These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

What are some ships that need visual touch-ups?

First post First post
Author
Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#81 - 2012-12-10 17:32:21 UTC
Complete Remodels:

-All pirate ships with currently non-unique hulls
-All T2 ships that don't already have them
-Dominix
-Rupture
-Bellicose
-Moa
-Griffin
-Helios
-Bestower
-Badger
-Aeon
-Mining barges
-Rorqual

Touch ups:
-Typhoon
-Hyperion
-Talwar
-Archon
-Naglfar

Don't touch:
-Blackbird
-Hurricane
-Thorax
-Rifter
-Merlin
-Navitas
-Maelstrom
-Abaddon
-Apocalypse
-Machariel
-Cynabal
-Myrmidon
Dersen Lowery
The Scope
#82 - 2012-12-10 17:56:19 UTC
I'll just emphasize how awesome a mining barge redo would be. Reconceive them along the lines of the Noctis, Rorqual and Venture for maximum win. Leave the Orca alone, though.

Proud founder and member of the Belligerent Desirables.

I voted in CSM X!

marVLs
#83 - 2012-12-10 17:57:52 UTC
Complete Remodels:
All T2 ships that don't already have them need unique models
-Dominix
-Typhoon
-Rupture
-Bellicose
-Moa
-Griffin
-Helios
-Bestower
-Badger
-Mining barges
-Phoenix
-Harbinger
-Prophecy
-Ferox
-Caracal
-Blackbird
-Osprey
-Vexor
-Thorax
-Exequror
-Celestis
-Scythe
-Heron
-Condor
-Bantam
-Maulus
-Burst
-Slasher
-Vigil

Touch ups(better skins and upgrade like new Megathron):
-Maelstrom
-Raven
-Rokh
-Armageddon
-All capitals
-Industrials
-Cormorant
-Coercer
-Tormentor
-Inquisitor

More moving parts on ships! Mining ships should have moving parts only when mining, not all the time...
Stegas Tyrano
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#84 - 2012-12-10 18:00:02 UTC
We need forum polls P

Herping your derp since 19Potato - [url=https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2403364][Proposal] - Ingame Visual Adverts[/url]

Nyancat Audeles
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#85 - 2012-12-10 18:27:17 UTC
Akirei Scytale wrote:
Aralieus wrote:
The omen is missing its other stubbly wing

If any artist even considers looking at the Omen, many people will hunt him down mercilessly.

I absolutely love the Omen.
Nyancat Audeles
Gallente Federation
#86 - 2012-12-10 18:34:20 UTC
Remiel Pollard wrote:
Every sci fi has to have it's ugly ships. Anything Klingon, for example. Look at it this way: consider the starships designers of New Eden in parallel with car designers of the real world (I know, another "RL" comparison - sue me). The Subaru WRX is one of the ugliest cars on the road, but it goes harder than most others in its class. Ferrari could use a facelift, too. Lamborghini's look gorgeous, but they're too heavy and cumbersome for any real performance applications. Yes, I am aware that they race them, but the Nissans are the ones that are winning the GT1s.

If every ship was beautiful, there would be no art. There would be no comparison. And on that note, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - one man's Maserati is another man's eyesore (it's my favourite Italian maker, tbh, but I'll admit they don't even come close to the gorgeousness of an Alfa Romeo, which by the way WILL fall apart the moment you touch it).

I like all the ships the way they are. I like the changes that were made to the Mega and the Vaga and the others, and I liked their old models too. I like the ugly ships, even the Moa, because without them, we would have no appreciation for the gorgeous ones like the Talos and the Hyperion. You may disagree that these are good looking ships, but you're making part of my point for me by doing that - what I find gorgeous, you might find ugly. And it's why any serious overhalls of ship design should not be made.

Perhaps a tweak here and there to update ships, like with the Mega - sure, it looks different now, but all in all, it's still the same size, and general shape, and I think that's important. This is original art we're talking about here, and so would be a new Moa, more than likely, but changing it would only demean the artwork that makes EVE unique.

This.
Nyancat Audeles
Gallente Federation
#87 - 2012-12-10 18:37:37 UTC
TharOkha wrote:
CCP Falcon wrote:
Aralieus wrote:

If the omen had both its wings, it would by FAR be the best looking ship in game.

Cool

Actualy... Omen is one of a few asymetric ships that looks fantastic

Also this
As I posted above, don't do any major overhauls. And don't you touch my Omen!
Kagumichan
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#88 - 2012-12-10 18:50:56 UTC  |  Edited by: Kagumichan
CCP Falcon wrote:
Aralieus wrote:

If the omen had both its wings, it would by FAR be the best looking ship in game.

Cool

I'm with this guy, compared to the Omen, all other cruisers look small and puny. Now if only more people would start flying one, Eve would become 20% sexier Bear

As for ships that need changing, yeah pretty much all Cadari cruisers need to loose their random legobrick design. I know they were designed based on birds, but damn those are some ugly birds!

