These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Warfare & Tactics

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Countering Titan Bridges - EVESP

First post
Author
Bad Messenger
Rehabilitation Clinic
#81 - 2012-12-17 11:57:07 UTC
You can use fast moving long range ships to counter almost anything. Do not get tackled is the most important thing.

So it does not matter if you do not have counter to actual bridging if you can avoid getting tackled.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#82 - 2012-12-17 17:49:02 UTC
Isn't the easy solution here to have the Titan jump along with his fleet? Let's do this Titan thing right.
Fon Revedhort
Monks of War
#83 - 2012-12-17 19:08:54 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
Isn't the easy solution here to have the Titan jump along with his fleet? Let's do this Titan thing right.

Yet again, it's one of the things required, but long-term balancing can not be limited to just that.

"Being supporters of free speech and free and open [CSM] elections... we removed Fon Revedhort from eligibility". CCP, April 2013.

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#84 - 2012-12-17 22:17:44 UTC
SAJUK NIGARRA wrote:
islador wrote:

YAY DND! Please tell me the counters then :) Bare in mind I am referring to the act of bridging itself, NOT to the bridged fleet.

1. Killing the bridged fleets detters future bridging .

Someone read the whole post...

Dread Operative wrote:
Goddamn you United States military! How dare you be better funded and have better equipment then everyone you fight! No more tanks, body armor, air support, or drones for you! Only AK47s and suicide vests from now on! Gotta make sure it's equal!

* Devils Advocate.

The US has to have its ships/airfields/planes out where they can be destroyed, even if it does take fancier equipment.
Titans can sit fully inside a POS, making them invulnerable, and bridge a 250 man fleet to any cyno on a T1 frigate within 20LY

That doesn't sound the LEAST bit OP on paper.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.

GenesisMike
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#85 - 2012-12-18 02:15:13 UTC
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
SAJUK NIGARRA wrote:
islador wrote:

YAY DND! Please tell me the counters then :) Bare in mind I am referring to the act of bridging itself, NOT to the bridged fleet.

Dread Operative wrote:
Goddamn you United States military! How dare you be better funded and have better equipment then everyone you fight! No more tanks, body armor, air support, or drones for you! Only AK47s and suicide vests from now on! Gotta make sure it's equal!

* Devils Advocate.

The US has to have its ships/airfields/planes out where they can be destroyed, even if it does take fancier equipment.
Titans can sit fully inside a POS, making them invulnerable, and bridge a 250 man fleet to any cyno on a T1 frigate within 20LY

.. an aircraft carrier sending off aircraft for combat while being surrounded by a support fleet essentially shielding and protecting it.. yea that is nothing like being in a POS.
Dread Operative
Main Corporation
Prisoners With Jobs
#86 - 2012-12-18 02:49:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Dread Operative
GenesisMike wrote:
M1k3y Koontz wrote:
SAJUK NIGARRA wrote:
islador wrote:

Dread Operative wrote:

* Devils Advocate.

.. an aircraft carrier sending off aircraft for combat while being surrounded by a support fleet essentially shielding and protecting it.. yea that is nothing like being in a POS.

Or a drone operator sitting in his AC'ed room, sipping on some OJ, and flying his drone remotely.

The titan is a means of transportation. It doesn't give any advantage when on the field.

Smart FC - Enemy Cyno Up. Align to sun.

*Local Spike - Check numbers

Smart FC - We can't take this. Warp warp warp.

* A couple ships get snagged like any other fleet roam and retreat.
Reppyk
The Black Shell
#87 - 2012-12-18 04:15:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Reppyk
Dread Operative wrote:
Smart FC - Enemy Cyno Up. Align to sun.
*Local Spike - Check numbers
Smart FC - We can't take this. Warp warp warp.
* A couple ships get snagged like any other fleet roam and retreat.
Exactly. Always the same thing.
That's why titan bridging needs to change.

