These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Dev Blog: Happy Safe Fun Time!

First post First post
Author
ANGRY23
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#281 - 2012-11-29 15:41:07 UTC  |  Edited by: ANGRY23
I'm still waiting on valid reason from dev's from this team for implementing this unfinished product that isnt persistant and cant be set to default red/off. This shouldnt be force fed to low sec or null sec players if it cant like everything else in the client be customisable by the user and remembered when i log off. Every other team has been making changes based on customer feedback from testing and forum posts and have listened to feedback from us, so far i see devs only replying to questions regarding parts of this blog people arent whining about. Lots of cool stuff coming on tuesday and this just puts a massive smudge on the icing of an otherwise decent expansion.

Have it remember our prefences or dont add it till it can.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#282 - 2012-11-29 16:24:09 UTC
Some Rando wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
For now the saving grace is that if you forget it only takes a split second to switch it to a different state.

Eh... Don't you have to "confirm" changing safety state?

I know it's not the end of the world, it's just... stupid.

If you are lowering the level of safety, yes.
I'm not saying it should not be made persistant, however it takes far less than a second to make 2 mouse clicks. Of course that IS just long enough to miss getting a point on something. Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Jouron
Hadon Shipping
#283 - 2012-11-29 16:27:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Jouron
TLDR: 1. The new log off timer is just ugly and could be implemented in a more stream lined way.
2. Persistence mechanics were fine the way they were they just needed better explanation to new players
3. Safety is an interesting idea from a simulator stand point, and just because can/mission baiting is dead doesn't mean all forms of non invited pvp are dead.
Text wall apologies all around.

"Happy Safe Fun time!" Probably not the best title for this blog considering how much negative fire its drawn, people hear that name and they automatically think: "Hello kitty Online."

Honestly I dont think any of the devs behind this are "idiots or fools" I just have to say that the giant timer, was a little much. I mean when I saw how much real estate It took up on the screen. It was almost comical.

1. Now changes that make eve more inviting to new players could be helpful because it means theres more new players to pew. But changes that are too hand holdy seem slightly counter productive to the whole EVE is hard image. The timer is just too in your face. For crime watch you have these great little timers and sound effects for keeping track of flags, why couldn't that have been used instead of this giant bulky interrupting counter that pops up on your screen. Why not just have some kind of top left hand counter that would slowly tick down to a green check mark and then when you mouse over it it would simply state:"Clear to log off safely" or something along the lines of that.

2. I have never had a problem with the log off timer being a minute. Honestly other then bot ratters in nullsec I dont think any one has had a problem with that. The first time I got killed when I was logged off aggressed was a shock, but once It was explained it made sense. I dont think you need to mess with current persistence mechanics I just think you needed to explain the current ones better to new players.

Now for the safety button at first i thought it was cool because Im a big fan of realistic flight simulators like F18 super hornet etc, games where if your joystick has a safety you actually have to disengage it if you want any of your weapons to go hot. Simulator wise I liked the idea of it. The lack of explanation in eve meant people who did there homework had an advantage. Knowledge was power. So can flipping would be dead essentially, or tricking mission runners would be dead as long as they never touched the little green button. Un complicating aggression did seem a very Un EVE thing to do. You should always be able to gank some one if that gets your jollies off, but at the same time, some one shouldn't die because they didn't dig through the forums on day one to read some archaic rule regarding agression mechanics.

When I brought up some of the concerns i read on this forum about the safety with a friend he simply asked: "Can I still gank some one in high sec?" "Yes," "So the other players safety doesn't stop me from ganking them even if its on?" "Right" " Then why would I care?"

Its going to be very easy to pick up a suspect flag come the 4th. If you think no one will be flagged because there too afraid of getting blobbed I think you'll be surprised. Will you be able to 'trick' people. No. But honestly I feel thats a leveling of the playing field. If a random person flying by is flagged people may just decide,"What the hell Ill go for it," and still end up dying any ways the same way they would if they saw some one goes red next to there can or mission.

