These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo PVP is dead

Author
Barrogh Habalu
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#41 - 2012-12-21 07:35:09 UTC
Vilnius Zar wrote:
Also, quite funny how the vast majority of repliers completely misses the point.

This.

Thanks for the link OP, I lol'd Smile
Danny John-Peter
The Congregation
OnlyFleets.
#42 - 2012-12-21 09:42:20 UTC
Solo PVP isnt dead, it just requires a bit of thought.
Roderick Grey
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#43 - 2012-12-21 10:12:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Roderick Grey
I agree guys, I think any player that doesn't want to play with other people and ignore the majority of Eve's content should be awarded with the "solo module" this module will take up a rig slot (so yeah, technically it's a rig) and what it will do is the following:

Passive buffs:

Make the user immune to Ecm

Double speed

Double tank

Make blasters reach over 100km

Artillery's rate of fire is trippled and can now hit frigates for 100% damage.

If you're flying with a cloak equipped you can now shoot while cloaked.

Active:

When activated it forces all enemy units currently on grid to be propelled 100km in random directions with an added -100% speed and inability to warp for 5 minutes, which will allow you to solo pvp blobs on your terms.

If overheated you will automatically start filming a montage while spamming "Nerf ECM" "Blobbers are cowards" "L2p" "This is MY sandbox and I should play it how I want" in local and all coalition hub-systems.

In all seriousness, blobbers aren't killing solo pvp, it's whiney little scrubs that fail to adapt that are killing solo pvp.

“We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.” - Special needs division of Fcon.

Xuse Senna
Nocturnal Romance
Cynosural Field Theory.
#44 - 2012-12-21 10:33:13 UTC
Nice Kills, Gonna blow the dust off an Arb and Throw it out there, But I'll tweak the fit for a prop mod ;)

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7501/mindgamesceptionfinaldr.jpg

Raneru
Jerkasaurus Wrecks Inc.
Sedition.
#45 - 2012-12-21 11:01:31 UTC
Black ops fail Roll
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#46 - 2012-12-21 11:11:53 UTC
SmilingVagrant wrote:

Picking your targets is the most important thing. Anyone saying solo PVP is dead should probably watch a Kovorix video or something. I had the pleasure of getting my ass kicked by him once (Right when ASB's were introduced) and I ended up dropping a hotdrop gang on him to find his fit (I'm bad at reading patch notes).

How lame, in other PvP MMOs nobody would team with you any more.
Knights Armament
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#47 - 2012-12-21 11:15:48 UTC
pvp in eve

watch ms paint lasers

ship explodes

you pressed 1 button

pretty sweet
Roderick Grey
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#48 - 2012-12-21 11:21:46 UTC
Knights Armament wrote:
pvp in eve

watch ms paint lasers

ship explodes

you pressed 1 button

pretty sweet

Trolling is haaaard

“We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.” - Special needs division of Fcon.

Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#49 - 2012-12-21 11:24:01 UTC
Definition of solo PvP?

A player who wants gentlemanly agreed upon one-on-one?

Or is it a player who wants to be able to sneak upon unsuspecting victims, hit them quickly then run off before his buddies show up?

The former is a matter of trust (heard something about a new feature which would allow for one on one fights, dunno what happened to it though)

The latter? Yeah, it is definitely very EVE-like...in theory. Too bad reality is something entirely different. You know, instant information being the same old issue and all.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#50 - 2012-12-21 11:30:44 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:
Definition of solo PvP?

Or is it a player who wants to be able to sneak upon unsuspecting victims, hit them quickly then run off before his buddies show up?

The former is a matter of trust (heard something about a new feature which would allow for one on one fights, dunno what happened to it though)

The latter? Yeah, it is definitely very EVE-like...in theory. Too bad reality is something entirely different. You know, instant information being the same old issue and all.

Flying alone and taking fight as they come. Trying to outwit, out manoeuvre and outrun groups till one of them makes a mistake and then strike, repeat if possible.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#51 - 2012-12-21 11:38:43 UTC
Vilnius Zar wrote:

Flying alone and taking fight as they come. Trying to outwit, out manoeuvre and outrun groups till one of them makes a mistake and then strike, repeat if possible.

The fun thing is that this is commonly done in other MMOs. On WH we'd call them "boisbands" but I have also done it in GW2. It's about small (2-4-6) groups of players going against 30-50-60 other players baiting and slowly killing them one by one.

It really gives some adrenaline rush to go 1 vs 10 and still farm them. Gotta use all the experience, less known skills, (in some games) time potions, line of sight, all sorts of bait tricks, experience about how collision works, deep knowledge of the terrain features, knowing how to GTFO in case of emergency, being able to stay alive till somebody "resses" the fallen guy(s).

