These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Jita Park Speakers Corner

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

CSM7 Dec Summit Topic - EVE Economy & PLEX

First post
Author
Two step
Aperture Harmonics
#1 - 2012-11-28 16:20:53 UTC
I suspect people are interested in the price of PLEX a little

CSM 7 Secretary CSM 6 Alternate Delegate @two_step_eve on Twitter My Blog

Tanaka Aiko
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#2 - 2012-11-28 17:18:14 UTC
Did CCP ever though about allowing some discount like a free 13th month when you charge 12 PLEXes on a row or something like this ?
We have GTCs which are a bit cheaper than PLEXes (as they have less utility, and more of a danger for the buyer - price could lower later), but that's all.
With a market always raising while we still think of the old prices, it's not really tempting to buy multiples PLEXes at once, as we are always hoping for the price to drop... but don't happen.
And obviously, the more it raise, the less chance we'll have alt accounts. I closed one 2 months ago for example, while some months before I was thinking about opening another one...
corestwo
Goonfleet Investment Banking
#3 - 2012-11-28 21:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Some thoughts of my own on PLEX pricing. Pass them on as you will.

One possible factor in PLEX inflation is subscriber growth and account growth - not the same thing! Subscriber growth is an increase in unique players. Each new player will have some chance of being a PLEX buyer (buying PLEX with real money to sell for isk, in other words) and a PLEX user. So long as the number of PLEX bought by buyers matches or exceeds those used by the users, this shouldn't overly contribute to inflation in prices. Account growth, on the other hand, is an increase in the average number of accounts per player, which could drive PLEX usage to exceed PLEX supply. This sort of inflation is okay, though.

Economically, I think PLEX prices are primarily driven by two factors: The liquidity of the economy, and player incomes. But, they affect them in different ways. I'll explain.

Liquidity in the economy of course refers to the amount of isk floating around. Based on old tweets from CCP Diagoras, this is probably up over 500T by now. But other old tweets tell us that it mostly sits idle. That idle isk functions as a buffer for those wealthier players - they're less likely to care about the exact price of PLEX. The actual movement of isk is low - less than 5% (perhaps 15T on a good day through the market, 1.5-2T via contracts, a few hundred billion through direct trade). But, if you can come up with a reason to raise that movement, to get that idle isk into the hands of relatively poorer players, you see an effect on plex prices.

Thus, income matters. Income is what I feel causes the increase in PLEX prices, and with this in mind it can be evaluated relative to a baseline in a few different ways.

1. Accessibility. If more players are able to do an activity, then more idle isk moves into their hands. Thus, an income available in highsec has the most potential to affect prices - anyone can do it, and in relative safety to boot.
  2. Magnitude. The more isk an activity pays, the more likely it is to drive an increase in prices, because it will increase the rate of movement of otherwise idle isk.
  3. Involvement required, otherwise expressed as the isk per effort ratio. The higher the isk per effort ratio, the better. This can obviously vary in many ways.
  4. Finally, ability to multibox, or horizontal scaling. One account yields a 100% return. The easier it is to multibox, the better, and the closer to an additional 100% yield each account can generate, the better.

I consider highsec L4 missions to be the baseline. Let's look at the criteria. They're infinitely accessible; being in highsec, skills and standings are the only barrier. Their magnitude is 15-50m per hour, depending on a variety of factors. They require a fairly high amount of attention to run optimally...you can (or could, not anymore once retribution comes out) practically AFK them in a well tanked Dominix, but your income drops as a result.

What about some other income sources?

Faction Warfare
Worst offender in the history of the game. Despite being in lowsec, it was highly accessible thanks to the low barrier to entry. Plexes could be farmed in frigates, while L4 missions were farmable by bombers, virtually eliminating the risk. The magnitude was of course through the roof. Effort required didn't even get up to real L4 missions - FW missions require you to kill far, far less. And it could be multiboxed pretty well. Orbiting plexes was low involvement meaning you could do it with several at once if you wished, while the way missions function meant much of the time was spent in travel, so if you added more alts you could take more missions at once and get more overlap in systems.

