These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Technology Lab

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

The future of Data Dumps - Standardization?

First post
Author
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-04 02:08:04 UTC  |  Edited by: Zifrian
Today (before Retribution patch) I'm constantly refreshing the data export site trying to find the data dump for tomorrow's patch. Why? Well I have a program (EVE IPH - link in sig) that a decent number of people use to build items and I really wanted to get a patch ready for tomorrow when I get home from work. This is when the servers should be back up and my users would have the latest data. Most times the patches aren't so game changing that they will have an effect on EVE IPH but ones like this have big changes. We have some new items (salvage drones, mining frigs, micro jump drives, and all the cruiser/destroyer/frig mineral changes) that EVE IPH users will want to see. But not just me, there are at least 20 sites off the top of my head that do something similar to what I have and are mainstays of the EVE industry community.

As I've continued to develop EVE IPH I've tried to add easy ways to update the data so that I can deliver an updated product as soon as I get the data dump. Awhile back, I wrote an updater that I run locally to build my database for EVE IPH and it works pretty well. Not elegant but gets the job done. Everything worked great for several months of patches but two things have changed since then.

1 - The patches seem to make more and more changes or add items that are huge in the industry world. As I said above, all the 3rd party programs we have built as a community are mainstays for industry players that work to get the newest items ready for market. These changes suggest that waiting several days after a patch is too late for the community we support.

2 - The database dump is now going to be switched to YAML but slowly over time when changes are made in house. This in itself is a pain, but I think we are fine with it overall. The problem though is that without knowing what changes will come (up until now there have been minor fields replaced that I just comment out of the update because I don't use them), we won't be able to prepare our programs for updates. For instance, if you intend on making a very large switch of data to YAML that affects say killboard data or industry data, those 3rd party programs will be down for some time until they can get the data fixed or some nice dev rebuilds the data for us and posts it for download.

These 2 changes really are making it harder to maintain my program. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Not to mention that sometimes the data dump comes out and it has missing data then takes a few days to get another update. One of the great things about EVE for me as been the ability to build a program that helps the players have an easier time doing industry, and thus add to their overall enjoyment. It's also been fun just to develop. But we are doing this in our spare time. Spending days trying to figure out why the data isn't working when it did last patch isn't really fun. It's also not fun for my users to wait a week till I get time to update my data. I know you really support the 3rd party community, but times I just wonder if this is a "get to it when you can" thing.

Two things I can think of to make this better - 1 - Support the data dump process more formally. Right now it seems like this is a secondary "oh go post this data when you get a chance" job. Outside of the YAML change post, there doesn't seem to be much discussion on it. Either it's me and my lack of familiarity with YAML or it's not as big a deal yet for most of us to care. Also not much real process to knowing when the data is posted or when/how it will be. 2 - Post the data dump 2-3 days before the patch. If the patches are on Tuesdays, any way to get it on the weekend? Or at least the Monday prior? This would go a long way for helping out getting the data out to our users on patch day. Not to mention we have some time to work the YAML changes when they come up.

I'm probably rambling a bit, but the TL;DR - Can we get more support to put up the data dump a day or two before the patch? Can this be a consistent thing that is part of every patch check list so we can count on it?

Thanks!

Maximze your Industry Potential! - Download EVE Isk per Hour!

Import CCP's SDE - EVE SDE Database Builder

Khorkrak
KarmaFleet
Goonswarm Federation
#2 - 2012-12-04 02:41:51 UTC  |  Edited by: Khorkrak
It would be 500% less of a pita if they'd simply post the database patch scripts along with the static data dump. That way all we'd have to do is convert from the Microsoft Transact-SQL dialect to MySQL and PostgreSQL. All of the data inserted, updated etc would be apparent. We'd also have the code for doing these changes nearly ready to go - a few minor tweaks such as replacing the GO statements with semicolons and so on and that's that.

I am so not looking forward to weeding through the data - doing diffs etc and then updating my scaled down versions of the static data dumps in MySQL and PostgreSQL format. Huge waste of my time. But I will do it as I want my project and site to continue on.

Developer of http://www.decloaked.com and http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykb/

Golden Gnu
Lobach Inc.
#3 - 2012-12-04 11:18:32 UTC
Zifrian wrote:

TL;DR - Can we get more support to put up the data dump a day or two before the patch?

