These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Why does nullsec care so much about what highsec is doing?

First post
Author
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#201 - 2012-12-12 06:01:03 UTC
The less interesting someone's life is the more interested they are in other people's lives. Look at the people you see reading celebrity tabloids for example. They've all blued and sov'd themselves into total boredom. Nullseccers have wrecked nullsec so now they're looking for someplace new to wreck to keep themselves entertained.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Asuka Solo
I N E X T R E M I S
Tactical Narcotics Team
#202 - 2012-12-12 08:29:44 UTC
Because deep down inside, all nullbears want all hi-sec miners mining null belts under their own personal nully-concord protection way out in soviet Mordor....

Eve is about Capital ships, WiS, Boobs, PI and Isk!

Xavier Hasberin
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#203 - 2012-12-12 08:46:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Xavier Hasberin
I don't really care right now about nullsec vs. highsec, since my only interaction there is the market, which I feed with some small amounts of raw materials and the occasional piece of tech, and my purchases of equipment I find useful.

I DO dislike the idea that nullsec needs a serious industry boost, simply because the end result of that is that nullsec will become a vast neighborhood of gated communities. It would be analagous to the territories of the Wild West suddenly being so technologically capable that they would never need anything imported from the Eastern US.

To my mind, the problem is multiple accounts and multiple characters per account. This invites the nullsec player to make a highsec alt and short circuit the necessary consequences of putting yourself in a resource rich and unlawful area and having to depend on the 'civilized' parts for your finished goods. After all, you can ignore that block by mining stuff on an alt, building it with an alt, shipping it with an alt, and the only thing you have to worry about is getting it to nullsec, which shouldn't be too hard for a nullsec player.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#204 - 2012-12-12 09:37:48 UTC
Xavier Hasberin wrote:
I don't really care right now about nullsec vs. highsec, since my only interaction there is the market, which I feed with some small amounts of raw materials and the occasional piece of tech, and my purchases of equipment I find useful.

I DO dislike the idea that nullsec needs a serious industry boost, simply because the end result of that is that nullsec will become a vast neighborhood of gated communities. It would be analagous to the territories of the Wild West suddenly being so technologically capable that they would never need anything imported from the Eastern US.

To my mind, the problem is multiple accounts and multiple characters per account. This invites the nullsec player to make a highsec alt and short circuit the necessary consequences of putting yourself in a resource rich and unlawful area and having to depend on the 'civilized' parts for your finished goods. After all, you can ignore that block by mining stuff on an alt, building it with an alt, shipping it with an alt, and the only thing you have to worry about is getting it to nullsec, which shouldn't be too hard for a nullsec player.

You're begging the question: why shouldn't players be able to create their own empires? If a group of players can defend and hold an area of space against all comers then who are you to say how they should run their affairs within it?

If you want "wild west" then surely the 2500 W-space systems already serve that playstyle ideally?

If players aren't supposed to create player built empires in sov 0.0, what area of the game would you designate as suitable for this activity?

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Xavier Hasberin
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#205 - 2012-12-12 09:51:31 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Xavier Hasberin wrote:

You're begging the question: why shouldn't players be able to create their own empires? If a group of players can defend and hold an area of space against all comers then who are you to say how they should run their affairs within it?

If you want "wild west" then surely the 2500 W-space systems already serve that playstyle ideally?

If players aren't supposed to create player built empires in sov 0.0, what area of the game would you designate as suitable for this activity?

None, of course. Remember, we're playing the game as CCP designed it: High low and null all need and depend upon each other in some way - high needs the resources from low and null that they can't get, low and null need to a lesser degree the industrial production that highsec provides. If you take away that need from either side of the equation, the game will suffer - highsec will see people leave in droves if there are player induced bottlenecks to production that are bigger than anything seen right now, and that's a net loss for CCP and the EVE community, whether some believe it or not.

Allow player 'empires' self suffiiciency in null, and they'll also take it in W-space as well, given typical human and business traits of expansion and monopolization. Arguing otherwise would be foolish, and I doubt the number of fools in EVE is a large one.
pussnheels
Viziam
#206 - 2012-12-12 09:59:55 UTC
To the OP
please ignore the haters from both sides , they are only a small but loud minority, and there always will be haters around

my opinion is that both sides null and high both require a different playing style
Either you love null sec or you hate it , while high sec is basicly playing EvE on easy and moderate difficulty mode
But both secs can not exsist without the other , high sec needs null for its moongoon high end minerals and rare faction /officers modules , while null needs high as a market for its products and a plentyfull source of most of its low end minerals , alot of its ice , production base , and a rich manpowerpool for recruiting new members

so in my opinion it is in the best interest of any nullsec alliance that high sec stays healthy

I do not agree with what you are saying , but i will defend to the death your right to say it...... Voltaire

Isa Cronos
#207 - 2012-12-12 10:02:27 UTC
it seems to me that some people want their self created safety in null (blue) e.g. "i feel more safe in null than in high sec"

it also seems that the same people want to make more isk e.g. "null is not profitable compared to high sec"

so what they really want is their own piece of "high sec" in front of their null sec doorstep.

they want to be both "proud" null sec pilots and live the lucrative empire life without the fears of null sec (again, blue).

if people feel safe in null then there is obviously no risk involved, so they don't deserve rewards Blink

jokes aside, people want safety and wealth, no matter where they live. no one here is better than the other.

if this is not true, then give me your stuff, your moon goo and your mission rewards, your minerals, bounties and your LP. i admit it, i am greedy and i want to be more safe than less, no matter where i live.
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#208 - 2012-12-12 10:04:45 UTC
I thought it was cause they all blued up and now need somewhere to vent their angst?

