These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Happy Safe Fun Time!

First post First post
Author
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#301 - 2012-11-29 21:28:20 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:
this little annoyance serves as a cover for rage aimed at the safety setting itself because some people fear that they'll miss out on easy kills.

Easy kills will still be easy even if someone has to turn off their safety, it's the hard kills that are a problem.

The real rage here is that this is EVE and why the **** do I have a safety!

CCP has no sense of humour.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#302 - 2012-11-29 22:44:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Some Rando wrote:
Terrorfrodo wrote:
this little annoyance serves as a cover for rage aimed at the safety setting itself because some people fear that they'll miss out on easy kills.

To be fair even SEAL teams or professional assassins have safetys on their weapons.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#303 - 2012-11-29 22:48:13 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

I'm well aware of the size, membership and mindset of your little group. Smile I have nothing against your organization as a whole, only the person or two posting in this thread with a thinly concealed "get rid of it altogether" agenda. Blink

Nobody cares if you want to turn it off and forget it, the only thing people are slightly concerned about is the ability to set it to the level they wish and have that setting persist. That satisfy's the needs of people in your line of work AND the rest of the EvE community.

Obviously not so aware of our mindset as the point is we don't care if it exists or not, we just want the release of it delayed until it persists. While CCP are rushing this change in with a real last minute we know it doesn't work but we wanna do it anyway attitude. By their own admission they know it isn't finished but they seem to be taking the attitude that they will just chuck it anyway and hope noone complains so they don't need to make it work.

You are actually trying to discredit a bunch of people arguing for the same damn point but wanting CCP to sort that out BEFORE they launch it.

Or more simply...

Don't care what it's initial setting is
Don't care if it is implemented or not
CARE that it is implemented ONLY when it is finished

Yeah, we get that already. No need to keep repeating variations on the same point.

Again, since the state of the safety is so blindingly obvious at all times, the rest of us feel competent enough to notice and turn it off if desired until this can be addressed.

Tempest in a teacup.

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Kevin Emoto
No Code of Conduct
Fluffeh Bunneh Murder Squad
#304 - 2012-11-29 22:49:03 UTC
Waiting for the new CCP dev band polka "Soften the **** Up" at next fanfest.
Andy Moo
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#305 - 2012-11-29 23:22:26 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
To be fair even SEAL teams or professional assassins have safetys on their weapons.

And when they disable the safety they have to make a conscious decision to enable it again. Your point is completely irrelevant.
Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#306 - 2012-11-29 23:36:52 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

I read that as "professional asshats". Lol

And Andy Moo's post stands (hopefully EVE doesn't act like my old K98 and lock up the whole assembly if you try to rack a round with the safety at half!)

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#307 - 2012-11-30 00:25:44 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Andy Moo wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

And when they disable the safety they have to make a conscious decision to enable it again. Your point is completely irrelevant.

Since the point being somewhat jovially discussed in his post that I was responding to was:

Quote:

and had nothing to do with the enable/disable controversy your nerd rage blinders have caused you to completely miss the point yet again.

Nice try though.

Kevin Emoto
No Code of Conduct
#308 - 2012-11-30 03:13:53 UTC
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:

I'm well aware of the size, membership and mindset of your little group. Smile I have nothing against your organization as a whole, only the person or two posting in this thread with a thinly concealed "get rid of it altogether" agenda. Blink

Nobody cares if you want to turn it off and forget it, the only thing people are slightly concerned about is the ability to set it to the level they wish and have that setting persist. That satisfy's the needs of people in your line of work AND the rest of the EvE community.

Obviously not so aware of our mindset as the point is we don't care if it exists or not, we just want the release of it delayed until it persists. While CCP are rushing this change in with a real last minute we know it doesn't work but we wanna do it anyway attitude. By their own admission they know it isn't finished but they seem to be taking the attitude that they will just chuck it anyway and hope noone complains so they don't need to make it work.

You are actually trying to discredit a bunch of people arguing for the same damn point but wanting CCP to sort that out BEFORE they launch it.

Or more simply...

Don't care what it's initial setting is
Don't care if it is implemented or not
CARE that it is implemented ONLY when it is finished

^^^^ What he said ^^^^^
usrevenge
Viziam
Amarr Empire
#309 - 2012-11-30 07:17:46 UTC
I just know I'l get concorded now. turn off safeties,
few weeks later f1, miss click on target 2 seconds later egg ship.
ANGRY23
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#310 - 2012-11-30 15:15:54 UTC
Tumbleweed

Thanks for ignoring feedback and not replying to any questions.

