These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CSM7 Dec Summit Topic - Nullsec

First post
Author
Deornoth Drake
Vandeo
#41 - 2012-12-01 14:00:35 UTC
some upgrades to NPC 0.0 would be interesting:

1. each 0.0 NPC should at least have one station with medical service (e.g. Mordu's Angels)
2. now that you can upgrade FW low sec, a way to upgrade NPC 0.0 (as well as regular NPC low sec) would be interesting, especially if that NPC does not have agents (The society of thoughts in Geminate)

general:
3. industrial jump bridge for rorqual would be nice (together with dropping the ship main. bay restriction)
Zhade Lezte
#42 - 2012-12-01 17:23:28 UTC
Malcanis wrote:
Ruareve wrote:
I want to make one comment regarding this topic from the view point of a small alliance player looking at the inaccessibility of nullsec to the small group.

Fencing off areas of nullsec is something I think will have to be done to encourage small groups to expand into null. Having some kind of home system that can't be flooded with hostile supers, caps and fleets is just about the only way to let people try their hand at building a sandcastle that doesn't get automatically trampled by the sandbox gangs. The added safety of a home system would need to be compensated with lower resources. There are many ways to design such a system, but I think until there is a way for small groups to experience nullsec at a slower pace the population will never significantly shift out of high sec. The power curve is just too much in favor of the groups/players with years of experience and overwhelming numbers to make nullsec appealing to the general player base.

There is no way to make this work that can't be immediately abused by well organised groups.

In addition, there's already something like this in the game (low class wormholes).

If you made the systems predetermined (like wormholes) or perhaps revamped areas of NPC null to be like this, then maybe?

Really I can't see this doing anything that lower class wormholes don't already do better though (much less a way that feels natural), so it's probably best to just bring this about naturally by expanding the size of nullsec and buff nullsec in general so that even poor truesec space is worth living in and large alliances can't occupy all the space. Dominion and its iterations have partially done this, but oftentimes hisec is just better to live in in the current day and age.
Aliventi
Rattini Tribe
Minmatar Fleet Alliance
#43 - 2012-12-01 18:09:45 UTC
If you could take a look at NPC 0.0 (I know not SOV but still...) it would be greatly appreciated. It would be nice if it were a stepping ground between high/lowsec and actual SOV 0.0.

And help make all NPC 0.0 like Syndicate. Lots of fun to play in, people to kill, and less of the annoying structure grind.
Sephiroth CloneIIV
Brothers of Tyr
Goonswarm Federation
#44 - 2012-12-01 20:38:15 UTC  |  Edited by: Sephiroth Clone VII
Zoe Arbosa wrote:
There's more to it than just hoping that CCP agrees. It's about getting them to devote the resources to make those things happen. Just agreeing in the abstract won't help much.

Its not so much resources, unless they are doing a huge content expansion, but revising current stats.

Nullsec ores double the yield of highsec variants (and likewise, have some of the rarer ores appear in high-sec like abc) that would allow a sort of independence of either, and trade going either way on all kinds of minerals depending on suppy and demand and where people want to mine. No sure if it would make mining truly better in null due to risk and ease of multiboxing and afk minning in high. A true risk vs reward.

To discourage the massive importing that is done now for capital production, mineral compression could be reduced for the items that compress it the best down to a more consistant rate with all other other items/ships.

Also station slots, they need to be tenfold for a fully upgraded station to compensate that any given system can only have one station and me be the only one for multiple neighboring systems. The hard limit on them could be eliminated as well to allow real hubs and production. The refining quality could also be made much better, (not requiring god skill or implants to have as good as empire stations)

Beyond allowing multiple stations that might change code, most of this is re-balancing stats.
Katarina Reid
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#45 - 2012-12-01 22:11:04 UTC
Reorganise npc 0.0 so they border low sec so high > low > npc 0.0 > sov.
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#46 - 2012-12-01 23:16:02 UTC
One of my pet ideas that I have tossed into random threads was the idea of an SBU module that would hold open a wormhole connection. Reinforcement timer and everything.

To prevent it from ruining all WH's. make it only able to hold open a class 1-3. In this way, you could "attach" wh's to capitals in null and allow for "floating castles". IE. a fully pos'ed up WH, that you purposely wardial into a hostile alliances space, and pour out like plague. Kill the beachhead SBU, and cut them off before they take first station etc. Or professional WH corps that will be able to farm random areas of space.

