These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

CSM7 Dec Summit Topic - Nullsec

First post
Author
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#21 - 2012-11-29 11:38:40 UTC
Ruareve wrote:
I want to make one comment regarding this topic from the view point of a small alliance player looking at the inaccessibility of nullsec to the small group.

Fencing off areas of nullsec is something I think will have to be done to encourage small groups to expand into null. Having some kind of home system that can't be flooded with hostile supers, caps and fleets is just about the only way to let people try their hand at building a sandcastle that doesn't get automatically trampled by the sandbox gangs. The added safety of a home system would need to be compensated with lower resources. There are many ways to design such a system, but I think until there is a way for small groups to experience nullsec at a slower pace the population will never significantly shift out of high sec. The power curve is just too much in favor of the groups/players with years of experience and overwhelming numbers to make nullsec appealing to the general player base.

There is no way to make this work that can't be immediately abused by well organised groups.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Marlona Sky
State War Academy
Caldari State
#22 - 2012-11-29 18:50:31 UTC
Does the CSM intend to discuss power projection during this meeting?
Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#23 - 2012-11-29 19:38:46 UTC

Remember... Nullsec needs more small gang activities...

Always Promote flying in space activities.

Also promote small-gang oriented targets. While ships in space are always a good target, include other targets / objectives / mechanics centered around small gangs. There needs to be a middle-ground objective between killing a ratter and killing a POS.

Things like:

A mining deflector - A device you anchor near a moon mining operation to steal some of the harvested moongoo...

Player Created Incursion Events - A device that inhibits PvE activities in a system by imparting incursion-like penalties to NPC bounties, Ship resistances, etc....

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#24 - 2012-11-29 20:33:06 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Also promote small-gang oriented targets. While ships in space are always a good target, include other targets / objectives / mechanics centered around small gangs. There needs to be a middle-ground objective between killing a ratter and killing a POS.

Things like:

A mining deflector - A device you anchor near a moon mining operation to steal some of the harvested moongoo...

Player Created Incursion Events - A device that inhibits PvE activities in a system by imparting incursion-like penalties to NPC bounties, Ship resistances, etc....

Both of those sound like interesting ideas although I do feel obliged to point out that depending on who's space you drop these in, the reaction to them will be anything but "small gang". That is, the fact that they are both designed to be easy to destroy by a small gang from the owners of the space being invaded does not mean they're any under obligation to actually bring that small gang.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2012-11-29 20:48:36 UTC
Two step wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:
Unless you're present at the Summit, hoping is about all you can do. Ball's in the CSM's court to try to sell CCP on not only adopting this vision, but acting on it.

That simply isn't even close to true. We have all seen what CCP will do when the playerbase is really fired up about something, it was called Crucible. If those ideas had even a quarter of the enthusiasm we saw 18 months ago, CCP would devote the resources to get it done.

Crucible is a bad example, since it was basically CCP saying 'oh god everything is on fire and our playerbase is in open revolt and Incarna was a horrible failure and our company is a total mess aaaaaaa' and taking a sawn-off shotgun to the backlog to rush out as many quick-fixes as they could in time for release day. It worked at the time to steady the ship, but it wasn't by any stretch of the imagination a focussed and co-ordinated project to fundamentally implement a set vision of some aspect of the game like we're talking about here, and a lot of that low-hanging-fruit has now been plucked from the backlog at this point.

That's part of the concern many of us have, I think - comprehensively fixing nullsec (and, for that matter, lowsec, and highsec, and industry, etc etc) requires some care and attention and for CCP to apply some joined-up thinking to do the right things in the right order. It's not something that can be done by picking a few random issues from the backlog. My worry is that CCP doesn't have a good track record of joined-up thinking and proper delivery in recent expansions and either we get another Dominion (announce a lot of things, drop half of them shortly before release, still not have released the dumped half three years later, whilst the half that was implemented turns out to be horribly breakable once the playerbase gets hold of them) or that we get another Crucible (seperate development teams cherry-pick those items easiest to quick-fix in time for release day and apply them in isolation rather than co-ordinated efforts to solve all the interlinked issues that make up nullsec's current problems).

