These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Alliance Tournament Discussion

 
  • Topic is locked indefinitely.
 

Replays! I am brilliant.

First post
Author
SpeedY G0nZaleZ
Perkone
Caldari State
#1 - 2012-11-21 23:50:48 UTC
If you want this to be an eSport then it will probably help to have the arena record the matches for playback later.

Just have a dev whip it off. Can't take more than 10 minutes. :P

But seriously it is tough to see what is going on. Having the ability to at least watch from a cameraman view and go through it would be a big asset to even veteran gamers trying to figure out the thousands of actions taken during a match.
Toterra
Parental Control
PURPLE HELMETED WARRIORS
#2 - 2012-11-22 01:51:26 UTC
xo3e
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#3 - 2012-11-22 07:58:03 UTC
Toterra wrote:



its p useless

only real replays like in dota2 with all its features can be used for analyzing a match.

simple video with r e t a r d e d camera views and lack of information about actions of a specific person - is just useless for players (not for spectators)

Signature removed. Navigator

Tyrrax Thorrk
Guiding Hand Social Club
#4 - 2012-11-22 08:07:31 UTC
hardly useless, quite helpful of him really

kinda annoying that there's no ISD site for this tourney with basic information
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2012-11-22 11:05:39 UTC
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
Just have a dev whip it off. Can't take more than 10 minutes. :P

Yeah it can ;(

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Seldarine
Resolute Supremacy
#6 - 2012-11-22 11:21:34 UTC
Toterra wrote:


Thanx for this, this will save many alot of time :)
SpeedY G0nZaleZ
Perkone
Caldari State
#7 - 2012-11-22 12:43:20 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
Just have a dev whip it off. Can't take more than 10 minutes. :P

Yeah it can ;(


I was joking, as a developer I hear this all the time.

It may be a large undertaking, it may even not be possible due to the way the codebase is. Oh and you would need a file format to store all that information. And a replayer...
CCP Veritas
C C P
C C P Alliance
#8 - 2012-11-22 13:08:14 UTC
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
CCP Veritas wrote:
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
Just have a dev whip it off. Can't take more than 10 minutes. :P

Yeah it can ;(


I was joking, as a developer I hear this all the time.

It may be a large undertaking, it may even not be possible due to the way the codebase is. Oh and you would need a file format to store all that information. And a replayer...

Yeah, I spent some time investigating how hard it would be to do proper replays. I ran away screaming.

Improper replays though, those might be possible some day.

CCP Veritas - Technical Director - EVE Online

Bloodpetal
Tir Capital Management Group
#9 - 2012-11-22 13:55:56 UTC
CCP Veritas wrote:
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
CCP Veritas wrote:
SpeedY G0nZaleZ wrote:
Just have a dev whip it off. Can't take more than 10 minutes. :P

Yeah it can ;(


I was joking, as a developer I hear this all the time.

It may be a large undertaking, it may even not be possible due to the way the codebase is. Oh and you would need a file format to store all that information. And a replayer...

Yeah, I spent some time investigating how hard it would be to do proper replays. I ran away screaming.

Improper replays though, those might be possible some day.



What is an improper replay? CCP going to distribute VHS recorders? Pirate

Where I am.

Bienator II
madmen of the skies
#10 - 2012-11-22 14:49:27 UTC
i am wondering the same. Technically the player is already done. Its your client. Storing the replay on file is not the best solution for eve because of the existing meta game . All what is needed is to mock out the server and store the replay on the server and let players replay it by logging in special account or something (this would be the minamalistic version at least). This is btw a popular way how to test complex client-server systems.

how to fix eve: 1) remove ECM 2) rename dampeners to ECM 3) add new anti-drone ewar for caldari 4) give offgrid boosters ongrid combat value

Fatyn
AQUILA INC
Verge of Collapse
#11 - 2012-11-22 19:14:01 UTC
The idea of a battle recorder / replay function built into the EVE client has been floating around for some time and is super awesome. However since Veritas is also super awesome I'm sure he's up to the task :)