Also, DON'T TOUCH THE MALEDICTION OR HARBINGER!!!!! Unless you're gonna add more engines on the back, that'd be fine, more engines are good.
Karrde Belarr
Critical Horizon
#89 - 2012-12-10 19:14:54 UTC
Right, okay, so I'm not 100% in favor of any major overhauls/complete redesigns of many ships, which is why the topic asks about "Touch-ups" particularly, however, some of the minmatar ships I believe could do with a remodelling.

There are definitely some great-looking ships that also look rag-tag and not really high-tech. I get that Minnie is supposed to be like that, and that's awesome. But just because it's rag-tag or on limited resources doesn't mean the vessel had to have been designed by a complete idiot engineer. The Minmatar are brilliant at adapting on limited resources -- some of the best engineers around have to come from there now, right? So, honestly, how did the Bellicose happen? That thing is like my little brother's structurally unsound Lego creations that can snap with a wee little jab at it.
Nyancat Audeles
Gallente Federation
#90 - 2012-12-10 23:23:31 UTC
Karrde Belarr wrote:
So, honestly, how did the Bellicose happen? That thing is like my little brother's structurally unsound Lego creations that can snap with a wee little jab at it.

But all minnie ships can snap with a wee little jab!
Bandalon Ominus
The Graduates
The Initiative.
#91 - 2012-12-11 00:00:17 UTC
EVE Online has some very nice graphics and designs, and I think we can all agree that generally the ships look great

An issue with graphics in video games has always been that when you zoom in they become blurred. This even happens with modern (PC) games

As for EVE, this issue has been extensively discussed in this topic : 'Ultra High Texture Pack' : https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=39174

However, I doubt that for the texture blurring on ships in EVE an ultra high texture pack is really necessary.
An easier solution to this is 'multi texturing' or 'detail texturing'

Detail texturing / Multitexturing has many benefits, the two most important are:
- It's very low on resource
- It's very effective

See for some examples and how they could work great in EVE
http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/DetailTexture.html
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/shawnhar/archive/2008/11/03/detail-textures.aspx

A great example of how this improved quality (e.g. for the Avatar) can be seen here in the 'EVE Ships size comparison' video on Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0O3Xl6a4wc

I hope that we see this improvement in EVE
iskflakes
#92 - 2012-12-11 00:12:31 UTC
moa, rag

-

John Nucleus
24th Imperial Crusade
Amarr Empire
#93 - 2012-12-11 03:07:53 UTC  |  Edited by: John Nucleus
The crucifier and sentinel looks like they have hull pieces missing. Like if the ship was sent out to war before it was completed...

The Dragoon needs more bite. It looks like some boring transport ship now.
Gogela
Epic Ganking Time
CODE.
#94 - 2012-12-11 04:14:31 UTC
The Badger needs hand painted flames on the front and a bumper sticker that reads "Keep on Truckin'" imho...

Signatures should be used responsibly...

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#95 - 2012-12-11 06:10:37 UTC
Caracal
Condor

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Nomistrav
Gallente Federation
#96 - 2012-12-11 07:16:53 UTC
Just my opinion here...

Atron (http://i.imgur.com/jEICv.jpg)
Imicus (http://i.imgur.com/VlKnO.jpg)
Navitas (http://i.imgur.com/xF0i5.jpg)
Celestis (Gallente focus on organic shapes, the brutix and hyperion are good balances of that - this is not)
Exequror (Another poor example of organic mixed poorly with mechancial, mostly just tacked on engines)
Dominix (I've always viewed this ship as flying cancer)
Iteron (Never liked the way this ship looked)

Opus Luxury Yacht (Blech)

Tormentor (Too much like the inquisitor)
Crucifier (http://i.imgur.com/019zE.jpg)
Armaggedon (Nothing wrong with this ship but it could use a modernization)
Bestower

Griffin (Doesn't 'pop' Caldari style)
Bantam (Too blocky for Caldari style)
Moa (Sickening)

Burst (Flying armor plating?)
Slasher (Good design but could use some modernization)
Scythe (Looks a little odd by comparison of other Minmatar styles)
Rupture (Same as above)
Typhoon (DRASTIC change in style from other Minmatar designs)
Hoarder (Flying block with solar panels)

"As long as space endures,

as long as sentient beings exist,

until then, may I too remain

and dispel the miseries of the world."

~ Vremaja Idama

MisterNick
The Sagan Clan
#97 - 2012-12-11 10:23:47 UTC
Vexor hulls need the smiley face back, it was stolen with V3 Evil

As for ugly? Celestis, Leviathan and Osprey.

"Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom."

poppeteer
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#98 - 2012-12-11 11:06:58 UTC
Mega/Kronos/Vindi really need a touch up.
Preferably back to how they were.
Jacob Mordecai
The Church of Awesome
#99 - 2012-12-11 11:34:44 UTC
Bring back old vargur.
At least its old solar panel wings...
Hannott Thanos
Notorious Legion
#100 - 2012-12-11 11:36:18 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:
Aralieus wrote:

Cool

The Thorax has a pen*s on it's forehead. Your argument is invalid.

while (CurrentSelectedTarget.Status == ShipStatus.Alive) {

_myShip.FireAllGuns(CurrentSelectedTarget);

}