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#26 - 2012-11-29 21:00:08 UTC
corestwo wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

Things like:

Both of those sound like interesting ideas although I do feel obliged to point out that depending on who's space you drop these in, the reaction to them will be anything but "small gang". That is, the fact that they are both designed to be easy to destroy by a small gang from the owners of the space being invaded does not mean they're any under obligation to actually bring that small gang.

The first key element to keeping things small gang is a limited window for response. If you give someone 24 hours to respond, they will bring everyone under the sun. If you give them a limited engagement window (10 min), they have to come quick or miss out. If they have 50 pilots at the ready to respond quickly... more power to them...

In truth, we WANT these situations to escalate from small gang to bigger gang to biggest gang. That's healthy and fun....

Scatim Helicon
State War Academy
Caldari State
#27 - 2012-11-29 21:01:41 UTC  |  Edited by: Scatim Helicon
Also, I mentioned this in a previous thread - the Nullsec Brainstorming exercise that was carried out by Greyscale last year : is that something that CCP are looking at using for their future development efforts, and if not are you going to wheel it back out into the daylight (not that Reykjavik sees much daylight in December) and remind them that it exists?

Every time you post a WiS thread, Hilmar strangles a kitten.

corestwo
#28 - 2012-11-29 23:11:29 UTC
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

The first key element to keeping things small gang is a limited window for response. If you give someone 24 hours to respond, they will bring everyone under the sun. If you give them a limited engagement window (10 min), they have to come quick or miss out. If they have 50 pilots at the ready to respond quickly... more power to them...

In truth, we WANT these situations to escalate from small gang to bigger gang to biggest gang. That's healthy and fun....

I'm a little puzzled. How does this window function, exactly? Is it something like "If you can't react to this module's presence, destroy the gang, and destroy the module inside of ten minutes it's effects become unstoppable for some longer (24 hour, perhaps?) period"? Or what?

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Sara Mars
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2012-11-29 23:18:13 UTC
Nerf the titan bridge and remove moon goo as passive income for alliance leaders...Make this happe
Frying Doom
#30 - 2012-11-30 00:24:12 UTC
I just read this
http://evenews24.com/2012/11/29/a-letter-to-csm-7-back-to-the-gates/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Now that looks like a great way to go.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Gevlin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#31 - 2012-11-30 00:31:56 UTC
I have been always the fan of diminishing returns in operational goals, but also making objectives have to hit several systems at once.

Making groups of 200 people no more effective than 20

Ie switch pos shoots to Pos hacks. dreads are massive computer ships that have a hacking strength, which will take x time to neutralize the POS Shield , Second dread would only provide 80% benefit, 3rd, 50%, 4th 20%, 5th 5%.

The rest of the fleet must guard these units as the structure hack. Once the hack competed the entire fleet can warp in and shoot the structure

For an Power Block like Cfc this would require them to split their Capital Blob to steam role an alliance, exposing vulnerability to smaller entities.

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

Gevlin
Pator Tech School
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-11-30 00:46:50 UTC
Most people are risk adverse, in null sec travelling in a blob represents safety and quick objective completion , (out side the odd bomber fleet.)

Null sec needs objectives that can be completed by small gangs but can Not be done better with "Bigger" gangs.

Since people are greedy the larger blobs will be in encouraged to split to hit several of these smaller gang objectives at once opening them up to hit and run attacks from smaller groups.

Brainstorm
Introduction of Objective completion ships - ship with limited combat ability but are required to completed an objective
Objective Hacking ships,
Objective Disruption Ships
Ship that are actually structures and must fly to an objective location, then deploy, once deployed pilot is in a shuttle
Dust Merc deployment Barge

Someday I will have the time to play. For now it is mining afk in High sec. In Cheap ships

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#33 - 2012-11-30 02:49:13 UTC
corestwo wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

I'm a little puzzled. How does this window function, exactly? Is it something like "If you can't react to this module's presence, destroy the gang, and destroy the module inside of ten minutes it's effects become unstoppable for some longer (24 hour, perhaps?) period"? Or what?

Pretty much.... Granted, the effects need to be reasonably balanced with the effort it takes to deploy it.... Obviously, spending 10 minutes to incapacitate a system for 24 hours is obnoxiously extreme. While I don't want to turn Nullsec into FW plexing, FW plexes are a good example where the locals need to respond quickly, or risk having their Sov hold diminished and eventually lost....

