These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Player Features and Ideas Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

DPS counter

Author
Solutio Letum
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-12-04 00:44:38 UTC
why not instead of showing damage not for your damage you just alpha'd
show a count somewhere of the average dps being shot out, has a speed, highest and lowest and average being separate and reset able, also maybe have a history and record bar just for fun (per ship?)

this would help noobs understand how damage works, and show peeps how much damage there doing, and if what there trying makes a different

id like to stick this with a damage taken per second bar, including same specs, top average lowest, reset able with maybe easy to see history has the last with record.... this again should help pple.. .allot.. i think

maybe its to much user friendly for ever some would think but i personally find the damage notification completly useless, ether then when im in a sniping ship or smashing a POS... or trying to find the rigth damage to use OFC, but making it friendly in other ways then when you are doing boring stuff (long figths) would be awesome.

Thanks for reading
Solutio
Kitt JT
True North.
#2 - 2012-12-04 01:36:09 UTC
there ------> they're
ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#3 - 2012-12-04 02:10:58 UTC
DPS is already listed in the fitting screen.
Solutio Letum
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-12-04 02:22:36 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:

so you think its true dps? first off true dps can be calculated with these logs, true dps has calculated the resistance filter, guns missing because of tracking need, general speed of target for missiles, falloff damage decrees, size of target damage resistance, and more, your dps is NOT and will never be based of of this number

mostly T2 missiles dont even do more damage then the T1/faction because they need a bigger and slower target, has an example
Aravinth
Lithium Financial and Exploration
#5 - 2012-12-04 02:23:00 UTC
Quote:
Solutio

If you hit ctrl+f, it will bring up a FPS monitor. Something like this translated with a active dps graph (instead of fps) and maybe a log to display your last few alphas. A pull down menu that allows you to swap between weapon systems, Guns // Drones // Total :: Missiles // Drones // Total ... ect.

I like numbers so this would be fun to watch whilst bored and burning things.

-Ara
Dori Tos
Doomheim
#6 - 2012-12-04 06:34:58 UTC
Only YOU should be able to see your dps,no fleet top 10 crap,because many people would start flying like morons just to be dat #1.

then if it can be done properly and without adding additional load to the servers,I'm for it.

I'm delicious.

ShahFluffers
Ice Fire Warriors
#7 - 2012-12-04 07:27:09 UTC
Solutio Letum wrote:
ShahFluffers wrote:

so you think its true dps? first off true dps can be calculated with these logs, true dps has calculated the resistance filter, guns missing because of tracking need, general speed of target for missiles, falloff damage decrees, size of target damage resistance, and more, your dps is NOT and will never be based of of this number

mostly T2 missiles dont even do more damage then the T1/faction because they need a bigger and slower target, has an example

The thing is... you can never calculate the "true" DPS because everyone's speed, resistances, and trajectory will be different and/or changing as the fight occurs. So you'll never get a consistent reading.

TehCloud
Guardians of the Dodixie
#8 - 2012-12-04 10:22:07 UTC
That totally seems like a great Idea and sure won't turn people into drooling retards that only care about their personal DPS.
Who needs to listen to the FC, I'll just shoot on the T1 ship instead of what the rest is shooting, then my DPS is higher than theirs.

Addons that allow you to compare stuff like that turn the community into brainless a... butts!

My Condor costs less than that module!

Seranova Farreach
Biomass Negative
#9 - 2012-12-04 11:40:21 UTC
TehCloud wrote:
That totally seems like a great Idea and sure won't turn people into drooling retards that only care about their personal DPS.
Who needs to listen to the FC, I'll just shoot on the T1 ship instead of what the rest is shooting, then my DPS is higher than theirs.

Addons that allow you to compare stuff like that turn the community into brainless a... butts!

sadly though there is 3rd party progs which can parse dps and total dmg its been used on pos bashes befor.

[u]___________________ http://i.imgur.com/d9Ee2ik.jpg[/u]

Aravinth
Lithium Financial and Exploration
#10 - 2012-12-04 13:55:59 UTC
ShahFluffers wrote:
The thing is... you can never calculate the "true" DPS because everyone's speed, resistances, and trajectory will be different and/or changing as the fight occurs. So you'll never get a consistent reading.

Nah, just pull the numbers from the log put them over time (seconds in our case) and boom, DPS. Separate them out to give you some options ect. The game is already calculating FPS the same way, frames/seconds.

-Ara
Buzzy Warstl
Quantum Flux Foundry
#11 - 2012-12-04 14:05:34 UTC  |  Edited by: Buzzy Warstl
You already have combat logs, go ahead and do the analyses.

It doesn't have to be in the client to be useful, and that way not everyone will have it so it's an advantage for you.

http://www.mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm Richard Bartle: Players who suit MUDs