These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Louis's epic Overview Settings v1.1

Author
Kriegers
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#41 - 2012-12-14 15:52:25 UTC
Hey Louis,

First off - great job and many thanks. Recently came back to EVE after about a 2 year hiatus (and losing all my old settings), so your setup has been a great help.

Would it be possible for you to upload updated screenshots of the overview settings, to account for the recent new additions?

Kriegers
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#42 - 2012-12-15 00:20:00 UTC
I'll try to get an update out this weekend.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#43 - 2012-12-15 02:35:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
For what it is worth, my recommendations for post-Retribution:

Blinking = pay attention!

* Blinking red background = immediate threat (see icon for why: war target, faction war target, limited engagement)
* Blinking yellow background = no immediate threat but you can shoot (see icon for why: criminal, suspect, -5 standing, kill right)
* Dark Blue or Light Blue background = friendly (alliance, same faction, allies, excellent standing, good standing)

http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/TauCabalander/Overview_Settings-Retribution.png
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#44 - 2012-12-16 21:32:02 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
The overview settings have been updated and replaced by the Retribution version

Salpad asked to see mission items in missions. This has been added to battle pve filter. Some mission objectives might still not be visible, use the select all filter under default to find them. This is due to some mission objectives structures being in the 'random crap' categories which I don't show normally.
He also asked for a 'fast travel' filter. This is the new travel fast highsec filter. If you use this outside of highsec you will die guaranteed. Only gates and the sun will be shown.

There are no perfect overview settings and mine are different than Tau Cabalander. Mine are not necessarily better and I've studied his for inspiration. A lot of this is personal preference but I have also striven to make the settings as simple to understand as possible, i.e.
RED : You SHOULD shoot them everywhere as they will be or already are shooting at you.
ORANGE : You CAN shoot them everywhere, but expect to be shot in return.
YELLOW : DO NOT SHOOT THEM IN HIGHSEC OR CONCORD WILL KILL YOU. Expect sentry gun agression when you shoot them in lowsec. Kill them if you can tough.
A personal preference of mine is no flashing for example. I just find it hard on the eyes and distracting but others like Tau will feel differently. So adjust as you see fit (and at your own risk P)

I've tested this but as usual there are no guarantees that I've not made any mistakes. If you find glaring errors please let me know. The POS filters have not been tested but they should be ok.
Techn0 Tr0nic
Doomheim
#45 - 2012-12-19 10:11:39 UTC
Brilliant + 1 like :)
Taliah Meyhin
#46 - 2012-12-21 10:51:27 UTC
Thank you Louis deGuerre for keeping updating it.

BJ McGreaves
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#47 - 2012-12-21 18:17:37 UTC  |  Edited by: BJ McGreaves
Thanks for this Louis!

I made a few minor modifications but this was a priceless starting point for a new player to have an actually functional and useful overview.

One question though, what is the purpose of the "tag" column on the OV?? It's always blank.
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#48 - 2012-12-21 22:10:14 UTC
BJ McGreaves wrote:
Thanks for this Louis!

I made a few minor modifications but this was a priceless starting point for a new player to have an actually functional and useful overview.

One question though, what is the purpose of the "tag" column on the OV?? It's always blank.

Glad you like it :) If you are in a fleet a fleet commander can tag things. It can be usefull especially when fighting many NPCs with the same name. Most FCs will use the broadcast system tough (from which you can also lock targets) so the tagging system is rarely used.
Anke Eyrou
Hades Sisters
#49 - 2012-12-22 08:06:31 UTC
Louise

Thanks for the file. However I have never been able to figure out what the difference is between a view that includes brackets and a view that doesn't.

Can you please explain what exactly brackets do to the overviewer. Thanks

I expect to get this post deleted or locked. So much for freedom of expression.

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#50 - 2012-12-22 11:05:49 UTC
Brackets are the representation of an element on the grid your ship is in, it's the term used to describe all the symbols floating around your own ship.
The overview window has 2 different uses:

• Listing in a table the elements surrounding you,
  • Displaying them on your screen.