The player create incursion idea was basically, you come into system, anchor and then online the incursion deployment module. While onlining, it generates a warpable beacon for anybody and everybody to warp to.. Ideally the onlining process is long enough for the locals to form up a good response (debate-ably 15-20 minutes?), but not too long. Once online, the system experiences incursion like effects for a few hours.... and the locals just have to wait for the effect to diminish... Things to debate... Online timer length, deployment restrictions, period of incursion penalties, severity of penalties, etc, etc...

The Moon harvester deflector was more to punish distant landlords. If your alliance controls a moon on the other side of the galaxy, someone can steal your moongoo. And while it's easy to destroy these things, if you're not in the area, someone can reduce your harvest yield....
corestwo
#34 - 2012-11-30 06:57:56 UTC
Gevlin wrote:
I have been always the fan of diminishing returns in operational goals, but also making objectives have to hit several systems at once.

Ie switch pos shoots to Pos hacks. dreads are massive computer ships that have a hacking strength, which will take x time to neutralize the POS Shield , Second dread would only provide 80% benefit, 3rd, 50%, 4th 20%, 5th 5%.

The rest of the fleet must guard these units as the structure hack. Once the hack competed the entire fleet can warp in and shoot the structure

For an Power Block like Cfc this would require them to split their Capital Blob to steam role an alliance, exposing vulnerability to smaller entities.

So, a larger entity hits every single one of a smaller entity's POS in a system at once with five dreads each while simultaneously camping the gates and still has a fleet left over to act as an in-system reinforcement gang.

You can make things achievable by smaller groups, but that's about the best you can hope for. Numbers will never not be an advantage unless you go to very contrived lengths to prevent it. Not arguing against trying to make things achievable by smaller groups, just pointing that out.

fofofo

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#35 - 2012-11-30 09:14:37 UTC
corestwo wrote:
Gevlin wrote:

So, a larger entity hits every single one of a smaller entity's POS in a system at once with five dreads each while simultaneously camping the gates and still has a fleet left over to act as an in-system reinforcement gang.

You can make things achievable by smaller groups, but that's about the best you can hope for. Numbers will never not be an advantage unless you go to very contrived lengths to prevent it. Not arguing against trying to make things achievable by smaller groups, just pointing that out.

Numbers will always win in a straight up fight....

I think there needs to be a random element to taking sov that benefits people that occupy that system. Consider this for a moment:

Currently, to take Sov from someone, you role in and SBU their system. You then RF some structure, and get a timer that tells you exactly when the next fight will be. This means, as the aggressor, you just leave system and come back.

While alarm clock fights, as the above scenario is all about, are wonderful for big battles, there needs to be a component that isn't about alarm clock fights. That component needs to center around flying in the system, ideally maintaining a continual presence so you can take advantage of "random" events that have the opportunity to alter the Sov Battle.

Imagine, rather than having a TCU's blow up, once you shot a TCU into some critical state, it underwent a slow 24 hour destruction. Now, do to whatever reasons, you can't start onlining a new TCU until the old one finishes its demise. Pretend for a moment that the TCU is a complex system of computer data centers, where each "data center" represents the system control codes for the planetary systems and stargates and whatnot.... As the TCU burns, the various control centers become compromised, and to save the valuable system date within, these "data centers" are ejected into space. Pilots in system could then locate and retrieve these "data canters" to be used when onlining a new TCU. A new Goal: retrieve enough data centers, install them in an onlining TCU, and perhaps the onlining process for the new TCU is reduced from 8 hrs to 1 hour or maybe less. Now, maintaining a presence in system could be important, because your opponent might try to collect these data-cores and ninja-online a new TCU, forcing you to repeat the sov grind.

This system has it flaws, and I'm not suggestion it as is. Instead, I'm trying to provide an example of a mechanic in which occupying a system is influential and important to the Sov Conquering Mechanics. Collecting the "datacores" doesn't require shooting superstructures, and most importantly, it might be an achievable objective that a single pilot could perform. Tweak the retrieval mechanics and suddenly we have a small gang, guerrilla warfare targets that encourage 24 hours of opponents vying for system dominance while warping around trying to achieve objectives. This is much more along the lines of what I'd like to see incorporated into sov.... Not more pos bashes, not more RF'ing superstructures....
Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2012-11-30 09:57:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Snow Axe
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:
The Moon harvester deflector was more to punish distant landlords. If your alliance controls a moon on the other side of the galaxy, someone can steal your moongoo. And while it's easy to destroy these things, if you're not in the area, someone can reduce your harvest yield....

