These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE General Discussion

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Are hybrids inherently broken and impossible to fix?

Author
Igualmentedos
Perkone
Caldari State
#21 - 2011-10-20 15:30:31 UTC  |  Edited by: Igualmentedos
I agree with the other posters saying the boats need fixed, not necessarily the weapon system. Also, I would like to see a nice buff to Caldari boats.

- Make their target range HUGE! Why is it the rokh's guns can out range the tracking computer thingy? (i understand typically bullets go much further than someone's ability to aim IRL, but it's a video game FFS)
- Also, increase the optimal on caldari boats please. Whats the point of trying to kill something when you can barely scratch the paint on it?

These are some ideas off of the top of my head. Ultimately, I'd like to see sniping become a feared tactic. Snipers should make people **** their pants. Missiles don't count. A couple thousand years and our missiles are slow as ****, yeah thanks CCP.
a'akanelle
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#22 - 2011-10-20 15:52:33 UTC
One suggestion I have not seen much of is using the traditional scram/disruptor range bonuses on the Arazu and the Keres to a ship like the Deimos (a la the Adrestia). Deimos with a 30-40km scram would definitely put a stop some of the kiting, and would allow it to get closer more easily.
Alara IonStorm
#23 - 2011-10-20 16:00:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Alara IonStorm
a'akanelle wrote:
One suggestion I have not seen much of is using the traditional scram/disruptor range bonuses on the Arazu and the Keres to a ship like the Deimos (a la the Adrestia). Deimos with a 30-40km scram would definitely put a stop some of the kiting, and would allow it to get closer more easily.

That would take away the Arazu and Keres jobs though. I would prefer a straight up MWD Speed Bonus, the Blaster Range to reach the edge of Scram and enough power to fit Ions or Nuetrons.

Don't make fast enough it to kill Vagabonds, make it so it can run down and OBLITERATE! Hurricanes, Harbinger's non speed bonused HAC's with overwhelming Blaster DPS. That the major problem, not ony can a Hurricane out fight a Deimos, a Nanocane can out run it. If it can not it can keep it at range for a short time while it's cap slowly burns out on the MWD then the second it gets the Deimos in Nuet range there goes it's guns. It's gotta rush in there like a bat out of hell and tear that thing apart fast. Maybe dump the free high slot for a mid that fits Cap Booster or 2nd Web.

Make it a fast little Sledge Hammer that rushes in on top of you and just starts swinging. Not a modified EW Boat.
a'akanelle
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#24 - 2011-10-20 16:19:21 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:
That would take away the Arazu and Keres jobs though. I would prefer a straight up MWD Speed Bonus, the Blaster Range to reach the edge of Scram and enough power to fit Ions or Nuetrons.

True to a point, but I think the combination bonuses to Gallente make sense (i.e. blasters, damps to bring ships closer, bonuses scrams, and tracking links on the Oneiros), I would love to see the existing combinations tweaked a bit to give people a reason to use ships and mods in conjunction to reach maximum effectiveness. Maybe see some all Gallente gangs flying about.
Stan Smith
State War Academy
Caldari State
#25 - 2011-10-20 16:46:18 UTC
GeeShizzle MacCloud wrote:
tbh with rails u cant go DPS and u cant go for alpha.. so you have to think what sort of fleet combat niche can be filled with it.

i see them as the longest range (but keep it within 250km plz!) and fastest tracking of all long range weapon systems, but the worst alpha, with better dps than beams. they need to have a high rof.

the interesting addition should be to sensors, like the railgun turret ties itself into the sensor systems of ships and boosts it. so a small bonus per turret to sensor resolution, lock range, and sensor strength.
this would allow it to become the backbone of a fleet type that can swap targets fast and apply damage fast at range to beat logi lock times and pilots broadcast times.

This, give the ferox a hybrid damage bonus, and make caldari missile ships get damage bonuses for non-kinetic missiles (10% to kinetic, 5% to others is fine with me)

Quote:
- Make their target range HUGE! Why is it the rokh's guns can out range the tracking computer thingy? (i understand typically bullets go much further than someone's ability to aim IRL, but it's a video game FFS)
- Also, increase the optimal on caldari boats please. Whats the point of trying to kill something when you can barely scratch the paint on it?

since caldari gunships dont have optimal range ship bonuses

wait...

☻/ /▌ / \ This is Bob, post him into your forum sig and help him conquer the forums.

Barbelo Valentinian
Federal Navy Academy
Gallente Federation
#26 - 2011-10-20 19:26:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Barbelo Valentinian
I think there has to be some sort of "bull rush" ability for Gallente blasterboats, as others have said (MWD bonus of some kind?).

Gallente blasters are the equivalent of "melee" in other games - ultra-close range, ultra-high damage. To have "melee" without some kind of reasonably high-cost but effective (at decent skill level) means to get into range just makes nonsense of "melee".

Also, Gallente are supposed to be pretty high tech aren't they? It makes sense that they could be able to overcome their mass disadvantage for short periods in order to be able to "rush" their opponent by squeezing uber performance out of the MWD for short periods with respectable cooldowns (so you can maybe only use it once every few minutes).

I suggest a special ability for Gallente blasterboats that enables an overdrive injector in the lows to act as a sort of "hyper boost" for MWD, changing the nature of the MWD clickie to the "bull rush" ability (i.e. super fast for short time, long cooldown). That way you'd still have to sacrifice a little tank for gank, but with a PG increase, you could still fit a semi-decent armor tank even with sacrificing one slot to the "special" overdrive injector ability.