This has the main benefit of improving space through adding more career options for the average null pilot. Without having to dedicate char/characters to living in a WH for that sort of income.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#47 - 2012-12-02 00:52:48 UTC
Aryth wrote:
One of my pet ideas that I have tossed into random threads was the idea of an SBU module that would hold open a wormhole connection. Reinforcement timer and everything.

To prevent it from ruining all WH's. make it only able to hold open a class 1-3. In this way, you could "attach" wh's to capitals in null and allow for "floating castles". IE. a fully pos'ed up WH, that you purposely wardial into a hostile alliances space, and pour out like plague. Kill the beachhead SBU, and cut them off before they take first station etc. Or professional WH corps that will be able to farm random areas of space.

This has the main benefit of improving space through adding more career options for the average null pilot. Without having to dedicate char/characters to living in a WH for that sort of income.

Wouldn't groups like yours (Goons) use this to lock carebear wormholes into your space?

Perhaps an alternate proposal would be a way to create nullsec-nullsec wormholes at some cost, as a way to provide invasion routes into enemy space?

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#48 - 2012-12-02 00:57:14 UTC
Two step wrote:
Aryth wrote:

Wouldn't groups like yours (Goons) use this to lock carebear wormholes into your space?

Perhaps an alternate proposal would be a way to create nullsec-nullsec wormholes at some cost, as a way to provide invasion routes into enemy space?

I would LOVE the ability to increase the spawn rate of Kspace-Kspace WH's.
Tinkerbel Ducttape
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#49 - 2012-12-02 10:42:17 UTC
corestwo wrote:
Removing mineral compression does absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Alliances will continue to just import completed hulls instead of raising their local prices for low end minerals enough to induce miners to mine low end ores in belts. I suppose you can argue that JFs should be nerfed and so on as well, but the further you take it the more you're getting into spiteful "let's try to make it work by kicking nullsec players in the balls" territory instead of "lets try to make it work by making it worth doing".

In any case I should note that the proponents of the compression nerf in the development strategy document as well as CCP itself support the notion of reasonable local production anyway, and the CSM, at least, acknowledges that compression can't really be nerfed until local production is available. So there. Blink

Mineral compression helps to ease the problem but will be insufficient to completely fix it.

Quote:
You've got a point on the reduced man-hours thing, although I'd point out three things. First, my example was just that - an example - and I didn't account for man-hours at all. Second, it's not necessarily a bad thing anyway, as nullsec also has fewer miners to begin with. And third, if CCP were to adopt the idea and decided it was a bad thing, it's easy enough to tweak any or all of the units required to refine, the ore volume itself, or the content of a refine to adjust the man-hour number.

To fix the man-hour problem, mining yields of other ores could be nerfed, or mining yields in general. One suggestion made on this forum that has that effect is to remove the 'named' ores (e.g. Dense Veldspar) from hisec belts, which makes mining the low-end ores in low- and nullsec a bit more viable. Again not even close to a complete solution to fix the problem.
Although there are fewer miners in nullsec (incl. WHs), they are still capable of flooding the market with high-end minerals to the point where mining them is insufficiently rewarding. There are sufficient miners, there are sufficient belts, it just has to be made economic to mine the belts.

I think one of the problems is that unlike ores in belts, gravimetric sites can be made to respawn to supply unlimitted amounts of ores. This is a broken mechanism. One system can theoratically supply all of Eve with all the high-end ores it needs. This should be nerfed as it might force nullsec miners to mine some belts for once and might help to combat all that 'empty' sov space out there. No need to go out there to mine when you have unlimitted grav sites in your station system.
Noisrevbus
#50 - 2012-12-02 12:01:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Noisrevbus
corestwo wrote:

So, a larger entity hits every single one of a smaller entity's POS in a system at once with five dreads each while simultaneously camping the gates and still has a fleet left over to act as an in-system reinforcement gang.

You can make things achievable by smaller groups, but that's about the best you can hope for. Numbers will never not be an advantage unless you go to very contrived lengths to prevent it. Not arguing against trying to make things achievable by smaller groups, just pointing that out.

It's nice to see we got past the "numbers will always matter, no matter what" remark. Of course, it's true and numbers should always matter, but while discussion usually stifle there and it doesn't say anything on it's own - it's past that where it gets interesting: How much should they matter?

