These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
Previous page123Next page

This is not 2006..

First post
Author
YuuKnow
The Scope
#21 - 2012-12-06 11:52:47 UTC
Don't use those free skill points for at least 1 year as you re-learn what you want to do in the game. Test things out and fly around. After a year when you know what goings to be fun for you for the longer terms invest the SPs.

yk
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#22 - 2012-12-06 12:07:17 UTC
Thanks for that, I'd almost spent them yesterday evening after re-activating, but decided against it just in time!
JC Anderson
RED ROSE THORN
#23 - 2012-12-06 12:11:11 UTC  |  Edited by: JC Anderson
Arthur Dayn wrote:
So. I've decided to re-activate my old account from 2006, and I remember....absolutely nothing!

I've got a 2.5m SP character, apparently flying a Hoarder in the Heimatar system. I've also got roughly 700k SP that I can distribute, probably because it looks like some old skills are non-existent nowadays? Finally, I've got 3 respecs for my attributes, if that's even remotely important in 2012.

Would you fine people advise me to continue playing this toon, or do new characters have boons that outweigh the above?

Thanks!

When they removed learning skills from the game, they reimbursed everybody with the skillpoints that they had invested in them.

Edit: Just noticed somebody else mentioned this already earlier in the thread.
witchking42
Doomheim
#24 - 2012-12-06 12:11:16 UTC
Welcome back, be careful with your SP's - have a long look at what direction you want to go, and apply accordingly.

wk
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#25 - 2012-12-06 15:23:25 UTC
Seeing that I've got the option to do a respec of my attributes (actually, I've got 3 respecs?), would I benefit from changing something?

Int: 21
Per: 22
Char: 18
Will: 19
Mem: 19
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#26 - 2012-12-06 15:26:41 UTC
Keep the old character, so people think you're more experienced and have more SP than you do.

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Stitcher
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-12-06 15:29:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Stitcher
Your attributes determine how many skill points you get per minute. Each skill has a primary and secondary attribute attached to it.

You accumulate skill points in a given skill at a rate of Primary + (Secondary / 2) SP per minute.

So, whether you respec, and where you move the points to again depends on which field you're planning to specialize in.

That looks like a not-bad array for now, so I'd leave things as they are until you've settled on a skill training plan and committed to it.

however, I'd recommend you put your free SP into cybernetics, as that skill will allow you to fit implants which boost your core attributes without having to respec, which in turn will increase the rate at which you accumulate other skills.

Welcome back! If you need a corporation, Re-Awakened Techologies is hiring.

AKA Hambone

Author of The Deathworlders

Jame Jarl Retief
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#28 - 2012-12-06 15:44:57 UTC
ihcn wrote:
You would gain absolutely nothing by starting a new character.

Well, that's not entirely true. He could start a new character, and make it a female Achura, and buy some hot pants for AUR. Couldn't do that in 2006... :P
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#29 - 2012-12-06 15:51:37 UTC  |  Edited by: Arthur Dayn
Thanks, I'll leave the attributes for what they are for now, and read a bit about Cybernetics!
TheBlueMonkey
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#30 - 2012-12-06 15:58:50 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Don't put that loose SP into industry crap.

And just how do you suppose carriers and dreads are built?

By shooting at the minerals?Lol

I don't know anyone who builds capitals by mining for the minerals, just saying.
Bane Necran
Appono Astos
#31 - 2012-12-06 16:01:28 UTC
TheBlueMonkey wrote:
I don't know anyone who builds capitals by mining for the minerals, just saying.

Because they buy all their minerals in hisec, and use the time they save plotting ways to kill miners in hisec. Straight

"In the void is virtue, and no evil. Wisdom has existence, principle has existence, the Way has existence, spirit is nothingness." ~Miyamoto Musashi

Asuri Kinnes
Perkone
Caldari State
#32 - 2012-12-06 16:03:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Asuri Kinnes
Arthur Dayn wrote:
Thanks everyone.

I'll do some reading today and check out my skill planning tonight.

