These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Factions - questions

First post
Author
Yulke Tellean
Doomheim
#1 - 2012-11-20 19:26:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Yulke Tellean
Hi.
I'm new to Eve and I have questions about factions:

1) Which faction has most / least players?
2) Is there is difference in the community among the factions? (XY has more roleplayers, YZ has more hardcore players, ...)
3) How do they compare in PVP / PVE?

Thanks.
Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#2 - 2012-11-20 19:43:26 UTC
Since any race/faction character can use any other races' ships and share a corp with other race characters, once you leave the initial starting corp and tutorials there is little distinction between which race/faction you start as.

In terms of RPers - while a great deal of RP seems to be happening 'behind the scenes' and thus it's hard for me to tell, Caldari seems to be the most represented among what remains of the RP community. Minmatar and Amarr are second and third right now, with Gallente rounding off the group.
Merouk Baas
#3 - 2012-11-20 19:44:18 UTC
Most people ignore factions and instead metagame within their own corps or alliances (i.e. it's about kills, owning others, keeping space, and making ISK rather than about roleplaying space elves).

But:

1. Caldari are popular because their ship lineups are easy to get into and do missions, for newbies. Shields and missiles are a bit more forgiving than having to get up close with some sort of guns and an actual tank that can withstand damage.

2. Amarr and Minmatar have more roleplayers (there are easier hooks for roleplayers - they can pick a stance on religious self-righteousness vs. tribal brotherhood, and pro vs. anti slavery - and roleplay from there). Though with the advent of FW and the Gallente-Caldar conflicts escalating, those two groups also have hooks related to patriotism and revenge against crimes of war performed by the other side, etc.

3. Roleplayers are a small minority of the playerbase. PVE is about gaining wealth and power, and PVP is about getting kills with your buddies and large alliance politics. Ships can be trained regardless of what character faction one is, and so people don't pay attention to it. It's more about groups and timezones, really, your alliance vs. your enemies, US timezone vs. European, etc.
Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#4 - 2012-11-20 19:46:08 UTC
If you are interested in Roleplay feel free to contact me in game, i know a few interesting corporations, maybe i could help you to meet people Smile
Yulke Tellean
Doomheim
#5 - 2012-11-20 19:56:16 UTC
The least roleplayers are in Gallente? I would've never guessed. Huh, I guess I will change faction.
Thanks everyone...

One more question:
It's possible to attack anybody, even if he's from your own faction, right?
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#6 - 2012-11-20 19:57:08 UTC
Yulke Tellean wrote:
Hi.
I'm new to Eve and I have questions about factions:

1) Which faction has most / least players?
2) Is there is difference in the community among the factions? (XY has more roleplayers, YZ has more harcore players, ...)
3) How do they compare in PVP / PVE?

Thanks.

1.) Although you choose 1 faction when you make a character and start in one of their NPC corps. You are by no means limited / bound to that faction.

You can be a Caldari character flying Minmatar ships while living in Amarr space for instance.

This is even more true with the corporations/alliances in game. They are a mix of characters of mixed factions usually, most players are more bound to their own corp / alliance then they are to any of the NPC factions.

2.) See above, EVE is more about corps and alliance then actual factions.

But to add to that...

Caladari missile boats seem to be the flavor for missions/ratting. They are easy to train, missiles are easiest to do damage with (select able damage type, no need to watch transversal / tracking, etc.) though with up comming patch there will be some whacks with the Nerfbat going on (Drakes, Tengus).

Roleplayers are there, but again in 2 degrees, the ones that are hardcore roleplayers and really stick to their RP and some who are bit less hardcore on it.

Last, there is Faction Warfare (FW) which involves the major wars between the 4 main factions. Caldari vs Gallente + Amarr vs Minmatar. In this Caldari and Amarr are 1 block and Gallente and Minmatar are the other.

3.) There is tons of PvE in EVE:

* Missions
* Exploration sites
* DED complexes
* Ratting
* Incursions

Again, most of this (well except the missions) are not linked to factions. Missions are kind of linked to them in a way that you run missions for a particular NPC corp that belongs to a NPC faction. But Amarr and Caldari agents all pull missions out of the same mission pool.

PvP, well it's Player vs Player not Player vs Faction. So it depends on what type of PvP you do, and cause any player from any faction can join anything they want you can see that an Amarr pilot fighting on Amarr side in FW can still shoot other Amarr characters that joined the Minmatar part.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#7 - 2012-11-20 20:00:01 UTC  |  Edited by: J'Poll
Yulke Tellean wrote:
The least roleplayers are in Gallente? I would've never guessed. Huh, I guess I will change faction.
Thanks everyone...

