These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev blog: Fanfest 2013: EVE Online 10th Anniversary Edition

First post First post
Author
Marlakh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#81 - 2012-12-13 15:55:05 UTC  |  Edited by: Marlakh
Hi, my wife and I shall be attending this Fanfest from Singapore. I very much look forward to meeting everyone at the 10th year anniversary of the game I've been playing for 7 years come end of this year!

I'm undecided on whether to book the CenterHotel Arnarhvoll or the Hilton Nordica. The Hilton appears to be a higher quality hotel but its further from Harpa, while the Arnarhvoll is nearer but I guess its smaller (but cosier) that the Hilton.

Does anyone have an opinion on these hotels in terms of comfort, amenities, location and ease of travelling to Harpa? Their cost appears to be pretty similar (after comparing the hotel + air ticket offer from Icelandair, vs the cheaper CenterHotel with 1 extra day offer, but we need to buy air tickets separately). The Hilton is on offer from Icelanair, and the Arnarhvoll is offered by CCP's deal with CenterHotels

Thanks in advance!
mkint
#82 - 2012-12-13 16:12:21 UTC
CCP Tyr wrote:
mkint wrote:
CCP Tyr wrote:
mkint wrote:
My question, I'm sure will sound like a troll, but I'm 100% serious.

What are the marina facilities like at Harpa for the people (person? me?) who prefer to arrive by boat?

Not sure if serious...

Also not sure if you mean by arriving to Iceland by boat in general because no boat arrives at Harpa. They all arrive on other harbors. But Harpa does have a harbor I believe so if you want to make a scene and rent a boat and arrive on it then anything is possible if you have the cash.

If so, let us know and we might do something CCP only does Big smile

Cheers,
CCP Tyr

I'm in the process of buying a sailboat, and sailing to fanfest is totally reasonable for me. I saw on google maps that harpa has a dock but I couldn't find any info on their website for usage. If I can swing free docking for the event, that would be awesome, but if I have to anchor out, or stay at another marina, that would be okay too.

Talk to Faxaflóahafnir aka Associated Icelandic Ports

http://faxafloahafnir.is/faxafloahafnir/en/

Hmm, looking at their pricing, it's not bad. €60 per week. I've seen some in the Caribbean that would charge that and more for a single day. I really hope my boat purchase goes through. I'll buy you a beer.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#83 - 2012-12-13 17:00:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Terrorfrodo
If you come to Fanfest, in the middle of the North Atlantic, riding a genuine spacesailboat, CCP ought to buy you a beer Big smile

Apparently there is a single Airline that flies directly from my city to Reykjavik. The bad part is: Either I'd arrive on the 25th in the evening, or I'd have to depart on the 28th (sunday) very early in the morning. Considering that the party is on Saturday, the latter is out of the question *g* Anyone know what I'll be missing if I arrive on Thursday at ~1800? (The info page says that the Fanfest will open at 1000 that day.)

Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#84 - 2012-12-14 07:09:06 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:
Apparently there is a single Airline that flies directly from my city to Reykjavik. The bad part is: Either I'd arrive on the 25th in the evening, or I'd have to depart on the 28th (sunday) very early in the morning. Considering that the party is on Saturday, the latter is out of the question *g* Anyone know what I'll be missing if I arrive on Thursday at ~1800? (The info page says that the Fanfest will open at 1000 that day.)

Simple: You'd be missing an entire day of Fanfest. Which is a lot.
I'd rather recommend that you make through the night and try to appear somewhat sober when going through check-in Sunday morning ;)

Marlakh wrote:

I don't know the hotels you listed, but as for ease of travelling to Harpa, anything within 2km is reasonable by foot in Reykjavik. With the shopping street nearby & along the way, there's some stuff to look at while commuting :)

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

Torales
Kenter Production Inc.
#85 - 2012-12-14 10:16:22 UTC
Sadly the Plaza is already full booked and the other Hotels are not responding to Emails OopsRoll .
I wanted a offer from them because we plan to stay for 9 nights in a deluxe Room. If my math is correct that would be 770 Euros.
But i can not find any information if this is per room or per guest.

Anyone at CCP. Can you help me out here please and clarify the room rates. Are they per room or per guest ?

Since they are non modifiable i really want this to be clear before booking. But since the Hotels are not answering any Emails i hope CCP can help out here ? What?QuestionUgh
Tetsel
House Amamake
#86 - 2012-12-14 11:24:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Tetsel
Torales wrote:
Sadly the Plaza is already full booked and the other Hotels are not responding to Emails OopsRoll .

You should call them directly, organising trip to fanfest since years I can tell that Icelandic hotels are bad with handling email at a point they should be ashamed ! I'm still waiting some answer to emails sent 2 years ago ^^

Loyal servent to Mother Amamake. @EVE_Tetsel

Another Bittervet Please Ignore

Torales
Kenter Production Inc.
#87 - 2012-12-14 12:09:52 UTC
Tetsel wrote:
Torales wrote:

You should call them directly, organising trip to fanfest since years I can tell that Icelandic hotels are bad with handling email at a point they should be ashamed ! I'm still waiting some answer to emails sent 2 years ago ^^

I can confirm that. I got a reply now. But only that the Plaza is already booked full. I was asking for a price confirmation for the Thingholt OopsUghUghUgh.
I still hope that CCP can help us here because Center Hotels seems to be to unorganized for it Shocked
Psihius
Perkone
Caldari State
#88 - 2012-12-14 13:00:08 UTC
CCP!

