These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

@CCP, Idea for missile launchers!

First post
Author
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2011-10-22 23:56:39 UTC
Make the missiles fly towards the target in a circular manner instead of a straight b-line shot!

That way; when you ungroup and fire a bunch it will look REALLY cool!

-My opinion/idea
DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2011-10-23 00:01:01 UTC
You mean like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzXfVgYCxWI&t=10s

Watch all of it and you'll never want to see a missile again.
Rocky Deadshot
In The Goo
EVE Trade Alliance
#3 - 2011-10-23 00:01:02 UTC
oh great.. make missiles have even less range... what a great idea!
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2011-10-23 00:05:59 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

Who said anything about reducing the range? LOL
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2011-10-23 00:07:28 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:

02:00 is the best part.
DarkAegix
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#6 - 2011-10-23 00:08:08 UTC
oh great.. make all missiles restricted entirely to kinetic damage... what a great idea!
Rocky Deadshot
In The Goo
EVE Trade Alliance
#7 - 2011-10-23 00:08:42 UTC
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

you obviously have no idea how missiles have range... both velocity x flight time

by making the path nonlinear... you just increased the distance the missile traveled to target, and reduced its effective flight time.
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-10-23 00:09:12 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

you obviously have no idea how missiles have range... both velocity x flight time

by making the path nonlinear... you just increased the distance the missile traveled to target, and reduced its effective flight time.

which means you increase to adjust for the change of pathing.

You obviously don't know how addition works.
stoicfaux
#9 - 2011-10-23 00:17:40 UTC
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
DarkAegix wrote:

02:00 is the best part.

~1:32 is the best part. A missile close up has the graphic of a Budweiser can o' beer[1]. It's a bit subliminal. I think I'll grab a Bass.

[1] For various definitions of beer.

Pon Farr Memorial: once every 7 years, all the carebears in high-sec must PvP or they will be temp-banned.

Rocky Deadshot
In The Goo
EVE Trade Alliance
#10 - 2011-10-23 00:23:39 UTC
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

You obviously dont know how CCP works...

First off, that suggestion would increase lag for sure...
2nd its a bunch of extra graphics... and extra calculations
3rd it would be a buff to missiles when hitting something stationary (increasing range) while a nerf when shotting something at a tangent vector.... (btw I have a degree in aerospace engineering so I actually know how all this **** really works)

4th... its alot of extra work for crappiest of all dmg methods.
5th it would require more staff people than they currently can allocate away from catering to null bloc

i would continue but I'm gonna go get laid
Katsumi Kaminari
#11 - 2011-10-23 00:34:33 UTC
Yes! Flashy robotech missile barrages f**king own! Shocked

In blossom today, then scattered: Life is so like a delicate flower. How can one expect the fragrance To last forever? - Vice Admiral Ohnishi, Kamikaze Special Attack Force

Igualmentedos
Perkone
Caldari State
#12 - 2011-10-23 01:47:32 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:

If Eve gets spaceships that can turn into mechs...well I would suddenly drop out of school and ignore all social aspects of life, and I would probably just ignore hygiene.
Evenus Battuta
#13 - 2011-10-23 02:43:18 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

You obviously dont know how CCP works...

3rd it would be a buff to missiles when hitting something stationary (increasing range) while a nerf when shotting something at a tangent vector.... (btw I have a degree in aerospace engineering so I actually know how all this **** really works)

5th it would require more staff people than they currently can allocate away from catering to null bloc

It is all pure graphic and can be done competely on the client. in no way will this increase lag or cut off the range or become anything about nerf or buff
Nemesis Factor
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#14 - 2011-10-23 02:59:21 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:
pinkytabitha177 wrote:
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

You can keep the backend path the same and make the visual flight path different. They don't have to match up. An example is the staggered fire on grouped guns. They should do the same thing with missiles, just have them follow different paths so it looks cool.

I have brought this up before on the old F&I, I think in the same post I suggested staggered fire for grouped weapons.
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2011-10-23 04:07:35 UTC
See?! It'd be so pretty ! I might actually train missiles if this happened Big smile
pinkytabitha177
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2011-10-23 04:11:43 UTC
Rocky Deadshot wrote:

Nooo. Which means you change which animation the game calls for when you shoot the missiles and adjust the GRAPHIC to be sped up to keep up with the pre-set stats.

You think too much about how it changes physically instead of looking at the fun part.

PS: Your off hand doesn't count; even if I hear it feels like someone else is doing it.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#17 - 2011-10-23 04:16:11 UTC  |  Edited by: Mina Sebiestar
DarkAegix wrote:

thanks for blast from the past.

totally didn't even read what thread is about lol.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Keras Authion
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#18 - 2011-10-23 05:26:54 UTC
DarkAegix wrote:

Didn't work on me. In fact now we need swarmers. And launcher models. And better effects. And a MIRV warheads. And... well, you get the idea.

This post was rated "C" for capsuleer.

Tres Farmer
Gallente Federation Intelligence Service
#19 - 2011-10-23 05:33:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Tres Farmer
Has been proposed several times already.. just search for 'missiles + effects' on the old F&I forums.
Prob not on the top of the pile of stuff to consider right now, but feeback by players was always very positive.

Also, Feature and Ideas is that way.. I reported this thread and hope the mods move it soon.
Rocky Deadshot
In The Goo
EVE Trade Alliance
#20 - 2011-10-23 05:54:57 UTC
not only is this idea completely superfluous, its low on the list even for missile graphics.

I personally would rather have my mission boats actually have visible turrets on them long before the graphical change.

And yes this proposed change would effect the mechanics... while you think its purely graphical, what you don't understand is that Missiles are actually units stored on the server and thus their path is actually a factor in their range... this is why a dram moving at your tangent with MWD going can actually out run some missiles without being out of "range." This is the very reason why Drakes Blobs were used for so long, the extra communication of all those missiles was a way to cause lag storms for advantages in pvp. While CCP was reduced the amount of communication, their path is still a major function in their range, as it is most missiles actually have a max distance thats a little under their proposed range (flight time * velocity) ... i've done numerous tests on this. And this range gets shorter the more tangent the vector of your target.

CCP needs to focus on more pressing issues... like releasing new ships, more content, more t2 mods... and cross the board changes that will help encourage new players to stay, while encouraging the growth of null sec....

As it stands... graphics for missiles is probably the bottom of the pile of **** to do. It took several years of complaining to finally get hybrids to be approached... I imagine they will get to graphics on missiles about the time the make the Moa look good enough to fly.
12Next page