These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Message to new players... from a new player

First post
Author
Tomahawk Falcon
Tribunal Corsairs
#1 - 2012-12-19 13:27:12 UTC
I have been playing Eve for about a week now. I visit this part of the forum quite regularly and often see threads with a title like "Please help I don't know what to do" so thought I would share some thoughts.

1. Eve is unlike pretty much any other MMPORG in that you won't find NPCs standing around with ! over their heads. You have to go out and make your own fun. Understand this and move on.

2. You need to play with a set of goals in mind and set a training plan based on these. What do you want to accomplish? Fight in a fleet? Which role do you want to fulfil? There is no point randomly training skills as you receive the books from the training missions - you need to be a bit more focused.

3. There are a raft of training missions available from the start and they will teach you some basics but its kinda like expecting your driving instructor to teach you how to drive like everyone else on the road. The real Eve world is a lot different and the best way to learn is...

4. ...to join a Corp. I joined one a few days ago and it makes things so much easier because experienced people can help you (and maybe provide cash and equipment too). Find a noob friendly one - there are loads advertising, and try to find one that suits your set of goals (see above).

5. The cost of stuff can be quite daunting. Find a way to make ISK and squirrel it away. Mining is boring but it will generate funds and you don't have to do it forever. Ask your Corp for help and if they don't want to then leave and find one that does.

Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.
Keno Skir
#2 - 2012-12-19 16:54:25 UTC
Ok i'll bite i guesse..

This post contains some good initial pointers. That said OP speaks like an ALT rather than an actual new player :/
ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#3 - 2012-12-19 17:09:16 UTC
Good stuff. Looks like you're well on your way. Welcome to Eve!

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Schmata Bastanold
In Boobiez We Trust
#4 - 2012-12-19 17:13:27 UTC
Alt or not alt - doesn't matter. In 5 minutes somebody will create a thread asking about things hinted in OP and in gazzillion other threads.

Newbies first skill to learn have to be searching for answers already given to questions already asked. But I guess it will never happen.

Invalid signature format

Acrel
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#5 - 2012-12-19 19:19:02 UTC
I definitely disagree with one of the sentiments in your final point. You basically say that you should leave any corp that's not willing to outright give you stuff. While I often give things to new players in my corp, it's not a good idea to go around expecting free giveaways just because you are new. Having a sense of entitlement in EVE will get you nowhere but disappointment. Just because someone doesn't want to give you his own hard-earned ISK does not mean that he is a bad person.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-12-19 20:05:26 UTC
Acrel wrote:
I definitely disagree with one of the sentiments in your final point. You basically say that you should leave any corp that's not willing to outright give you stuff. While I often give things to new players in my corp, it's not a good idea to go around expecting free giveaways just because you are new. Having a sense of entitlement in EVE will get you nowhere but disappointment. Just because someone doesn't want to give you his own hard-earned ISK does not mean that he is a bad person.

I think he just means.

Ask the corporation to help you get money (aka ask if someone is willing to take you in a fleet and run missions together, ask someone to go mine together and split the Ores/Minerals/ISK).

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Tomahawk Falcon
Tribunal Corsairs
#7 - 2012-12-19 21:58:32 UTC
Thanks for all the responses.

1. I am definitely not an alt, but have been dabbling with Eve for a few years and have finally managed to get hooked Big smile

2. I respect the contributor who said that you shouldn't expect something for nothing. Let me explain a bit more. A couple of days in I received a spam email from a Corp recruiting new members. I thought I would follow the advice of this forum and sign up to get some better experience but it was quickly clear that I was wasting my time - no one wanted to help me. The corp I am a member of now does want me to get better because it makes the Corp better and is willing to invest advice and cash in me.
J'Poll
Perkone
Caldari State
#8 - 2012-12-19 22:05:33 UTC
Tomahawk Falcon wrote:
Thanks for all the responses.

1. I am definitely not an alt, but have been dabbling with Eve for a few years and have finally managed to get hooked Big smile

2. I respect the contributor who said that you shouldn't expect something for nothing. Let me explain a bit more. A couple of days in I received a spam email from a Corp recruiting new members. I thought I would follow the advice of this forum and sign up to get some better experience but it was quickly clear that I was wasting my time - no one wanted to help me. The corp I am a member of now does want me to get better because it makes the Corp better and is willing to invest advice and cash in me.

On your 2nd point.

If you would have followed the advice given here about joining a corporation. You would also have seen that anybody that says that you should join a corp also says that you should do research on which corp to join and not just pick the first corp you spot.

The ones that mass spam new players with mails to join them are the worst. They are the ones that only want you in the corp so they can get rich of your taxes.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Capt Starfox
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#9 - 2012-12-19 22:19:19 UTC
Don't forget that you can die anywhere by anyone and no one will hear your screams!!! ..The void of space and all.

Abandon all hope ye who x up in fleet

Acrel
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#10 - 2012-12-19 22:59:13 UTC
Oh, okay. I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say the first time around, but I get it now. Thanks for the clarification.
Praxis Ginimic
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#11 - 2012-12-20 00:12:46 UTC
I would add another point. A lot of people say that the ships in eve are like tools an a box, each one has its purpose. Although I agree, I want to point out that many of them are more like ninja throwing stars. Once the sh!t hits the fan bury it into the other guy and forget it ever existed. Don't get attached to your stuff. These are disposable tools.
Musashi Date
#12 - 2012-12-20 04:03:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Musashi Date
Praxis Ginimic wrote:
..... Don't get attached to your stuff. These are disposable tools.

Adding to that: Bonus points for you if you add longevity to your tools tho, while successfully doing their tasks.