These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

CSM7 Dec Summit Topic - Nullsec

First post
Author
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#1 - 2012-11-28 16:16:04 UTC
Details later

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#2 - 2012-11-28 16:53:29 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Even without details posted, I have feedback for you already. Big smile

Read this and give it to CCP: http://themittani.com/features/addressing-tritanium-problem

These, as well.
http://themittani.com/features/vision-thing
http://themittani.com/features/creation-and-destruction
http://themittani.com/features/destroying-shipyards

Combined, they cover a lot of ground regarding the economy and industry in nullsec, and why it's important. They also talk a lot about the idea of "bottom up" income.

Bottom up income is simply, we want an alliance to be able to thrive and function on the basis of the actions of its membership, rather than on moon mining, or taxing renters. For that to be the case, people need to want to live in an alliance's space and do all their activities there. They should want to make their money, by ratting, or mining, or by PI, or what have you, and the alliance should be able to collect taxes on those activities; note that for an alliance to be able to do that, a tax must be obligatory. For mining, it's not; I address this in the "Addressing the Tritanium Problem" article.

When it comes to taxes on commerce, it should actually be worth doing commerce in nullsec. That means improving the production facilities in some way or another, covered most thoroughly in the "Destroying the Shipyards" article. It means ability to set and collect taxes on those facilities, which admittedly already exists; however, with the rock bottom taxes on production in highsec, there isn't much room to adjust things there (this is a symptom of highsec production fees being too low, though). An alliance should be able to set its market fees as well. Right now we collect the broker fee, but can't set it, and the sales tax is still a sink. Ideally, we'd be able to set and collect both, though simply being able to set and collect the broker fee would be sufficient.

Finally, moon mining. CCP has talked about Ring Mining, and a lot of us who are interested in the topic have a lot of fears about it. Ring mining comes across as a jesus feature, when on its own it will do little to address the problems that nullsec has. While we like the general idea of replacing moon mining with a bottom-up income source that we can tax (hopefully; on the surface it would have the same problems that regular mining does with taxation), we worry that developing a complete, brand new system like that will absorb all of CCP's limited development time, leaving the many other problems the area of space has untouched as a result.

More thoughts to come if I think of them.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#3 - 2012-11-28 17:03:33 UTC
Yup, I have read all of those, and commented on a few of them. Those are pretty much the direction just about all of us want to take nullsec.

corestwo
#4 - 2012-11-28 17:27:34 UTC
Here's hoping CCP agrees with you then. Bear

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Zoe Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#5 - 2012-11-28 19:26:18 UTC
There's more to it than just hoping that CCP agrees. It's about getting them to devote the resources to make those things happen. Just agreeing in the abstract won't help much.
Snow Axe
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#6 - 2012-11-28 19:30:29 UTC
Zoe Arbosa wrote:
There's more to it than just hoping that CCP agrees. It's about getting them to devote the resources to make those things happen. Just agreeing in the abstract won't help much.

Unless you're present at the Summit, hoping is about all you can do. Ball's in the CSM's court to try to sell CCP on not only adopting this vision, but acting on it.

"Look any reason why you need to talk like that? I have now reported you. I dont need to listen to your bad tone. If you cant have a grown up conversation then leave the thread["

Zoe Arbosa
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-11-28 19:38:50 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:
Zoe Arbosa wrote:

Unless you're present at the Summit, hoping is about all you can do. Ball's in the CSM's court to try to sell CCP on not only adopting this vision, but acting on it.

I was referring to CCP agreeing not being enough. However, your point that hoping is all the playerbase can do is well made.
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#8 - 2012-11-28 19:59:54 UTC
Snow Axe wrote:

That simply isn't even close to true. We have all seen what CCP will do when the playerbase is really fired up about something, it was called Crucible. If those ideas had even a quarter of the enthusiasm we saw 18 months ago, CCP would devote the resources to get it done.

corestwo
#9 - 2012-11-28 20:51:32 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Two step wrote:
Snow Axe wrote:

That simply isn't even close to true. We have all seen what CCP will do when the playerbase is really fired up about something, it was called Crucible. If those ideas had even a quarter of the enthusiasm we saw 18 months ago, CCP would devote the resources to get it done.

Basically this, which is why I'm proposing them in a public forum and whatnot in addition to ensuring the CSM is reading them and whatnot.

Chitsa Jason wrote:

Null Sec

With more and more coalitions forming in null sec. It is harder for small corporations or alliances to get in without having friendly big guy. Not all people want to play 10.000 man coalitions. What would be your ideas to allow small entities to take foothold into null sec space?

I'd also like to touch on this from the main thread.

Numbers will never not matter, and coalitions are the result of player actions in the sandbox. Unfortunate, perhaps, but true. Changing that would require "fencing off" the sandbox in significant ways, and that's not an action that should be undertaken lightly, ever. And quite frankly, even if CCP were to come up with some way or another to try to limit corp sizes, limit fleet sizes, nerf big coalitions, it would be circumvented and/or abused somehow. To make that not the case, CCP would probably have to take measures that would make Eve no longer be Eve.