3. It may be more costly but we can still gank people in high sec, so no, just because mission and can baiting is gone doesn't mean all forms of that kind of pvp in high sec is dead. With the bounty system people like goons may just start putting bounties on miners directly to encourage there ganking and to make it profitable. People will just have to learn how to get fights with the new system. It doesn't mean those same fights just will cease to exist. We claim were more clever then people who dont read the rules. On dec 4th we'll have to prove it when rubber meets the road. It will be more about being a pool hustler, and less about being a lawyer. You cant win every case because of sub section b clause a any longer. You have to make people think they can beat you when they dont have a chance. Its eve. How hard is that? In both those situations you used miss direction to win.
Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#284 - 2012-11-29 16:28:57 UTC
ANGRY23 wrote:
I'm still waiting on valid reason from dev's from this team for implementing this unfinished product that isnt persistant and cant be set to default red/off. This shouldnt be force fed to low sec or null sec players if it cant like everything else in the client be customisable by the user and remembered when i log off. Every other team has been making changes based on customer feedback from testing and forum posts and have listened to feedback from us, so far i see devs only replying to questions regarding parts of this blog people arent whining about. Lots of cool stuff coming on tuesday and this just puts a massive smudge on the icing of an otherwise decent expansion.

1: Yes, it should be made persistant as soon as feasable, preferably in the point release that will follow shortly after the main release (since everything is feature locked at this point).

2: It would be incredibly stupid to make the default of a safety to be the "Off" position. Anything else would be extremely counter intuitive and user unfriendly. Don't undermine the only valid point you have.

3: How many alts are you going to post in this thread with. So far I count 2... or is it 3 now? Smile

View the latest EVE Online developments and other game related news and gameplay by visiting Ranger 1 Presents: Virtual Realms.

Keyanu
Safety Set To Red
Train Wreck.
#285 - 2012-11-29 16:32:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Keyanu
*snip*

EDIT:

Forum Rules wrote:

29. Personal attacks and abuse of CCP staff.

There has been a worrying trend of increased personal attacks on developers on our own forums as of late, this will not be tolerated. Our forums are an area for players to exchange ideas in a polite and friendly manner for the betterment of EVE Online. Players who abuse staff will receive a permanent forum ban across all of their accounts which will not be subject to review at any time.

Post edited for breach of the above rule - ISD Type40.

THIS WAS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK. LOOK UP THE DEFINITION.

All I was saying that there is yet another feature which has not been finished implemented on TQ. Any business with half a brain would know this is not good practice.

If this is deemed personal and offensive then I look forward to my 3 day forum ban like you have done to another corpmate of mine.
uNtOldPAIN
Native Freshfood
Minmatar Republic
#286 - 2012-11-29 16:33:03 UTC
Sees a target
*clicks module to shoot*
Box pops up " Dont you want to shoot? Yes/No"
Clicks "Yes"
Another box pops up" Do you really want to shoot? Yes/No"
Clicks "Yes"
Another box pops up "Really, are you sure you want to shoot? Last time I will ask. Yes/No"
Clicks 'Yes"
Looks for target that has now jumped 5 systems away.
SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#287 - 2012-11-29 16:33:22 UTC
Andy Moo wrote:
I mean seriously you're saying that this won't persist when you log out so I'll have to turn off your latest creation every time I log in and there will be no way you can implement that before the patch ? Says to me that this is yet another feature you're bringing in half finished.

Can I please request that in future when you implement a new feature the first thing you work on is the disable function, test that and then continue coding your latest abomination.

Edit: Person attack removed, CCP Phantom

Fantastic!

Now when I log on I will get to play "where the hell are my ships?" with the stupid inventory I can't turn off, (at this point enjoying a momentary feeling of relief that CQ at least can be turned off for good) then after several weeks of looking and having finally found it I undock, (which thanks to another CCP "improvement" takes another week) rush to join the fleet, several decades late, lock up a target hit F1... and watch the target escape as I hadn't thought about turning off the damn, stupid feature I turned off yesterday.

