These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Freighters for mining ops anyone?

Author
Sisohiv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#41 - 2012-12-01 22:57:21 UTC
Gilbaron wrote:
i would rather pilot my freighter through deep 00 than through niarja

About a year ago I took a Providence freighter to the Genesis New Eden system and had no real anxiety about it. I won't take a freighter in to the Uedama, fish bucket right now either.
Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#42 - 2012-12-01 23:09:46 UTC
Hmmm, could this change freighter ganking? The pilot opts to just jettison their cargo, saving both themselves and the attackers a lot of ISK?

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Oopsy Bear
Doomheim
#43 - 2012-12-01 23:26:29 UTC
Galaxy Pig wrote:
Hmmm, could this change freighter ganking? The pilot opts to just jettison their cargo, saving both themselves and the attackers a lot of ISK?

They already have the fleet there and they were prepared for less than all of your cargo. If you think giving them more loot than they would have received will prevent them from the ultimate lulz of popping you anyway then I have some things to sell you in Jita. All good deals, srsly.
Vaerah Vahrokha
Vahrokh Consulting
#44 - 2012-12-01 23:29:09 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Frostys Virpio wrote:
Lord LazyGhost wrote:
easy orca there for bonus + tractoring in the ans for the frighter to pic up simples

That freighter is equal to a 0 yield pilot. How do you people not get that? You will get more total ore out of an extra barge/exhumer than running a damn freighter.

but IT'S A FREIGHTER!

unless your op is big enough that you're filling an orca faster than it can warp to station, unload cargo, and warp back to belt there's 0 reason to have a freighter in a mining op. also, i hate to break it to them, however there's less ore in a high sec belt than there is cargo space in a freighter.

i've been stripping the same belt almost every day for almost a month or so straight now. depending on whether it's fully respawned or not i get anywhere between 200k-400k m3 of ore, i've never got over 500k m3 from the belt.

Pick better belts Blink
Thor Kerrigan
Guardians of Asceticism
#45 - 2012-12-01 23:56:50 UTC
... But hey, nobody can fly a freighter anyways so the freighter pilot can actually eject into a hulk and switch between them when orca is full.

And like that, there was a boom for the skills "cloaking" and "covert ops".
Tarn Kugisa
Kugisa Dynamics
#46 - 2012-12-02 01:00:34 UTC
Ocih wrote:
Putting up a POS from a freighter or Jump freighter rather than needing to use an Industrial to get the bubble up I suppose.
Prelude to Modular POS?

Finally
POS Set-up just got a whole lot easier

Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to troll everyone you meet - KuroVolt

Mara Pahrdi
The Order of Anoyia
#47 - 2012-12-02 01:49:18 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Pahrdi
Before:

X Hulk alts
1 Orca booster alt
1 Orca tractor and hauling alt

After:

X Hulk alts
1 Orca booster alt
1 Orca tractor alt
1 Freighter hauling alt

+1 for CCP Big smile.

Remove standings and insurance.

Galaxy Pig
New Order Logistics
CODE.
#48 - 2012-12-02 02:43:57 UTC
Oopsy Bear wrote:
Galaxy Pig wrote:

They already have the fleet there and they were prepared for less than all of your cargo. If you think giving them more loot than they would have received will prevent them from the ultimate lulz of popping you anyway then I have some things to sell you in Jita. All good deals, srsly.

First of all, I didnt say I would fall for it, but I also wouldn't autopilot a freighter full of billions around, but it seems like it could work in some scenarios. Also, couldn't they prepare for a freighterfull? What do you mean the fleet is already there? This would be during the bumping them out of gun range phase I would think, convo them and break it down to em like: "You're gonna lose your stuff anyway, might as well keep your freighter." and then blow them up anyway if you want.

Highsec is owned by players now. Systems 0.5-1.0 are New Order Territory. All miners and other residents of Highsec must obey The Code. Mining without a permit is dangerous and harmful to the EVE community. See www.MinerBumping.com

Tarvos Telesto
Blood Fanatics
#49 - 2012-12-02 03:06:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tarvos Telesto
Orca is awesome mining command ship, but come on, why meny of you talk like Orca must have, freighter may be good option for those who dont train orca, ultimate hauler support, you can spent whole day on asteroid belts without bonuses and decent mining amount per cycle but you got ablility just to mining in chill mode up to asteroid belts is empty or freightes is full.

