These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Soundscapes and escaping the sound: why I turn sound off in EVE

Author
Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#1 - 2012-12-15 09:50:25 UTC  |  Edited by: Iam Widdershins
TL;DR: ambient station noises

When I'm flying in space and going about doing things, hearing noises is fine and can give a little added value and awareness to what's going on. However, when I'm docked in a station doing literally nothing -- I'm not necessarily interacting with anyone, there's nothing going on that can adversely affect me, and I'm possibly tabbed out watching a video or browsing something else -- there is still sound.

Ambient station noises, completely meaningless and conveying no information, might be nice as an immersive thing, and sure they aren't too loud and will eventually attenuate over time... but when you have two or three EVE windows open, all sitting in a station while you are spreading some sheets or getting things ready or just chilling, it adds up pretty quick to annoyingly audible background noise that no self-respecting veteran actually wants to listen to. And there's no way to turn it off.

I'm perfectly fine with hearing sounds in EVE: I think it's quite tasteful now, but I just had someone comment on how cool the sounds are in the map and I realized: I haven't actually heard that yet. Because I turned sound on for a bit, then turned it off again shortly after because I was annoyed by station ambiance. The only way to make the EVE client totally silent with no ambient noise is to cloak up in a safespot and zoom out to 1000km... and that's not something I should have to do every time I want to watch a quiet video.

CCP, you've done some great things with the UI and the game's soundscape: will you please consider adding a checkbox to remove station ambiance? Or better yet, a dropdown selector that has three options: 1. Default, 2. No station ambiance, and 3. No ambiance anywhere, sound effects only: no gate ambiance, no gibbering NPC radios, just guns, stargate flashes, beeps etc., and Aura's voice. (The warping noise is fine.) Were you to add this, I would love you long time.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Oberine Noriepa
#2 - 2012-12-15 10:55:11 UTC
Decreasing the value on the world volume slider solves this issue for the most part. Perhaps sound options should be given more granularity in general?

Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#3 - 2012-12-15 10:59:43 UTC
Oberine Noriepa wrote:
Decreasing the value on the world volume slider solves this issue for the most part. Perhaps sound options should be given more granularity in general?

The problem with the "world volume" slider is that it also decreases the volume of the things that are actually nice and even useful to hear, like weapon noises and people's pods being spit out into space. If it was split into "world sounds" and "ambient sounds" then that would solve my issue pretty well, but I still think disabling only station ambiance would be good since I can be subtly reminded through ambiance that I'm actually undocked and therefore liable to suddenly die, if I so wish.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#4 - 2012-12-16 02:32:56 UTC
Bump

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Alkaza Minin
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-12-16 09:00:30 UTC
Cant you go to the sound settings and turn the sound off by unchecking the "enable sound" check box?

WoW holds your hand until end game, and gives you a cookie whether you win or lose. EVE not only takes your cookie, but laughs at you for bringing one in the first place...

Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#6 - 2012-12-16 10:23:18 UTC
Alkaza Minin wrote:
Cant you go to the sound settings and turn the sound off by unchecking the "enable sound" check box?

Good lord you are dense.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Nevyn Auscent
Broke Sauce
#7 - 2012-12-16 11:13:24 UTC
Iam Widdershins wrote:
Alkaza Minin wrote:
Cant you go to the sound settings and turn the sound off by unchecking the "enable sound" check box?

Good lord you are dense.

So a quiet movie takes an hour or two, and his proposed solution takes.... 10 seconds extra on that hour or two, and he's dense?
You have already said you are just sitting in station doing nothing during this time.
Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#8 - 2012-12-16 19:30:29 UTC
I'm proposing a feature. Ambient station sounds aren't ONLY audible when you're watching a movie: they're audible ALL THE TIME. And I NEVER want to hear them. The same goes for plenty of people.

You and your ilk are apparently suggesting that I turn ALL sound off, and then on again, any time I dock or undock any of my characters... which is preposterous. Alkaza clearly did not read what I wrote, suggesting such a thing; apparently neither did you.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#9 - 2012-12-23 22:51:53 UTC
Bump.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Xavier Thorm
Dreddit
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#10 - 2012-12-24 16:14:12 UTC
Iam Widdershins wrote:
I'm proposing a feature. Ambient station sounds aren't ONLY audible when you're watching a movie: they're audible ALL THE TIME. And I NEVER want to hear them. The same goes for plenty of people.

