genuinely can;t see how this hurts logis, please explain - I'm not a logi driver.
This mechanic would need to differentiate between who meant to bump someone and who didn't, so it could flag the naughty one. Good luck with that.

Your idea boils down to creating a problem and unwarranted side effects, to solve no problem. Unless you think people should be flagged, simply because they annoy you?

It's already kind of calculated by the impact results.

Besides, the chances of the "bumpee" in a non-combat situation having the bumper targetting *should* mitigate the risk of accidental issues to near zero. There would be relatively straightforward ways to mitigate it further.

I don't think they should be flagged because they annoy me, I think they should be flagged because it is right & proper. Much like I used to think the old RR gangs should have been flagged too.

I suppose my closing question is: Why do you think people taking an overtly hostile action should be so protected?
Mag's
Azn Empire
#83 - 2012-12-24 21:31:27 UTC
Stein Backstabber wrote:
It's already kind of calculated by the impact results.

Besides, the chances of the "bumpee" in a non-combat situation having the bumper targetting *should* mitigate the risk of accidental issues to near zero. There would be relatively straightforward ways to mitigate it further.

I don't think they should be flagged because they annoy me, I think they should be flagged because it is right & proper. Much like I used to think the old RR gangs should have been flagged too.

I suppose my closing question is: Why do you think people taking an overtly hostile action should be so protected?
Like I said, you couldn't differentiate between good bump and bad. No matter what figures you used.

Right and proper, because you say so? I've yet to see an argument for change, as you've only provide an idea for one.

One man's hostile act, is another man's accident.

Destination SkillQueue:- It's like assuming the Lions will ignore you in the Savannah, if you're small, fat and look helpless.

Stein Backstabber
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2012-12-24 21:51:47 UTC  |  Edited by: Stein Backstabber
Then we shall have to disagree.

My argument is simply that an overtly hostile act should be treated as such. Tell me why it shouldn't? I think that should change.

I've never 'accidentally' bumped something I had locked, in much the same way I've never had a negligent smartbomb discharge, or accidentally shot a ship...just paying attention I suppose.

Edit: Alternatively, perhaps, why should the mechanic remain? I'm not in favor of removal, I like the 'poor mans point' tactic, it's inventive.

However, I do not like the current status quo. It feels wrong on several levels to me. Personal opinion of course.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#85 - 2012-12-24 21:55:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Indeed, we can agree to disagree.

But what you may call an overtly hostile act, is not deemed so by either concord, or their masters CCP. Blink

Edit: I haven't set of any aggressive module when I high sec, I didn't mean to activate. If I had, I would deserve any punishment received.
But I have been involved in many fights and bumped and been bumped many times. Not always by the enemy. Not sure they all deserved punishing. When they did, either side took care of it with guns.

Stein Backstabber
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#86 - 2012-12-24 22:01:34 UTC
Mag's wrote:

But what you may call an overtly hostile act, is not deemed so by either concord, or their masters CCP. Blink

Indeed, and I feel it should change Smile. A dev even coined the term poor mans point, iirc. I would sure be interesting to hear their thoughts on it, although I fear the following threadnought would kill the internet Pirate
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#87 - 2012-12-24 22:20:16 UTC
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Indeed, and I feel it should change Smile. A dev even coined the term poor mans point, iirc. I would sure be interesting to hear their thoughts on it, although I fear the following threadnought would kill the internet Pirate

Yes, CCP should change things for the convenience and safety of people in highsec.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Mag's
Azn Empire
#88 - 2012-12-24 22:20:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Mag's
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:

They have already given their thoughts on it.

Oh and I added an edit to that post, just before you quoted it.

Mag's
Azn Empire
#89 - 2012-12-24 22:23:25 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:

Yes, CCP should change things for the convenience and safety of people in highsec.
Let's not forget those in NPC corps.

Oh and Happy Holidays. Big smile

Stein Backstabber
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#90 - 2012-12-24 22:26:53 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Mag's wrote:

They have already given their thoughts on it.

Oh and I added an edit to that post, just before you quoted it.

That was the one, I thought it was longer ago than that Smile

Yes, I simply feel one should be able to shoot wise-ass people more easily before concord wades in Smile. It's like I said, to me, it's neutral RR all over again (remember there were no 'issues' with that either, until it got changed).

@Alavaria Fera: How would the change make it safer? Unless you are inferring bumpers would be....frightened(?) to bump with more consequences than today?