One more question:
It's possible to attack anybody, even if he's from your own faction, right?

Really depends on who you shoot.

It's not simple to say you can shoot person x cause there are multiple ways to let you shoot someone and the same amount of rules that will get you CONCORDed if you shoot them.

The number of Aggression mechanics in EVE are long:

* War dec
* FW enemy
* Low-sec PvP (with sec standing drop)
* Null-sec PvP
* Criminal shooting (people with -5 or lower sec status)
* Can flipping PvP
* Suicide ganking
* In corp shooting (which is totally legit - but only in player runned corporations).

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
Monyusaiya Industry Trade Group
#8 - 2012-11-20 20:00:53 UTC
Note! You don't have to stick to roleplaying a faction (not one of the big 4 or even any of the pirates), although that would probably be easiest for a beginner. Doing so just gives you some inbuilt hooks to build your character around.
Yulke Tellean
Doomheim
#9 - 2012-11-20 20:12:12 UTC
J'Poll wrote:

It's not simple to say you can shoot person x cause there are multiple ways to let you shoot someone and the same amount of rules that will get you CONCORDed if you shoot them.

Thanks, but I meant if I can attack the same faction (just anywhere in space), not if I can do so without punishment.
So... I can attack anybody anywhere, but it can have bad consequences. Correct?
J'Poll
MUSE LLP
RAZOR Alliance
#10 - 2012-11-20 20:15:09 UTC
Yulke Tellean wrote:
J'Poll wrote:

Thanks, but I meant if I can attack the same faction (just anywhere in space), not if I can do so without punishment.
So... I can attack anybody anywhere, but it can have bad consequences. Correct?

As soon as you undock you can start shooting anybody or be shot at by anybody.

Doing it in high-sec space without legit reasons will however end in a quick but beautiful explosion of your ship by CONCORD (NPC Police that punishes those who shoot others in high-sec without legit reason).

ISD LackOfFaith
ISD Community Communications Liaisons
#11 - 2012-11-20 20:42:55 UTC  |  Edited by: ISD LackOfFaith
The relevance of your original race is limtied to:

• Which noobship (Impairor, Reaper, Velator, Ibis) you get for free whenever your pod docks at a station where you have no ships
  • A slight headstart in that race's ships/weapon systems -- about a few hours of skill training
  • A slight bias of your faction and its allied factions liking you (and the enemy factions slightly disliking you). This can be reversed by running missions for whoever you want to like you.

That's it for functional differences. Any race can train the ships of any other race (I myself fly ships of all races and can use every kind of weapon system), anyone can go anywhere they want, and "space laws" apply equally regardless of your origin.

A small note is that, choosing to have a faction like you and gaining their favor, results in extra good stuff: better missions, lower market taxes (I think; I'm not a market expert), and other goodies. On the other hand, annoying a faction to the point of hate will make their NPCs automatically shoot you when you enter their space. It's a hindrance for big ships, but not much more.

That's it! So far as RP and who you can be friends with, there is a wide variety. I've seen Amarr RPing for civil rights (and being proud to call themselves "heretics"), and Gallente touting corporatism. You do what you want: join whomever you want (if they will have you), or start your own movement. If you're interested in RP, I would recommend checking by the Intergalactic Summit RP subforum to see what's up.

ISD LackOfFaith

Captain

Community Communication Liaisons (CCLs)

Interstellar Services Department

I do not respond to Eve Mail or anything other than the forums.

Yulke Tellean
Doomheim
#12 - 2012-11-20 21:26:10 UTC
ISD LackOfFaith wrote:
The relevance of your original race is limtied to:

• Which noobship (Impairor, Reaper, Velator, Ibis) you get for free whenever your pod docks at a station where you have no ships
  • A slight headstart in that race's ships/weapon systems -- about a few hours of skill training
  • A slight bias of your faction and its allied factions liking you (and the enemy factions slightly disliking you). This can be reversed by running missions for whoever you want to like you.

Thanks... This helped me a lot.
Merouk Baas
#13 - 2012-11-21 02:51:55 UTC
Oh, you were asking if we're split into Horde vs. Alliance? No, we're not. The split is actually players vs. NPCs.

The Evelopedia has a lot of roleplay background information; basically, 6,000 years of tech progress, followed by twice that long of "dark ages" - people being planet-bound, followed by re-discovering all the space flight stuff. And then after 23,000 years of just getting to fly ships again and some wars, the pod technology gets invented and we take over the galaxy in 10 years. There are probably a few chronicles giving the NPC's opinions on that.

