These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Dev blog: If you are reading this and NOT a CCP Dev...

First post First post
Author
Vincent Athena
Photosynth
Just let it happen
#81 - 2012-12-13 19:28:27 UTC  |  Edited by: Vincent Athena
jwingenderowns wrote:
Firstly, thank you for the gifts and another great year.

Secondly, WHY THE **** did you have to get rid of the old snowball launchersQuestionAttention You alluded that the answer would be in the dev blog, but then nothing. No technical or logistical reasons for ruining a perfectly good collectors item that some people have had for years. WHY were you not able to release this new festival launcher as a *GASP* new item - leaving our old launcher alone - is beyond me. If you messed up(and fixed!) the Ishukone Special Edition Shirt then you can fix this too...

Nothing like having something stolen from you for Christmas.

They did explain it. The snowball launcher was never released as a collectors item. Each year it was gifted it was compatible with all previous releases of the item, all snowball launchers would launch all snowballs. They decided that consistency with previous gifts was more important than catering to collectors that were collecting an item that was never intended to be a collectors item.

The number of eve players that have snowball launchers are far greater than the number who collect them, so they they made the decision that benefited the majority. Because of what CCP did, I and many others will have multiple festival launchers for launching multiple fireworks at once.

Edit: CCP, there is actually a middle ground you could have done. Change all the in-game snowball launchers to have the same stats as the new festival launchers, but leave their name as "snowball launchers". That way people with old units can have multiple launchers, but collectors will still have a uniquely named item.

Know a Frozen fan? Check this out

Frozen fanfiction

Celebris Nexterra
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#82 - 2012-12-13 19:30:00 UTC
I'M THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN BUT NOTHING IS HAPPENING!


In all seriousness, you guys are the greatest gaming company on the face of the planet, in terms of the connection you have with the culture and community we've all created. I was just reading this blog with this :D plastered on my face the whole time, giggling like a school girl. I also want to use the word "glee," but I think I have conveyed my point.

Thank you CCP, for all you've done. Even the bad stuff :D
EVE FOREVER!
Synthmilk
The United Peoples of Synth
#83 - 2012-12-13 19:50:08 UTC
Lucius Varus wrote:
TBH im disappointed in ccp so called festive gifts for the amount of time and effort ( not to say costs i.e subs) i think they could have dont alot better in the reward stakes, i know i'll be in the minority in this but hay im still here after 6 1/2 years, but next year ccp do better than snowballs and fire works,it may impress the plebs but not this pilot.


Yea....well us "plebs" actually read the Dev Blog and saw that there are more gifts than just snowballs and fireworks Roll


Thank you CCP!
iskflakes
#84 - 2012-12-13 19:55:45 UTC
Vincent Athena wrote:
jwingenderowns wrote:
Firstly, thank you for the gifts and another great year.

Secondly, WHY THE **** did you have to get rid of the old snowball launchersQuestionAttention You alluded that the answer would be in the dev blog, but then nothing. No technical or logistical reasons for ruining a perfectly good collectors item that some people have had for years. WHY were you not able to release this new festival launcher as a *GASP* new item - leaving our old launcher alone - is beyond me. If you messed up(and fixed!) the Ishukone Special Edition Shirt then you can fix this too...

Nothing like having something stolen from you for Christmas.

They did explain it. The snowball launcher was never released as a collectors item. Each year it was gifted it was compatible with all previous releases of the item, all snowball launchers would launch all snowballs. They decided that consistency with previous gifts was more important than catering to collectors that were collecting an item that was never intended to be a collectors item.

The number of eve players that have snowball launchers are far greater than the number who collect them, so they they made the decision that benefited the majority. Because of what CCP did, I and many others will have multiple festival launchers for launching multiple fireworks at once.

Edit: CCP, there is actually a middle ground you could have done. Change all the in-game snowball launchers to have the same stats as the new festival launchers, but leave their name as "snowball launchers". That way people with old units can have multiple launchers, but collectors will still have a uniquely named item.


I would like to point out that the festival launchers are in the "Special Edition Assets" section of the market.

How are we supposed to interpret the meaning of this market group, if its contents are not actually special edition?

-

Silath Slyver Silverpine
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2012-12-13 20:05:13 UTC
Still a little mad at you guys (CCP), but this is pretty cool and I hope that everyone is able to appreciate the spirit of fun, put aside differences for a while, and just enjoy it!
Lucius Varus
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2012-12-13 20:09:41 UTC
Synthmilk wrote:
Lucius Varus wrote:
TBH im disappointed in ccp so called festive gifts for the amount of time and effort ( not to say costs i.e subs) i think they could have dont alot better in the reward stakes, i know i'll be in the minority in this but hay im still here after 6 1/2 years, but next year ccp do better than snowballs and fire works,it may impress the plebs but not this pilot.


