These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

EVE Richness Metric

First post
Author
Demolishar
United Aggression
#1 - 2012-11-23 12:21:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Demolishar
How's this for a metric:

If you measure your wealth in integer M, you're poor.
If you measure your wealth in integer B, you're middle class.
If you measure your wealth in integer T, you're rich.

Would y'all say that's accurate?
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#2 - 2012-11-23 12:23:13 UTC
Why put pilots in classes?

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

Demolishar
United Aggression
#3 - 2012-11-23 12:24:50 UTC
Chribba wrote:

Cause I'm bored and statistics are fun.
Nanatoa
#4 - 2012-11-23 12:27:41 UTC
This has absolutely nothing to do with statistics.
Plus your class boundaries are based on convenience instead of some (any) sensible criterium; that's a Cardinal Sin

"Stay the course, we have done this many times before." - (CCP) Hilmar, June 2011

Inxentas Ultramar
Ultramar Independent Contracting
#5 - 2012-11-23 12:29:34 UTC
I kind of agree with OP. He only forgot to list K as the unit for newbie poverty.
Demolishar
United Aggression
#6 - 2012-11-23 12:29:35 UTC
The statistic here is whether people feel it's true. So far all I'm getting is people objecting on technical grounds.
Sisohiv
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-11-23 12:32:30 UTC
I think you need a sunshine list for hundreds of B because going from B to T is a huge leap.
Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#8 - 2012-11-23 12:34:29 UTC
Ok, then I feel those metrics could be better (not sure to what better).

Because this assumes K/M/B/T is equally linear to get to.

As such, it is as hard reaching K->M, as it is reaching from M->B, and B->T - this is something I do not find matching. So I do not feel the levels are correct.

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

oniplE
MeMento.
#9 - 2012-11-23 12:35:34 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
How's this for a metric:

If you measure your wealth in integer M, you're poor.
If you measure your wealth in integer B, you're middle class.
If you measure your wealth in integer T, you're rich.

Would y'all say that's accurate?

So if have 1.000.000 M i'm poor, 1.000 B i'm middle class and 1 T i'm rich?
DeBingJos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#10 - 2012-11-23 12:36:43 UTC
It's not about the wallet, it's about the assets.

Ungi maðurinn þekkir reglurnar, en gamli maðurinn þekkir undantekningarnar. The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.

Karn Dulake
Doomheim
#11 - 2012-11-23 12:41:29 UTC
if i can buy a UTU from Chribba and just fly it on autopilot around jita 4-4 and not care then i would consider myself rich
I dont normally troll, but when i do i do it on General Discussion.
Demolishar
United Aggression
#12 - 2012-11-23 12:42:38 UTC  |  Edited by: Demolishar
DeBingJos wrote:

Yeah, I changed it to "wealth".
Maybe we can call 100B-999B "upper middle class" and 1B-99B "lower middle class"
Wacktopia
Fleet-Up.com
Keep It Simple Software Group
#13 - 2012-11-23 13:16:36 UTC
Demolishar wrote:
Chribba wrote:

Class and wealth are not the same.

Kitchen sink? Seriousy, get your ship together -  Fleet-Up.com

Hazen Koraka
HK Enterprises
#14 - 2012-11-23 13:19:47 UTC
DeBingJos wrote:

Well to me it's the raw wallet number. I have craploads of assets, but finding hard to shift said assets effciently into raw isk. So I feel (moderately) poor until I can shift my assets into a higher ratio of raw isk.

Exploration is Random. Random is Random... or is it?! http://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html

Demolishar
United Aggression
#15 - 2012-11-23 13:31:00 UTC
Wacktopia wrote:
Demolishar wrote:
Chribba wrote:

Class and wealth are not the same.

Let's place a monetary value on the strings you can pull, then - you can now include "whatever you can realistically beg/borrow/steal" in your total wealth if you want.
Jacob Holland
Weyland-Vulcan Industries
#16 - 2012-11-23 13:41:19 UTC
For a start jumping simply by orders of magnitude is far too blunt an instrument and, in fact, the raw ISK value of a character's assets is misleading in and of itself. A mission runner (who does nothing else) will probably feel himself rich once he has a couple of billion in cash, a CNR and a bunch of faction and deadspace shield mods, whereas a corp thief who has made off with tens of billions in minerals and a couple of tournament ships which he cannot easily sell may not - although the latter's assets are vastly greater, numerically.

The earning potential is also a major factor - it is relatively easy to make millions as a new player these days but when I started a lot of us were chuffed to bits if we got to 1 million after our first week and I, who had been given six million by people I knew out of game, was incredibly space rich because my head start was equivalent to three or four times the time I'd spent in game. While not rich in absolute terms wealth of that sort allowed vast largesse in relation to the pilots within the peer group - in a manner similar to the kid at school who got ten times the pocket money everyone else had.
The same six million now would mean broke, down on my uppers and as near totally skint as it's possible to be - and for those who deal day to day in tens of billions dropping as far as a hundred mil would probably have a similar effect...
Demolishar
United Aggression
#17 - 2012-11-23 13:44:38 UTC
Jacob that's fine if you consider richness as something subjective. But in a game where everything is quantifiable, I don't believe "feeling" rich has anything to do with being rich.
Auric Veldfinger
Doomheim
#18 - 2012-11-23 13:50:42 UTC
I'm aspirational middle class, I kept the plastic on the sofa in my captain's quarter for a year after I bought it.
Kainotomiu Ronuken
koahisquad
#19 - 2012-11-23 13:51:44 UTC
No, 'richness' is undeniably subjective, because I thought I was minted when I made my first 10 million as a newbie, and now I think I'm dirt-poor even though I can make far more than that whenever I want. You can define relative wealth ("I have more money than the average EVE player." "I have more money than 95% of EVE players". "I have less money than 30% of EVE players.") but you can't tell anyone whether or not they're rich.

Besides, your scale is also terrible. I'd feel very rich if I had 988 billion ISK, but I'd still measure that in billions.
Silk daShocka
Greasy Hair Club
#20 - 2012-11-23 13:55:29 UTC
I can only assume integer T is technetium
123Next pageLast page