On a side note, my fleet got hotdropped twice (or three times hum) yesterday.
We were followed by a very obvious pilgrim. We jumped a few gates to see if he was still following us (he was).
On a gate was a random maller. We jumped. While aligning out, the maller decided to attack our little 15-pilots gang.
I was flying my pr0-celestis-of-d00m and damped the sh*t out of him.
Then the pilgrim jumped, cloaked and immediatly uncloak and lit a cyno, blam blam here's a fleet ohhiguiz. He got damped too, unable to keep his points. We escaped with no loss. I have no idea if the maller was part of the trap, a bait-ship for another fleet or a little cruiser having suicidal tendencies.
Two systems later, the FW blobbers tried to bridge us (maybe from Ushra'Khan/so-called "antipirates", or the Fweddits, I don't remember) but we were sitting on a FW plex, so they had to open the cyno on a station and then to warp to us). We tried to hold our ground, but they were twice our side and we left 4 battlecruisers behind, three of them were on their first day as "pirates" and probably made mistakes (at least they learnt a lot that night).

The difference ? We got more than a few seconds to make a choice, even if in both cases, we had no chance to win the fight.

What's the lesson here ? Bridges aren't a "I win" magic button. They still need competent pilots. But they are far too powerful, allowing id--- bad players, as good players, to catch people easily, effortless and with very limited risks.

The local channel and the dscan are intel tools that help getting somewhat "fair fights" (as far as "fair" goes in EVE, right). When the odds are way off-scale, only a bridge will do the trick. We won't brawl on a cyno : maybe only half the fleet jumped and committing to the fight would be a complete slaughter. And because I don't like seeing Fon's nighthawks getting hotdropped, but it seems you stopped doing that a while ago :p

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Opera Noir
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2012-12-18 12:44:40 UTC
Since it has been brought up, the US war machine has an incredible logistics backbone, the reason they can deploy an aircraft carrier and fleet into the middle on the Indian ocean or wherever is entirely dependent on this fact. In other words their force projection is entirely an issue of good but complicated logistics (and a fortune of funding, but whatever).

I can't claim to know what the logistics involving titan bridges are but simply burning fuel to make the bridge safely in a POS really doesn't sound comparable. However since they nerfed doomsday devices Titans really should have some value to represent their enormous investment. It just seems to me it should be a little bit more interesting than what it currently is. OMGWTFPWN may be good times for the bridging force but can one really claim it is interesting or difficult to perform?
Tennessee Jack
Doomheim
#89 - 2012-12-19 13:26:54 UTC
This Kind of Reminds me of the whole logoff tactic, where someone would leave a bait ship, people would attack it, then 10 to 50 people would all logon at the same time, warp to 0, then blast the enemy...

.... I actually don't quite know the difference between that and the titan bridge.....

Hot drop's should not have been a tactic. Yes it is cool and spacelike... but the implication's are causing more grief than it is worth.

I wonder what would happen if they removed hot dropping from lowsec, and made it nullsec only... I'm sure there has been tons of "no supercaps in lowsec" arguments out there though.

It has to be modified, possibly removed. It was more fun to roam around than to wait in a POS for the guy to say "jump and own". I wonder who the real carebears are.

"haha we are in our POS shields with 50 guys, we have a group of 8 people and were following them!!!! We OwnZ!!!!"
"random guy in fleet: Hey why don't we just take 10 guys and warp over to them and brawl?!?!"
"fleet commander: What are you a Noob.. We Might LOSE something. We Lose Nothing, Wait in POS, Cry like a Baby, and DO what I say, We will own them cause We are AweSome, have five times their fleet, protected by our shield, and can jump them at will. Why the HECK would I bother running around in space, possibly running into a bubble, gatecamp, other pirates, other wartargets, other people.... This is safe, they can't do anything to us, and we bypass all the trouble of actually going after them. Now shutup!!!!"