I'm going to use some of the numbers from your concept thread (under 5min online time, 1-10mil cost, 25% of yield stolen, 100k EHP) in combination with Tech, which despite getting hit with the nerf bat is still the most valuable. Its current best sell price in Jita is 77.9k isk p/u, so we'll call it an even 80k for simplicity's sake.

A moon harvester mines 100 units of designated material per hour. 100 units x 80k per unit = 8 million isk
25% of this is 2 million isk

Not exactly breaking the bank for anyone - not the person dropping it (they'd need 5 hours of stolen Tech to simply break even on the unit's cost), and even less so for the defending alliance (i.e. they'll be inclined to let it go until they can either form up a response specifically to kill it or until someone else does the job out of boredom, especially if it's only 100k EHP).

And that's with Tech where it is now (it's still declining). For comparison's sake, the #2 valued moon material is Neodymium is under 34k p/u, so less than half of the already threadbare profits from this. #3 for fun is Dysprosium at 9k p/u.

That's where this idea fails. It's created with the assumption that something that has become a meme (MOON GOO ISK FOUNTAINS!!!1!) is still in any way true. Even tech at its old price of 200k p/u is still 20mil an hour, or 5mil/hour stolen. Calling this some kind of financial boon for lowsec alliances is proof that you designed the system without even looking at how much moon mining actually brought in at its hysteria-generating peak, let alone earlier this month when you wrote your thread up (your thread was posted on the 14th of this year - the highest sell on that day was 78k p/u)

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Gizznitt Malikite
Agony Unleashed
Agony Empire
#37 - 2012-11-30 16:52:13 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Gizznitt Malikite wrote:

I'm going to use some of the numbers from your concept thread (under 5min online time, 1-10mil cost, 25% of yield stolen, 100k EHP) in combination with Tech, which despite getting hit with the nerf bat is still the most valuable. Its current best sell price in Jita is 77.9k isk p/u, so we'll call it an even 80k for simplicity's sake.

A moon harvester mines 100 units of designated material per hour. 100 units x 80k per unit = 8 million isk
25% of this is 2 million isk

Not exactly breaking the bank for anyone - not the person dropping it (they'd need 5 hours of stolen Tech to simply break even on the unit's cost), and even less so for the defending alliance (i.e. they'll be inclined to let it go until they can either form up a response specifically to kill it or until someone else does the job out of boredom, especially if it's only 100k EHP).

And that's with Tech where it is now (it's still declining). For comparison's sake, the #2 valued moon material is Neodymium is under 34k p/u, so less than half of the already threadbare profits from this. #3 for fun is Dysprosium at 9k p/u.

That's where this idea fails. It's created with the assumption that something that has become a meme (MOON GOO ISK FOUNTAINS!!!1!) is still in any way true. Even tech at its old price of 200k p/u is still 20mil an hour, or 5mil/hour stolen. Calling this some kind of financial boon for lowsec alliances is proof that you designed the system without even looking at how much moon mining actually brought in at its hysteria-generating peak, let alone earlier this month when you wrote your thread up (your thread was posted on the 14th of this year - the highest sell on that day was 78k p/u)

While I made that thread in November, I originally posted the idea in April, at which point I suggested a 1m isk price. Sadly, I thought I posted it in the "ideas for new modules thread", but for some reason didn't. Anyway, 1m isk and a 25% yield theft rate was reasonable and not too excessive at that time. Obviously, it's not soo much the case now, but it's nothing minor tweaks can't remedy. Thank you for running the current numbers to point this out.

What other issues do you foresee beyond "it's not profitable enough"... Really, profitability can be addressed by tweaking cost, theft rate, storage volume, etc.... Additionally, if you allow this device to continue to steal moongoo even when it's maxed out it's storage capacity, then your looking at non-negligible economic damage to the Moon Harvester's Owner.

