These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page12

Remove AURUM thread. No to microtransactions.

Author
Echo Falls
Adherents of the Repeated Meme
#21 - 2011-10-22 08:09:44 UTC
.. but I like my new knee high leather boots .. Don't take them away .. *sob*

Oh .. and page 2 ninja!
Florestan Bronstein
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#22 - 2011-10-22 08:18:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Florestan Bronstein
The company is about whatever its owners decide it should be about.

If you want to change company goals, addressing management or devs is pretty pointless as they don't set these goals - at best they advise the company's owners on them.

Hilmar does probably own 2.5-2.8% of CCP - even if he would agree completely with you there are still another 97% of shareholders that have to convinced.

This includes a 30% stake that is effectively controlled by a consortium of banks, a 24% stake controlled by a US venture capital firm [1], and various smaller investors/funds with no direct ties to CCP - current & former CCP employees/founders/management/board members own about 25% of CCP as far as we can tell (with roughly 10% of the total shares unaccounted for as they are spread too thinly).

If you want CCP's company goals to change, write a letter to Deutsche Bank or General Catalyst Partners and tell them that profit is not everything. Good Luck.

Get real.

[1] http://www.generalcatalyst.com/companies
General Catalyst Partners (through Teno Investments) increased their stake in CCP substantially in 2009 by buying newly emitted shares (probably to fund DUST & WoD development).
Radix Salvilines
Drunken Vikings Crusaders
#23 - 2011-10-22 08:31:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Radix Salvilines
What about when Incarna gets here.... We will be able to walk on stations, ships.... and items for AUR will become a necessity.

And then the divide between Incarna and Spaceships will start to get thinner and thinner... like a virtual reality. As AURUM will be well rooted already it will be necesary to buy it for RL money.

You guys seem to be comfortable with the thought that there will always be Spaceships gameplay and Incarna gameplay. Think again... This is their vision to have everything integrated and it will get there sooner or later. They did it to fast and got burned now but CCP will continue on this path.

Either we say remove AURUM now or we will loose EVE as we love it. CCP does not care about it anymore (or more true - their owners) - only we do.
We now know we have the power to influence the Goliat. Lets not stop now.
Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#24 - 2011-10-22 08:34:52 UTC
Radix Salvilines wrote:
What about when Incarna gets here.... We will be able to walk on stations, ships.... and items for AUR will become a necessity.

And then the divide between Incarna and Spaceships will start to get thinner and thinner... like a virtual reality. As AURUM will be well rooted already it will be necesary to buy it for RL money.

You guys seem to be comfortable with the thought that there will always be Spaceships gameplay and Incarna gameplay. Think again... This is their vision to have everything integrated and it will get there sooner or later. They did it to fast and got burned now but CCP will continue on this path.

Either we say remove AURUM now or we will loose EVE as we love it. CCP does not care about it anymore - only we do.
We now know we have the power to influence the Goliat. Lets not stop now.

Funny how quickly people forget how close we came to having the Ishukone Scorpian in the NEX store ... you know, just to try it out.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

Kietay Ayari
Caldari State
#25 - 2011-10-22 09:09:43 UTC  |  Edited by: Kietay Ayari
Okay! So I am obviously new but this seems -ridiculous- to me! Are you people unaware that you can buy PLEX for ISK, and then turn that PLEX into AUR?

Now that you are aware of that the only thing you can possibly complain about is price... but that is hardly a valid complaint I think! I mean I already do not understand what is wrong with non gameplay micro transactions but this especially! You can buy all of these things with ISK o_O what else do you want?

I would say there is a possibility of being wrong about buying AUR with ISK... but there isn't! Because I've done it! >_>

Ferox rules!

Ferox #1

Azahni Vah'nos
Vah'nos Family
#26 - 2011-10-22 15:20:25 UTC
Post on Failheap-Challenge wrote:
So let me get this straight. PLEX, which I remember being introduced as a means to combat RMT in EVE, are now an early example of the Micro-Transactions in EVE. And because players are willing to spend $104.97 on a PLEX, they clearly have no problem paying a lot for their hobby, and therefore, on a pair of useless pants or a monocle from the NEx shop.

And then, because CCP needed 'experience' with MT for Dust fast, they just threw those MT in EVE for Incarna and chased away somewhere around a quarter of their paying customers. But not to worry, that didn't scare them off one bit. They're still happily planning further waves of retardedness.

Soon you'll be able to get your own, paid-for-cash, sparkle pony ship, and show to the remainder of the players of EVE that it really doesn't matter how good you are in EVE, as long as you are willing to spend lots and lots of cash on your 'hobby'. Clearly, as far as CCP goes, this is all perfectly fine. Especially because by the time this hits the playerbase, CCP will have the 'organisational readiness' to deal with all the fallout. No more messy scrambling of 'resources' needed. Lessons learned guys! Really! Guys? Guise?

Seriously though, can someone explain to me where CCP got these morons? I mean, this is so far into moron-county, loads of street ladies doing unmentionables (edited) are now looking a bit mundane with levels of retardedness this high ...

This sums up the NEX store and the thinking that goes along with it beautifully. Hopefully the person who posted it there on failheap isn't annoyed with me for a) not listing their name and/or b) for me posting it here.

It's nice to see someone who actually gets it, rather than the guinea pigs going meep, meep, microtransactions are good.

Nex (Cash Shop) / Aurum - removing sand from the sandbox since Incarna. Currently the only use for aurum is to buy virtual items in the in-game store, but Cockerill expects to expand its uses in the future.

Previous page12