While Gevlin was just throwing out a random example to get the ball rolling i think you should examine your reply again. Having Dreads spread around is nothing i particularily belive in either, but with whatever fault you can pick at it still exemplify one pretty important thing: no matter how a large alliance could hurt a small one under a system similar to that, it actually enable the small one to hurt the large one as well. If you think about it, that's slightly different from now - and that is the issue. At least he pokes at reciprocity. The resources to reasonably destroy POS and SBU/TCU today, are quite exclusive: it has a high bottom requirement and ontop of that bigger is better and more is better.

I remember talking to Seleene and Elise about that with regards to POCO - and while they have less hitpoints, it's still the same mechanic: it's hitpoints and timers, which have resulted in amassing specific resources for siege rather than capture-the-flag content for the gangs that naturally roam the area. If you can hit a POCO you can hit a small POS - it's redundant content. It's also comparable to pre- and post Dominion SOV. It's similar to old SOV, and while many belive that the current SOV is worse i think it's important we don't forget that the old SOV wasn't good.

You later get there yourself when you abstractly mention "make things achievable": The question is how?

I'm a fan of such novel ideas as "making losing an entire fleet impact you". Crazy novelty, i know Roll.

The number one problem with the "Drake era" EVE is that numbers allow you to overcome having to use ships with an actual loss and pricetag attached to them (while lack of numbers force you to rely on them). You root in the financial bottom and build from there with numbers. It has completely over-tipped the balance between making ISK and losing ISK, as such it has tipped the balance between PvE and PvP, and through that the balance between activity and stand-by (which is why so many of us don't really play EVE as much, even though we play EVE - we create less content).

With that in mind, it's interesting to see CCP focus so much on new ships, re-balanced ships and better ships with little to no pricetag. When the issue with BC was adressed in 2011, you never expected them to try to solve it by adding more ships wih the same problem. If there is one place to start, that is definately it. When the issue with BC is adressed in 2012 we still seem to be looking at physical balance, not financial balance. We can get perfect physical balance and financial balance will still be an issue. It has been the primary issue of the two for years now - actual ship balance has not been that bad: it's just that prices have bottom-lined and some player-generated content have disappeared (there's not enough content where Harbies shine, they used to shine - nothing have changed ship-balance wise from then to now - it's all trend and generated content).

We can (and should-) discuss ways to let infra scale, to give smaller groups options to interact with larger groups' infrastructure - but being able or giving a reason to interact with their ships should definately hold priority. Ships first.

Finding ways to encourage interaction with starbases on one hand, is quite pointless if we discourage interaction between ships on the other hand.

The most severe and festering issue in EVE today is giving ships a reason to shoot each other when numbers are uneven. We want to encourage and reward PvP, but the current design direction still head toward risk adversity (making ships accessible to lose rather than rewarding to explode). Numbers is a balance issue that should get attention, but we should start looking at the clots rather than going straight for the heart. We can't design new checks rooted in numbers, we should look at the checks that exist and how they deal with scalability. That's where the problem lie. Numbers should be a factor but there are blood clots like "free ships" in this game that currently make that factor stop the natural flow - and make interacting between differing numbers pointless.

Other clots involve volume- or hitpoint-scaling (both ships and infra) where things like "hacking" (time-based scaling) actually have it's place - even if it doesn't necessarily have to involve Dreads. It involves finding flexible design that take that very thing, scalability, into account and provide multiple ways over different scales to interact with infra (aka. Farms and fields) or any mechanic in EVE instead of creating different mechanics for it, relocated to different areas of the game. It starts with ships, faucets and sinks though - that's the heart of EVE and it's in dire need of dialysis while the doctors still seem to poke around with aspirin.

"You have more than me" is not the issue as much as "you have more that you can't reasonably lose - or don't mind losing". Didn't want those anyway... have become reality.
Sofia Wolf
Ubuntu Inc.
The Fourth District
#51 - 2012-12-02 14:11:48 UTC
CSM should definitely make an issue of excessive strategic mobility in 0.0 space (i.e. power projection). Mechanics around titan bridges, cyno jumping and jump bridges are a hot topic and justifiably so. It would be indefensible omission if CSM refused to bring those to CCP's attention.