Is there anyone from this dev team available to comment or will i come back on tuesday to and post in the feedback thread once its on tq and i have to have it cover my % readout and have to switch it off at every log in 3 or 4 times and nothing can be done till you start patching fixes. You cant seriously intend to roll out unfinished content.

You said it wasnt ready in time and im pretty sure you wouldnt put an half built gearbox in you car. If your mechanic told you your car would be ready on tuesday with a new gearbox and the gearbox wasnt finished would you just get him to fit it anyway or would you wait till the end of the week when he had it done properly?

More Tumbleweed

Angry23
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#311 - 2012-11-30 17:14:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
ANGRY23 wrote:
Tumbleweed

Is there anyone from this dev team available to comment or will i come back on tuesday to and post in the feedback thread once its on tq and i have to have it cover my % readout and have to switch it off at every log in 3 or 4 times and nothing can be done till you start patching fixes. You cant seriously intend to roll out unfinished content.

You said it wasnt ready in time and im pretty sure you wouldnt put an half built gearbox in you car. If your mechanic told you your car would be ready on tuesday with a new gearbox and the gearbox wasnt finished would you just get him to fit it anyway or would you wait till the end of the week when he had it done properly?

More Tumbleweed

Angry23

He's already told you it's going in as is, and that making the settings persistant would be something added afterwards if enough people want it.

I realize you didn't like his answer, but that doesn't change the fact that your concern was responded to already.

I have little doubt that demand will continue to have the settings be made persistant. In fact, if this isn't on the plate for the point release afterwards I'll join you in needling them. But seriously, having checked it out on the test server it is no where near as onerous as you seem to think it will be. And yes, I operate extensively in all security levels of EvE space (with a slight emphasis on Low Sec).

Kevin Emoto
No Code of Conduct
#312 - 2012-11-30 17:55:42 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
ANGRY23 wrote:
Tumbleweed

More Tumbleweed

Angry23

He's already told you it's going in as is, and that making the settings persistant would be something added afterwards if enough people want it.

I realize you didn't like his answer, but that doesn't change the fact that your concern was responded to already.

I have little doubt that demand will continue to have the settings be made persistant. In fact, if this isn't on the plate for the point release afterwards I'll join you in needling them. But seriously, having checked it out on the test server it is no where near as onerous as you seem to think it will be. And yes, I operate extensively in all security levels of EvE space (with a slight emphasis on Low Sec).

And if we don't point out it sucks, how will CCP know we want the ability to turn off this care bear feature for ourselves? Stop your constant trolling of those of us who see an obvious flaw and inconsistency in the product, and go raise your post count elsewhere.
Hans Jagerblitzen
Ice Fire Warriors
#313 - 2012-11-30 17:57:06 UTC
Just stopping by to let you all know I will be addressing this at the Winter Summit, the persistence issue on the safety will by no means be ignored. I, too, will be one of the players having to mess with shutting this off every first undock when I log in, from Dec. 4 until it gets patched. And it should be patched, soon. There’s no reason to have this not be a toggled feature in the options menu.

That being said, the reason you haven't heard any response from the developers after 16 pages of anger is because their answer the first time remains the same. They are way past “add new things” and preparing the code for release. I’ll be speaking with the team and the summit and doing my best to make sure this is a priority for the inevitable point release. Until then, calling the developers stupid or incompetent or deliberately designing this to be broken is a waste of time and energy. In addition to personal attacks being a forum violation, they won’t accelerate a solution to the problem. Rest assured I am equally frustrated and will be giving this my personal attention.

CPM0 Chairman / CSM7 Vice Secretary

Some Rando
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#314 - 2012-11-30 18:00:29 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:

I read it as they planned to do it later anyway.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2233309#post2233309

Kind of reminds me of persistent window states in the UI which, IMO, was the most odious oversight of that whole fiasco. I mean, this is totally minor in comparison but look how long it took them to get the UI to save states. Hopefully we'll get this in the next point release.

Niko Lorenzio
United Eve Directorate
#315 - 2012-11-30 21:22:37 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:
Just stopping by to let you all know I will be addressing this at the Winter Summit, the persistence issue on the safety will by no means be ignored. I, too, will be one of the players having to mess with shutting this off every first undock when I log in, from Dec. 4 until it gets patched. And it should be patched, soon. There’s no reason to have this not be a toggled feature in the options menu.