We're uncontrollable, rich in the billions of ISK (presumably, a loaf of bread still costs 1-3 ISK), and crazy (we can't die so we don't care about ship crews dying, trillions lost, planets bombed from orbit, none of that). We don't care about the empires, and CCP has adjusted the lore to reflect that the empires realize that.

Most players really don't care about the NPC empires, and for those who do, the roleplay is set in a modern society where you can be a citizen of one empire and still have complex views on what's going on, travel around unhindered, buy vehicles from foreign manufacturers, etc. It's more sophisticated than medieval themes of "you killed my father, prepare to die."
Katran Luftschreck
Royal Ammatar Engineering Corps
#14 - 2012-11-21 04:01:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Katran Luftschreck
Caldari is the #1 choice, because shield tanking > armor tanking. Missiles have been nerfed back into sanity over the last couple of years, but that doesn't change shield tanking being the best way to handle PvE. Due to the psychological implications of RP in a society such as theirs, they tend to attract older & more experienced gamers. Lots of European gamers, too, for some reason. I have no idea why.

Minmatar is the #2 choice, because zero-capacitor overpowered cannons are pure win and the tactics required when you've got 50km of falloff bracket are effectively nil. Also, internet tough guys can't resist giant sunglasses. The attract the youngest gamers by far. And Russians. Lots & lots of Russians. See "sunglasses" above.

Gallente is the #3 choice, because drones are pretty neat and younger yanks are naturally drawn to the word "democracy." Downside is a tendency to depend more on armor tank, but that's more in theory - generous mid slots make shield tank still viable, even if it's not what CCP intended. They tend to attract your broadest age range of gamers, from the youngest to oldest, from the smartest to the dumbest - you never know what to expect in terms of a Gallente player, other than they're probably American.

Amarr is the #4 choice, because lasers to diddly-squat for damage compared to the other choices (really, their only advantage is in not needing ammunition) and the general lack of mid-slots force you into armor tanking, all makes it so that Ammar ships a generally poor choice for PvE. Plus the strong religious angle tends to rub the science fiction gamer demographic the wrong way. Like the Caldari, they tend to attract an older crowd who enjoys a serious challenge.

Note that I am not mentioning anything about PvP in this list, because that's a whole different world, though from what little I've seen it's not too much different. If one looks at FW as a measuring stick, PvP goes like this: Minmatar, Caldari, Gallente, Ammar.

So in summary:

If you like to win through superior technology, play Caldari.
If you like to win with no effort, play Minmatar.
If you like to win and look sexy doing it, play Gallente.
If you like every win to be against the game mechanics odds overwhelmingly stacked against you, play Amarr.

http://youtu.be/t0q2F8NsYQ0

Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#15 - 2012-11-21 12:03:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Louis deGuerre
Read the backstory of the races (and bloodlines) and choose what you find interesting,
Every race has great ships and no decisive advantages over the other races. The nerf bat goes round and round...

Raise the Flag I: Until All Are Free
Raise the Flag II: Amarr Victor
Raise the Flag III: Fear The Tribes
Raise the Flag IV: Glory To The State

PORTAL:EVE FICTION
Doddy
Excidium.
#16 - 2012-11-21 12:08:37 UTC
Amarr are great in pve and pvp, they just require more sp thanks to dumb fitting/cap requirements. Most powerful pvp fleet around these days are abaddon/navy apoc fleets, zealot/legion fleets and kiting oracle fleets all because lasers are wtfbbq overpowered. In PVE they are great but only if you stick to killing blood raiders/sanshas/amarr as they are limited by damage type. Nightmare is king as it combines wtf overpowered lasers and wtf overpowered shield tanking in a single package
Yulke Tellean
Doomheim
#17 - 2012-11-21 22:21:45 UTC  |  Edited by: Yulke Tellean
Merouk Baas wrote:
Oh, you were asking if we're split into Horde vs. Alliance?
Busted. I am a WoWer. :-P

Katran Luftschreck wrote:

If you like to win through superior technology, play Caldari.
If you like to win with no effort, play Minmatar.
If you like to win and look sexy doing it, play Gallente.
If you like every win to be against the game mechanics odds overwhelmingly stacked against you, play Amarr.

Just the kind of information I was seeking! You play Caldari, right?

I was torn between Minmatar and Gallente and I still am. The other two clash with my freedom-loving philosophy. Well...
Merouk Baas
#18 - 2012-11-21 22:36:22 UTC
Make your decision based on looks, then. You can play with the character creator, just cancel out at the last step.