"random guy in fleet: ..... but whats the point, this ain't PvP.."
"fleet commander: I SAID SHUT UP WE ARE SAFE NOBODY WILL BLOW US UP THEY CAN'T REACH US!?!?!"
"random guy in fleet: ... this sucks "leaves fleet"
"fleet commander: dork, Ok everybody else stay in the shield, I don't want to lose or risk any shinys".
"scout: Found them, group of 6"
"fleet commander: Light it, JUMP"
50 ships jump, Random skirmish happens, they blow up 2 ships"
"fleet commander: AHAH RUN COWARDS"
"fleet: HAHA RUN NOOBS, WE PVP Joo Gud!!!!"

................is that what actually happens?!?!?
Capitol One
Blue Canary
Watch This
#90 - 2012-12-19 23:28:11 UTC
Tennessee Jack wrote:
This Kind of Reminds me of the whole logoff tactic, where someone would leave a bait ship, people would attack it, then 10 to 50 people would all logon at the same time, warp to 0, then blast the enemy...

.... I actually don't quite know the difference between that and the titan bridge.....

Hot drop's should not have been a tactic. Yes it is cool and spacelike... but the implication's are causing more grief than it is worth.

I wonder what would happen if they removed hot dropping from lowsec, and made it nullsec only... I'm sure there has been tons of "no supercaps in lowsec" arguments out there though.

It has to be modified, possibly removed. It was more fun to roam around than to wait in a POS for the guy to say "jump and own". I wonder who the real carebears are.

"haha we are in our POS shields with 50 guys, we have a group of 8 people and were following them!!!! We OwnZ!!!!"
"random guy in fleet: Hey why don't we just take 10 guys and warp over to them and brawl?!?!"
"fleet commander: What are you a Noob.. We Might LOSE something. We Lose Nothing, Wait in POS, Cry like a Baby, and DO what I say, We will own them cause We are AweSome, have five times their fleet, protected by our shield, and can jump them at will. Why the HECK would I bother running around in space, possibly running into a bubble, gatecamp, other pirates, other wartargets, other people.... This is safe, they can't do anything to us, and we bypass all the trouble of actually going after them. Now shutup!!!!"

"fleet commander: I SAID SHUT UP WE ARE SAFE NOBODY WILL BLOW US UP THEY CAN'T REACH US!?!?!"
"fleet commander: dork, Ok everybody else stay in the shield, I don't want to lose or risk any shinys".

Nope, not at all.

Most "Hotdroppers" are actually hoping for a proper fleet to drop on, a fight that might go either way. At least that's what I hope for, it's the most thrill you get in eve in my opinion.

Tennessee Jack
Doomheim
#91 - 2012-12-20 21:25:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Tennessee Jack
Capitol One wrote:
Tennessee Jack wrote:

Nope, not at all.

Most "Hotdroppers" are actually hoping for a proper fleet to drop on, a fight that might go either way. At least that's what I hope for, it's the most thrill you get in eve in my opinion.

ok now that is based on the assumption that people want a fair fight. No One Wants a fair fights.. people want to WIN, blow the Enemy to Bits, and Not lose a thing. People like the concept of a fair fight, proper fleet battles, but people do not like it above Winning the fight.

You are in a minority.
Capitol One
Blue Canary
Watch This
#92 - 2012-12-20 23:27:11 UTC
Tennessee Jack wrote:

ok now that is based on the assumption that people want a fair fight. No One Wants a fair fights.. people want to WIN, blow the Enemy to Bits, and Not lose a thing. People like the concept of a fair fight, proper fleet battles, but people do not like it above Winning the fight.

You are in a minority.

Well in my humble opinion, you are going to see a lot more people shout "Oh man, that was awesome!" and generally enjoying an intense fight with multiple BS/Caps kills and losses on both sides, rather than some meaningless gank.

"Oh yay, we killed a nidhoggur, woop dee do" -.-

And in my experience, those epic fights usually happen when both sides drop in reinforcements/batphones via Titan bridge or simply by jumping in caps.

Sometimes those reinforcements are scouted beforehand, sometimes they are not, but in the end it comes down to the individual skill of the pilots and how the FC reacts under pressure rather than by the simple fact a Titan bridge was used.

You really must underestimate the average eve player if you say all they want is an easy gank. Easy ganks are a fine way to pass the time when bored, but we will always choose a hard and good fight over the gank.