For sure some big mining ops use freighters in futrure, even pilot who got orca got a lot work while support few hulks...
Using freigter as hauler support in asteroid belts is risk due to kamikaze for lulz. but here a lot empty system with low visits in general.

I like this idea it self even here come cons, at last in theory freigters got new roles.

Ps. This should be done long time ago, in my opinion cargo restricion on freightes was a big mistake and make freighter look stupid.

EvE isn't game, its style of living.

LHA Tarawa
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#50 - 2012-12-02 03:29:28 UTC
Mistah Ewedynao wrote:
Can see it happening with big mining corp. Command Ship, Freighter, Orca and a crapload of Hulks. Whole belts cleaned pretty darn quick.

Meh. When we do big mining ops, it becomes exponentially more difficult to keep from shooting the same rocks the more hulks in a single belt. We break up into teams of 3-4 hulks plus an orca, with one orca providing perma boosts. We just have to jet can a minute or so ever 20 mins or so as the team orca runs to station to unload.

I just don't see a freighter being that useful. Put that freighter pilot in a second orca.
Misanth
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE
#51 - 2012-12-02 03:41:15 UTC
LHA Tarawa wrote:
Mistah Ewedynao wrote:
Can see it happening with big mining corp. Command Ship, Freighter, Orca and a crapload of Hulks. Whole belts cleaned pretty darn quick.

Meh. When we do big mining ops, it becomes exponentially more difficult to keep from shooting the same rocks the more hulks in a single belt. We break up into teams of 3-4 hulks plus an orca, with one orca providing perma boosts. We just have to jet can a minute or so ever 20 mins or so as the team orca runs to station to unload.

I just don't see a freighter being that useful. Put that freighter pilot in a second orca.

Ice mining.

AFK-cloaking in a system near you.

Starrakatt
Empire Assault Corp
Dead Terrorists
#52 - 2012-12-02 03:51:14 UTC
The question is not: Is it efficient or NOT?

The question is: Given the possibility to do it, will it happen?

The answer is: YES.
Jason Xado
Doomheim
#53 - 2012-12-02 04:42:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Jason Xado
Nevermind...I was going to say something about Custom Offices, but looks like freighters can already access them.
Mina Sebiestar
Minmatar Inner Space Conglomerate
#54 - 2012-12-02 05:17:23 UTC
I wonder will i will be able to jet ships rdy to use from it(i think they didn't removed wraps) would be sweet all freighters have at least double of space then orca..it could act as larger mobile base etc.

You choke behind a smile a fake behind the fear

Because >>I is too hard

Sarmea Moon
Aliastra
Gallente Federation
#55 - 2012-12-02 05:25:22 UTC
Dave stark wrote:
Sarmea Moon wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

but you're not even gaining quality of life with a freighter. lack of tractor beam, for example. not to mention, other than making yourself open to can flippers, you have nowhere to store all of this ore until it's ready to be collected by the freighter.

You store it in the freighter. Freighter warps to the orca, the orca has tractored the cans, and tractors new ones, if the ships aren't already dumping straight into the orca. You keep mentioning the warping orca, you know, the orca that's providing bonuses? The orca that as soon as it begins to warp, all the hulks in the belt lose their laser locks and current yield because the bonus isn't there anymore? If you are hauling with a second orca, or hauler, they aren't mining either. You have a non-mining pilot not matter what ship you pick to haul. If you want to complain about efficiency, then they wouldn't be stripping the belt in the first place, they'd be mining whatever the 10% best ore was and move to another belt, then another system.

you mean the same bonuses that are only in effect as the lasers start/end their cycle, giving you plenty of time to warp to and from the belt? you only need the links to be on at the start of the cycle to gain their bonuses, and you only need the orca pilot in space at the end of the cycle for the yield bonus. the time between it doesn't matter if the bonuses are on or not.
not to mention, bonuses being down for 1 cycle will cost you less ore than having a pilot idling in a freighter.

Kudos to you. I have never gotten 14 hulks/players to all have their laser begin and end at exactly the same time. Now THAT's organized. Wow, having a pilot down goofing off in a freighter that would otherwise be...... oh yeah, goofing off idling in a hauler or a second orca:P

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse [lady of commercial virtue]. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.- James Nicoll

De'Veldrin
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#56 - 2012-12-02 06:08:08 UTC
The Protato wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
Gilbaron wrote:
tractor beams and bonuses from orca

hauling with freighter

one freighter run equals 6 or 7 orca runs

i still want to know where you're putting all of this ore between freighter loads, in jetcans ripe to be flipped? or are you wasting a perfectly viable mining pilot by having him idling in a freighter all op?