You should add a Fanfest forum section, so people can post relevant information there. Would help a lot, especially in managing the meetups :)
Asthariye
Angry Mustellid
#89 - 2012-12-14 14:00:06 UTC
Torales wrote:
Tetsel wrote:
Torales wrote:

I can confirm that. I got a reply now. But only that the Plaza is already booked full. I was asking for a price confirmation for the Thingholt OopsUghUghUgh.
I still hope that CCP can help us here because Center Hotels seems to be to unorganized for it Shocked

Do try caling them, I phoned them about my booking yesterday and they were very helpful. I'm not sure if their mail server is awful or mine (or both), when I phoned yesterday at 15.40 the lady I spoke to said 'ah, yes, I just emailed you' - I didn't have the email; it turned up today at noon with a timestamp of 15.10 yesterday.

Am fretting a little because they said they've reserved my room and I'd get a final confirmation when they processed the payment this morning and I don't have it yet, but I guess that too is probably stuck in mail server limbo....
Liu Ellens
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#90 - 2012-12-14 15:59:14 UTC
Psihius wrote:
You should add a Fanfest forum section, so people can post relevant information there. Would help a lot, especially in managing the meetups :)

So far, this is what the Events & Gatherings forum has been used for... It is, after all, an event with some gathering P

Asthariye wrote:
Am fretting a little because they said they've reserved my room and I'd get a final confirmation when they processed the payment this morning and I don't have it yet, but I guess that too is probably stuck in mail server limbo....

You could raise the ante - as soon as they call/email you about your payment, you say 'ah, yes, I just paid you' (* without actually having done that) Twisted

Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there for shure.

MagnusBraxx
The Northerners
Pandemic Horde
#91 - 2012-12-15 11:45:51 UTC
Harpa is a horrible place for fanfest. Bring it back to Laugardalshöll. Harpa is too fancy , Laugardalshöll is much better.
Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#92 - 2012-12-15 21:01:37 UTC
I haven't felt this excited about something since Christmas eve when I was a young child, and there's only 4 months to go! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Celgar Thurn
Department 10
#93 - 2012-12-16 11:37:52 UTC
I will be going to Fanfest this year - my first one and first time on a plane. Big smile . I booked via one of the Icelandair packages as it seemed easier and maybe cheaper. Really looking forward to it. The Icelandic folklore such as the Yule Cat etc sounds very interesting as well. Smile

*Note for those booking online for an Icelandair package who don't own a mobile phone:
In the booking process one of the mandatory fields to type information into requires your/a mobile phone number. As I don't own a mobile phone I emailed them to ask about this as it was preventing me making a booking. They sent a reply and said to type in a 'fictitious' number instead in that field. So I did that and it seems to have worked. Smile Seems a little silly having a mandatory fiield for mobile phone when landline and email details should be enough methinks.
Grimpak
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#94 - 2012-12-17 23:16:47 UTC
hey can I go there for free since I've been playing EVE for over 9 years already?LolP

[img]http://eve-files.com/sig/grimpak[/img]

[quote]The more I know about humans, the more I love animals.[/quote] ain't that right

Magnus Marran
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#95 - 2012-12-24 16:11:34 UTC
Is there a way I can transfer a fanfest ticket to another player or how does that work?
jason hill
Red vs Blue Flight Academy
#96 - 2012-12-24 16:12:03 UTC
Grimpak wrote:
hey can I go there for free since I've been playing EVE for over 9 years already?LolP

nope cos your a noob !Big smile
Cearul
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#97 - 2013-01-04 16:24:38 UTC
I guess the Eve fan music festival idea never took off...bummer. I was looking forward to performing live.

**Support Eve Music - ** https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1616577#post1616577

How to Stay Aligned - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k86kx8rR5I

Marlakh
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2013-01-09 06:33:22 UTC
So I've booked the Hilton Nordica, it is a bit more pricey but appears to be a good hotel (one of the best in Reykjavik from what I've read). But I'm wondering if there's a shuttle or bus service from the hotel to Harpa, and what are is the schedule and location of the stop nearest to the hotel and the fanfest venue

If anyone can help me, that'd be great. Thanks in advance!
Hazen Koraka
HK Enterprises
#99 - 2013-01-24 08:38:43 UTC
Are the Hotel's really fully booked more than 1 year in advance?

Exploration is Random. Random is Random... or is it?! http://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html

Hazen Koraka
HK Enterprises
#100 - 2013-01-24 19:51:56 UTC
Derp, I'm such a dummy. I thought Fanfest was for April 2014.... duuhhh no wonder it's all fully booked Roll

Exploration is Random. Random is Random... or is it?! http://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html