These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Monocles

Author
Wilhelm Riley
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-12-12 02:03:29 UTC
With the passing of Sir Patrick Moore, a much loved monocle wearing figure in astronomy, the sciences and xylophonics, would we not want to honour him with a limited edition monocle to be included in this years Christmas gift box?

Understandably this may be asking a bit much for someone who wasn't known globally, still, we all love monocles and space right?

Or perhaps some other kind of tribute.
Ocih
Space Mermaids
Somethin Awfull Forums
#2 - 2012-12-12 02:17:31 UTC
Monocle in EVE is like a tattoo to prove you got punked by CCP.

For those that don't know, Punk is originally a prison term to describe the guy who picked up the soap.
Darwins Hammer
Doomheim
#3 - 2012-12-12 02:27:17 UTC
Interesting idea but im more with remembering Patrick Moore who popularised Astronomy in Britain.

For all you Johnny foreigners he hosted the longest running programme in the world. It ran from 1957 to 2012 and he only missed something like 2 episodes.

Wonderful show and a wonderful man
Antisocial Malkavian
Antisocial Malkavians
#4 - 2012-12-12 02:38:27 UTC
Darwins Hammer wrote:
Interesting idea but im more with remembering Patrick Moore who popularised Astronomy in Britain.

For all you Johnny foreigners he hosted the longest running programme in the world. It ran from 1957 to 2012 and he only missed something like 2 episodes.

who?

And, isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit.

Ravnik
Infinate Horizon
#5 - 2012-12-13 09:50:18 UTC
Darwins Hammer wrote:

Agreed. Will be missed Cry

The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly..........

Samillian
Angry Mustellid
Lost Obsession
#6 - 2012-12-13 10:05:22 UTC
Goodbye to Sir Patrick, the man who brought astronomy to generations.

Played a mean xylophone as well.

Sir Patrick Moore, Guardian obituary

NBSI shall be the whole of the Law

TheBlueMonkey
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-12-13 10:18:15 UTC
You're all overlooking gamesmaster.

That was his crowning achievement ;)
baltec1
Bat Country
Pandemic Horde
#8 - 2012-12-13 10:31:45 UTC  |  Edited by: baltec1
He made the map of the moon that america and the soviets used to land on the moon, seemingly inspired half of the people at nasa to learn space sciences, answered every letter he got on a 1920s typewriter, holds the record for the longest running tv show with the same presenter, inspired generations of star gazers and is the only man is human history to pull off a hawaiian shirt and monocle. When he was awarded a Bafta Buzz Aldrin flew in to give it to him personally.

I remember begging my dad to let me stay up and watch the sky at night when I was seven and I still watch it 20 years on!

We will never have his like againSad
Daimon Kaiera
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2012-12-13 10:32:07 UTC
Ocih wrote:
Monocle in EVE is like a tattoo to prove you got punked by CCP.

For those that don't know, Punk is originally a prison term to describe the guy who picked up the soap.

Some of us like doing that, you know.

.... . .-.. .--. / .. / .... .- ...- . / ..-. .- .-.. .-.. . -. / .- -. -.. / .. / -.-. .- -. -. --- - / --. . - / ..- .--. / ... - --- .--. - .... .. ... / ... .. --. -. .- - ..- .-. . / .. -.. . .- / .. ... / -. --- - / ... - --- .-.. . -. / ... - --- .--.