+1

Creator of jEveAssets - the asset manager

"Download is the meaning of life, upload is the meaning of intelligent life"

Desmont McCallock
#4 - 2012-12-04 12:08:10 UTC
Would you 3rd party app devs be interested in a tool that will export the SDE from the client's bulkdata folder?
This tool will guarantee that you can have a semi-official SDE (after all bulkdata are the same data the client uses, if you notice the login screen), right after the client patch and you have logged in at least once (so for the client to fetch the bulkdata).
Considering support for MSSQL and MySQL for the beginning.

Thoughts?
Muscaat
EVE Markets
#5 - 2012-12-04 12:16:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Muscaat
Desmont McCallock wrote:
Would you 3rd party app devs be interested in a tool that will export the SDE from the client's bulkdata folder?
This tool will guarantee that you can have a semi-official SDE (after all bulkdata are the same data the client uses, if you notice the login screen), right after the client patch and you have logged in at least once (so for the client to fetch the bulkdata).

Thoughts?

Yes. Very interested indeed! Smile

I did at one point have reverence compiled and working, but that was ages ago, and the database schema was different in annoying little ways (I think just denormalised a little).
Muscaat
EVE Markets
#6 - 2012-12-04 12:30:21 UTC
Apparently the data dump is out, just not linked to from the Community page yet.

https://twitter.com/CCP_PrismX/status/275902721637380097
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#7 - 2012-12-04 12:55:33 UTC
Khorkrak wrote:
It would be 500% less of a pita if they'd simply post the database patch scripts along with the static data dump. That way all we'd have to do is convert from the Microsoft Transact-SQL dialect to MySQL and PostgreSQL. All of the data inserted, updated etc would be apparent. We'd also have the code for doing these changes nearly ready to go - a few minor tweaks such as replacing the GO statements with semicolons and so on and that's that.

I am so not looking forward to weeding through the data - doing diffs etc and then updating my scaled down versions of the static data dumps in MySQL and PostgreSQL format. Huge waste of my time. But I will do it as I want my project and site to continue on.

From the things that I've heard, what we get isn't just a dump of tables. Some of it is munged, through a process to create the tables we get, from different underlying ones.

Makes getting patch files a trifle more complex.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-12-04 13:23:59 UTC
Muscaat wrote:
Apparently the data dump is out, just not linked to from the Community page yet.

Thanks but this is part of what I'm frustrated about. Why do I need to go anywhere else than this forum or the community page to get it? Straight

Cyerus
TEMPLAR.
The Initiative.
#9 - 2012-12-04 14:56:15 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
Muscaat wrote:

Thanks but this is part of what I'm frustrated about. Why do I need to go anywhere else than this forum or the community page to get it? Straight

Simply because it is bigger than that.
As explained in this post in a somewhat similar topic, the community is bigger than just the Tech Lab forums and Community page.

Quote:
You can also join the irc channel '#eve-dev' on irc network 'coldfront' (irc.coldfront.net), note that this channel is not an official CCP channel, but a community driven channel helping out anyone with challenging technical questions regarding the toolkit and EVE in general.

Even the Community Toolkit page itself holds an invitation to the IRC channel. It's your loss if you aren't using all means available.
Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#10 - 2012-12-04 15:11:06 UTC
Cyerus wrote:
Zifrian wrote:
Muscaat wrote:

Simply because it is bigger than that.
As explained in this post in a somewhat similar topic, the community is bigger than just the Tech Lab forums and Community page.

Quote:
You can also join the irc channel '#eve-dev' on irc network 'coldfront' (irc.coldfront.net), note that this channel is not an official CCP channel, but a community driven channel helping out anyone with challenging technical questions regarding the toolkit and EVE in general.

Even the Community Toolkit page itself holds an invitation to the IRC channel. It's your loss if you aren't using all means available.

Where do I go to download the data? The community page. Why is it posted through a twitter feed then? If it's available, why hasn't it been updated to the community page?

It's not standardized and that's the whole point of this post.

Cyerus
TEMPLAR.
The Initiative.
#11 - 2012-12-04 15:35:16 UTC
And I'm saying you can't standardize (spelling? dunno) this much more.
Anyways, Fuzzysteve on IRC just released his MySQL package, uploaded on eve-files.com.

Hugs to him.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1212/mysql-retribution-1.0-82596.dmp.zip
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#12 - 2012-12-04 15:50:14 UTC
Cyerus wrote:
Anyways, Fuzzysteve on IRC just released his MySQL package, uploaded on eve-files.com.

Hugs to him.

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/1212/mysql-retribution-1.0-82596.dmp.zip

I'll get it up on my site properly, when it's stopped being lazy and sleeping. Along with at least a sqllite conversion and xls/csv extracts. possibly a postgres conversion too, as I'm more comfortable there now.

