These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

You CANT Nerf HighSec!

First post First post First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#501 - 2012-12-19 14:05:18 UTC
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

Sovereign nullsec gives you ownership and control of the biggest player-ownable shinies in the game, but there is a price for the access to that content. You get to retain highsec access, but your own space is a pale imitation of NPC space.

That's backwards. Surely it ought to be

"You risk losing that space, but your own space is greatly superior to NPC space"

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#502 - 2012-12-19 14:14:30 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

Sovereign nullsec gives you ownership and control of the biggest player-ownable shinies in the game, but there is a price for the access to that content. You get to retain highsec access, but your own space is a pale imitation of NPC space.

"You risk losing that space, but your own space is greatly superior to NPC space"

They could do that, but the sovereignty mechanic itself would need to be sharply limited if they did, otherwise groups would be able to use the superior space to amass too much power and would become unchallengable barring internal disruption.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Weaselior
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#503 - 2012-12-19 14:15:44 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

"Game balance" as you intend it is something done to traditional, linear games, where you basically know "how it must work" in advance.

this is utterly stupefyingly wrong: traditional linear games are the ones that can best allow unbalanced gameplay

it is multiplayer competitive games where players play against each other that game balance is at its most important

i don't know if you could have been more wrong without actually being Buzzy Warstl

Head of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal Pubbie Management and Exploitation Division.

psycho freak
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#504 - 2012-12-19 14:19:18 UTC
Posting in another null secer alt nurf hisec bar to much isk bring carbares to null whine cry thread

btw hi mom

my spelling sux brb find phone number for someone who gives a fu*k

nop cant find it

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#505 - 2012-12-19 14:23:59 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

"Game balance" as you intend it is something done to traditional, linear games, where you basically know "how it must work" in advance.

this is utterly stupefyingly wrong: traditional linear games are the ones that can best allow unbalanced gameplay

it is multiplayer competitive games where players play against each other that game balance is at its most important

i don't know if you could have been more wrong without actually being Buzzy Warstl

You only insult me because I'm a challenge to your authority.

In a forum about an on-line game.

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#506 - 2012-12-19 16:03:17 UTC
And once again.

Every single question I asked was either skirted around or argued with an entirely unrelated point.

And each time it was a character, from an NPC corp, telling me that NPC corp industrialists are fine, and that because we can build a titan there's nothing wrong with industry balance in high sec.

So someone explain this to me.

Who can make more building a any single T1 item in the game.
The guy in an NPC corp, or the guy in a player run corp with a PoS.

Untill the answer,
The guy int he PoS, **** isn't balanced.
Just because people do it, doesn't make it balanced. Some people shove spikes through there own boides, obviously as human beings some of us don't mind doing the "hard" things.

You should be rewarded for using the tools that CCP provides us, not for ignoring the majority of them, and that's exactly how industry works right now.

Almost 30 pages worth of people saying "it's not balanced, but it's ok". That's all I see in most of the responces here. A lot of people that think it's ok for NPC corp industrialists to be the most efficient in the game.

Here i am, saying over and over, and as load as you can on the forums that HIGH SEC CORPS, HIGH SEC, is getting ****** as much as the null industrialists.

Damn near everything in EVE is balanced around a few very simple ideas. The more risk you take, the more effort involved, and the more people needed to acheive soemthing, the more you are rewarded. Except for industry. Indusrialists are not rewarded for joining a corporatin and using palyer built structures, anyone saying otherwise are lying. If you're in a player run corp, using player built structures to do industry, you are penalized; that is a FACT.

Unless you want to do very specific things, that require you to work with other people, a lot of skill training, and is limitted in need, you have no reason to leave the NPC corp as an industrialist. Few people will ever actually do any kind of industry beyond T2 production. Advanced industrial activities are aready rewarded due to the restirctions involved in doing it. That doesn't make the other 99.9% of industry balanced.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#507 - 2012-12-19 16:13:02 UTC
How is it not balanced?

T1 items need to be produced at a rate appropriate to the number of people using T1 items.
POS give capabilities other than raw T1 production that *are* restricted in highsec like you suggest production needs to be.

"It's the best at everything" isn't balance.

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#508 - 2012-12-19 17:13:23 UTC  |  Edited by: Natsett Amuinn
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
How is it not balanced?

T1 items need to be produced at a rate appropriate to the number of people using T1 items.
POS give capabilities other than raw T1 production that *are* restricted in highsec like you suggest production needs to be.

Who's saying things need to be restricted?