Jessica Danikov > EVE is your real life. the rest is fantasy. caught in a corporation. no escape from banality. open up yours eyes, peer through pod good and seeeeeee. I'm just a poor pilot, I need no sympathy. because I'm easy scam, easy go, little isk, little know. anyway the solar wind blows...

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#52 - 2012-12-02 15:58:11 UTC
Two step wrote:
Aryth wrote:

Dedicated carebear wormholes should not be in the lower wormholes. If you only allow nullsec-nullsec ones, it doesn't really allow for space improvement, so much as invasion corridor only. If we assume for a moment that carebears want class 4+, or 3+ wh's, and limit it to those classes below that, it should solve that issue nicely.

Creator of Burn Jita

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#53 - 2012-12-02 15:59:54 UTC
Sofia Wolf wrote:
CSM should definitely make an issue of excessive strategic mobility in 0.0 space (i.e. power projection). Mechanics around titan bridges, cyno jumping and jump bridges are a hot topic and justifiably so. It would be indefensible omission if CSM refused to bring those to CCP's attention.

The problem with this argument is, anything that makes power projection harder in null, also makes regular life suck more too. This would be like nullers proposing that CCP put .4 systems between all the empires in highsec. After all, travel is WAY too easy from Jita to Rens eh?

Creator of Burn Jita

handige harrie
Vereenigde Handels Compagnie
#54 - 2012-12-02 16:03:31 UTC
Im interested in knowing when CCP is going to do a proper job of the rebalancing of the Drone Regions,

eg;
- giving the normal rats a proper drop tabel
- adding the Hidden/Forlorn/Forsaken variants of Anomalies
- balancing the DED complexes, with factions loot and all.

and if CCP is thinking about returning to (a form of) Drone Poo, since it lowers isk getting into the economy and solves the shortage of lowends in nullsec.

Baddest poster ever

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#55 - 2012-12-02 17:49:59 UTC
Tinkerbel Ducttape wrote:

I think one of the problems is that unlike ores in belts, gravimetric sites can be made to respawn to supply unlimitted amounts of ores. This is a broken mechanism. One system can theoratically supply all of Eve with all the high-end ores it needs. This should be nerfed as it might force nullsec miners to mine some belts for once and might help to combat all that 'empty' sov space out there. No need to go out there to mine when you have unlimitted grav sites in your station system.

You have my agreement that it's a problem, but it wouldn't get people to belt mine. What it would get them to do is mine out all the sites in their system, then a second system, up to however many N systems they can mine out before the respawn. This should be regarded as an equally desirable outcome, though - they're actually making use of space they're holding instead of just one system.

Noisrevbus wrote:
a huge mess of words.

It may surprise you to hear me say this, but this is a good post.

Sofia Wolf wrote:

I'd like to note that, for all the bleating about power projection (some of it somewhat valid, to be fair), goons conquered everything from scalding pass to detorid back in the day without titan or jump bridges. The tools being there have perhaps made it easier, but they haven't been what's made it possible.

Also what Aryth said. Why should it be so easy to AFK between the various empires, anyway?

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Saede Riordan
Alexylva Paradox
#56 - 2012-12-03 14:40:20 UTC
Linking to discussion thread

Currently 0.0 is missing some things:
*Soft targets and infrastructure for small groups to go after
*industry, 'farms and fields' to add value to individual systems, such that a large alliance actually has to live and work and defend each and every system they want to hold.
*methods for small groups to enjoy 0.0 as much as large ones

I think that when details on the new POS systems are introduced, they might alleviate some of these issues but it is overall definitely something that needs to be discussed. There needs to be a definitive vision for the future of 0.0 before any changes or new features are introduced. Throwing new features into the already damaged system will not fix it, merely compound the problems. I'd like to see players able to customize and improve their space to a huge degree. Mining outposts in asteroid belts to mine and process ore, solar harvesters collecting resources, defense turrets, shipyards, all sorts of cool infrastructure in space to try and hide, attack and protect. Things without millions of ehp that take fleets of dreadnaughts to attack.
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#57 - 2012-12-03 15:27:51 UTC
The POS revamp is the opportunity to fix most of the glaring issues with nullsec. Specifically production/industry, through the use of massive numbers of production slots, refining, and offices.

The big "fix" requires is some sort of new system or improvement that addresses the M3 Movement issue. Null can never be a viable production hub as long as it is directly competing with the likes of Red Frog, or PushX for M3 movement costs. The built in costs to production in null are far too high given the risks involved vs the no risk production in highsec.