Finally, it is not something an alliance needs a big response for.. The goal is to make a harassment device that an individual alliance member could take out.
Kira Vanachura
Green Visstick High
#38 - 2012-11-30 18:26:38 UTC
The CSM has in its development strategy suggested an alternative solution for fixing 'the tritanium problem': removing mineral compression. The idea is that if you make it harder to move large amounts of low end minerals from hisec to nullsec the price of these minerals in nullsec will rise and people will start to mine more low end ores.
The tritanium problem is not caused by insufficient low end ores available in nullsec (there is plenty of veldspar and scordite in nullsec belts which is mainly left untouched). It's a problem because mining those ores pays little more than it does in hisec (which apparantly is percieved to be insufficient).
Although the removal of mineral compression sounds simple, it will require reviewing all the mineral requirements for all blueprints and making changes where needed.

I think buffing the less popular nullsec ores with low end minerals is an interesting solution to the problem. It would however reduce the amount of miner-hours needed to obtain the minerals needed to build stuff. That might mean people would be less inclined to buy plex and sell them for isk to obtain the stuff they want. I doubt CCP thinks that is a good idea after nerfing gun mining to do just the opposite.
corestwo
#39 - 2012-11-30 19:43:16 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Kira Vanachura wrote:
The CSM has in its development strategy suggested an alternative solution for fixing 'the tritanium problem': removing mineral compression. The idea is that if you make it harder to move large amounts of low end minerals from hisec to nullsec the price of these minerals in nullsec will rise and people will start to mine more low end ores.
The tritanium problem is not caused by insufficient low end ores available in nullsec (there is plenty of veldspar and scordite in nullsec belts which is mainly left untouched). It's a problem because mining those ores pays little more than it does in hisec (which apparantly is percieved to be insufficient).
Although the removal of mineral compression sounds simple, it will require reviewing all the mineral requirements for all blueprints and making changes where needed.

I think buffing the less popular nullsec ores with low end minerals is an interesting solution to the problem. It would however reduce the amount of miner-hours needed to obtain the minerals needed to build stuff. That might mean people would be less inclined to buy plex and sell them for isk to obtain the stuff they want. I doubt CCP thinks that is a good idea after nerfing gun mining to do just the opposite.

Removing mineral compression does absolutely nothing to fix the problem. Alliances will continue to just import completed hulls instead of raising their local prices for low end minerals enough to induce miners to mine low end ores in belts. I suppose you can argue that JFs should be nerfed and so on as well, but the further you take it the more you're getting into spiteful "let's try to make it work by kicking nullsec players in the balls" territory instead of "lets try to make it work by making it worth doing".

In any case I should note that the proponents of the compression nerf in the development strategy document as well as CCP itself support the notion of reasonable local production anyway, and the CSM, at least, acknowledges that compression can't really be nerfed until local production is available. So there. Blink

You've got a point on the reduced man-hours thing, although I'd point out three things. First, my example was just that - an example - and I didn't account for man-hours at all. Second, it's not necessarily a bad thing anyway, as nullsec also has fewer miners to begin with. And third, if CCP were to adopt the idea and decided it was a bad thing, it's easy enough to tweak any or all of the units required to refine, the ore volume itself, or the content of a refine to adjust the man-hour number.

fofofo

M1k3y Koontz
Speaker for the Dead
Stay Feral
#40 - 2012-12-01 13:25:48 UTC
http://evenews24.com/2012/11/29/a-letter-to-csm-7-back-to-the-gates/

Is also another article worth looking at. Now, being in Nulli some might say I'm biased, but that doesn't lower the value of the article and it should get some thought.

Looking at how TiDi works, trying to move a 500 man blob (much less a 1000 man blob) through the gate system of EVE would be such an awful experience, that blob numbers would eventually have forced to split up, moving 250 man fleets one at a time, at least 5 systems apart to avoid 10% tidi while warping. Anyone who has ever tried to travel under tidi knows how awful that is, our 150 man Rokh fleet was coming home from a structure shoot and we somehow managed to caused 50% tidi for about 5 jumps, nobody else in system.

The titan bridge really has broken 0.0 warfare in its current state, made blobs way too easy, and completely eliminates the risk that a fleet would have to take going gate to gate (getting intercepted by their enemies before reaching the target)

It would also make blueballing harder, someone won't want to fly 20j under tidi just to blueball the enemy, which is entirely too possible with titan bridges, where you just undock, warp to the titan, then are told to stand down.

How much herp could a herp derp derp if a herp derp could herp derp.