First priority is finding a nice Corp, and I'll do some mining to re-learn the UI and mechanics (safest way I presume). Probably need to insure my Hoarder, as I don't have that much ISK to fiddle around with and I noticed that it's not insured ;)

With regards to my skills: it's the basic stuff after quickly looking yesterday evening. Gunnery, Frigate (so I could fly a Hoarder/Mammoth), Shields, etc.

I would highly recommend doing the tutorials if you still can. You get isk/ships/skills.

GL and Welcome back.
Arthur Dayn wrote:
Seeing that I've got the option to do a respec of my attributes (actually, I've got 3 respecs?), would I benefit from changing something?

Int: 21
Per: 22
Char: 18
Will: 19
Mem: 19

Eve-Mon is quite good for messing about and planning your skill training.
Battle Clinic's link to Eve-Mon download.
It will also allow you to check out different remap options (when I do this, what happens?) etc.,

GL

Bob is the god of Wormholes.

That's all you need to know.

Jenn aSide
Soul Machines
The Initiative.
#33 - 2012-12-06 16:04:41 UTC
TheBlueMonkey wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Don't put that loose SP into industry crap.

And just how do you suppose carriers and dreads are built?

By shooting at the minerals?Lol

I knew a dude when I was in the original Atlas who mined all the minerals solo (with several alts) for a titan just to prove he could. Took a long long time but he did it, then he quit eve for that damn Tanks game lol.
Usagi Toshiro
Null Tax Crew
#34 - 2012-12-06 17:21:51 UTC
When I last re-subbed after a long sabbatical recently I knew I wanted a shift in my game play. I had spent all of my EVE career doing PvE missions and mining in high sec. I wanted to try PVP and eventually low sec. I landed in RvB a short while back and have had fun since.

A lot has change since we started in 2006. My advice would be start this character training on ship/gunnery skills which will be useful for PvE and PvP and then check out the website, dev blogs and other media to get a feel for the current state of things and then chose your path.

Cheers!

Trolls are like stray cats. If you feed them they multiply. Please do not  feed the trolls.

YoYo NickyYo
Doomheim
#35 - 2012-12-06 17:45:49 UTC
Arthur Dayn wrote:
So. I've decided to re-activate my old account from 2006, and I remember....absolutely nothing!

I've got a 2.5m SP character, apparently flying a Hoarder in the Heimatar system. I've also got roughly 700k SP that I can distribute, probably because it looks like some old skills are non-existent nowadays? Finally, I've got 3 respecs for my attributes, if that's even remotely important in 2012.

Would you fine people advise me to continue playing this toon, or do new characters have boons that outweigh the above?

Thanks!

Sell it and cash out.....Lol

I am not, nor will I ever be...Nicky Yo.... The question you should ask is.....When will they release the NICKY!

Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#36 - 2012-12-06 19:40:37 UTC
Like someone would want to buy a 2.5m SP character? ;)
YuuKnow
The Scope
#37 - 2012-12-07 02:38:52 UTC
Arthur Dayn wrote:
Thanks for that, I'd almost spent them yesterday evening after re-activating, but decided against it just in time!

I had the same experience. I played from 2003-2005 and then took a 6 year break from the game and came back in 2011. In the span on 1 year I went from Mission Runner to hard-core trader to Incursion runner now to WHs and low sec roamer all in 12 months.

It will take some experimenting to tell what will be fun for you now, don't be in a rush. Take your time and the SP will be there when your certain. Otherwise just traditional train as you go.

yk
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#38 - 2012-12-07 09:19:26 UTC
Alright, I've done some reading and will go ahead and do some mining to re-learn the mechanics a bit.

I'm about to purchase a Cruiser (Osprey) and equip it with 3 Mining II lasers. But what on earth do I need to equip it with, for defense against 0.6/0.8 pirates?
MotherMoon
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#39 - 2012-12-07 09:25:14 UTC
come to factional warfare! DO IT

or join eve university!

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1206/scimi.jpg

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#40 - 2012-12-07 09:27:14 UTC
If I tell the OP to specialize in Gallente blaster boats would that be considered trolling?
Previous page123Next page