Highsec POCOS. Player owned PI in Highsec would be amazing as it also gives players a method to raise (or lower) that 10% highsec tax. Which also means null cannot draw any substantial income from PI when it has to compete with that. Though it does generate some income.

SOV is an entire topic in itself. The grind, no real small gang targets (outside of pocos). No way to really "improve" space beyond some grindfest indexes and ihub upgrades. This could be addressed by the POS revamp. Where all your investment of time and ISK comes in the form of mega Shanty Towns bolted together, and destroyable.

Taxing Refining. Huge issue. Refining is currently next to impossible to actually tax. People can avoid tax with Rorqs (and do), the tax is a pain to consolidate and convert to ISK (it sits in mineral form in taxes hanger). A ISK tax directly on the ore mined is the way to go here. Code wise, this might be hard.

Ore imbalance. CCP has not paid much attention to the ratios of minerals in many years. The old ratio of Trit to Pyer to Mega etc. This has also shown up in the mineral requirements of ships, though they are sorta addressing some of this in tiericide, but not near all of it. This means null is forever forced to compress/import lowends. Which is silly and automatically results in null production not being competitive.

There are probably a dozen more issues like this, we have attempted to outline them within Weaselior's and Mynnna's articles on tm.com. These are products of a great deal of internal debate and theorycrafting, so they are about as comprehensive a work as you are going to find.

Creator of Burn Jita

Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#58 - 2012-12-03 16:00:17 UTC
There is definitely a scale imbalance in EVE.

Now before some goon comes in here and plasters on about how 'big groups should win against small groups', that is not what i'm talking about. Its all well and good that big fish eat little fish, but the biggest problem is that SOV taking and SOV warfare has such a high price tag for entry level work, that the only way 'new' 0.0 alliances form is by old ones dieing and some of the mid-level management starting a new one, and attracting all the same players to it. There's a base level of dreadnoughts and titans required for any legitimate sov-holding alliance. That's unacceptable. In the spirit of EVE, a group of new players who quickly specialize should be able to at least present a legitimate confrontation to another 0.0 alliance. Three things must be addressed

1) Sov warfare should scale from 20 men in battle cruisers on up. Currently to do sov warfare in a reasonable time-line you need at least 20 men in dreadnoughts, and that's just ridiculous. Sov Warfare should promote and encourage gang warfare (big or small, doesn't matter) right now there is no incentive for alliances to undock ships to fight a war. Most of the time they just call each other nasty names on the forums until one alliance fail-cascades from internal politics, and then the situation is capitalized on. Holding space needs to mean something, and require work and ISK. I feel that it should be difficult, and cost-ineffective for a single large entity to hold more space than a region. While I don't support artificial capping, right now, its not very difficult to control a region, and it hardly costs a dime compared to owning a single tech moon.

2) Income sources need to scale appropriately. Currently it is hardly more valuable to rat/mine/complex in 0.0 (with the exception of running radar sites) than it is to do other high-sec income sources. This ABSOLUTELY HAS TO CHANGE, since alliances don't loose ships, players do. Oh, and in the exploration realm, for the love of God, MAKE MAGNETOMETRIC SITES EXCITING AND FULL OF GOOD STUFF

3) Conflict drivers must exist to make alliances more interested in fighting each other. While I think making 0.0 sov scale up from 20 man bc gangs is a good start (since now a small force of raiders can disrupt people taking advantage of step 2) it won't provide the motivation for 4000 people to get off their asses, stop ganking freighters in highsec out of boredom, and actually go to war with each other.
Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#59 - 2012-12-03 20:34:43 UTC
Blastil wrote:
While I don't support artificial capping, right now, its not very difficult to control a region, and it hardly costs a dime compared to owning a single tech moon

I have a feeling you don't have the faintest idea how much sov costs or how much a tech moon makes. You may want to look into that.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Blastil
Aideron Robotics
Aideron Robotics.
#60 - 2012-12-03 22:38:21 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Blastil wrote:
While I don't support artificial capping, right now, its not very difficult to control a region, and it hardly costs a dime compared to owning a single tech moon

I have a feeling you don't have the faintest idea how much sov costs or how much a tech moon makes. You may want to look into that.

You're the one that needs to check his facts mate. I can link you some relevant material if you'd like me to.