Anyway, I'll be up early with the rugrats so have a good holiday all. o7
Mag's
Azn Empire
#91 - 2012-12-24 22:37:26 UTC
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Yes, I simply feel one should be able to shoot wise-ass people more easily before concord wades in Smile.
War dec them.

Lovely Dumplings
My Little Pony Appreciation Corporation
#92 - 2012-12-24 22:47:31 UTC
I may be wrong on this, but, why not make bumping just generate a limited engagement? Someone bumps my barge, I get on the batphone, call some corpmates over, fleet up, and violence the bumper's spacecanoe. Innocent bumps can be ignored, malicious bumps can be responded to, if you have the resources.

This, of course, assumes fleet members can get involved in limited engagements, like they could before with canbaiting and such.

www.minerbumping.com

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#93 - 2012-12-24 22:50:29 UTC
Stein Backstabber wrote:

My argument is simply that an overtly hostile act should be treated as such. Tell me why it shouldn't? I think that should change.

I've never 'accidentally' bumped something I had locked, in much the same way I've never had a negligent smartbomb discharge, or accidentally shot a ship...just paying attention I suppose.

Edit: Alternatively, perhaps, why should the mechanic remain? I'm not in favor of removal, I like the 'poor mans point' tactic, it's inventive.

However, I do not like the current status quo. It feels wrong on several levels to me. Personal opinion of course.

Auto Target back.
I target you.
Newbie has left Auto target back on, targets me.
I disable targetting on my end.
They stay locked.
Now if I bump them. they are the one who has me locked.
They get whatever consequences result from a 'hostile' act.

One easy step of abuse.
larrios Aurgnet
Taxation Nation
#94 - 2012-12-24 23:02:16 UTC
i thought when 2 ships bumped a baby ship was born,guess i was wrong.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#95 - 2012-12-24 23:31:46 UTC
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
Yes, I simply feel one should be able to shoot wise-ass people more easily before concord wades in Smile.
War dec them.

Yes, I too would like to wardec the NPC corps. Please ask CCP to let me do this, so I can follow your advice.

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Stein Backstabber
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#96 - 2012-12-24 23:45:41 UTC
Nevyn Auscent wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:

Auto Target back.
I target you.
Newbie has left Auto target back on, targets me.
I disable targetting on my end.
They stay locked.
Now if I bump them. they are the one who has me locked.
They get whatever consequences result from a 'hostile' act.

One easy step of abuse.

Setting aside possible impact calculations to determine fault (Potentially/probably too much load?), this is something I had considered, naturally, I don't expect you to believe me: this is the internet after all Blink

Auto target back can be turned off, and it would be a one-time newbie burn - much like can-flipping of old. Can't wrap everyone up in cotton wool forever now, can we? There's also the consideration of the relative locking time required for the typically 'bumped' boats - they aint no inties after all.
Mag's
Azn Empire
#97 - 2012-12-25 07:57:11 UTC
Alavaria Fera wrote:
Mag's wrote:
Stein Backstabber wrote:
War dec them.

Yes, I too would like to wardec the NPC corps. Please ask CCP to let me do this, so I can follow your advice.
Sarcasm. Big smile

I didn't actually mention NPC corps. But people there, have a price to pay for Concord protection. One of them is, not being able to war dec those bumping them. Blink

I did expect someone to mention NPC corps, but not you tbh. Lol Happy holidays.

Princess Gankskank
Ice Axe Psycho Killers
#98 - 2012-12-25 08:06:50 UTC
Quote:
What's wrong with bumping?

Is a pretty old dance bra. U do maybe da Gator next K?

Melee Kaikimakka anywaze.
Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#99 - 2012-12-28 16:33:08 UTC
Lovely Dumplings wrote:
I may be wrong on this, but, why not make bumping just generate a limited engagement? Someone bumps my barge, I get on the batphone, call some corpmates over, fleet up, and violence the bumper's spacecanoe. Innocent bumps can be ignored, malicious bumps can be responded to, if you have the resources.

This, of course, assumes fleet members can get involved in limited engagements, like they could before with canbaiting and such.

This would be pretty terrible on the Jita undock.
Morrigan LeSante
Perkone
Caldari State
#100 - 2012-12-28 21:58:02 UTC
Kainotomiu Ronuken wrote:
Lovely Dumplings wrote:

This would be pretty terrible hilarious on the Jita undock.

I fixed it, and you know it.