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Dei
Cosmic Core Industries
#13 - 2012-12-04 17:09:32 UTC
Cyerus wrote:

I find that ridiculous. If one part of the process is left out then it's not standardised, is it? The part that is left out is made redundant and never used so it might as well not even be there in the first place. It might as well say, "Join IRC or wait until someone can be bothered to post it on the forums for the rest of you losers."
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#14 - 2012-12-05 20:41:07 UTC
Desmont McCallock wrote:

Thoughts?

This seems like a no-brainer to me, then we aren't reliant on CCP getting the proper SDE out, and can even have stuff prepped from the test server before launch.

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Zifrian
Federal Defense Union
Gallente Federation
#15 - 2012-12-05 20:50:06 UTC
Desmont McCallock wrote:

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in this as long as it's not a heavy lift. You think it would work on the test server data if we were to log in there as well? I'm assuming it's all the same and we could potentially (assuming no last minute changes) get the data early.

Dei
Cosmic Core Industries
#16 - 2012-12-05 21:19:20 UTC
Shouldn't this be a CSM issue to bring to CCP's doors? It doesn't seem right to be hacking away at the metadata in our own clients to get the data that CCP promised they would give us.
Desmont McCallock
#17 - 2012-12-05 21:52:40 UTC
Zifrian wrote:
Desmont McCallock wrote:

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in this as long as it's not a heavy lift. You think it would work on the test server data if we were to log in there as well? I'm assuming it's all the same and we could potentially (assuming no last minute changes) get the data early.

This could be configurable. And yes, CSM should definitely have a saying over this. Without SDE -> no 3rd party apps -> EVE Armageddon.

What I have to point out here though is that this SDE extractor will be a Windows based app. I'll try to have it Mono compatible (I can't promise that though). I just hope that Wine will be cooperative to it.
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#18 - 2012-12-05 22:22:25 UTC
Dei wrote:
Shouldn't this be a CSM issue to bring to CCP's doors? It doesn't seem right to be hacking away at the metadata in our own clients to get the data that CCP promised they would give us.

Perhaps you didn't see that pretty little banner over there
< -------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bring this sort of thing up with CCP pretty regularly. Producing the SDE should be part of the release process, and shouldn't be something added on at the end

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Dei
Cosmic Core Industries
#19 - 2012-12-05 22:49:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Dei
Hmm, what was their response? I don't see anything in the last minutes or the previous one. Considering there are a few key third party apps that are integral to the community, you would've thought CCP would prioritise keeping their unpaid developers happy.

I mean this is from the meetings in May/June:

Quote:
CCP Explorer mentioned EVE Gate as a potential place to house these controls, but UAxDEATH was
concerned with the fact that the corporate UI was already pretty poor, and that third party tools
would allow players to come up with something better.

Two step explained that from what he has seen, the folks working on the CREST project are mostly
preoccupied getting Dust 514 integration ready, and that this may be the reason we haven't seen
any beta versions of the new CREST system for EVE Online itself.

CCP Unifex responded by saying that a dev blog was in the works regarding this matter.

Where the hell is this blog post? Why has the dev team been moved off Eve to a different project, and why are they using their dev time reinventing third party tools? You need to give them a giant kick up the arse! Nothing has changed for 6 months! You need to start shaking the tree until PrismX falls down so you can poke him with a stick until he gives in.
Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
#20 - 2012-12-05 23:13:08 UTC
Dei wrote:
Hmm, what was their response? I don't see anything in the last minutes or the previous one. Considering there are a few key third party apps that are integral to the community, you would've thought CCP would prioritise keeping their unpaid developers happy.

I mean this is from the meetings in May/June:

Quote:
CCP Explorer mentioned EVE Gate as a potential place to house these controls, but UAxDEATH was
concerned with the fact that the corporate UI was already pretty poor, and that third party tools
would allow players to come up with something better.

Two step explained that from what he has seen, the folks working on the CREST project are mostly
preoccupied getting Dust 514 integration ready, and that this may be the reason we haven't seen
any beta versions of the new CREST system for EVE Online itself.

CCP Unifex responded by saying that a dev blog was in the works regarding this matter.

Where the hell is this blog post? Why has the dev team been moved off Eve to a different project, and why are they using their dev time reinventing third party tools? You need to give them a giant kick up the arse! Nothing has changed for 6 months! You need to start shaking the tree until PrismX falls down so you can poke him with a stick until he gives in.

I don't think you quite get it.

Dust and Eve, from a CREST perspective, aren't hugely different. They're the same backend. Stuff like mail is /identical/ (or near as damn)

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

12Next page