I wonder if EvE got some squads playing like that.
Gillia Winddancer
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-12-21 11:48:03 UTC
Vilnius Zar wrote:
Gillia Winddancer wrote:
Definition of solo PvP?

Ah yes, that is always possible but I do also believe that there are very few of the solo PvP players who do this, no? This does require rather extensive experience after all and precise knowledge of many factors.

And then there is still the question of whether these players would want EVE to increase their odds somewhat by offering them the chance of surprise attacking enemies, even if outnumbered.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#53 - 2012-12-21 12:37:14 UTC
Gillia Winddancer wrote:
Ah yes, that is always possible but I do also believe that there are very few of the solo PvP players who do this, no? This does require rather extensive experience after all and precise knowledge of many factors.

And then there is still the question of whether these players would want EVE to increase their odds somewhat by offering them the chance of surprise attacking enemies, even if outnumbered.

It requires an actual understanding of the game, mechanics, ships, fits and strategies. Something which most people severely lack whether they're fierce 0.0 pvpers or not. In fact most people who pvp in 0.0 are quite clueless on things, all they're good at is following orders (and even that they manage to mess up). They act all brave and shout a lot but when push comes to shove they're just as clueless as the average high sec bear.

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#54 - 2012-12-21 15:47:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarvos Telesto
Great kills, This guy is my new hero, however this hero in t1 cruiser isynt a prof that solo still exist in EvE, this guy got nice skills, good fit, and a lot luck + noobs enemys.

With full respect to him, solo die long time ago, dont look at single example, look at alts, and factor of big blobs vs single enemy in general.

Solo pvp die long time ago, solo exist long time ago when EvE start and few people know to pvp and roaming solo in low sec- nulls pace, these days solo is almost impossible exept like you are camper in stealth recon and wainting for some rating noob with pve fit, even this expamle isynt a true solo...

EvE never Die but solo die long time ago.

Ps. Im going to sent this arbi pilot some isk as donation, just because he do grat job and drop some blob jaw on floor.

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-12-21 16:25:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Amarra Mandalin
Where does one get that EVE being an MMO = Solo PvP was never intended?

EVE is a Sandbox. If I want to kill something and someone is willing to fly solo -- should we cross paths, there is a possibility one of us may die. This scenario has been repeated more than a few times, me thinks.

Solo PvP in my mind also includes (some) solo kills within the larger scheme of PvP be it FW, war, etc. Albeit it is often defined as roaming and camping for targets.

Then there is this ...
http://eve-kill.net/?a=home&solo=true

It's not a particularly exciting page, isk-wise, I admit.

(Ninja Edit) Killboards only tell a partial story: missing those who warp off in structure, the hunt etc.
Ares Desideratus
UNSAFE SPACE
#56 - 2012-12-21 16:36:32 UTC
Solo, it's deader than dead

The shock, it's all in your head
Amarra Mandalin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-12-21 16:44:21 UTC
Ares Desideratus wrote:
Solo, it's deader than dead

The shock, it's all in your head

To be fair, not everyone is lucky enough to have the Solo Channel...so quit rubbing it in. Blink
Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#58 - 2012-12-21 16:55:29 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Not even going to read a stupid article about something EVE was never intended for.

Solo PvP has ALWAYS been dead. This is a massive multiplayer game, always has been. Not 1v1 deathmatch, never will be.

For those of you who don't get it. MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online. Massive does not mean 2.

ooooh
call the mmo police
Shocked
Mr Kidd
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#59 - 2012-12-21 17:10:28 UTC
Seven Koskanaiken wrote:
if solo pvp were dead i wouldn't play this awful game

Dead and effectively dead are quite different. Effectively solo pvp is dead. Time commitment + chance of being blobbed to death = effectively dead. Technically, no it's not. But then even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day. I think it's safe to say that technically, this wasn't even solo pvp otherwise this guy was blindly traversing lowsec. The odds are not in his favor of running into favorable or even semi-favorable fights. I would guess that he probably had a cov-op scouting his way and found something which looked favorable. Arazu's being what they are (I fly one) don't have a lot of tank and are not difficult to take down. Cudos to the pilot for his knowledge of combat to leverage the situation. But I highly doubt this is a case of a guy in a lone ship setting out to find pvp. Therefore, it's not technically solo pvp. At best it's a guy that knows what he's doing. At worst it's a very lucky pilot.

Don't ban me, bro!

Alua Oresson
Alcorp Unlimited
#60 - 2012-12-21 18:52:18 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:
Two people didn't read the linked article before posting.

I don't think that solo PVP is dead. I have friends that do so all the time. I even try my hand at it occaisionally. Also, I have stopped reading Jester's blogs since he went full pants on head ********.

http://pvpwannabe.blogspot.com/