These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Help with setup for bringing up my sec?

Author
Aerym
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-16 17:38:03 UTC  |  Edited by: Aerym
Coming back to the game after a very very long pause (played bit in '07, then bit more in '10)

I keep coming back to the game, but everytime I come and with the complexity of the game, I loose interest. this time perhaps trying to wing it, I figured I ask for some advice...

my current issue is my sec. I'm currently at -4.5 and was told I just need to kill rats to bring it down to -2 so I can at least go where I want to go.

that being said, I need to outfit a ship to kill some rats. now I have no idea what ship I can use. before I quit, my usual ships were dominix and myrm. I also flew thorax time to time.... perhaps just using an myrm will do?

Here are my skills (what!? no img tags allowed here?)

I'm linking to another forum where img tags are allowed, so you can see -_-

Aerym skills
Maelle LuzArdiden
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-12-16 17:56:54 UTC  |  Edited by: Maelle LuzArdiden
You need to get it down to -1.9 (rounded) if you want to go to 1.0 hisec systems.

Here is a decent guide:

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Repairing_security_status

And the catch:

Quote:
A security status gain occurs for the HIGHEST value outlaw NPC you kill within a 15 minute time period PER SYSTEM.

So for max gain, you'd be popping battleship rats in a cluster of systems. This means that a mobile, high-dps ship would be ideal. Since you have T2 Large Blasters, a shield Talos could rock:

[Talos, shield]

Tracking Enhancer II
Tracking Enhancer II
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
Warp Disruptor II

Neutron Blaster Cannon II, Null L

Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I

Warrior II x5

You seem to be missing Advanced Weapon Upgrades (you really need it!), but downgrade guns for more grid, and shields to meta 4 for your skills.

A similar Thorax might be a nice alternative:

[Thorax, Ganknam style]

Overdrive Injector System II
Damage Control II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Faint Epsilon Warp Scrambler I
Large Shield Extender II
Stasis Webifier II

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Hammerhead II x5

Both are viable and fun PVP fits, so you don't need to pass on combat opportunities. You can opt for a Nanofiber instead of the Overdrive for faster align, since you will mostly be warping around. Rats melt fast so tank is not an issue, and shield repairs automagically so it's better than armor for this... and for speed. Drones to taste!
Aerym
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2012-12-16 18:39:00 UTC
Thanks! I'm gonna check those out and I'll be back with any questions!

Maeltstome
Ten Thousand Days
#4 - 2012-12-16 18:56:03 UTC
I went from -10 to -1.5 in around 8-10 hours of grinding (total)

Get a talos, fit neutrons, use void (or faction AM), Use as many MFS and TE's as you can.

Next, join the pets of some big alliance who hold space, preferably guristas/serpentis space.

Find a long chain of system all with good 0.0 sec status (-0.7 to -1.0) and jump into the first system. Now system scan and find a forsaken rally point or something like that (it usually has 2 BS and 2x cruisers per spawn). Warp to it. Kill 1 BS. jump into the next system.

Rinse and repeat. Do this back and forward across 15ish jumps with a 15-20 minutes break at each end for sec to catch up or do it in a big circle so after the 15th jump you are back at jump 1.

Quickest way i've found so far.
Aerym
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-12-16 19:03:30 UTC
thorax you don't think will do the job? the talos is kind of expensive.
Shaemell Buttleson
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-12-16 19:29:50 UTC
Get a Stealth Bomber (preferably with the correct damage bonus for the NPC's)

Set Auto pilot through a load of null sec jumps.

Jump into null sec and fly and to a belt and kill the first BS size rat.

Jump to the next system and do the same.

Keep going until you have the sec you need.

It's surprising how fast you can repair it.

Aerym
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-12-16 20:53:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Aerym
setup my whole ship, went to go try to bring my numbers up... immediately got jumped and blown up. as cool as pvp is, sometimes, people just don't stand a chance in this game :(
Risien Drogonne
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-12-16 21:03:05 UTC
Aerym wrote:
setup my whole ship, went to go try to bring my numbers up... immediately got jumped and blown up. as cool as pvp is, sometimes, people just don't stand a chance in this game :(

Don't go out there in an NPC corp. You're everyone's enemy.
Aziesta
Quantshure
#9 - 2012-12-17 15:11:36 UTC
You could try Providence if you're having trouble finding somewhere to rat. There should be empty systems though.
Syrias Bizniz
some random local shitlords
#10 - 2012-12-17 15:17:03 UTC
[Vexor, Low Ratting]
Pseudoelectron Containment Field I
Drone Damage Amplifier II

Large Shield Extender II
Large Shield Extender II
10MN Afterburner II
Faint Warp Disruptor I

Modal Neutron Particle Accelerator I, Antimatter Charge M
Prototype Cloaking Device I

Warrior II x5
Hammerhead II x2
Hobgoblin II x1
Ogre II x2
Hornet EC-300 x5

currently flying this in 0.0, cloak saved me 2 times so far in lowsec gatecamps. Tears through serpentis battleships pretty fast.
Aptenodytes
Reckless Abandon
#11 - 2012-12-17 15:43:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Aptenodytes
There's quite a fast way to do it in empire space too. Maybe not as fast as in 0.0, but definitely a lot less risk.

1) Find an area with lots of level 4 agents close together, that you are allowed to fly in. For example there are 4 Caldari Navy agents within 3 jumps of Piak, and IIRC 3 of them are 0.5/0.6. If you're really blinky then you'll need to find some low sec obviously.
2) Fly to the first one, get a mission. Fly into the mission, kill scrambling frigs and just 1 BS. You don't need an expensive ship that can do the mission efficiently, just something that can gank a BS and run, like a tier 3 BC. Wait 15 minutes (or if you're organized fly to the next agent and combine your wait times).
3) Check your sec status gain for killing that 1 BS. If it's not much then blitz the mission (or abort it if you don't care about standings), get a new one, and repeat. When you get a mission that gives good sec increase, don't complete it, but move on to the next agent.
4) Repeat for all the agents, skipping/blitzing any missions that are in the same systems as the others.
5) So by now you have 4 missions that all generate good sec ticks, in different systems. Fly in between them in a loop, killing 1 BS and any tacklers in each, but do not trigger the mission completion.
6) Repeat until downtime, then the missions will respawn.

In my experience some missions give good sec increases and some don't. It seems quite random, even the same mission can sometimes be good or bad. So there's not much point finding or asking for a list of which missions are good or bad; just try them until you find good ones.

Using this method I got from -3.5 to -1.9 in a couple of hours play per night, for just a couple of days. Max gains would be 4 ticks per 15 minutes, at 0.20% per tick that makes about 0.5 sec gain per hour - not too shabby. Be aware though, you won't make much ISK.