These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Ships & Modules

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Greenhorn asking for a few pointers

Author
Dragcos Heilos
Nomadic Falconry League
#1 - 2011-10-21 20:04:53 UTC
Hello. Like most Caldari podders I took to flying a Drake to do missions for the navy, support my home spacee ya'know? Now I like to hunt Pirates in my off time as a good sport and do so with gusto. I ended up taking up flying the Amarr Harbinger for the simple reason I could go on hunts and have alot more cargo space for the junk thats left behind, I have not skilled up in Amarr weapon system or hull systems that much and am finding I like the way this ship handles.
My question is could one do the same basic principle for a hybrid tengu? Would it work? Would it be able to run lvl 4 missions by using sheild boosters and hardeners with an afterburner and still have the staying power?
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#2 - 2011-10-21 20:44:15 UTC
Dragcos Heilos wrote:
My question is could one do the same basic principle for a hybrid tengu? Would it work? Would it be able to run lvl 4 missions by using sheild boosters and hardeners with an afterburner and still have the staying power?

Unfortunately, there's no possible way to get decent damage out of a rail Tengu. A heavy missile Tengu is going to push out almost twice as much damage, have better range, and won't use cap to do damage. A blaster fit will almost compete on damage, but at ranges so small as to be laughable. The latter also requires the use of a MWD, which kills your ability to sig tank.

Also keep in mind that some of the advantages you see with the Harbinger are specific to lasers. Hybrids, unlike lasers, use ammunition. Lasers also have much better medium range options that deliver decent damage.

For the record, these are the fits I'm considering when talking about rail and blaster fits:

[Tengu, hybrids pve lol]
Magnetic Field Stabilizer II
Tracking Enhancer II

Republic Fleet 10MN Afterburner
Pithi B-Type Small Shield Booster
Shield Boost Amplifier II
Heat Dissipation Field II
Ballistic Deflection Field II

250mm Railgun II, Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge M

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Tengu Offensive - Magnetic Infusion Basin
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst
Tengu Engineering - Power Core Multiplier
Tengu Electronics - Dissolution Sequencer
Tengu Defensive - Amplification Node

[Tengu, hybrids pve lol blasers]
Tracking Enhancer II

Corelum A-Type 10MN MicroWarpdrive
Large Capacitor Battery II
Heat Dissipation Field II
Ballistic Deflection Field II

Heavy Neutron Blaster II, Void M

Medium Ancillary Current Router I

Tengu Offensive - Magnetic Infusion Basin
Tengu Propulsion - Gravitational Capacitor
Tengu Engineering - Power Core Multiplier

A typical missile fit Tengu for L4s would look like this:

[Tengu, test]
Caldari Navy Ballistic Control System

Republic Fleet 10MN Afterburner
Invulnerability Field II
Photon Scattering Field II

Heavy Missile Launcher II, Scourge Fury Heavy Missile

Medium Bay Loading Accelerator II
Medium Warhead Rigor Catalyst I

Tengu Offensive - Accelerated Ejection Bay
Tengu Engineering - Augmented Capacitor Reservoir
Tengu Propulsion - Fuel Catalyst

(With argument about the rigs, but that's another story entirely.)
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#3 - 2011-10-22 01:00:37 UTC
Dragcos Heilos wrote:
Hello. Like most Caldari podders I took to flying a Drake to do missions for the navy, support my home spacee ya'know? Now I like to hunt Pirates in my off time as a good sport and do so with gusto. I ended up taking up flying the Amarr Harbinger for the simple reason I could go on hunts and have alot more cargo space for the junk thats left behind, I have not skilled up in Amarr weapon system or hull systems that much and am finding I like the way this ship handles.

wait til the hybrids get a buff this winter expansion then and only then might a rail fit tengu be a viable option

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

Headerman
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2011-10-22 01:04:51 UTC
If you are under 6 months old, i would say stick to Caldari ships for now. The Ferox makes a nice underdog in PVP. It has good tank, can u can surprise a few people with it. You don't have to cross train, so you end up skilling for a Tengu or a Raven or whatever you like.

Trsut me, it is better in the long run to fly just 1 race early on

Australian Fanfest Event https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&find=unread&t=90062

Dragcos Heilos
Nomadic Falconry League
#5 - 2011-10-22 09:27:21 UTC
Thank you for the info Big smile Too bad the tengu isn't great as a gun pod, I guess I will stick with the drake for mission running for now, slowly getting it teched out I have a complex that makes me cross train for shiney's lol
Ruah Piskonit
PIE Inc.
Khimi Harar
#6 - 2011-10-22 23:30:03 UTC
Dragcos Heilos wrote:
Thank you for the info Big smile Too bad the tengu isn't great as a gun pod, I guess I will stick with the drake for mission running for now, slowly getting it teched out I have a complex that makes me cross train for shiney's lol

do not complain about the tengu - ever. It is hands down the best T3 out there and is actually quite frightening to watch in combat. It is the alpha and omega of Caldari missle pvp.

I know it does not conform to your rail dream, but hell, that tengu is wicked.
Kauyon Tash'var
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#7 - 2011-11-20 18:40:39 UTC  |  Edited by: Kauyon Tash'var
Right, I''ve been working on a Tengu Rail fit for sniping at 168km (optimal) .. damage is about 200dps, fairly low, but I just want to breakt the box and try something else.

Now my question is: Why does the Tengu Engineering - Capacitor Renegeration Matrix give more power to the Powergrid than the Tengu Engineering - Power Core Multiplier?

It's roughly 200 units more power with the cap regen sub-mod than the powergrid sub-mod. Why is this? Isn't the latter supposed to give you an increased powergrid, not less?
What is wrong here?
Jarnis McPieksu
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2011-11-20 18:55:10 UTC
Kauyon Tash'var wrote:
Right, I''ve been working on a Tengu Rail fit for sniping at 168km (optimal) .. damage is about 200dps, fairly low, but I just want to breakt the box and try something else.

Now my question is: Why does the Tengu Engineering - Capacitor Renegeration Matrix give more power to the Powergrid than the Tengu Engineering - Power Core Multiplier?

It's roughly 200 units more power with the cap regen sub-mod than the powergrid sub-mod. Why is this? Isn't the latter supposed to give you an increased powergrid, not less?
What is wrong here?

In short: ":ccp:"

T3 ships and subsystems were not exactly well thought out and the dream of "hundreds of potential fit combinations" actually turned out to be 2-4 viable configs per hull.

And as usual, iteration has been... well... I'm not sure if CCP knows the word.

Maybe in Summer expansion, together with the hyped-yet-not-materialized T3 frigs?
Kauyon Tash'var
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#9 - 2011-11-20 19:58:38 UTC
Oh, well then it wasn't just me going mad, but there is actually a badly thought or wrongly created sub-system.

Shame, I'd like to be able to do more variations of the Tengu than just the missile boat of awesomeness that every other damn player uses. It's rather boring to use the same mainstream fitting. I'd like to be able to use Hybrid turrets and maybe snipe from 150km .. I've got one hybrid fit that has an optimal range of 168km .. but the dps is just at 200 and it really doesn't take that much heat. But it's a fun boat against frigates in gangs, but other than that.. doesn't really work.

Would be glad if there would be a change to that sub-system so that it would be usefull rather than just be ignored.
More options equals more fun, more isk spening, more gameplay and more tactics to be employed with the same ships. Wasn't the last part what T3 ships were all about when they were thought of in the first place?

Oh well, shame to be wating another 6 months for an update that's not very likely to happen. :(