These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Question about "NEWS IN EVE" - all devs and players please read...

First post
Author
Xalon Peacebringer
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-18 18:26:01 UTC
itetings capsuleers! You may call me Xalon(Zay-Lon) or X for short. I have played EVE Online a few times over the past 3-4 years with a free trial here or there - never sticking with it past a week. Fortunately, I was able to get a 21 day trial over a week ago and have been playing EVE daily for the last nine days! I plan on subscribing for 90 days on january 1st - start the year off right! The more I play EVE the more I enjoy it and the more comfortable I become. Also, as i learn more about teh gameworld and game systems - I become more confident.

So, I have been trying to read as much lore and wiki excerpts as I can - all to learn more about this fantastic universe CCP created a decade ago! I started reading the Empyrean Age novel and will be reading Templar One after it. i have also read the "Jovian Wetgrave" short-story which I think all new Eve players should read. It makes the world of a capsuleer sooo much clearer - as you understand what the capsuleer does and receive lore explaing how everything we see on screen as a player. is exactly what a capsuleer in New Eden also sees! Everything from the menus and maps to the 3rd-person camera views - its all explained. I understood the game's concept at first, but after reading this short story - it just CLICKED in a way that made playing soo much more fluid. I didnt have to think about what the view from a bridge/cockpit would be like or wonder why I could only use the 3p view. I just accepted it after reading it and now when I play - it all seems so 'RIGHT'

Ok enough of that - now to the REASON FOR THIS POST:

I was online looking at all the great information and lore on the EVE Online main and wiki websites. I then came upon a section titled " NEWS IN EVE" where events that happen in the New Eden world/gameworld would be detailed as if by a real news service. Now, I know that some of these news "events" could not take place in-game, as they happened inside a station, complex or facility - or on a planets surface. Some are battles, terrorist actions and even government-related actions and events - all types. However, as I read more and more of these "events" I realize that a good majority of these have taken place IN SPACE and in systems/sectors that existed in the Eve Online gameworld.

So, I would like to know... Are ALL the events that are posted in this "news of eve" section represented in-game for players to see/interact with, or are they all just stories of lore/game background that happen to be in the same areas that players can adventure in.

One example would be a Serpentis Attack on an asteroid station in a certain system. The news would say how 10 ships of a certain type have attacked this station and have taken over it - awaiting reinforcements and holding anyone still breathing inside as hostages.Would this mean that players who were in this area were able to see this Serpentis attack actually take place?

If a piece said that something happened somewhere, then players could have witnessed that event take place and/or possibly attack those entities or defend whatever else is involved. Or if the "events" themselves are just lore to backup the appearance of certain ships - would it then mean that while the Serpentis Attack wasnt "seen" but the Serpentis ships now APPEAR surrounding that asteroid station and players can attack/interact with those ships and/or not be allowed to dock with that station or have to pay a fee/tax to land there. Or SOMETHING.

I am speculating because there is NO INFORMATION explaining this. It could be as simple as "yes - if something is said to have happened in Eve space, then it also happened in-game" or "no its just lore to give a background to what is going on in the new eden universe involving parties/entities that you cannot interact with". I soo hope its the former. Soo many of these "events" sound great and are like big battles/min-quests just waiting to happen. Being in a certain sector when one of these happens is amazing just to watch! But also knowing you could interact, or, that things change over time - even if its just different NPC ships randomly attacking areas of space like INCURSIONS is just soo epic!

PLEASE RESPOND, DEVS OR PLAYERS, IF YOU KNOW FOR A FACT AN ANSWER OR 'THE ANSWERS' TO WHAT I HAVE ASKED ABOVE. Any information is appreciated and I do hope for this to be cleared up so I can get excited and re-read everything that has happened in these "news of eve" summaries.

Below is the link to just 2012's "NEWS IN EVE" posts - as it goes back every yeat to 2002-2003 I believe.

http://community.eveonline.com/news/archive.asp

Anyways, thanks again and I will check back soon for answers. Salute!

-X
Dheeradj Nurgle
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#2 - 2012-12-18 18:44:11 UTC
Some of them are, some of them don't

Quote:
One example would be a Serpentis Attack on an asteroid station in a certain system. The news would say how 10 ships of a certain type have attacked this station and have taken over it - awaiting reinforcements and holding anyone still breathing inside as hostages.Would this mean that players who were in this area were able to see this Serpentis attack actually take place?

This one was not.

The so called Malkalen_catastrophe, only the result(Ruined Station) was seen. The model of the station got switched out at Downtime IIRC.

Some, like the Guristas invasion were actual events.(Lol Guristas got pounded into oblivion by the Eggers)
Xalon Peacebringer
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-12-18 18:55:38 UTC
I was just making up an event that was similiar to some that I read. I was not impying that actiually happened LOL.

Thats really cool btw- thanks for the info! Theres hundreds upon HUNDREDS of them! I hope some are real or still there! lol
Merouk Baas
#4 - 2012-12-18 20:39:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
TLDR

Some of the news actually happen in-game, and some of it is just written fiction. You can kind of tell based on whether or not it mentions "capsuleers" or actual character, player corp, or allliance names, as opposed to the actions of prime fiction NPC's such as the Amarr Empress or various other heads-of-state (to which we can't possibly have access).

Also, for news and commentary on what us players are actually doing, check the sites listed here that have a NEWS checkmark. Also, evenews24, doesn't seem to be listed there.

Finally, CCP has set up this new forum for announcing when devs will do live events. And players may organize events on their own in this forum, so check that too.
Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#5 - 2012-12-18 21:35:26 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#6 - 2012-12-20 08:44:27 UTC
Xalon Peacebringer wrote:
"yes - if something is said to have happened in Eve space, then it also happened in-game"

Yes - if something is said to have happened in Eve space, then it also happened in-game. P

Of course, if the event was an "instant" thing, like the Malkalen Catastrophe or Tibus Heth being shot, there is no actual "interaction" involved in Eve. It's just something that happened in the universe, and it may practically be important or not at some point.

Other things, though, like the Battle of Mehkios, or the Sansha incursions and planetary abductions actually happened and players could participate.

In short, lore you see is indeed canon, though only part of it can be really interacted with in space.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.