Yea....well us "plebs" actually read the Dev Blog and saw that there are more gifts than just snowballs and fireworks Roll


Thank you CCP!



Well i wont hold my breath for the mystery gift if you dont mind
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#87 - 2012-12-13 20:12:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
iskflakes wrote:
Vincent Athena wrote:
jwingenderowns wrote:
Firstly, thank you for the gifts and another great year.

Secondly, WHY THE **** did you have to get rid of the old snowball launchersQuestionAttention You alluded that the answer would be in the dev blog, but then nothing. No technical or logistical reasons for ruining a perfectly good collectors item that some people have had for years. WHY were you not able to release this new festival launcher as a *GASP* new item - leaving our old launcher alone - is beyond me. If you messed up(and fixed!) the Ishukone Special Edition Shirt then you can fix this too...

Nothing like having something stolen from you for Christmas.

They did explain it. The snowball launcher was never released as a collectors item. Each year it was gifted it was compatible with all previous releases of the item, all snowball launchers would launch all snowballs. They decided that consistency with previous gifts was more important than catering to collectors that were collecting an item that was never intended to be a collectors item.

The number of eve players that have snowball launchers are far greater than the number who collect them, so they they made the decision that benefited the majority. Because of what CCP did, I and many others will have multiple festival launchers for launching multiple fireworks at once.

Edit: CCP, there is actually a middle ground you could have done. Change all the in-game snowball launchers to have the same stats as the new festival launchers, but leave their name as "snowball launchers". That way people with old units can have multiple launchers, but collectors will still have a uniquely named item.


I would like to point out that the festival launchers are in the "Special Edition Assets" section of the market.

How are we supposed to interpret the meaning of this market group, if its contents are not actually special edition?

Special Edition in no way, shape, or form has ever meant the same thing as "Limited Edition".

Ford could make a Special Edition Mustang (say with a swanky new grille and paint job) and sell as many as they want.
If Ford made a Limited Edition Mustang they would need to state how many would be made and sold, and stick to it.

Edit: Not trying to bust your chops Isky, its a very common mistake I have made myself in the past.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

iskflakes
#88 - 2012-12-13 20:18:51 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

Special Edition in no way, shape, or form has ever meant the same thing as "Limited Edition".

Ford could make a Special Edition Mustange (say with a swanky new grille and paint job) and sell as many as they want.
If Ford made a Limited Edition Mustange they would need to state how many would be made and sold, and stick to it.


This issue came up with the Ishukone Special Edition shirt that CCP had advertised as a unique item and used in a PLEX promotion (I believe it cost 13 PLEX), then later CCP accidentally put them in the NEX store for 300 AUR (virtually free). It was made VERY clear by the devs involved that the Special Edition shirt was supposed to be unique, and so they reimbursed everybody involved.

-

Niko Lorenzio
United Eve Directorate
#89 - 2012-12-13 20:30:47 UTC
LOL CCP FoxFour! Best blog ever, made me laugh.
Really loving the gifts! It's like Christmas morning in my childhood again. Well.. more like New Years morning. There was no Christmas in USSR :)
Thank you CCP and FoxFour

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#90 - 2012-12-13 20:43:35 UTC
iskflakes wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

Special Edition in no way, shape, or form has ever meant the same thing as "Limited Edition".

Ford could make a Special Edition Mustange (say with a swanky new grille and paint job) and sell as many as they want.
If Ford made a Limited Edition Mustange they would need to state how many would be made and sold, and stick to it.


This issue came up with the Ishukone Special Edition shirt that CCP had advertised as a unique item and used in a PLEX promotion (I believe it cost 13 PLEX), then later CCP accidentally put them in the NEX store for 300 AUR (virtually free). It was made VERY clear by the devs involved that the Special Edition shirt was supposed to be unique, and so they reimbursed everybody involved.

I am well aware of the incident, note that the descriptive text explained that the Special Edition was only going to be available thru a "Limited" time offer.

You CAN have a Special Edition that is ALSO a Limited Edition (as is the situation in that particular case), but that is often not the case. Unless an item or offer specifically states in its verbage that it is a unique run only available for a "Limited" amount of time or "Liimited" to a specific number ever being available assume that it is not.