Reppyk
The Black Shell
#93 - 2012-12-20 23:46:57 UTC
Capitol One wrote:
And in my experience, those epic fights usually happen when both sides drop in reinforcements/batphones via Titan bridge or simply by jumping in caps.
Sup. o/

Capitol One wrote:
Sometimes those reinforcements are scouted beforehand, sometimes they are not, but in the end it comes down to the individual skill of the pilots and how the FC reacts under pressure rather than by the simple fact a Titan bridge was used.
Because 00 sov fights, where everything is joining the field by using a titan bridge, are won due to the "individual skills of the pilots".

Too good to be true ! Lol

I AM SPACE CAPTAIN REPPYK. BEWARE.

Proud co-admin of frugu.net, a French fansite about EVE !

Crosi Wesdo
War and Order
#94 - 2012-12-21 00:31:44 UTC
Quick recap;

Thread started by a gate camper who is terrified because his eyes 3 jumps out in every direction cannot see an incoming titan bridge and may lose his ship when all he wanted to do was 5v1 the odd guy coming though his gate.

OP neglects to acknowledge that getting eyes on enemy titans and avoiding habits that are vulnerable to titan bridges when they are set up is an effective counter.

Not much else happened after that.
Capitol One
Blue Canary
Watch This
#95 - 2012-12-21 02:39:21 UTC
Reppyk wrote:
Capitol One wrote:
Sup. o/

Capitol One wrote:
Because 00 sov fights, where everything is joining the field by using a titan bridge, are won due to the "individual skills of the pilots".

Too good to be true ! Lol

I was referring to lowsec bridging, which I thought this discussion was about, unless I'm confusing this thread with another one.
psycho freak
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#96 - 2012-12-22 04:36:53 UTC
There are counters to bridgeing in losec

1, counter bridge
2, know your area ( intel and systems)
3, know your targets ( important toons / location of major assests/ main stageing area/ known cyno alt and scout alts )
4, expect the unexpected

you will get cought from time to time but if you pull your head out your @ss and do bit intel gathering youll learn when to mess with some ppl and when not to

changeing the game to suite the lazy is allways a good idea tho

my spelling sux brb find phone number for someone who gives a fu*k

nop cant find it

Emu Meo
Doomheim
#97 - 2012-12-22 07:36:06 UTC
This just sounds like someone crying because they are smaller and can't beat a larger force. There are plenty of ways of preventing or mitigating this kind of action, most of the suggestions you came up with are silly and impractical. Don;t you think if you bubble a titans bridge with a dictor then the hostile fleet will just kill you?

If you are a smaller force and you see a cyno then as you are smaller and more maneuvarable then use that to your advantage. The problem here is you are a small alliance but yet you are thinking of your tactics and warfare as if you were a large null sec alliance getting ready to compete in a head on clash. It's completely unrealistic to think about using dictors to prevent their fleet from jumping in when you have no kind of force to back that up.

So in essence as a low sec small alliance you need to change your mindset completely.
ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#98 - 2012-12-23 15:15:22 UTC
boohoo richer aliances have a titan and isk and i dont booohooooo....... i suggest u grind like those corps that have one have done ..... simplez P
ALUCARD 1208
Digital Ghosts
#99 - 2012-12-23 15:17:22 UTC
Crosi Wesdo wrote:
Quick recap;

Thread started by a gate camper who is terrified because his eyes 3 jumps out in every direction cannot see an incoming titan bridge and may lose his ship when all he wanted to do was 5v1 the odd guy coming though his gate.

OP neglects to acknowledge that getting eyes on enemy titans and avoiding habits that are vulnerable to titan bridges when they are set up is an effective counter.

Not much else happened after that.

seems OP is looking for fair fights in his post but then we find out hes a gate camper who just wants to gank 1/2 ppl jumping unsuspecting thru gates and wen someone drops him when hes not expecting it cries ....... ur tears are delicious Big smile
Anthar Thebess
#100 - 2013-01-03 13:35:18 UTC