These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Solo PVP is dead

Author
I Love Boobies
All Hail Boobies
#21 - 2012-12-18 03:52:35 UTC  |  Edited by: I Love Boobies
I remember my last strictly 1v1 pvp in low sec. Was my Manticore vs a Taranis. Was when my Manticore still had cruise missiles. He was like 100km off. I thought, what the heck, I uncloaked and engaged him. I got popped naturally, but it was very close. One more volley, he would have popped, was down to structure. Was the most fun I had in a PvP fight. That was when you could still actually find 1vs1 fights in low sec and 0.0, and people were actually willing to engage in them.
Maelle LuzArdiden
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#22 - 2012-12-18 04:06:28 UTC
Damn those are some fine kills :o

dexington
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#23 - 2012-12-18 07:41:14 UTC
It's fake.

Had it been real a drake would have warped in and killed him, right before the first black ops would have died.

I'm a relatively respectable citizen. Multiple felon perhaps, but certainly not dangerous.

Call Rollard
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#24 - 2012-12-20 20:30:52 UTC
I've gotten many 1V1's before in low sec and I got one in NPC null sec before.

Its not dead for sure but you got to watch who is in your local and who could be bait.
Randolph Rothstein
whatever corp.
#25 - 2012-12-20 21:07:37 UTC
eve is dying
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#26 - 2012-12-20 21:15:14 UTC
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:
its an MMO

if you want solo pvp. take it to the arena.

Me outwitting a group is the biggest rush there is.

This.

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

awhiplash
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-12-20 21:18:29 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
Zarnak Wulf wrote:
Kitty Bear wrote:
its an MMO

if you want solo pvp. take it to the arena.

Me outwitting a group is the biggest rush there is.

This.

that
Lady Spank
Get Out Nasty Face
#28 - 2012-12-20 21:18:50 UTC
As for the OP. Solo doesn't involve links and remote reps which this pilot uses. What was the point of this thread?

(ಠ_ృ) ~ It Takes a Million Years to Become Diamonds So Lets Just Burn Like Coal Until the Sky's Black ~ (ಠ_ృ)

Vera Algaert
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#29 - 2012-12-20 22:36:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Vera Algaert
Marlona Sky wrote:
Solo pvp has been dead for an extremely long time now. As amazing as those kills are, I'm not going to say solo pvp is fine because some idiots derped some black ops ships on a cruiser taking gate guns.

Most impressive pvp results are either due to planning or to the enemy derping in some extremely stupid fashion.

I used to think low of my pvp abilities because I felt that most of my kills were due to the enemies being ****-fit or making obvious mistakes. How can you be proud after winning that sort of fight?

Then I started watching solo pvp videos from people who know what they are doing - and realized that the only reason they can get away with seemingly impossible stunts is not because of their own god-like skills but because their enemies derp all the time.

What is "seemingly impossible" is usually impossible if your enemy doesn't make mistakes - whether your name is John Doe or Garmon.

The "trick" to solo pvp is to gamble on your enemies derping frequently while trying to make few mistakes of your own.

Haedonism Bot
People for the Ethical Treatment of Rogue Drones
#30 - 2012-12-20 23:22:33 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:
Solo pvp has been dead for an extremely long time now. As amazing as those kills are, I'm not going to say solo pvp is fine because some idiots derped some black ops ships on a cruiser taking gate guns.

Most impressive pvp results are either due to planning or to the enemy derping in some extremely stupid fashion.

I used to think low of my pvp abilities because I felt that most of my kills were due to the enemies being ****-fit or making obvious mistakes. How can you be proud after winning that sort of fight?

Then I started watching solo pvp videos from people who know what they are doing - and realized that the only reason they can get away with seemingly impossible stunts is not because of their own god-like skills but because their enemies derp all the time.

What is "seemingly impossible" is usually impossible if your enemy doesn't make mistakes - whether your name is John Doe or Garmon.

The "trick" to solo pvp is to gamble on your enemies derping frequently while trying to make few mistakes of your own.

You are an NPC corp alt, so any argument you make is invalid.