Thanks CCP for improving the gaming experience.

So I want to second Andy here, PLEASE before you implement a change add in that little bit of code that let's us remove it completely.

Scammers are currently selling killrights on this toon for up to 5mil, if you have paid for this service demand your money back at once.

Killing me should be for free.

CracatusMilo
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#288 - 2012-11-29 16:34:55 UTC
getting Concorded and trying to work out why, is one of the first steps in new players turn to all those great wikis and guides made by players past and present.

Have lost far more ships double clicking in space and not noticing.

IMHO think the safeties are unnecessary at best and a dumb-down at worst.

"If u loose one rifter to Concord, its a misfortune. to loose two is carelessness." Roll
SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#289 - 2012-11-29 16:36:01 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
ANGRY23 wrote:

1: Yes, it should be made persistant as soon as feasable, preferably in the point release that will follow shortly after the main release (since everything is feature locked at this point).

2: It would be incredibly stupid to make the default of a safety to be the "Off" position. Anything else would be extremely counter intuitive and user unfriendly. Don't undermine the only valid point you have.

3: How many alts are you going to post in this thread with. So far I count 2... or is it 3 now? Smile

Corpmates agreeing with him, yes but he has posted on no alts tyvm.

Oh and for a pirate setting the default to green/on is a pretty stupid idea which is why Angry is asking that we all as players have the ability to choose the default setting for our own needs.

Scammers are currently selling killrights on this toon for up to 5mil, if you have paid for this service demand your money back at once.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#290 - 2012-11-29 16:39:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
Jouron wrote:
TLDR: 1. The new log off timer is just ugly and could be implemented in a more stream lined way.
2. Persistence mechanics were fine the way they were they just needed better explanation to new players
3. Safety is an interesting idea from a simulator stand point, and just because can/mission baiting is dead doesn't mean all forms of non invited pvp are dead.
Text wall apologies all around.

"Happy Safe Fun time!" Probably not the best title for this blog considering how much negative fire its drawn, people hear that name and they automatically think: "Hello kitty Online."

Honestly I dont think any of the devs behind this are "idiots or fools" I just have to say that the giant timer, was a little much. I mean when I saw how much real estate It took up on the screen. It was almost comical.

1. Now changes that make eve more inviting to new players could be helpful because it means theres more new players to pew. But changes that are too hand holdy seem slightly counter productive to the whole EVE is hard image. The timer is just too in your face. For crime watch you have these great little timers and sound effects for keeping track of flags, why couldn't that have been used instead of this giant bulky interrupting counter that pops up on your screen. Why not just have some kind of top left hand counter that would slowly tick down to a green check mark and then when you mouse over it it would simply state:"Clear to log off safely" or something along the lines of that.

2. I have never had a problem with the log off timer being a minute. Honestly other then bot ratters in nullsec I dont think any one has had a problem with that. The first time I got killed when I was logged off aggressed was a shock, but once It was explained it made sense. I dont think you need to mess with current persistence mechanics I just think you needed to explain the current ones better to new players.

Now for the safety button at first i thought it was cool because Im a big fan of realistic flight simulators like F18 super hornet etc, games where if your joystick has a safety you actually have to disengage it if you want any of your weapons to go hot. Simulator wise I liked the idea of it. The lack of explanation in eve meant people who did there homework had an advantage. Knowledge was power. So can flipping would be dead essentially, or tricking mission runners would be dead as long as they never touched the little green button. Un complicating aggression did seem a very Un EVE thing to do. You should always be able to gank some one if that gets your jollies off, but at the same time, some one shouldn't die because they didn't dig through the forums on day one to read some archaic rule regarding agression mechanics.

When I brought up some of the concerns i read on this forum about the safety with a friend he simply asked: "Can I still gank some one in high sec?" "Yes," "So the other players safety doesn't stop me from ganking them even if its on?" "Right" " Then why would I care?"