I'm sure I'll be accused of bias in that regard, seeing as I'm a director in the game's second largest coalition, but it's true whether you like it or not.

fofofo

Frying Doom
#10 - 2012-11-28 21:08:48 UTC
corestwo wrote:

Read this and give it to CCP: http://themittani.com/features/addressing-tritanium-problem

These, as well.

Combined, they cover a lot of ground regarding the economy and industry in nullsec, and why it's important. They also talk a lot about the idea of "bottom up" income.

Bottom up income is simply, we want an alliance to be able to thrive and function on the basis of the actions of its membership, rather than on moon mining, or taxing renters. For that to be the case, people need to want to live in an alliance's space and do all their activities there. They should want to make their money, by ratting, or mining, or by PI, or what have you, and the alliance should be able to collect taxes on those activities; note that for an alliance to be able to do that, a tax must be obligatory. For mining, it's not; I address this in the "Addressing the Tritanium Problem" article.

When it comes to taxes on commerce, it should actually be worth doing commerce in nullsec. That means improving the production facilities in some way or another, covered most thoroughly in the "Destroying the Shipyards" article. It means ability to set and collect taxes on those facilities, which admittedly already exists; however, with the rock bottom taxes on production in highsec, there isn't much room to adjust things there (this is a symptom of highsec production fees being too low, though). An alliance should be able to set its market fees as well. Right now we collect the broker fee, but can't set it, and the sales tax is still a sink. Ideally, we'd be able to set and collect both, though simply being able to set and collect the broker fee would be sufficient.

Finally, moon mining. CCP has talked about Ring Mining, and a lot of us who are interested in the topic have a lot of fears about it. Ring mining comes across as a jesus feature, when on its own it will do little to address the problems that nullsec has. While we like the general idea of replacing moon mining with a bottom-up income source that we can tax (hopefully; on the surface it would have the same problems that regular mining does with taxation), we worry that developing a complete, brand new system like that will absorb all of CCP's limited development time, leaving the many other problems the area of space has untouched as a result.

Did I miss the part where having massive amounts of Hi-sec minerals would not collapse the Hi-sec markets, and once again make mining a waste of time for everyone but Null residences?

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Zyrbalax III
Goldcrest Enterprises
#11 - 2012-11-28 21:30:14 UTC
corestwo wrote:

These, as well.

Find myself agreeing with a goonie (apart from the ring mining concern). Well that's a first.

Z3
corestwo
#12 - 2012-11-28 22:53:43 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Frying Doom wrote:

Did I miss the part where having massive amounts of Hi-sec minerals would not collapse the Hi-sec markets, and once again make mining a waste of time for everyone but Null residences?

If a hisec mining being a "waste of time" is the result of low prices, such as those found before they nuked the alloys out of the drone regions, then highsec mining has been a "waste of time" for most of the game's history, pretty much all of it except for the past six months. Nevertheless, people mined. Quite a lot of people mined, in fact. And, those same drone alloys produced an enormous amount of lowends. That didn't crush highsec mineral prices, neither would nullsec being able to provide for themselves locally.

Basically, your point is invalid.

Zyrbalax III wrote:
Find myself agreeing with a goonie (apart from the ring mining concern). Well that's a first.

Z3

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to ring mining in general, when treated in a vacuum. I think it'd be a neat feature and a pretty decent way of replacing moon mining with something driven by individual players.

My concern is that it's not in a vacuum. CCP does not have infinite manpower and time, and I fear that if faced with a choice, they'd choose to go with ring mining, half-assing or ignoring completely other changes. I feel that while those other changes (such as the industry revamps Weaselior proposes and the mining revamps I proposed) are probably less FLASHY than ring mining would be (maybe not if they did it via POS revamp as Weaselior suggests), they are more important to nullsec's overall health. Think of it as sort of analogous to how players reacted when they learned that CCP was neglecting flying in space in favor of walking in stations back around Incarna.

If CCP were to, say, deliver nullsec revamps one expansion, and then ring mining the next, that would be okay. Heck, if they could do them both in the same expansion and do a quality job, that would be better still. It's just that from the scope of the past couple expansions, I'm not sure they can.

fofofo

Frying Doom
#13 - 2012-11-28 23:05:09 UTC  |  Edited by: Frying Doom
corestwo wrote:
Frying Doom wrote:

If a hisec mining being a "waste of time" is the result of low prices, such as those found before they nuked the alloys out of the drone regions, then highsec mining has been a "waste of time" for most of the game's history, pretty much all of it except for the past six months. Nevertheless, people mined. Quite a lot of people mined, in fact. And, those same drone alloys produced an enormous amount of lowends. That didn't crush highsec mineral prices, neither would nullsec being able to provide for themselves locally.

Basically, your point is invalid.

No actually a lot of bots mined and that was almost it.

Think what you will, personally I think removing Null secs buying power out of Hi-sec minerals will crush the market worse than before.

But at least the up side is there are some new games coming out.