Incursions
Everyone likes to cite this because of the "faucet", but FW was a sink and it mattered. But no. Highsec incursions are just as accessible as L4 missions and indeed significantly overlapped in skillsets and ship requirements. They exceeded L4 missions by a considerable amount, without requiring much more involvement (especially once players got them down to a science), and they could scale horizontally quite well. Multiboxing three or four battleships for an incursion was no big deal.

Mining
Today's highsec mining dynamics are a perfect example of how big a role effort plays. The new mackinaw allows a miner to be extremely low effort, requiring attention only a few times an hour. Meanwhile, sky-high mineral prices mean that a single maxed out Mackinaw yields the same income as a low end mission runner. It also scales horizontally very well - if you add a second account in an Orca you only get a 50% boost out of it, but two or more Mackinaws plus an Orca will mine better than the same number of pilots in Macks. All you're bounded by is how fast you pop rocks, requiring you to retarget or move.

Based on this theory, there's no "quick fix". If CCP wants to regulate plex prices, they first need to get a ton of isk out of the economy by introducing more sinks to sop it up over the course of several months. At least for the time being, that means sinks would need to exceed faucets considerably, although once they've pared the excess down, a smaller net faucet is probably preferable. It has been speculated, incidentally, that DUST is meant to function as this sort of sink, but if that's the case it has to be a lot more meaningful than an optional system in FW space. On the income side, new sources of income need to be carefully evaluated to make sure they're appropriate given their accessibility, risk, effort required, and overall magnitude of income.

Just my theory, of course. Bear

vvv Yeah, that's the short version.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-11-28 23:28:44 UTC
We discuss PLEX pricing at length amoung ourselves. CCP needs to decide what the EVE "minimum wage" should be and start balancing to that.

Where minimum wage is defined as the maximum amount of hours the base profession takes to grind a PLEX per month. Until they do this, how can they possibly balance income streams.

Leader of the Goonswarm Economic Warfare Cabal.

Creator of Burn Jita

Vile Rat: You're the greatest sociopath that has ever played eve.

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#5 - 2012-11-28 23:42:55 UTC  |  Edited by: Mara Rinn
“Minimum wage?”

The only thing that matters is determining what price point PLEX users can bear, and attempting to balance the economy towards that. Perhaps you might call that price point divided by the average number of hours of ISK grinding per month “minimum wage” but what do you do when you find out that the ISK farming PLEX users are playing more hours a month to get the ISK to pay for the PLEX? Do you adjust the “minimum wage” down?

What do you do when it turns out that PLEX prices are influenced mainly by institutional buyers who routinely buy and sells dozens of PLEX per day? Would be allow CCP to place a limit on the number of PLEX orders per account?

I agree with corestwo that income sources and drains are just as important to consider as ISK faucets and sinks. Just because FW complex spinning didn't generate ISK in bounties doesn't make it okay. Sure, it sunk a lot of ISK out of the economy, but so would consumable vanity items such as vinyl cat suits and fancy ship skins.
corestwo
#6 - 2012-11-28 23:50:54 UTC
The idea of a "minimum wage" doesn't exclusively apply to controlling plex prices, y'know. Not even close. It also gives CCP a metric by which to evaluate new forms of income and decide if they're appropriate or not. As they don't seem to have anything like that, you instead get them just sort of playing whack-a-mole, with insane things like incursions or flat out "we've gone plaid" moments like faction warfare.

This post was crafted by a member of the GoonSwarm Federation Economic Cabal, the foremost authority on Eve: Online economics and gameplay.

fofofo

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-11-28 23:57:09 UTC
I am not disagreeing with corestwo at all. We are in complete agreement. I am saying that in order to balance EVE income streams (null,high,wh) you must have the basis for what you consider balanced vs what you want plex pricing to be.