And are you really saying that people won't build T1 items in high sec if the stations cost more to use, lines were reduced slightly, and max refine rate was reduced?

Because that would be silly.

Can you build things significantly cheaper in a PoS?
Can you put the things your PoS builds on the market from your PoS?

Do you think there is some sort of "progression" expected as an industrialist. Like doing the next raid in another MMO, do you think that as an industrialist you're ultimately expected to end up building titans? EVE doesn't work that way for me.

Fine, how about remove T2 production from NPC stations. In order to do any T2 and up production you have to do it in a player run structure.

Don't touch slots.
Don't touch refine rates.
Do nothing but remove T2 production from high sec NPC stations.

Quite honestly that's what it comes down to, T2 production. T2 production is the only the only form of "progression" for an industrialist. Cap production up is for those people that want to specialize in something that requires more teamwork to do. T2 production is what every single industrialist should be working towards doing.

And every single character that is not in an NPC corp, working from high sec NPC stations, is at a disadvantage when it comes to T2 production.

I do not care if it's cheaper to do it in high sec. I only care that it's cheapest to do it in an undeccable corporation, working out of a station that you can't lose access too. If high sec is the cheapest place to do T2 production, it should require a player run structure.

The ideas I support would be good for everyone. To be the "best" you would only have to join a player run corp, but you would still be able to make craptons of ISK doing in an NPC station, as a member of an NPC corp.

Removing T2 production from NPC stations would be horrible.
Xavier Hasberin
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#509 - 2012-12-19 17:22:34 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

In many respects, it is. Loot's better in null. Minerals in null include some stuff that you can never never never mine in hisec, ever. And, of course, you get those shinies that you insist aren't worth it but your bosses eat up the majority of your production capability to build. Not to mention that YOU control access to all those goodies, and can keep everyone else out while you get 'em.

As a side note - It's boring in null? That's a quality of what you're doing there. Building an empire's fun - battles everywhere, guts and gore, fighting off the hordes at the gate. RUNNING an empire at peace - that's boring as all get out. Administrative details. Spreadsheets. Some poor schmuck has to go guard the gate every now and then, or patrol the road. Some others have got to make sure the rest are building stuff the way they should be. There is a reason politicians and bureaucrats are wired differently from 'normal' people, and why civs and soldiers get along like oil and water. Your alliances are too large and cover too much ground to fight anyone other than another alliance your size, and neither side wants to gamble it all away.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#510 - 2012-12-19 17:25:21 UTC
Weaselior wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:

You have written a tangential reply that does not negate mine.
Dinsdale Pirannha
Pirannha Corp
#511 - 2012-12-19 17:28:00 UTC
For all those in doubt about why this thread was created, and why the null sec propaganda team is in high gear:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1230077#post1230077
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#512 - 2012-12-19 17:28:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Vaerah Vahrokha
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Damn near everything in EVE is balanced around a few very simple ideas. The more risk you take, the more effort involved, and the more people needed to acheive soemthing, the more you are rewarded. Except for industry. Indusrialists are not rewarded for joining a corporatin and using palyer built structures, anyone saying otherwise are lying. If you're in a player run corp, using player built structures to do industry, you are penalized; that is a FACT.

I don't think EvE is balanced like that (not saying it's wrong or right).
I.e. hi sec PI done right can rival way more risky and time consuming operations including missioning.
T2 production too.
Edit: I just noticed I have made 622M today with 3 orders. I logged on once this morning, for 5 minutes. That's :reward vs effort: the EvE way.
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#513 - 2012-12-19 17:31:13 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
Buzzy Warstl wrote:
How is it not balanced?

Who's saying things need to be restricted?

And are you really saying that people won't build T1 items in high sec if the stations cost more to use, lines were reduced slightly, and max refine rate was reduced?

Because that would be silly.

If making the changes wouldn't change the behaviour, why make the changes?
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Can you build things significantly cheaper in a PoS?
Can you put the things your PoS builds on the market from your PoS?

Do you think there is some sort of "progression" expected as an industrialist. Like doing the next raid in another MMO, do you think that as an industrialist you're ultimately expected to end up building titans? EVE doesn't work that way for me.

It doesn't work that way for me, either, frankly EvE industry is disappointing compared to an ideal system, but it's still one of the best I've ever played.
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Fine, how about remove T2 production from NPC stations. In order to do any T2 and up production you have to do it in a player run structure.

Don't touch slots.

Quite honestly that's what it comes down to, T2 production. T2 production is the only the only form of "progression" for an industrialist. Cap production up is for those people that want to specialize in something that requires more teamwork to do. T2 production is what every single industrialist should be working towards doing.