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#209 - 2012-12-12 10:08:26 UTC
Xavier Hasberin wrote:
Malcanis wrote:
Xavier Hasberin wrote:

None, of course. Remember, we're playing the game as CCP designed it: High low and null all need and depend upon each other in some way - high needs the resources from low and null that they can't get, low and null need to a lesser degree the industrial production that highsec provides. If you take away that need from either side of the equation, the game will suffer - highsec will see people leave in droves if there are player induced bottlenecks to production that are bigger than anything seen right now, and that's a net loss for CCP and the EVE community, whether some believe it or not.

Allow player 'empires' self suffiiciency in null, and they'll also take it in W-space as well, given typical human and business traits of expansion and monopolization. Arguing otherwise would be foolish, and I doubt the number of fools in EVE is a large one.

So you're saying that players in hi-sec will "leave in droves" if players in nullsec enjoy the same facilities that they do?

So you're saying that players in nullsec can't be allowed to play how they want in nullsec because hi-sec needs them as a captive market?

So you're saying that if we fix industry in 0.0, this will somehow make w-space viable as empire-building space? Can you explain how this would affect W-space when no stations can be built in w-space, when there are still no gates in w-space, when there still no cynos or jump bridges in W-space, and in fact when w-space won't be changed at all?

You're leaving some huge gaps and making some massive assumptions in your assertions about how 0.0 "should" be, most of them apparently based on the fact that since 0.0 is the way it is after years of neglect, it should be the way it is after years of neglect. Despite the fact that virtually everyone who lives in it and who doesn't live in it says that it needs radically reforming.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#210 - 2012-12-12 10:11:15 UTC
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:
I thought it was cause they all blued up and now need somewhere to vent their angst?

I highlighted the error in your post.

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#211 - 2012-12-12 10:20:04 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Antisocial Malkavian wrote:

I highlighted the error in your post.

proof or it didnt happen.
and yes, I mean thought on my part

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#212 - 2012-12-12 12:29:44 UTC
Ludi Burek wrote:
HVAC Repairman wrote:

Hisec players on average (not every case, but on average) have little to no understanding of the big picture, only care about isk/hour, do not believe in risk vs. reward, cry about everything they do not like, make the most god awful game suggestions, boggle down the petition system with the most inane drivel, complain incessantly about representation on the CSM, make the most god awful posts, are nearly universally incapable of deductive reasoning, start the most ridiculous tinfoil conspiracy theories, believe that suicide gankers should be banned for griefing, want hisec to be completely safe, and generally want to see EVE die in the same way that Ultima Online did.

I don't begrudge people who play the game in the style they prefer, I begrudge people who don't want other players to be able to play theirs.

Best post.

Yeah, come on down to F&I for the hundredth or more "nerf AFK cloakers" thread if you think nullbears are any different than highsec carebears.

The fact is there's lots of little (and not so little) things broken, and as another poster pointed out it seems to be human nature to blame the people playing the game in the portions where the breakage is different rather than the designers.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#213 - 2012-12-12 13:17:30 UTC
Roosevelt Coltrane wrote:
Truth:

Most people don't care.

Most people think E-uni is a good idea, even if they would never be a member

Most people think mining is fine, even if they find it mind numbingly boring

Most people think running missions is fine, even if they find it lacking challenge, dull and repetitive

Maybe they will come and harass you... but its all in fun

But some people have low self esteem and look to a video game for their self worth

You can identify them because they will put down the way another chooses to play

Hisec putting down null.... null hating hisec. Both have low self esteem. Truth.

Sorry, that's just not true, you fell of the rails just as soon as you went to that "because they will put down the way another chooses to play" stuff. I honest to God don't know where this stuff comes from, are people actually sending you EVE mails or convo'ing you and saying "the way you play is wrong, you should play like me"?

Frying Doom
#214 - 2012-12-12 13:18:49 UTC
Jenn aSide wrote:
Truth:

Most people don't care.

Most people think running missions is fine, even if they find it lacking challenge, dull and repetitive

But some people have low self esteem and look to a video game for their self worth

You can identify them because they will put down the way another chooses to play

Hisec putting down null.... null hating hisec. Both have low self esteem. Truth.

Sorry, that's just not true, you fell of the rails just as soon as you went to that "because they will put down the way another chooses to play" stuff. I honest to God don't know where this stuff comes from, are people actually sending you EVE mails or convo'ing you and saying "the way you play is wrong, you should play like me"?

