These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Remove AURUM thread. No to microtransactions.

Author
Radix Salvilines
Drunken Vikings Crusaders
#1 - 2011-10-21 21:52:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Radix Salvilines
EDIT: The thread is not about removing the clothes store - itys about removing AURUM and placing ISK prices

As everything seems to be going in the good direction I think there is one last thing CCP has to do to clean up the bad image it managed to develop recently.

REMOVE AURUM

This one is really bad. It is like a thorn in a finger. It does not allow me to get immersed in the world of EVE - I still get the feeling that all this show with "CCP starting to listen to players" is just a show to raise sub numbers. That it is not a "return to old values and visions" - it is all about profit again.
Now I know that some may say that it's what the companies are about - making profit. I tend to disagree... or at least I think THIS company also has a vision, a goal. Or is "the need to profit" the only thing left really?

I joined up back in 2005 - there was a one comfortable subscription plan and the promise to always get all the features. One fee - access to everything on equal terms. I always happily payed this fee because CCP employes were doing a honest and good job of entertaining me. This concept became endangered when CCP came up with the idea of EVE Voice - something that was supposed to be a feature for which we would have to pay extra money.
I watched carefuly and considered quitting but stayed when it was decided that it will get included into normal subscription plan.

Now came the AURUM. And it did what the EVE Voice almost did - destroyed the comfort of being in this elite club. We are no longer the PLAYERS - the other important side in the developement of the game - we became the COWS to be milked. I took part in the Jita uprising and then quit the game.

I am back now because of the recent..."show". I really want to play this game and pay a monthly sub until i get old and die. But the NEX store is still there. AURUM is still there. And it is pointing out its finger at me and laughing. At us...

Why microtransactions? Why P2W or P2P? These are not the attributes of a MMO whose player base is growing up!! It happens when the game is dying FFS... Do not tell us pretty stories about changing market, we are not stupid. Pretty stories lead to subscription numbers drops in EVE. Only intelligent people (okay lets say mostly) play EVE. We dont buy it. Your playerbase have more IQ than any other MMO - this is your advantage that will keep you going where others will collapse.

So please get rid of this AURUM crap. Change everything to ISK and focus on what you are best at... you guys at CCP. At your vision... and you will always have us players backing you up with all of our hearts... and subscriptions...

What say you?
Blastier
#2 - 2011-10-21 21:53:09 UTC
I just got a lot of free Aurum...so
Obsidian Hawk
RONA Midgard Academy
RONA Directorate
#3 - 2011-10-21 21:54:31 UTC
but i like my Oden occular implant.

Why Can't I have a picture signature.

Also please support graphical immersion, bring back the art that brought people to EvE online originaly.

mkint
#4 - 2011-10-21 22:08:55 UTC
Blastier wrote:
I just got a lot of free Aurum...so

It wasn't free. Players had to go out and earn good boy points.

Also, it wasn't even a reward. It was a scam to get people to buy more AUR.

Double scam!

Also, while I agree with the OP that it's tacky and a disgusting unnecessary addition to EVE, it could/should have been handled the same way the EVE Store is handled... discreetly.

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2011-10-21 22:17:29 UTC  |  Edited by: Bischopt
I always respected CCP for being original and different. The sandbox of EVE is the coolest thing in online gaming imo.
The moment AUR was introduced I lost almost all of that respect I had for CCP. AUR doesnt belong in the sandbox and it definitely doesnt belong in a subscription based game.

Now, Hilmar has said that this is the direction the industry is going into and that CCP must keep up which is why AUR and MT is so important. Maybe he really does believe that and it's not just an excuse, but CCP used to be original and they used to be different.
They should be that way right now and get AURUM the h*** out of EVE as soon as possible. This is their last chance. It's not too late just yet.

I dont know about everyone else but ever since this MT business started I havent looked forward to the next alliance tournament or the next fanfest. I'm no longer proud to be an EVE player instead of being the player of just another MMO because EVE is not that different anymore. Kind of like noticing someone original and deep has suddenly become just another boring a**hole.
non judgement
Without Fear
Flying Burning Ships Alliance
#6 - 2011-10-21 22:17:59 UTC
Isn't Aurum going to be used when Dust comes in, as in the thing we pay the Dust soldiers to do things for us?
mkint
#7 - 2011-10-21 22:23:22 UTC
non judgement wrote:
Isn't Aurum going to be used when Dust comes in, as in the thing we pay the Dust soldiers to do things for us?

gawd I hope not. We'll have to pay our own subs and their subs too?

Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to enough of it.

Thebriwan
LUX Uls Xystus
#8 - 2011-10-21 22:28:02 UTC
Why ohhh why. Trolls in the EvE-O-Forum.

Just to stick something in your big, ugly, slimy nose:

JUST NO!

If you don't like it just don't use it.

