These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next page

This is not 2006..

First post
Author
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#1 - 2012-12-06 10:01:33 UTC
So. I've decided to re-activate my old account from 2006, and I remember....absolutely nothing!

I've got a 2.5m SP character, apparently flying a Hoarder in the Heimatar system. I've also got roughly 700k SP that I can distribute, probably because it looks like some old skills are non-existent nowadays? Finally, I've got 3 respecs for my attributes, if that's even remotely important in 2012.

Would you fine people advise me to continue playing this toon, or do new characters have boons that outweigh the above?

Thanks!
ihcn
Life. Universe. Everything.
#2 - 2012-12-06 10:08:54 UTC
You would gain absolutely nothing by starting a new character.
Alara IonStorm
#3 - 2012-12-06 10:10:07 UTC
Keep this character for sure.

Nothing a new character doesn't get you except having to retrain your core skills. Remaps are still valuable and the SP you can Allocate comes from the removal of Learning Skills. Those attributes have been folded in so you train faster now.
Destiny Corrupted
Deadly Viper Kitten Mitten Sewing Company
Senpai's Afterschool Anime and Gaming Club
#4 - 2012-12-06 10:10:18 UTC
Don't put that loose SP into industry crap.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

https://truestories.eveonline.com/users/2074-destiny-corrupted

Esha Ditrix
#5 - 2012-12-06 10:10:35 UTC
W/B

and unless hes skilled horror bad in regards to what u whant to do in EVE, i cant se why not to continue on this toon.
and yes ur right, the "learning skills" have been removed, and u have been given the xp back.

Its not an exploit, if the game lets you do it...

Frying Doom
#6 - 2012-12-06 10:12:22 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Don't put that loose SP into industry crap.

And just how do you suppose carriers and dreads are built?

By shooting at the minerals?Lol

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

CCP Falcon
#7 - 2012-12-06 10:21:20 UTC

Welcome back! Big smile

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

CCP Eterne
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2012-12-06 10:25:33 UTC
I have deleted some racist language from this thread.

EVE Online/DUST 514 Community Representative ※ EVE Illuminati ※ Fiction Adept

@CCP_Eterne ※ @EVE_LiveEvents

Esha Ditrix
#9 - 2012-12-06 10:26:06 UTC
CCP Falcon wrote:

Welcome back! Big smile

awww, how cute,
ur first day back, and u alrdy got falcon-punched <3

Its not an exploit, if the game lets you do it...

ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-12-06 10:26:34 UTC
aye im not sure if you can re-activate the training missions... maybe use a spare toon slot on your account to run through them :) they should at least let you hit the ground running...

No Worries

Destiny Corrupted
#11 - 2012-12-06 10:26:50 UTC
Frying Doom wrote:
No but nor do they need to head straight for pew pew

Maybe he should redo the agent missions, especially with the cash they give now, and then decide

All new players should head directly into pvp, even if they don't plan to actually seek combat often, because it will build up a proper mentality that will ensure that they'll become long-term players. It's much more difficult to demoralize a player who was exposed to the sense of loss early on, than a player who wasn't, and spent a long time accumulating a modest wealth, only to lose it all to a single ganker/scammer/ninja salvager etc.

Everyone needs money, but money should be a means to an end, not the end itself. Just because I recommend that he should train pvp stuff right away doesn't mean he's always going to be a pauper. Skills useful for pvp overlap with skils useful for NPC combat content, like the missions you mentioned.

I wrote some true EVE stories! And no, they're not of the generic "my 0.0 alliance had lots of 0.0 fleets and took a lot of 0.0 space" sort. Check them out here:

Benny Ohu
Chaotic Tranquility
#12 - 2012-12-06 10:33:38 UTC
be warned that in the last six years new eden was overrun by alien mind slugs

all hail the slimy overlords
Destiny Corrupted
#13 - 2012-12-06 10:37:18 UTC
Benny Ohu wrote:
be warned that in the last six years new eden was overrun by alien mind slugs

all hail the slimy overlords

What a terrible thing to say about Soundwave and Greyscale. Sad

Rordan D'Kherr
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-12-06 10:37:33 UTC
Continue to play this toon and try out more than one aspect of EvE straight from the beginning! Look into pvp, pve, industry, trade etc. - maybe attend to an apprenticeship (eve univerity or else). That's my advice.

Don't be scared, because being afk is not a crime.

Frying Doom
#15 - 2012-12-06 10:49:26 UTC
Destiny Corrupted wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:
No but nor do they need to head straight for pew pew

Maybe he should redo the agent missions, especially with the cash they give now, and then decide

All new players should head directly into pvp, even if they don't plan to actually seek combat often, because it will build up a proper mentality that will ensure that they'll become long-term players. It's much more difficult to demoralize a player who was exposed to the sense of loss early on, than a player who wasn't, and spent a long time accumulating a modest wealth, only to lose it all to a single ganker/scammer/ninja salvager etc.

Everyone needs money, but money should be a means to an end, not the end itself. Just because I recommend that he should train pvp stuff right away doesn't mean he's always going to be a pauper. Skills useful for pvp overlap with skils useful for NPC combat content, like the missions you mentioned.

Yeah the missisons I mentioned, well at least they are now not as mind numbing.

Missions now with 25% less mind numbing Lol

But I preferred my way I did industry got rich enough then did PvP and saw how those poor destitute people lived.

They had to worry about loosing a few hundred mills worth of ships and I didnt have to care. Nor was i hiding behind a SRP

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#16 - 2012-12-06 10:49:53 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarvos Telesto
Welcome back, take EvE easy, dont rush, think twice before distribute free SP, here a lot changes, and new stuf.

Fly safe.

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

CCP Soundwave
C C P
C C P Alliance
#17 - 2012-12-06 10:57:46 UTC
Hey dude, welcome back.
Doddy
Excidium.
#18 - 2012-12-06 11:02:36 UTC
Starting a new char is essentially pointless, new players have very little sp and you can probably do the nooby things if you wish (tutorial missions, sisters arc). You have more sp to allocate than a new char has total.
Arthur Dayn
Subsidy H.R.S.
Xagenic Freymvork
#19 - 2012-12-06 11:10:46 UTC
Thanks everyone.

I'll do some reading today and check out my skill planning tonight.

First priority is finding a nice Corp, and I'll do some mining to re-learn the UI and mechanics (safest way I presume). Probably need to insure my Hoarder, as I don't have that much ISK to fiddle around with and I noticed that it's not insured ;)

With regards to my skills: it's the basic stuff after quickly looking yesterday evening. Gunnery, Frigate (so I could fly a Hoarder/Mammoth), Shields, etc.
Turelus
Utassi Security
#20 - 2012-12-06 11:15:35 UTC
Check out the new rookie missions! They give away lots of free ships skills and items.
http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Career_Agents

Turelus CEO Utassi Security

123Next page