That being said, the reason you haven't heard any response from the developers after 16 pages of anger is because their answer the first time remains the same. They are way past “add new things” and preparing the code for release. I’ll be speaking with the team and the summit and doing my best to make sure this is a priority for the inevitable point release. Until then, calling the developers stupid or incompetent or deliberately designing this to be broken is a waste of time and energy. In addition to personal attacks being a forum violation, they won’t accelerate a solution to the problem. Rest assured I am equally frustrated and will be giving this my personal attention.

Thank you very much for your reassurance Hans. I really hope you guys make sure this goes through and for once I don't have to wonder why the CSM is always silent or posts trivial comments on issues so important to players.

I just wanted to ask you if you read some of the posts on this thread explicitly describing why warning pop ups are still needed even with the safety feature. Only need to make it so they pop up when the safety is OFF and have an option to permanently disable them like you can with the rest of the pop ups.

For everyone else saying that only noob killing griefers are angry about this change, you're wrong. I love newbies and I think it's stupid that they get killed because of silly game mechanics, and honestly I LOVE THIS SAFETY FEATURE IDEA THINGY. My only beef is that it's not persistent, and that it's going to take away the option for us to decide on case by case basis which can be easily remedied with my suggestion above.

The CSM XI Election are now open until March 25th, 2016. Consider Niko Lorenzio for CSM XI.

CSM matters, your voice matters, your vote matters!

Anise Lazair
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#316 - 2012-12-01 00:54:11 UTC
Will the safety muzzle drones as well as modules?
Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#317 - 2012-12-01 22:50:08 UTC
J3ssica Alba wrote:
Anything that makes Eve a place full of happy joy joy is a good thing

This is why I'm starting to wonder if Greyscale isn't losing touch with the kind of game this is..... Anything that makes EVE all "chocolate and tulips" us just plain wrong.

This is EVE online. If someone is dumb enough to log off with hostiles probing the system and loses their ship then

1) that's supposed to happen
2) they'll learn not to do it again.

This is like creating an air-bag in the steering wheel when it's a type of game where when you do something dumb a big spike is supposed to eject straight into your neck. Seriously. Biggest waste of programming time ever.

T-
Maraner
The Executioners
#318 - 2012-12-02 01:39:01 UTC
Not going to get listened to about this either.

Yet another 'feature' that no one has asked for that will be released prior to being ready that they will need to iterate on that will annoy the hell out of a large segment of the subscription paying veteran group.

Unreal! at least let me click a box in settings so I

1) Don't ever have to see that dummy button **** again

2) Don't have to set my options every time I log in.

3) If I can't see it I can pretend that CCP hasn't gone soft **** on us and is still releasing content rather than safety belts to people in a fricken computer game that used to pride itself on warfare and PVP.

grats guys, all the stuff you needed to work on you release this. At least the UI is getting fixed to a degree, was this CCP Arrows idea as well?

At least this is just a minor derp unlike the Unified Inventory debacle. Same as my interest in this game is becoming ...increasingly minor, where in the awesome gone CCP? You wont find it down the bottom of the barrel that your scraping.

Who exactly were you trying to please by putting this in the game without allowing the vets to turn it of, our ships , our consequences.

Tinu Moorhsum
Random Events
#319 - 2012-12-02 10:31:37 UTC
Maraner wrote:
Not going to get listened to about this either.

Yeah. Just to pick one example, we've been asking CCP for some basic support for colour blind people since 2005, which would have been about the same amount of effort to implement.

The fact that they spent their time doing THIS really irritates me.

T-
ANGRY23
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#320 - 2012-12-03 11:14:46 UTC
Hans Jagerblitzen wrote:

But why is it being added unfinished its complete and utter bull hans and you are just making excuses for incompetance. I watched Greyscale on the NEO and listened to his excuse and i still call bull. Its easier for me if i just add it anyway and feck the majority of players that want this feature to persist because it too much work for me and my team. Then he tryed to make amends by saying we are making it easier for bad guys by stopping sentrys shooting drones which imo is overdue but will never ever compensate for being force fed half finished content. What a crock of **** greyscale if you and your team didnt have it finished in time then it shouldnt be in this release.

Retribution is imo the best release for a while and props to ccp for it but this idiocy has taken the shine off it for me and probably most of the low sec community. "Hey we can use drones on the gate guys and the gate guns wont kill them anymore but you have to remember to disable the half finished button on your hud before you can engage said drones. AND you have to disable every fecking time you log in until this part of the product you pay for is finished. Props