These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Agression time / gate aggro

First post
Author
zzlep Alduin
Alveare Artifex
#1 - 2012-12-19 23:49:06 UTC  |  Edited by: zzlep Alduin
Just curious as to how people find the aggro timer on a gate.

i personally hate it since it allows such lame tactics for what some people call PVP.

Let me run this one by you - engage having a GF - then 10 jump through the gate to make it a garanteed overkill.

How do people feel? Do people think it aggro should depend on the class size of your ship?
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#2 - 2012-12-19 23:52:28 UTC
zzlep Alduin wrote:
Just curious as to how people find the aggro timer on a gate.

i personally hate it since it allows such lame tactics for what some people call PVP.

Let me run this one by you - engage having a GF - then 10 jump through the gate to make it a garanteed overkill.

How do people feel? Do people think it aggro should depend on the class size of your ship?


Don't engage on a gate if you don't know what's on the other side of it.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Unsuccessful At Everything
The Troll Bridge
#3 - 2012-12-20 00:20:00 UTC
War Kitten wrote:


Don't engage on a gate if you don't know what's on the other side of it.


This is sound advice.

Since the cessation of their usefulness is imminent, may I appropriate your belongings?

StuRyan
Space Mutts
Fraternity.
#4 - 2012-12-20 00:20:08 UTC  |  Edited by: StuRyan
PVP is quite difficult on a solo or small scale.

After spending the best part of 4-5 years trying to kill things solo and in a small gang i have a mixed bag of successes and fails.

I would like to see a more thought out process for actually engaging in PVP what that is i have no idea. But i tend to aggree that the gate aggro after engaging seems to play right into the hands of gang warfare and overkill... Like i said many stories of successes but just as many "engage and was having a good fight until local jumped and at the point i gave up".
Ludi Burek
The Player Haters Corp
#5 - 2012-12-20 01:15:46 UTC
And what exactly, OP, do you think would happen if there were no timers?

People would just jump out on you when you have the upper hand and you would get all mad again and post here.
ISD Suvetar
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#6 - 2012-12-20 01:36:42 UTC
Thread cleaned up somewhat.

If you disagree with a comment then your options are to ignore it, or post a constructive retort.
Personal attacks and lashing out at people for having an opinion are unwelcome and against the rules.

Thanks and fly safe.

[b]ISD Suvetar Captain/Commando Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs) Interstellar Services Department[/b]

Xercodo
Cruor Angelicus
#7 - 2012-12-20 01:49:17 UTC
The "remove timers!" argument would turn into "remove gates!" argument.

And before you know it it'll become arena gameplay with very clear on concise rules and regulations regarding how many people are fighting and what the can do with the accuracy of a legal document and then EVE dies.

The Drake is a Lie

Jacob Rider
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-12-20 02:18:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Jacob Rider
Aggro timers should be the same for all players, like they are now. The gate not working for you is because you made the decision to aggress. The size of your ship shouldn't make any difference.

This is from someone who has been in that situation many times. I've also been one of the guys waiting on the other side of the gate many times.
StuRyan
Space Mutts
Fraternity.
#9 - 2012-12-20 06:51:19 UTC  |  Edited by: StuRyan
I tend to disagree - I think you are right in that the removal of timers would cause people to jump out but here's the thing, the current system has no skill involved. On one hand you have people who take PVP as it comes and couldnt care about losing a ship, on the other hand most people want a good fight.

I would prefer to use Skill and push targets off the gate so it can not jump and i would decrease the "within jumping range area" from 2500m to something like <1000m and have the jump area different shapes and sizes so that no gate is the same. That way in my eyes you actually force people to use a bit of skill instead of the "and his agressed jump jump jump" method which is really quite a big negative aspect of pvp.

Perhaps another idea is if you are not the agressor then you are free from gate times - kind of like in low sec where the guns will hit the agressor and not the defender - but i dont like this because you end up getting a situation where "you shoot first", "No you shoot first situation".

Bottom line is i feel that gate timers and agression are a little out of date now and I'd like that to have an overhaul in the favour of the PVPer, as i feel the current system is very much infavour of some quite ridonkulous lame tactics.
zzlep Alduin
Alveare Artifex
#10 - 2012-12-20 07:24:14 UTC
Xercodo wrote:
The "remove timers!" argument would turn into "remove gates!" argument.

And before you know it it'll become arena gameplay with very clear on concise rules and regulations regarding how many people are fighting and what the can do with the accuracy of a legal document and then EVE dies.


Remove timers -> remove gates??? Not sure how you remove gates but a removal of timers so that there is a system that promotes better tactics and game play... I like.
War Kitten
Panda McLegion
#11 - 2012-12-20 12:47:49 UTC
There's nothing wrong with having the timers. As some have pointed out, it would be even sillier without timers where you could sit on the gate, shoot with impunity and jump if it got too hot for you.

What would be more interesting is a way to shut down a gate for a short amount of time.

Create a new module (or use the existing hacking one), and create a new hacking sub-skill for the task. You have to be in close proximity to the gate, it generates a criminal flag screwing with empire electronics like this, and make the cycle time on the module about twice as long as the shut down duration. Let the skill level either increase/reduce duration/reactivation or increase the chance of success if chance-based.

Multiple attempts to hack a given gate should interfere with one another to the point of making it far less effective than one person doing it.

I don't judge people by their race, religion, color, size, age, gender, or ethnicity. I judge them by their grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation, clarity of expression, and logical consistency.

Thomas Gore
Blackfyre Enterprise
#12 - 2012-12-20 12:53:30 UTC
zzlep Alduin wrote:
Xercodo wrote:
The "remove timers!" argument would turn into "remove gates!" argument.

And before you know it it'll become arena gameplay with very clear on concise rules and regulations regarding how many people are fighting and what the can do with the accuracy of a legal document and then EVE dies.


Remove timers -> remove gates??? Not sure how you remove gates but a removal of timers so that there is a system that promotes better tactics and game play... I like.


Pressing D while clicking the gate when you're losing is better tactics and game play?
zzlep Alduin
Alveare Artifex
#13 - 2012-12-20 13:04:26 UTC
Thomas Gore wrote:
zzlep Alduin wrote:
Xercodo wrote:
The "remove timers!" argument would turn into "remove gates!" argument.

And before you know it it'll become arena gameplay with very clear on concise rules and regulations regarding how many people are fighting and what the can do with the accuracy of a legal document and then EVE dies.


Remove timers -> remove gates??? Not sure how you remove gates but a removal of timers so that there is a system that promotes better tactics and game play... I like.


Pressing D while clicking the gate when you're losing is better tactics and game play?


And having people as back up and overkill when you are losing is a better tactic and game play yes?