Dave stark wrote:

yeah, warping an orca to and from the station once per belt is really a lot of effort... you'd sacrifice an exhumer pilot to save yourself 1, maybe two warps to and from a belt, per belt?

You seem to have quoted the stats and then made up your own to belittle the cause. Since when was 6 or 7 orca runs "one maybe two warps"?

Also, I'm loving the turnout of miners in GD for once.

Personally I am waiting for the flood of "Buff Freighter EHP so they can be better jetcans, CCP" threads that are sure to follow this development. That will be the amusing part of this change.

De'Veldrin's Corollary (to Malcanis' Law): Any idea that seeks to limit the ability of a large nullsec bloc to do something in the name of allowing more small groups into sov null will inevitably make it that much harder for small groups to enter sov null.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#57 - 2012-12-02 07:18:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Mallak Azaria
Bunch of Hulks mine & dump ore in to an Orca, Freighter grabs ore to haull back when full, Machariel bumps Freighter for ransom Big smile

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Mallak Azaria
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#58 - 2012-12-02 07:19:54 UTC
De'Veldrin wrote:
Personally I am waiting for the flood of "Buff Freighter EHP so they can be better jetcans, CCP" threads that are sure to follow this development. That will be the amusing part of this change.

They're already asking for lowslots so they can put a Damage Control on them, but we all know they'll just fill the lows with cargo expander & keep complaining.

This post was lovingly crafted by a member of the Goonwaffe Posting Cabal, proud member of the popular gay hookup site somethingawful.com, Spelling Bee, Grammar Gestapo & #1 Official Gevlon Goblin Fanclub member.

Ritsum
Perkone
Caldari State
#59 - 2012-12-02 07:35:14 UTC
Some null corps should think about this. Bring in a high sec mining corp and get them to strip mine your systems while you get a certain % of the ores they get, they also get your protection and more ISK from the abundance of high end ores.

Passive income for Null corps/alliances as well as a increase in raw ores being dumped into hangers of the null corps.

Probably already tried and being done as I type this but still I don't understand why it would not make a good idea. Carebear high-sec miners still being protected by the null's and the null's getting more income and industry to fuel their wars. Win/Win right?

/Flame on

Play EvE how you want to play it and do not let others dictate how you play. Evolve your playstyle to protect yourself from others! Even in "PVE", "PVP" is there, lurking in the shadows.

Dave stark
#60 - 2012-12-02 08:52:14 UTC
Sarmea Moon wrote:
Dave stark wrote:
Sarmea Moon wrote:
Dave stark wrote:

but you're not even gaining quality of life with a freighter. lack of tractor beam, for example. not to mention, other than making yourself open to can flippers, you have nowhere to store all of this ore until it's ready to be collected by the freighter.

You store it in the freighter. Freighter warps to the orca, the orca has tractored the cans, and tractors new ones, if the ships aren't already dumping straight into the orca. You keep mentioning the warping orca, you know, the orca that's providing bonuses? The orca that as soon as it begins to warp, all the hulks in the belt lose their laser locks and current yield because the bonus isn't there anymore? If you are hauling with a second orca, or hauler, they aren't mining either. You have a non-mining pilot not matter what ship you pick to haul. If you want to complain about efficiency, then they wouldn't be stripping the belt in the first place, they'd be mining whatever the 10% best ore was and move to another belt, then another system.

you mean the same bonuses that are only in effect as the lasers start/end their cycle, giving you plenty of time to warp to and from the belt? you only need the links to be on at the start of the cycle to gain their bonuses, and you only need the orca pilot in space at the end of the cycle for the yield bonus. the time between it doesn't matter if the bonuses are on or not.
not to mention, bonuses being down for 1 cycle will cost you less ore than having a pilot idling in a freighter.

Kudos to you. I have never gotten 14 hulks/players to all have their laser begin and end at exactly the same time. Now THAT's organized. Wow, having a pilot down goofing off in a freighter that would otherwise be...... oh yeah, goofing off idling in a hauler or a second orca:P

again, losing bonuses for a cycle on a few miners is less of a loss than having one less exhumer pilot.
also if you're hauling in an orca there's less idle time because it's smaller and you're not having to manage jetcans which are a massive "come and canflip me" sign.

the simple fact is for freighter hauling to be more effective than orca hauling you're going to have to sacrifice an exhumer pilot and/or have a nightmare micromanaging containers in space that will just attract people who want to ruin your day.