PLEX pricing in EVE has always been hugely impacted (read: won't fall below) by the "easist" way to farm mass accounts. R&D cores, or PI, and now AFK mining in macks. PLEX is just a ratio of EFFORT:ISK. So, what is the best EFFORT:RATIO in EVE going to be? Where is it going to be, and how will that discourage mass farming, or afk-wealth generation. These are all things that need to be talked about in any discussion about the economy as a whole.

Should players be able to afk 40 hours a month and make what a player at the keyboard makes in 15? What should that ratio look like. This is what I am talking about.

Creator of Burn Jita

EI Digin
irc.zulusquad.org
#8 - 2012-11-29 01:16:06 UTC
I think that the more information that is given to the players the more informed the arguments are, and the better prepared we are for economic debates. The last official thing we got from the economic team was in May/June.

I miss the QENs.
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#9 - 2012-11-29 01:19:02 UTC
EI Digin wrote:
I think that the more information that is given to the players the more informed the arguments are, and the better prepared we are for economic debates. The last official thing we got from the economic team was in May/June.

I miss the QENs.

I miss Diagoras a lot more, his information was a hell of a lot more relevant.

Creator of Burn Jita

Cyprus Black
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-12-02 05:04:07 UTC  |  Edited by: Cyprus Black
I think it's not possible to accurately pinpoint why PLEX prices ingame are so high because it doesn't stem from one source exclusively. Bots contribute, ISK faucets vs ISK sinks contribute, RL player budgets contribute, ingame PLEX scamming contributes, as well as a myriad of other sources contribute.

Simply addressing one or two of these sources will not have as great of an impact on the prices as one would hope. None of us, including CCP, have a full and complete picture of everything that's affecting PLEX prices.

Summary of EvEs last four expansions: http://imgur.com/ZL5SM33

Elzon1
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#11 - 2012-12-02 05:06:05 UTC
How much effect do tech 2 logistic ships have on the demand and price of platinum technite and/or technetium?

With the switch to tech 1 logistic ships, will technetium/platinum technite be oversupplied on the market?

What effects have the new "stuff" for PLEX had on the price of it?

Any new "stuff" for PLEX programs planned for the future?
Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-12-02 16:06:00 UTC
Cyprus Black wrote:
I think it's not possible to accurately pinpoint why PLEX prices ingame are so high because it doesn't stem from one source exclusively. Bots contribute, ISK faucets vs ISK sinks contribute, RL player budgets contribute, ingame PLEX scamming contributes, as well as a myriad of other sources contribute.

Simply addressing one or two of these sources will not have as great of an impact on the prices as one would hope. None of us, including CCP, have a full and complete picture of everything that's affecting PLEX prices.

It really is possible. Especially for CCP. It isn't difficult to write queries to see where all the wealth generation for plex buyers is coming from. There is a reason PLEX basically stopped dead in its tracks after the FW nerf after rising like whoa since. AFK mining is another biggy, and probably the bigger of the two long term, but they have shown no indication yet they realize the mack is an issue.

But all of this just needs to assume one thing. If a player can make a new account, and do X with it, and X pays for that account and another account for say, 15 hours a month, player is gonna do X. EVE has had a baseline like this for many years and it represents one of the fundamental ways to trade plex. (lawl CCP sales are the new hotness)

Creator of Burn Jita

Daniel Plain
Doomheim
#13 - 2012-12-03 13:44:24 UTC  |  Edited by: Daniel Plain
please listen to the goonswarm trillionaires; they give a detailed and accurate picture of the problem (if you see it as a problem that is).

my humble proposition on getting ISK out of the economy is as blunt and simple as a doorknob: make people pay for NPC services. i'm not talking production slots, i'm talking jumps, docking, item and ship hangar space etc., pretty much anything the silly NPCs are providing for free out of the love goodness in their hearts.
to keep young players unscathed, you can stagger the fees by expected player wealth; moving around in a frigate or shuttle may cost you only 100ISK per jump/dock, but when you're hauling stuff in your jump freighter, you probably have the money to pay 100k or maybe more.