When you configure an overview tab, there's a settings where you assign an overview conf and a bracket conf for a tab. That way you can display a restricted list of elements on the overview to reduce cluttering but still show important things in-space.

[i]"haiku are easy, But sometimes they don't make sense, Refrigerator."[/i]

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#51 - 2012-12-22 12:28:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Sin Pew wrote:
Brackets are the representation of an element on the grid your ship is in, it's the term used to describe all the symbols floating around your own ship.
The overview window has 2 different uses:

• Listing in a table the elements surrounding you,
  • Displaying them on your screen.

When you configure an overview tab, there's a settings where you assign an overview conf and a bracket conf for a tab. That way you can display a restricted list of elements on the overview to reduce cluttering but still show important things in-space.

I can't explain it better than Sin Pew but sometimes a picture helps.

Used my finest paint skillsP

So the Brackets I see there are determined by the filter that I selected in the Bracket Profile for the Battle tab (that is the tab that is currently selected in the overview). What I see in the Overview is determined by the filter I selected in the Overview Profile for the Battle tab.
The filters are set in the Overview Tabs tab in the Overview Settings menu.

P.S. This is an old screenshot using older version of these settings on the test server.

EDIT : Note to self : You forgot to add an Fleet Only filter for the logistics people, didn't you ?
Anke Eyrou
Hades Sisters
#52 - 2012-12-22 14:27:17 UTC
Sin Pew

Many thanks for the explanation makes more sense now.

I expect to get this post deleted or locked. So much for freedom of expression.

Callie Bigguns
Alaea Iacta Est
#53 - 2013-01-19 14:33:44 UTC
Ok so how can I import this on a Mac? I can't find where to copy it to

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Callie_Bigguns

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#54 - 2013-01-21 06:38:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Sin Pew
Callie Bigguns wrote:
Export your current settings and use a speciic name to save it as, then perform a search for "your_file_name.xml", it will surely be in a system or hidden folder, so you will need to allow the search to browse those folders, but should provide you the location.

Callie Bigguns
Alaea Iacta Est
#55 - 2013-01-21 14:01:45 UTC
Sin Pew wrote:
Callie Bigguns wrote:
Export your current settings and use a speciic name to save it as, then perform a search for "your_file_name.xml", it will surely be in a system or hidden folder, so you will need to allow the search to browse those folders, but should provide you the location.

Thanks!! That worked perfectly

http://eveboard.com/pilot/Callie_Bigguns

Sin Pew
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#56 - 2013-01-30 13:34:35 UTC
Bump that up.

Miscus Utu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2013-02-12 14:59:46 UTC
I want to hug You for this !
Rhea Archon
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#58 - 2013-02-19 20:28:51 UTC
You sir are really awesome and your overview settings are the best!

But will you be updating it to Retribution 1.1 and future expansions? I know Retribution 1.1 additions are very minor (just add Attack BC's) but I find it difficult to go through all the separate tabs by myself.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#59 - 2013-02-19 23:55:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
Hey Louis!

I haven't checked your settings, shame on me, but I thought I'd mention that I've set agents in space to blinking blue background instead of black (I have to update the image I posted a few messages back).

I was doing Blood-Stained Stars the other day and noticed that an agent's bracket was right on top of another bracket, so a complete rookie wouldn't have seen him hiding there with my old settings.

Blinking blue goes along with my scheme: blinking = something you need to pay attention to, and blue = friendly. I know how you hate blinking backgrounds though. How do you feel about blinking icons? *chuckle*

Also:

destiny2 wrote:
With today's 1.1 Retribution patch, CCP has quietly broken some of your overview settings. Specifically, in the Types subtab of the Filter tab in your Overview Settings window, the Battlecruisers checkbox has been replaced by two new ones: Attack Battlecruiser and Combat Battlecruiser.

Might want to check on Salvage Drones too.
Shaey
Station 3
#60 - 2013-02-25 06:14:16 UTC
Works good so far, thanks for your effort.