These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Out of Pod Experience

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Asus Vivobook

First post
Author
Quinn Harrington
primordial star
#1 - 2012-12-19 19:54:11 UTC
I'm looking for a laptop that can play eve, it seems to be really hard to find any specifics on what will play it ok.

I'd like something portable, main gaming is on a pc I built, this would be for lighter use when I'm away from the PC.

I've seen the Asus Vivobook, i3-3217U with HD4000. 11" 1366x768 screen, so not too many pixels to push.

Would something like this play the game ok?

This seemed to be the best forum section to ask in, sorry if it's wrong.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#2 - 2012-12-19 19:57:21 UTC
Quinn Harrington wrote:

Out of Pod is where people usually go for tech advice.

Here this has maybe an hour at most before someone treadjacks it into a thread about hisec needing a nerf.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Urgg Boolean
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-12-19 20:22:42 UTC
The reql question is how much performance do you want?

I currently run two clients on the laptop I used in college. It's only claim to fame is 3G RAM. I keep all video settings min/diabled/off. Two clients rune fine.

If you want max performance on a laptop, you will have some research to do.
Quinn Harrington
primordial star
#4 - 2012-12-19 20:25:27 UTC
Ok. I'll post there, thanks!

I'd just like it to run a single client smoothly.
S'No Flake
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-12-19 20:29:55 UTC
Quinn Harrington wrote:
I'm looking for a laptop that can play eve, it seems to be really hard to find any specifics on what will play it ok.

I'd like something portable, main gaming is on a pc I built, this would be for lighter use when I'm away from the PC.

I've seen the Asus Vivobook, i3-3217U with HD4000. 11" 1366x768 screen, so not too many pixels to push.

11" it is too small...
I used to play from a 12" and it was a pain in the a...
Now, i play from a 15" and it is better.
xanderh
Red Viking Conglomerate
#6 - 2012-12-19 22:41:59 UTC
The lenovo thinkpad w530 is pretty good. Very good components, the graphics card performance rivals that of an nvidia 500-series card. Also, since it's a thinkpad, you can throw it at a wall without even scratching the hard disk too much. I've seen it happen before, the casing didn't even crack. Also, thinkpads have amazing cooling, they never run hot and they're pretty much completely silent.

Also, it's about 1300 $, which is fairly cheap, considering what performance it'll achieve in most games.
Doc Fury
Furious Enterprises
#7 - 2012-12-19 22:55:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Doc Fury
xanderh wrote:
The lenovo thinkpad w530 is pretty good. Very good components, the graphics card performance rivals that of an nvidia 500-series card. Also, since it's a thinkpad, you can throw it at a wall without even scratching the hard disk too much. I've seen it happen before, the casing didn't even crack. Also, thinkpads have amazing cooling, they never run hot and they're pretty much completely silent.

Also, it's about 1300 $, which is fairly cheap, considering what performance it'll achieve in most games.

Lenovo makes great stuff, and you can buy a barebones model and upgrade the RAM and HDD yourself to usable levels and save a lot of iskies.

I have a new T530 with the Nvidia GPU option and it runs EVE at 1600X900 just fine at 60FPS and it cost about $1000. I did not opt for the W530 (which has an even better GPU) specifically because the CPU in that model is automatically throttled-down when running on batteries with no way to override.

There's a million angry citizens looking down their tubes..at me.

Anabelle Martinez
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-12-20 00:44:46 UTC
I've got a desktop and a laptop, my laptop is an old Dell 1720 from about 10 years ago. Core Duo 2.4gHZ, 4 gigs of mem and a non integrated 256meg video card. It won't run eve on top gfx and it doesn't handle in station to well but on med/high gfx it runs a treat. Doesn't take much to run the game unless you are looking for max gfx and if you want that out of a laptop you're better off to go with something good which is going to run you some nice change.
Quinn Harrington
primordial star
#9 - 2012-12-20 06:53:33 UTC
Those ones are a bit above my price range, I'm aiming to keep the Cost down under £500.

Ive spotted a Zoostorm laptop with no os. Just a bit bulky. Still, i5 3rd gen, 16GB and 1TB for £399

I'd really like something along the lines of a netbook that can do light gaming.
ISD TYPE40
Imperial Shipment
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-12-20 09:08:50 UTC
Thread moved from GD to OOPE - ISD Type40.

[b]ISD Type40 Lt. Commander Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

xanderh
Red Viking Conglomerate
#11 - 2012-12-20 10:26:16 UTC
Quinn Harrington wrote:
Those ones are a bit above my price range, I'm aiming to keep the Cost down under £500.

Ive spotted a Zoostorm laptop with no os. Just a bit bulky. Still, i5 3rd gen, 16GB and 1TB for £399

I'd really like something along the lines of a netbook that can do light gaming.

I'm running EVE on an old Lenovo Thinkpad T500, it's almost 5 years old now, but runs a surprising amount of stuff. So, pretty much any thinkpad will run EVE.

The T530 that was suggested earlier costs 1000 $, or about 600 £, but if you go for one of the slightly cheaper, or older, models, you should be fine.
Akita T
Caldari Navy Volunteer Task Force
#12 - 2012-12-20 10:43:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Akita T
Quinn Harrington wrote:
Ok. I'll post there, thanks!

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2348920
ISD TYPE40 wrote:
Thread moved from GD to OOPE - ISD Type40.

Ahem.

Quinn Harrington wrote:
I'm aiming to keep the Cost down under £500.

Small and light + good screen resolution + can play EVE smoothly + very cheap + buy new ?
Sorry, no such thing at this time.
Reduce requirements, drop at least one of those conditions, preferably two.

Try something along these lines:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-G770-17-3-inch-Laptop/dp/B005TPRVSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1354451675&sr=1-1 (larger, used)
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/156-acer-aspire-v5-571g-gaming-core-i3-2367m-4gb-500gb-nv-gt620m-1gb-dvdrw-webcam-w7hp-64bit (medium size, medium performance)

Quote:

Again, that all before being said, this would be able to run EVE.
But like you said, pretty low resolution, however that's more or less a given for cheap small devices.
Performance should be tolerable, especially if you reduce graphic detail a bit.

Alternatively, you can always remote log-in to your home PC (via Teamviewer or such) or (later on) use a service similar to OnLive.