I should buy an Ishtar.

Aryth
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#14 - 2012-12-03 15:12:31 UTC
Daniel Plain wrote:
please listen to the goonswarm trillionaires; they give a detailed and accurate picture of the problem (if you see it as a problem that is).

my humble proposition on getting ISK out of the economy is as blunt and simple as a doorknob: make people pay for NPC services. i'm not talking production slots, i'm talking jumps, docking, item and ship hangar space etc., pretty much anything the silly NPCs are providing for free out of the love goodness in their hearts.
to keep young players unscathed, you can stagger the fees by expected player wealth; moving around in a frigate or shuttle may cost you only 100ISK per jump/dock, but when you're hauling stuff in your jump freighter, you probably have the money to pay 100k or maybe more.

They should phase in larger production slot fees in highsec first. Buff null industry a bit through making them closer to cost competitiveness, while actually making all this code to handle slot fees do something. Doing anything to limit player mobility in this way is probably bad for the game, make it a tax on the industry, but not a tax on movement itself. If you want to tax movement, the old "NPC Hauler service" they brought up a few years ago might be the way to go. Something expensive, but a sure thing.

Creator of Burn Jita

Orisa Medeem
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#15 - 2012-12-04 12:56:34 UTC
Do us a favor and remove "Eve Economy" from the thread title and session name. CCP has severed all but one economic discussions with us and they don't show any sign of picking it up again.

:sand:  over  :awesome:

Frying Doom
#16 - 2012-12-05 04:30:41 UTC
Let all skill books be made by Players with a BPO and minerals. Remove the NPC strangle hold.

Any spelling, grammatical and punctuation errors are because frankly, I don't care!!

Idgarad
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#17 - 2012-12-05 13:37:08 UTC
lol virtual Occupy protesters... Damn that capitalism and free market pricing. I'll bite just for fun. To ease PLEX prices why not just enforce your damn EULA and start perma-banning the people RMT'ing moon minerals, and botters who turn around buying 80 PLEXs a shot to fuel macro miners and botters. Oh wait... we saw what happened last time CCP did that, the bean counters **** bricks and sub numbers took a dive. Now it's a three strikes policy ensuring they can get a good return on those bots before they vanish. Just in time for the next bot to macro out an ROI.
Sizeof Void
Ninja Suicide Squadron
#18 - 2012-12-08 07:55:30 UTC
Don't particularly care much about arguing about in-game PLEX prices. Inasmuch as CCP has a monopoly on RL price and supply, they can always control the in-game prices, as they wish (or not).

However, as long as you mentioned the "EVE Economy", I would like to see CCP address the moribund T1 module market.

Since CCP Fozzie is rebalancing the gap between T1 and T2 ships, perhaps something similar should be done with T1 and T2 modules?
corestwo
#19 - 2012-12-09 05:09:01 UTC  |  Edited by: corestwo
Sizeof Void wrote:

Since CCP Fozzie is rebalancing the gap between T1 and T2 ships, perhaps something similar should be done with T1 and T2 modules?

The purpose is not to eliminate that gap and if that does happen as a result, I'm sure that the T2 ships will be rebalanced to restore the gap.

Idgarad wrote:
insane ramblings

If you think that the concept of a "minimum wage" as we describe it is some sort of rage against the machine down with the system type of thing, then I don't know what to say other than that you obviously have no clue the point being made.

fofofo

Alx Warlord
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#20 - 2012-12-10 17:25:23 UTC
This concerns me allot:

The existence of PLEX is the only reason that alowed me to play eve, since my country have so manny taxes that doubles or triples the price of subscription... so I gotta play to play.... and my time is short.... so....

Please try to do things to lower the plex price, or try to convince CCP to put EVE into a full free to play path, but still selling AUR for cosmetic upgrades ( including ship cosmetic upgrades, like putting logos and changing colors)
12Next page