Its going to be very easy to pick up a suspect flag come the 4th. If you think no one will be flagged because there too afraid of getting blobbed I think you'll be surprised. Will you be able to 'trick' people. No. But honestly I feel thats a leveling of the playing field. If a random person flying by is flagged people may just decide,"What the hell Ill go for it," and still end up dying any ways the same way they would if they saw some one goes red next to there can or mission.

3. It may be more costly but we can still gank people in high sec, so no, just because mission and can baiting is gone doesn't mean all forms of that kind of pvp in high sec is dead. With the bounty system people like goons may just start putting bounties on miners directly to encourage there ganking and to make it profitable. People will just have to learn how to get fights with the new system. It doesn't mean those same fights just will cease to exist. We claim were more clever then people who dont read the rules. On dec 4th we'll have to prove it when rubber meets the road. It will be more about being a pool hustler, and less about being a lawyer. You cant win every case because of sub section b clause a any longer. You have to make people think they can beat you when they dont have a chance. Its eve. How hard is that? In both those situations you used miss direction to win.

1: The timer is big because you will not be interacting with anything until the timer is done (unless in an emergency like being probed out and agressed). Once you click "safe log off" you don't touch anything else other than perhaps your scanner.

2: Persistance mechanics had some major flaws that were easily exploitable by bots, among other things. Being able to be agressed during the log off timer fixed a lot of those, but it needed the balance of a shorter timer when using that option. I think that we will find that most people that log off in a panic will still hit ctrl+q, and quite likely end up dying.

3: Pretty much agree.

Terrorfrodo
Interbus Universal
#291 - 2012-11-29 16:41:14 UTC
It will be quite hard to forget that your safety is enabled. Not only is there this shining green light, also your weapons are highlighted in red to show you that you cannot fire them under your current safety setting. This is quite hard to miss.

Yes, the safety setting needs to be made persistent. But the amount of rage flowing through this thread is totally exaggerated and it is quite clear that this little annoyance serves as a cover for rage aimed at the safety setting itself because some people fear that they'll miss out on easy kills.

Which isn't even true with the new pve combat flag and the ability to create pvp flags for pilots after they have logged off.

Seriously, non-consensual pvp is getting BUFFED, and all you people can do is predict doom and gloom Roll

SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#292 - 2012-11-29 16:46:31 UTC
Terrorfrodo wrote:
It will be quite hard to forget that your safety is enabled. Not only is there this shining green light, also your weapons are highlighted in red to show you that you cannot fire them under your current safety setting. This is quite hard to miss.

Yes, the safety setting needs to be made persistent. But the amount of rage flowing through this thread is totally exaggerated and it is quite clear that this little annoyance serves as a cover for rage aimed at the safety setting itself because some people fear that they'll miss out on easy kills.

Which isn't even true with the new pve combat flag and the ability to create pvp flags for pilots after they have logged off.

Seriously, non-consensual pvp is getting BUFFED, and all you people can do is predict doom and gloom Roll

It is the idea that this is being forced down my throat that annoys me especially as the only people who need it are the people who can't read a box that says, I paraphrase,

If you continue with this action you will be blown into small pieces and your ashes will be scattered across space... Are you sure you want to do this.

Oh wait I don't see that message cos I turned it off 3 years ago.

As for safety itself messing with my kills, if I can turn mine off for good it would have absolutely no damn effect on them.

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#293 - 2012-11-29 16:46:53 UTC
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
ANGRY23 wrote:

Oh and for a pirate setting the default to green/on is a pretty stupid idea which is why Angry is asking that we all as players have the ability to choose the default setting for our own needs.

Sure, sure, no alts involved. Whatever you say. Blink

As I said, I too am in favor of making the players choice of default preference persistant... but until we have that making the safety default to Green is the only sensible choice.

SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#294 - 2012-11-29 16:49:28 UTC
Ranger 1 wrote:
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
ANGRY23 wrote:

As I said, I too am in favor of making the players choice of default preference persistant... but until we have that making the safety default to Green is the only sensible choice.

Who cares what the initial setting is, we sure as hell don't, all we want is to log on when it goes live, turn it off and forget about it.