You and your ilk are apparently suggesting that I turn ALL sound off, and then on again, any time I dock or undock any of my characters... which is preposterous. Alkaza clearly did not read what I wrote, suggesting such a thing; apparently neither did you.


Actually, I think the people suggesting that you turn your sound off when you don't want to hear it just prefer that YOU do something to solve a problem YOU have with the game, instead of expecting the game to change for you. Seriously, how lazy are you? I'd like to think you're just a troll, but it's hard to have that much faith.
Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#11 - 2012-12-24 17:08:35 UTC
Xavier Thorm wrote:
Iam Widdershins wrote:
I'm proposing a feature. Ambient station sounds aren't ONLY audible when you're watching a movie: they're audible ALL THE TIME. And I NEVER want to hear them. The same goes for plenty of people.

You and your ilk are apparently suggesting that I turn ALL sound off, and then on again, any time I dock or undock any of my characters... which is preposterous. Alkaza clearly did not read what I wrote, suggesting such a thing; apparently neither did you.


Actually, I think the people suggesting that you turn your sound off when you don't want to hear it just prefer that YOU do something to solve a problem YOU have with the game, instead of expecting the game to change for you. Seriously, how lazy are you? I'd like to think you're just a troll, but it's hard to have that much faith.

You do realize this is where you're supposed to go when you have an idea of how the game can be improved, right?

And you call me a troll.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Chijvz
Wildly Inappropriate
Goonswarm Federation
#12 - 2013-03-13 14:16:10 UTC
"And there's no way to turn it off"

For the love of god THIS!

I personally need to hear gate and hole flashes 100% of the time and fiddling with the sound settings every time I dock and undock is frustrating. The sound options need more options, and a way to turn off any unneeded noise (like the station background mumbling or whatever it is) that doesn't serve any purpose. Gun sounds etc are fun and nice, but I think there really should be a checkbox for every sound there is for toggling it off/on.

CCP pls!
Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#13 - 2013-05-02 21:12:56 UTC
Bumping this again.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature

Danika Princip
GoonWaffe
Goonswarm Federation
#14 - 2013-05-02 22:01:45 UTC
Supported. There are plenty of things covered by the world volume slider that are actually useful, station noise is not one of them.



Also, since we're on sound suggestions, cyno noise anyone?
Ruze
Next Stage Initiative
#15 - 2013-05-03 00:06:09 UTC
I'm running a test on trying to play with as much immersion as possible. No windows, no music, world sound, etc. I will say and agree that in-hangar sounds are problematic and loud, considering the lack of anything going on. As the client sits idle, I believe background noises that aren't related to world events should become more muted.

Don't even ask about sitting at the login screen with multiple clients. That'll kill your ears.

On the other hand, I like sounds when I play games, and the fact that there aren't any real noticable engine noises, and no audio queues when others warp near you or move near you ... that bugs me. I think having specific sounds for another ship slowing down as it exits warp, nothing too obvious, would really add to the immersive aspects of the game. Or telling a cloak is near by the noises your camera drone mimicks whereas otherwise your visual sensors picks up nothing.

If you're driven to threaten others with harm or violence because of what they do in game, you can't separate fantasy from reality. That "griefer/thief" is probably more sane than you are. How screwed up is that?

Iam Widdershins
Victory or Whatever
#16 - 2013-05-03 12:48:55 UTC
Ruze wrote:
I'm running a test on trying to play with as much immersion as possible. No windows, no music, world sound, etc. I will say and agree that in-hangar sounds are problematic and loud, considering the lack of anything going on. As the client sits idle, I believe background noises that aren't related to world events should become more muted.

Don't even ask about sitting at the login screen with multiple clients. That'll kill your ears.

On the other hand, I like sounds when I play games, and the fact that there aren't any real noticable engine noises, and no audio queues when others warp near you or move near you ... that bugs me. I think having specific sounds for another ship slowing down as it exits warp, nothing too obvious, would really add to the immersive aspects of the game. Or telling a cloak is near by the noises your camera drone mimicks whereas otherwise your visual sensors picks up nothing.

Station ambiance does attenuate over time, over something like a 3-5 minute period. However, it doesn't attenuate by enough, and it certainly doesn't go away entirely. Even if they were to finally fix it so that it would entirely disappear after a certain amount of time I would be perfectly fine with it, but after a few successive changes they made to make it attenuate further they haven't made any more progress.

Lobbying for your right to delete your signature