Umm have you ever read these forums?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#215 - 2012-12-12 13:34:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Jenn aSide
Frying Doom wrote:
Jenn aSide wrote:
Truth:

Most people don't care.

Umm have you ever read these forums?

Everyday for the last 5 years, and in that time i've seen plenty of people jumping to conclusions...the wrong conclusions. you're just seeing what you want, instead of whats actually there (while ignoring evidence that points to the contrary.

It happens all the time in real life, people of one political party can see all the flaws in the other, but are oblivious to their own. Recognizing this, you notice I don't say things like "General Discussion is all high sec carebears complaining". i notice high sec carebears complaining more than i notice other things that don't tick me off as much, BUT I have the presence of mind to know that's not the whole picture.

Hell, look at my postings in GD. I post one thing and some (usually high sec but occasionally not) joker replies with the "you just want me to play your way" crap. How in the high honking Hells could anyone get "I want you to play a certain way" from anything I've ever said? How many times do I have to say "my position is play as you want within the EULA and reality, but understand the game and the consequences of your choices."?

As it is done to me, you people with that high sec persecution complex (and who actually think they matter) default to the usual "why, you must just be some kind of fascist who hates me personally" position for all General Discussion.

It's just not true, no one really cares enough about you people to worry about it. Some people will PRETEND to care (like the miner bumpers), but it's a lie, what they want is your tears and maybe they have some shadowy profit motive, but they sure as hell aren't sitting at a computer nashing their teeth at the fact that you are mining.

But by all means, continue to only see what you want to.
Piugattuk
Litla Sundlaugin
#216 - 2012-12-12 13:40:58 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:
For clarification on the many ways carebears affect null players and the threat they pose to ALL of EVE, see the manifestos and themittani.com articles of James 315

I don't hate them, I merely recognize that they must be purged. Nothing personal, I'm just operating under the pretense that carebears are the enemy and must be indiscriminately slaughtered until there are no more left. You guys should be happy you have a competent enemy.

\o/ CAREBEAR HOLOCAUST! (because highsec isn't going to cleanse itself)

So you take one guys dogma and it's the only way to go huh...no real insight for yourself?
Ok, remove all carebears from the game....now what, prices fall to an all time low because many players whom chosen to have their fun playing their way and not live the dogma james 315 spouts not buying any T-2 items or ships prices fall for null materials cause the supply and demand thingy getting in the way and we all know null players PVP only exclusively in T-2 pimp ships, no carebears no more lol from ganking which removes that fun thing to do for people that do that (and don't point to barge buffs) cause the skiff and procurer are the only barges that are tough every thing else is still easily killed for lol.
And prices fall even more for T-1 items because who would buy meta 0 or 1, well industrialist get flushed mostly. Oops lets not forget the trade profession there's that too, and you believe the mittens Romney ground, they broke the winmatar LP with the LP from FW by using a loophole do you understand how much value in isk and LP they got now try being a FW pilot who wants to profit from LP items from FW, how are carebears responsible for that drop, don't believe the dogma spewing from some person or group with an agenda of their own, use your mind to figure out what's really going on.Bear
turmajin
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#217 - 2012-12-12 13:43:20 UTC
The simply answer is null players want high sec players to have some unexpected risk,involved in their gameplay,and face some of the challanges they do.Where just undocking means theres a fair chance of losing your ship ect Myself i have no beef with any high/low or null players playing the game they want to.Ive lost ships in high/low and null and i expect that will continue to happen .It does add a bit of spice to the game knowing your never really safe anywhere.But it never stops me playing how i want to play on that day,wheather its just mining,manufaturing or missioning,roaming or just ratting for the CONCORD sec status.Each to their own i say.
Var Vindictus
Legacy of Tyr
#218 - 2012-12-12 13:43:34 UTC
Hi sec space = I depend on concord and Eve game rules, Null Sec = I depend on my friends. To my own observations people in hi sec do what they want, playing solo usually forming little corporations to avoid taxes, be industrial enough to maybe play for plex, just in my own opinion this is dull and boring. Leaving Hi sec was the best thing I ever did for actually knowing what goes on in Eve.
Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#219 - 2012-12-12 13:44:59 UTC
'You want to force me to play the game the way you want' is just another Fox News talking point intended to incite fear and shut down debate. The only people talking about forcing highseccers into a certain playstyle are those same highseccers.

Sort of like how the only people talking about 'taking everyone's guns away' are NRA members, not the agencies they claim are trying to take the guns away.

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#220 - 2012-12-12 13:56:40 UTC
Scatim Helicon wrote:
'You want to force me to play the game the way you want' is just another Fox News talking point intended to incite fear and shut down debate. The only people talking about forcing highseccers into a certain playstyle are those same highseccers.

Yes, they don't say they want to force highseccers playstyle, they just say they want to take away L3 and L4 missions, make refining inferior, remove manufacturing slots or make them much more expensive...