Because lets be honest they finally got Hi-sec mining to be a profession and now it is Null that is oversupplying the markets and not worth much.

Personally as I like mining, I don't think I could be stuffed continuing if they rooted it all up again.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#14 - 2012-11-28 23:48:08 UTC
Two step wrote:

Then how can we prove to CCP that lots of players really like these ideas ?
corestwo
#15 - 2012-11-28 23:53:16 UTC
Tanaka Aiko wrote:
Two step wrote:

Then how can we prove to CCP that lots of players really like these ideas ?

Liking the **** out of them might work. P

fofofo

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#16 - 2012-11-29 01:27:56 UTC
Two step wrote:
Yup, I have read all of those, and commented on a few of them. Those are pretty much the direction just about all of us want to take nullsec.

It is such a complex issue, I feel it will take several patches to address it all. But some of changes are so basic, they could easily be incorporated into point patches. (Null Market Fees for example) Maybe they can start sliding some of those changes in now while the debate happens.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

corestwo
#17 - 2012-11-29 02:24:37 UTC
Aryth wrote:
Two step wrote:

It is such a complex issue, I feel it will take several patches to address it all. But some of changes are so basic, they could easily be incorporated into point patches. (Null Market Fees for example) Maybe they can start sliding some of those changes in now while the debate happens.

Yeah, this is a critical point. We'd much rather have everything (albeit in a certain order) done right but more slowly, across two or even three patches, than rushed out the door half-baked in one.

And heck as long as we're talking about order, here's the priority, as I see it.

1. Industry and income revamp. Make it so our production facilities aren't sub-par garbage, whether through improving stations or letting us drop multiple stations or the POS revamp or whatever. Likewise, give nullsec more control over fees and such, and make a pass at various nullsec personal income sources.
  2. Mineral sourcing revamp. If the industrial facilities are good, production can and will happen via imported minerals (compression). Conversely, if facilities suck, locally sourced minerals just means a bunch of minerals we don't really want to use. Therefore, this has to happen no earlier than concurrently with revamps to nullsec industry.
  3. Further moon mining revamps. If moon mining stays on moons but is otherwise spread out to try to increase value to other minerals, great, we'll just mine more moons. But when (if?) it's removed entirely and replaced with a player driven bottom-up system like ring mining, we'd like to have functional local economies and other bottom-up sources to be able to transition by. Nuking moon mining out of existence first will leave nullsec starving until bottom-up revamps are delivered.

Separate are sovereignty system tweaks. I don't know if those are even on the table or how much players desire them, but they can probably happen at most any time.

fofofo

Ruareve
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#18 - 2012-11-29 04:15:18 UTC
I want to make one comment regarding this topic from the view point of a small alliance player looking at the inaccessibility of nullsec to the small group.

Fencing off areas of nullsec is something I think will have to be done to encourage small groups to expand into null. Having some kind of home system that can't be flooded with hostile supers, caps and fleets is just about the only way to let people try their hand at building a sandcastle that doesn't get automatically trampled by the sandbox gangs. The added safety of a home system would need to be compensated with lower resources. There are many ways to design such a system, but I think until there is a way for small groups to experience nullsec at a slower pace the population will never significantly shift out of high sec. The power curve is just too much in favor of the groups/players with years of experience and overwhelming numbers to make nullsec appealing to the general player base.

Yet another blog about Eve- http://ruar-eve.blogspot.com/

EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#19 - 2012-11-29 04:32:53 UTC
I think that group mining activities will be great for the game, but it shouldn't be the only form of group PvE in nullsec. 5/10/20/40 man incursion-style anomalies that give good isk/loot drops. It would allow people who aren't quite interested in mining to do something equally or slightly less productive if ring mining is overfarmed, and carry all of the group PvE farms and field benefits.

Worse null (and low for that matter) security space would be for smaller anomalies, for smaller entities to live in. Larger groups should want to abandon this type of space because they are able to make more money farming the larger sites and simply don't need or use it, unless it has specific strategic significance. Smaller entities should envy the larger groups. and their ability to make bank through their better space. They should want to disrupt them in order to demoralize them, drain their wallets, and take their space so they can farm it themselves.

Incursions are were a good thing for nullsec, and lowsec especially, and deserve a balance pass to make them worthwhile to run again. They were the first real large-group PvE farm for groups to enjoy and provided fun pvp activity when required. There are many lessons for CCP to learn from them that can we can apply elsewhere.

Nullsec power blocs, and "blob" warfare exists because it is simply the most effective way to play the game in nullsec. The solution isn't to have arbitrary limits on things, or otherwise fixing a symptom of the problem. One of the problems is that the current system of massive top-down income sources promotes it.

Changing the sov system is a huge task that requires input from all sides, but I think that it needs to be considered if the income fixes don't solve anything. The income changes would allow small groups to survive in nullsec, cause some shakeups in the sov map, and provide good feedback for what parts of the system are not working properly.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#20 - 2012-11-29 11:37:40 UTC
Pretty much what corestwo said, save perhaps that I'm a bit more enthusiastic about ring mining.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

123Next pageLast page