These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Wormholes

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Nullsec - WH spawning

Author
Arazel Chainfire
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-08 01:33:13 UTC
To start with, I love WH space, both for PvE and PvP. However, nullsec (especially in a coalition) definately wins over WH space for quick log on and PvP, or doing big ops that make you feel epic. Taking a look around, I found the sov upgrade "Quantum Flux Generator", which gives a chance of spawning WH's in that system. If I'm reading this right, placing this would increase the chances of WH's spawning in that system, allowing us to PvE in WH space (or sneak in and get occasional PvP), without permanently moving into WH space.

I was wondering if anyone had more information about how these work/whether or not they actually work. I was thinking about getting one of these installed in our space, but if they don't actually work then I would prefer not to waste the money and the time trying to install one.

-Arazel
Omen Nihilo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#2 - 2012-12-08 01:53:39 UTC
Arazel Chainfire wrote:

However, nullsec (especially in a coalition) definately wins over WH space for quick log on and PvP

Or you could live in w-space and connect to nullsecs all over new eden... Twisted

Besides that, I have absolutely nothing to add regarding your question. I hope it works though, I quite enjoy ganking site-runners from nullsec.
Trinkets friend
Sudden Buggery
Sending Thots And Players
#3 - 2012-12-08 02:42:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Trinkets friend
I have seen this work two ways. Low-level QFGs you probably do get a slight increase in wormhole spawn rates, but it is like taking off from a low base. Consider there are 20,000 or so nullsec systems, and lets assume there are 500 S199's connecting any two random nullsec/lowsec systems, maybe 50 R941's from hisec to low/null, and 500 N432 to C5's (also shared with lowsec), and 200 R943's to C2's and 200 X702's to C3's and 200 Z971's to C1.

You have 1650 ways from any given nullsec system to any other system in EVE (w-space or k-space) split amongst 20,000 nullsec systems and some shared between nullsec and lowsec, or indeed hisec. The chances of landing a connection out of your one QFG-upgraded system are a base of 1650/20,000 under this assumption - or around 1 in 20. If the QFG doubles your percentage, it is 3100/20,000 or around 1 in 7. So you've gone from having a single wormhole in your system every 2 weeks to once every week.

The real maths are not known to me as I am unaware of CCP ever releasing how many N432's, R943's, X702's, etc, there actually are. But the QFG seems, at least when at level 1 and 2, to make no concrete difference in my experience to increasing wormholes present in the system - certainly it's not a license to print money from w-space unlike the Pirate Detection Array and other architecture that observably turns your nullsec backwater into lush farmland where carrier alts graze like fat candy-filled donkeys.

But on the other hand, I saw a Red Alliance system one day with a fully pimped QFG and it had 9 N432's and 4 other wormholes in it. Which is very unusual. Either I was in there on a random lucky day or it really does spawn gratuitous confusion.

I must also note that outliers of chance to exist. In a wormhole I lived in, one particular day, we had an exit to one of each type of w-space system, C1 up to C6, plus out two statics (C3/hisec), plus low and null. Basically, we hit the bonanza - but part of these were inbound, and part transients. So clustering of wormholes in systems does occur.

Similarly, the most wormholes I saw (aside from the time we spawned 50-ish K346's during the bug) in any system was 15. Did it help me make any more money? No. Did I get any ganks? No.

Realistically, I would say the QFG is basically useless when deployed alone. Deploy one in every system in a constellation, especially in dronespace, and I think that you will begin picking up many more transients and outbounds, as my experience is that some constellations seem to attract wormholes more than others - though I expect I will get some wheesing aspergers geek hyperventilating at this observer bias statement.
MadbaM
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-12-08 05:18:20 UTC
Trinkets friend wrote:
I have seen this work two ways. Low-level QFGs you probably do get a slight increase in wormhole spawn rates,

You could have ended there.

From experiences living in WH's i tend to see null wh connections are more frequent into heavily run ratting systems (usually upgraded) they are also often dead end systems. I always attributed this to people scanning more frequently in those systems and therefor opening the connections. I would love to know how many potential WH connections de-spawn without ever opening and if that influences the spawn rate of others.

But as far as im aware this is an area of eve mechanics heavily debated with no firm facts, if im wrong id love to be corrected and see some confirmed data on it.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#5 - 2012-12-08 18:04:13 UTC
Trinkets friend wrote:

Realistically, I would say the QFG is basically useless when deployed alone. Deploy one in every system in a constellation, especially in dronespace, and I think that you will begin picking up many more transients and outbounds, as my experience is that some constellations seem to attract wormholes more than others - though I expect I will get some wheesing aspergers geek hyperventilating at this observer bias statement.

From what I've heard ancedotally this seems to be about where the truth lies - you need a handful of systems upgraded with them to see any meaningful increase in the number of WH connections you have access to.
Angsty Teenager
Broski North
#6 - 2012-12-08 21:16:02 UTC
I have never had an issue finding wormholes in nullsec, I can't really imagine why anybody would need that upgrade unless they are a pet renter alliance that is literally not allowed to do anything outside of their one system.

In my experience, there is roughly 1 wormhole evrey 3-5 systems with the vast majority of them leading to C5's (read: about 70% being either a N432 or a K162 from a Z142 in a C5). The other 30% are either S199's or X702/the corresponding nullsec static from a C3.

Very rarely have I found a C2/C1 and I don't think I've ever found a C4 (through a K162 or a outgoing WH, though I don't think there is one).

Seems to me that either way living in a WH is still significantly better for finding wormholes to PVE/PVP in. You can simply chain collapse your static until you find a WH that is of value to you. The only case where this is probably not worth it is in a C4 or C5 static, C5's because there are so many you'll probably rarely find a fight, and C4's because l0l C4's.
Rroff
Antagonistic Tendencies
#7 - 2012-12-08 21:25:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Rroff
Angsty Teenager wrote:

Very rarely have I found a C2/C1 and I don't think I've ever found a C4 (through a K162 or a outgoing WH, though I don't think there is one).

There is only one type of direct WH from k-space to a C4 and conventional wisdom is it doesn't actually exist ingame - but even if it does there such a small number of them and such a high number of possibly systems it could be in that you could very literally live in a C4 WH scanning 24x7 for 2-3 years and never see one.

EDIT: Then add onto that, that it would have to be scanned down and initiated warp to from the k-space side to spawn it into C4 space and even if it does exist that makes the chances of one every showing in w-space extremely small.