But you are right about this, my most impressive kills were usually because the other guy made some catastrophic mistake. Likewise my most embarrassing losses were because I screwed up in some fatal way (burning out my guns, spamming "keep at range" on the sun instead of my opponent and wondering why it isn't working, etc.) The fact is, most EVE players suck at solo PvP when you get right down to it, and once you have had a little practice, you can often gamble on the other guy screwing up more often than you do. I often tell new players just to attack everyone they see out solo, regardless of what the other guy is flying (with some qualifications) because they might just screw up and let you get away with an awesome killmail, especially in situations where they didn't expect to be attacked and weren't ready for it.

www.everevolutionaryfront.blogspot.com

Vote Sabriz Adoudel and Tora Bushido for CSMX. Keep the Evil in EVE!

Pinaculus
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#31 - 2012-12-20 23:49:08 UTC
And you can always edit out the really embarrassing deaths from your YouTube videos...

I know sometimes it's difficult to realize just how much you spend on incidental things each month or year, but seriously, EVE is very cheap entertainment compared to most things... If you are a smoker, smoke one less pack a week and pay for EVE, with money left over to pick up a cheap bundle of flowers for the EVE widow upstairs.

Seven Koskanaiken
Shadow Legions.
#32 - 2012-12-21 01:29:58 UTC
Vera Algaert wrote:
Marlona Sky wrote:

If you are in a woods chased by a bear, you don't need to be a good runner, just faster than your slowest friend
ihcn
Life. Universe. Everything.
#33 - 2012-12-21 02:31:37 UTC
Rengerel en Distel wrote:
When people say they want to solo pve, everyone points out this is a MMO.

When you go out for solo pvp, you're fighting.........................

come on, you know this........................

last chance........

another player!
SmilingVagrant
Doomheim
#34 - 2012-12-21 04:10:13 UTC
Az Tek wrote:
Dear god. Not this thread again...

Solo PVP is not dead. You just need to know how to do it.

You can't expect to log in, undock, and find an afk Navy Issue in the top belt. You must actually put in some leg work. Rather than sitting on gates in massive blobs you must find the target best suited for your current fit. Or just shoot at everything like I do.

Akai Kvaesir wrote:
Solo PVP requires thought (gasp!) patience (double gasp!) and dedication (what does that even mean?!).

This to

I rarely try my hand at solo PVP but the few times I have I've noted the following:

Picking your targets is the most important thing. Anyone saying solo PVP is dead should probably watch a Kovorix video or something. I had the pleasure of getting my ass kicked by him once (Right when ASB's were introduced) and I ended up dropping a hotdrop gang on him to find his fit (I'm bad at reading patch notes).

I then copied his fit, modified it to fit a cloak and lived in IRC space for a week picking off interesting targets before I overcommited and blew up.
Vertisce Soritenshi
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#35 - 2012-12-21 04:27:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Vertisce Soritenshi
Not even going to read a stupid article about something EVE was never intended for.

Solo PvP has ALWAYS been dead. This is a massive multiplayer game, always has been. Not 1v1 deathmatch, never will be.

For those of you who don't get it. MMO stands for Massive Multiplayer Online. Massive does not mean 2.

Bounties for all! https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2279821#post2279821

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#36 - 2012-12-21 04:50:50 UTC
Vertisce Soritenshi wrote:
Not even going to read a stupid article about something EVE was never intended for.

I knew you wouldn't, you are so easily lead, which is why the title, "solo PvP is dead."
Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#37 - 2012-12-21 04:55:11 UTC
Lady Spank wrote:
As for the OP. Solo doesn't involve links and remote reps which this pilot uses. What was the point of this thread?

Remote reps would explain his extraordinary luck. Did Jester misreport this fight?
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#38 - 2012-12-21 06:35:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Vilnius Zar
Mara Rinn wrote:
Lady Spank wrote:

Remote reps would explain his extraordinary luck. Did Jester misreport this fight?

Not sure but looking at the Arbi fit suggests he had armor links, not RR. But that's just a guess either way.

Also, quite funny how the vast majority of repliers completely misses the point.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#39 - 2012-12-21 06:41:59 UTC
Mara Rinn wrote:

8/10 look at all those bites!

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Ocih
Space Mermaids
#40 - 2012-12-21 07:23:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Ocih
I saw a show on Discovery a few nights ago about a city in India where they followed a bunch of people around as they did their "job". They lived in a gold town but didn't have jobs at the jewelry shops so they would pan the waste water outside the houses of people who did work there. They would get a few hundred milligrams of gold dust a month that washed off their bodies when they took a shower.

Solo PvP is like that in EVE. it always was. It's a gank based game. It always was. Gank beats tank, people have a habit of using what works.