Oh and to help some people like Angry don't fly in corps containing only their alts they have others who will follow them :)

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#295 - 2012-11-29 16:53:00 UTC  |  Edited by: Ranger 1
SB Rico wrote:
Terrorfrodo wrote:

It is the idea that this is being forced down my throat that annoys me especially as the only people who need it are the people who can't read a box that says, I paraphrase,

If you continue with this action you will be blown into small pieces and your ashes will be scattered across space... Are you sure you want to do this.

Oh wait I don't see that message cos I turned it off 3 years ago.

As for safety itself messing with my kills, if I can turn mine off for good it would have absolutely no damn effect on them.

Again, nobody is arguing that they shouldn't be made persistant.

The point being made was that it will be virtually impossible for you to forget that the safety is on when you log in (your weapons are red, obvious green light in your face, etc.), and it takes less than a second to change it.

Hardly the end of the world, or even a serious issue. At worst, a very minor inconvenience .

Ranger 1
Ranger Corp
Vae. Victis.
#296 - 2012-11-29 17:01:50 UTC
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
SB Rico wrote:
Ranger 1 wrote:
ANGRY23 wrote:

Who cares what the initial setting is, we sure as hell don't, all we want is to log on when it goes live, turn it off and forget about it.

Oh and to help some people like Angry don't fly in corps containing only their alts they have others who will follow them :)

I'm well aware of the size, membership and mindset of your little group. Smile I have nothing against your organization as a whole, only the person or two posting in this thread with a thinly concealed "get rid of it altogether" agenda. Blink

Nobody cares if you want to turn it off and forget it, the only thing people are slightly concerned about is the ability to set it to the level they wish and have that setting persist. That satisfy's the needs of people in your line of work AND the rest of the EvE community.

SB Rico
Sumo Wrestlers
#297 - 2012-11-29 17:54:17 UTC  |  Edited by: SB Rico
Ranger 1 wrote:

I'm well aware of the size, membership and mindset of your little group. Smile I have nothing against your organization as a whole, only the person or two posting in this thread with a thinly concealed "get rid of it altogether" agenda. Blink

Nobody cares if you want to turn it off and forget it, the only thing people are slightly concerned about is the ability to set it to the level they wish and have that setting persist. That satisfy's the needs of people in your line of work AND the rest of the EvE community.

Obviously not so aware of our mindset as the point is we don't care if it exists or not, we just want the release of it delayed until it persists. While CCP are rushing this change in with a real last minute we know it doesn't work but we wanna do it anyway attitude. By their own admission they know it isn't finished but they seem to be taking the attitude that they will just chuck it anyway and hope noone complains so they don't need to make it work.

You are actually trying to discredit a bunch of people arguing for the same damn point but wanting CCP to sort that out BEFORE they launch it.

Or more simply...

Don't care what it's initial setting is
Don't care if it is implemented or not
CARE that it is implemented ONLY when it is finished

Strider Hiryu
Insane Shadow Boxers
#298 - 2012-11-29 19:40:03 UTC
Oh **** another neg 10 dude alt posting!!!!

I don't care about your useless new "feature"!
As long as i can disable it like your other useless features like, i dunno, captains quarters.

Thanks for your time
Peace be with your
May the force be with you.

Highauger EdenNight
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#299 - 2012-11-29 20:19:57 UTC
If only this new safety system existed in real life, I wouldn't have accidentally ram-raided Argos.

And congratulating that lady on being pregnant when she wasn't? we'll I guess that would have still happened.

good work
Highauger EdenNight
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#300 - 2012-11-29 20:22:13 UTC
Strider Hiryu wrote:
Oh **** another neg 10 dude alt posting!!!!

I don't care about your useless new "feature"!
As long as i can disable it like your other useless features like, i dunno, captains quarters.

Thanks for your time
Peace be with your
May the force be with you.

why are you even here man.
'peace be with your' lol peasant

Dev's keep up the good work, on behalf of the rest of us