Nuff said.
Bischopt
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#9 - 2011-10-21 22:36:01 UTC
Thebriwan wrote:

JUST NO!

Nuff said.

If there was a demon perched above my bed I would most definitely want to get rid of it instead of just ignoring it.
And by this I mean, when something really sucks, it's much better to remove it than just let hang around and pretend it's not there.
The Apostle
Doomheim
#10 - 2011-10-21 22:40:20 UTC
Bischopt wrote:
Thebriwan wrote:

JUST NO!

Nuff said.

If there was a demon perched above my bed I would most definitely want to get rid of it instead of just ignoring it.
And by this I mean, when something really sucks, it's much better to remove it than just let hang around and pretend it's not there.

Aurum. Demons... Guffaw.

Think you guys need to relax a little. You're chasing shadows.

[i]Take an aspirin. If pain persists consult your local priest. WTB: An Austrian kangaroo![/i]

Written Word
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#11 - 2011-10-21 23:27:50 UTC
Stop making these threads

You won't convince a company that fired twenty percent of their staff to make less money
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#12 - 2011-10-21 23:41:07 UTC
Since the price of... well... everything is going up, and since CCP will need to earn more income at "some" point (evidently now) we'll all be sure to thank you when necessity forces CCP to raise all of our subscription prices instead.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Apollo Gabriel
Mercatoris
#13 - 2011-10-21 23:42:30 UTC
If NO one uses AURUM, then who cares if it is in the game.

If however you want Nex items in exchange for killing rats, you can get them, convert PLEX.

What's the issue?

Honestly it is better to leave AURUM in the game, there is a much higher chance for it to be ignored this way.
Always ... Never ... Forget to check your references.   Peace out Zulu! Hope you land well!
Bootleg Jack
ACME Mineral and Gas
#14 - 2011-10-21 23:52:56 UTC
Forget Aur, who cares it affects nothing.

Remove PLEX, PLEX is Pay 2 WinCry

I'm an American, English is my second language...

ACE McFACE
Dirt 'n' Glitter
Local Is Primary
#15 - 2011-10-21 23:54:23 UTC
But I like my shirt, and goggles but thats on a different jump clone.

Now, more than ever, we need a dislike button.

Diomedes Calypso
Aetolian Armada
#16 - 2011-10-22 00:16:39 UTC
The Aurum actually is a great way to allow people who don't like MTs to access content sold via MT

on that basis I very much like the Aurum

as for MTs I do believe they are necessary for the company to begin to understand well and only by experimentation will they get good at it.

What they really need though is to rid their corporate culture from what I see as an ingrained all or nothing tendancy. Certainly they make compromises yet so often even the compromises seem to be contrived to give extremists sacred cows, rathter than the extremists trying to dream themselves of smooth ways to get the general nature of what they're hoping for.

MTs are not something they need to FLEECE out of customers. To get ONE customer to do something , you don't need to push all customers that way. New features don't need all players interested in them.

They should start by seeing how much they can sell that will have no effect whatsoever on the average person's game and resist the urge that they had to make the MT things useful.

Once they've got in the habit of selling useless things for money.. they might put a step towards paying to make it easier to get what other players earn through game play. If they're sell a right to double your next so many points earned, not sell the points directly. etc. I thought the selling of remaps was a fine prospect that could have been made far more agreeable to other players if it was limmited to once a year...

Audrey Antollare
Friendship is Podding
Test Alliance Please Ignore
#17 - 2011-10-22 07:34:05 UTC
I like Aurum, I don't want it removed. You can buy most microtransaction items for isk anyway and it has zero effect on gameplay.
Dong Yi
Gravelord Servants
#18 - 2011-10-22 07:37:18 UTC
I don't see how the addition of aurum affects you in any way. CCP has stated that they will not sell gameplay changing items through the store. If you want to spend money on ship paint or a new set of clothes, I think that's perfectly fine.

The entire MMO industry is moving towards this kind of business model and there's no reason CCP shouldn't at least get its feet wet.
Stan Smith
Ixian Machines
#19 - 2011-10-22 07:47:41 UTC
Dong Yi wrote:
I don't see how the addition of aurum affects you in any way. CCP has stated that they will not sell gameplay changing items through the store. If you want to spend money on ship paint or a new set of clothes, I think that's perfectly fine.

we must remember, ccp said a bit more than a year ago, that they would never implement microtransactions, so take everything ccp says with 2.5 grains of salt

☻/ /▌ / \ This is Bob, post him into your forum sig and help him conquer the forums.

DeMichael Crimson
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#20 - 2011-10-22 08:07:25 UTC
OMG....ISK....PLEX.....Aurum....NEX Store.....BFD

In other words......

Please, for the love of everything that's unholy.......quit beating this up and give it a rest.

12Next page