Again, Special Edition does not automatically mean limited run.
Limited Edition (or text explaining that it is a "limited" run of some sort) does.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

fukier
Brave Collective
#91 - 2012-12-13 21:20:38 UTC
CCP Fozzie wrote:
JamesCLK wrote:
Can we wear the Boots.ini? Blink


Yes Smile



it would be sick if every now and then while wearing them in CQ you would crash to the floor...
At the end of the game both the pawn and the Queen go in the same box.
jwingenderowns
Tar Valon Research and Development
#92 - 2012-12-13 21:38:10 UTC  |  Edited by: jwingenderowns
If you wanted multiple Festival Launchers then there is a thing called the Market. A small sum of isk can accomplish your goal.

The old Snowball Launchers should have been left as-is for icon and stats, then renamed Snowball Launcher CX for consistency. End of story.

Except this is CCP who always do something mostly right, but partly wrong.

P.S. On second thought. Even if CCP were to keep with what they did, they could have at least named the snowball launchers as Festival Launcher CX with new stats and icon ofc, and then the new ones as Festival Launcher CXIV. The snowballs themselves are labeled as such and CCP have also set this precedent with the in-game Fanfest t-shirts. Having YC113 added to the blue-writing Quafe t-shirt from '11 Fanfest is on my list of "Thing to get done".
Che Biko
Alexylva Paradox
#93 - 2012-12-13 22:04:02 UTC
Claire Raynor wrote:
What's Boots.ini - is this something to get new Shoes?!!!!1 How do I do it :) Tell meeeee
A few years ago, CCP messed up the patch by telling it to delete/replace the wrong boot.ini file, causing a lot of customers to be unable to start up their computers.

I assume that boots.ini is some kind of joke relating to that incident. [joke]But for all I know, [TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK] if you change the filename of boot.ini into boots.ini [TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK], you'll get boots... .ini.[/joke]TwistedBlink

Disclaimer: I have taken every precaution reasonably possible to make clear this is a joke, I am not responsible for any damage or inconvenience caused by this post.

Happy holidays, everyone.
jwingenderowns
Tar Valon Research and Development
#94 - 2012-12-13 22:14:22 UTC
Che Biko wrote:
Claire Raynor wrote:
What's Boots.ini - is this something to get new Shoes?!!!!1 How do I do it :) Tell meeeee
A few years ago, CCP messed up the patch by telling it to delete/replace the wrong boot.ini file, causing a lot of customers to be unable to start up their computers.

I assume that boots.ini is some kind of joke relating to that incident. [joke]But for all I know, [TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK] if you change the filename of boot.ini into boots.ini [TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK], you'll get boots... .ini.[/joke]TwistedBlink

Disclaimer: I have taken every precaution reasonably possible to make clear this is a joke, I am not responsible for any damage or inconvenience caused by this post.

Happy holidays, everyone.


Roflmao. I bet you get at least one.
DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#95 - 2012-12-14 00:15:05 UTC
Shocked

This is excellent news. New Eden Happy Holidays are here again.

Thank you very very much.

300 snowballs is definitely a lot better than none even though we all would have liked more. *Hint Hint*

Anyway, thanks again for the presents. I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

DMC

Cool
Lirinas
B.C.C.O.F Investments
#96 - 2012-12-14 00:28:57 UTC
It's good to see Snowball return after a very long absence.

I only have one concern//question. Was it intentional to make the "Festival Launchers" actual require a Launcher hardpoint? I'm pretty sure the old Snowball Launchers only required a high slot - no launcher or turret hardpoints needed.
Matuk Grymwal
Collapsed Out
Pandemic Legion
#97 - 2012-12-14 01:14:18 UTC
The best part of the old snowball launchers was we didn't know they were coming...there was no redeeming system back in my day, they just appeared in your hanger. So not only did they red box, they were also completely unexpected by most pilots when they first came out. I still remember the black bird I concorded, and lobbing snowballs at a revelation someone had in amarr....good times.
Vanths
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#98 - 2012-12-14 03:17:01 UTC
Still want remap for Christmas!
Caldari 5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. S.A.S
Affirmative.
#99 - 2012-12-14 03:22:12 UTC
Joining the band wagon of annoyed people in relation to the renaming and devaluing of the Snowball Launcher.
I mean you could have just made the new Festival Launcher a Meta 1 of the same series right, with the original Snowball Launcher being the Meta 0? At least then you could have keep them Unique and also have support for the Further versions to also be unique.

I for one hope that there are some new collectables available.

I also hope that there is a BPO being Seeded for Generic SnowBalls so that they can be used all year round. (perhaps even in 4 different colours for the 4 different factions ICE)
usrevenge
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#100 - 2012-12-14 03:23:28 UTC
make the festive launcher not take ammo, like noob weapons , this means snowballl fight all year long sauce