And every single character that is not in an NPC corp, working from high sec NPC stations, is at a disadvantage when it comes to T2 production.

I do not care if it's cheaper to do it in high sec. I only care that it's cheapest to do it in an undeccable corporation, working out of a station that you can't lose access too. If high sec is the cheapest place to do T2 production, it should require a player run structure.

The ideas I support would be good for everyone. To be the "best" you would only have to join a player run corp, but you would still be able to make craptons of ISK doing in an NPC station, as a member of an NPC corp.

Actually, it's the first reasonable suggestion for nerfing highsec industry I've heard this entire thread.

Basic highsec assembly lines are cheap and plentiful, but they should only be able to handle common (T1) goods. To do T2 or better production you need specialized services that aren't available readily from the NPC corporations.

Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#514 - 2012-12-19 17:32:22 UTC
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I.e. hi sec PI done right can rival way more risky and time consuming operations including missioning.
T2 production too.

What you "think" is irrelevant, because CCP themselves have said exactly that.

More-over, itt's common sense.
Alavaria Fera
GoonWaffe
#515 - 2012-12-19 17:34:37 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

T2 production too.

EVE Online balancing :shobon:

Triggered by: Wars of Sovless Agression, Bending the Knee, Twisting the Knife, Eating Sov Wheaties, Bombless Bombers, Fizzlesov, Interceptor Fleets, Running Away, GhostTime Vuln, Renters, Bombs, Bubbles ?

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#516 - 2012-12-19 17:35:47 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I "think" as in "from looking at how you can earn income in practice".

Example:

I just noticed I have made 622M today with 3 orders. I logged on once this morning, for 5 minutes. That's :reward vs effort: the EvE way.

So, I'll leave you reading what CCP "says" and wondering why it's not true, while I'll do what *earns* and won't wonder why it's true.

Which of the two behaviors is more adaptive and "sandboxy"?
Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#517 - 2012-12-19 17:47:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Natsett Amuinn
Vaerah Vahrokha wrote:
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

I "think" as in "from looking at how you can earn income in practice".

Example:

I just noticed I have made 622M today with 3 orders. I logged on once this morning, for 5 minutes. That's :reward vs effort: the EvE way.

So, I'll leave you reading what CCP "says" and wondering why it's not true, while I'll do what *earns* and won't wonder why it's true.

"something isn't working, therefor it's intended"
Sorry, it doesn't work that way.
You do understand that they are going to nerf high sec industry, don't you?

Are you not paying attention to the things the devs write?

Edit: Also, they don't balance what you can make based on what you can make doing something else.
I do hope you're not just writting stuff for the sake of arguing.
Xavier Hasberin
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#518 - 2012-12-19 18:19:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Xavier Hasberin
Buzzy Warstl wrote:

Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Don't touch slots.

Actually, it's the first reasonable suggestion for nerfing highsec industry I've heard this entire thread.

Basic highsec assembly lines are cheap and plentiful, but they should only be able to handle common (T1) goods. To do T2 or better production you need specialized services that aren't available readily from the NPC corporations.

This is not a bad idea at all, and certainly better than the plethora of 'few slots and no ISK for hisec!' ideas that most of the null folks seem to pass off as original thought. Maybe meta level caps in the most secure areas.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#519 - 2012-12-19 18:25:32 UTC
Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Quote:

"something isn't working, therefor it's intended"

"Something isn't working therefore I adapt till it gets fixed".

Natsett Amuinn wrote:

You do understand that they are going to nerf high sec industry, don't you?

As non industrial guy, I am not going to lose sleep in the night over it.
Also, I tend to adapt instead of putting 9000000 guys hammering on a forum.

Natsett Amuinn wrote:

Are you not paying attention to the things the devs write?

Where? That outdated link posted above or something else?

I pay attention to what the devs do, actually. Writing is cheap and their plans tend to fizzle (see Dominion, FW "Forex", WiS...)
Natsett Amuinn
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#520 - 2012-12-19 18:26:13 UTC
I guess that's what I get for being a smart ass.

You guys do understand that that would mean you can only do T2 production while in a corp that can be wardecced, from a PoS in high sec, or in a station in a system where there is no CONCORD?

That sounds better to you than just reducing the refine rates in NPC stations, lowing the number of available lines in a station, and incresing line costs in NPC stations.

You think all of that would be harder for the NPC corp guy then losing the ability to produce T2 items?

I really am impressed.