An alternative might be making dampeners much more effective on Gallente ships?

The rationale that the weapon type that needs to get in range, but has big fat heavy ships, should try and "tempt" the enemy to get into that range - that kind of makes sense, doesn't it? Maybe drone boats could work more like this, to bring opponents into close range for extra hurt from guns - as opposed to the blasterboats specifically, which could be bonused with the MWD thingy.

Oh yeah, and more PG please - at high skills, you should be able to fit your top class T2 weapons and some kind of semi-decent tank, like other races can. That's very rare with Gallente, which is ridiculous.

With nearly all Gallente ships, a lot of the time, it seems to make more sense to fit autos and arties, even taking into account the relevant bonuses and lack thereof. How borked is that?
Caulk H0lster
Kazakh Ministry of Wealth Redistribution
#27 - 2011-10-20 19:35:46 UTC
Not ALL of the things that the OP laid out NEED to be fixed.

Blasters, and to a lesser extent, rails, need to be worth using for something. For blasters, I would see that advantage as raw DPS. Right now though, the extra DPS blasters do just simply isn't enough to offset the weaknesses they bring to the table in their design and the ships designed to use them. Every other "short-range" weapon system our-ranges them significantly. Therefore, in a straight-up fight, the blaster boat has already taken significant damage just simply closing into range. Then when it gets into range, the damage type (kin/therm) is one of the most overall highly resisted types ships are naturally tanked for, and it's worse when the non-blaster ship has a proper omni-tank fit, because invuln fields and EANMs are generally used, and kin/therm usually goes WAY high, or at least one of them does. The end result is, the blaster boat takes such heavy damage on approach, the deficit is insurmountable, even to it's superior DPS. That is if you don't take into account the fact that most blaster ships are easy to kite, or don't have the tracking to actually hit anything in their optimal range. Thus, even if you don't make any mistakes, and fly your ship to the limit of it's abilities, you don't stand much of a chance of anything but going down in a ball of fire in a blaster boat.

Rails are a bit more complicated. Frankly, CCP needs to revisit probing mechanics to allow for the viability of sniper BS once again. Currently, there is no way to engage a hostile fleet with long-range weaponry outside of 150km, because probing is now so near-instant, it takes longer for the BSs to align out than it does for a prober and bubbler to land on the BSs, then they're forced to engage at point-blank range with long-range guns that don't track at close-range, and you die. Changing probing mechanics so that BSs have time to bounce to sniper spots frequently without getting caught is really the only thing that will bring sniper BS back into style. From there, rails would probably only need a slight buff in DPS output and they'd be considered "useful" again.

Another interesting suggestion, if CCP wanted to leave out an actual damage buff, would be to allow hybrids some more choice in ammo and damage types. This would probably provide enough versatility that combined with a tracking buff, and maybe a minor range buff for blasters, would make hybrids competitive again.

tl;dr... blasters need to do a lot more dps, so fights can actually be won by burning into range and 0wning, or they need a significant range boost. Tracking must also be fixed, and the speed+armor tank combo should be looked at. Rails need only a tiny buff, if at all, but probing mechanics need to be changed so sniper BS can be used once again.
Herping yourDerp
Tribal Liberation Force
Minmatar Republic
#28 - 2011-10-20 19:43:48 UTC
uh
give blasters the stats of autocannons and autocannons the stats of blasters
same with rails/projectiles

the end result?

slow gallente boats basically have autocannons which are perfect for them
fast minni boats that can dictate range have blasters to tear up anyone

gallente alpha dmg will be inpressive with arties

rails...... never used them...
David Grogan
University of Caille
Gallente Federation
#29 - 2011-10-20 20:04:32 UTC
simply reduce the MASS of blaster boats only... that would help with their speed issues

Everytime you buy something that says "made in china" you are helping the rising unemployment in your own country unless you are from china, Buy locally produced goods and help create more jobs.

HakerElite
Ganja Labs
Exodus.
#30 - 2011-10-20 20:26:12 UTC
Caulk H0lster wrote:
Rails are a bit more complicated. Frankly, CCP needs to revisit probing mechanics to allow for the viability of sniper BS once again. Currently, there is no way to engage a hostile fleet with long-range weaponry outside of 150km, because probing is now so near-instant, it takes longer for the BSs to align out than it does for a prober and bubbler to land on the BSs, then they're forced to engage at point-blank range with long-range guns that don't track at close-range, and you die. Changing probing mechanics so that BSs have time to bounce to sniper spots frequently without getting caught is really the only thing that will bring sniper BS back into style. From there, rails would probably only need a slight buff in DPS output and they'd be considered "useful" again.

You can use a Dictor to set up a block bubble so they cannot warp to you. A block bubble is a bubble somewhere between you and them.
Junky Juke
Atom Heart Mothership
#31 - 2011-10-20 20:43:25 UTC
Personally, I don't think blaster boats should be faster. I think about them as a heavy armored solider equipped with a big shotgun.
Resistances and armor HP should be the real point on which to focus. Gallente hulls should be the slowest and hardest ships in EVE.

Railguns should have more range and more rate of fire as by definition:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun

In simple terms, Gallente ships must be the tanks of Eve.

Vimsy Vortis
Shoulda Checked Local
Break-A-Wish Foundation
#32 - 2011-10-20 20:57:22 UTC  |  Edited by: Vimsy Vortis
Junky Juke wrote:
Personally, I don't think blaster boats should be faster. I think about them as a heavy armored solider equipped with a big shotgun.
Resistances and armor HP should be the real point on which to focus. Gallente hulls should be the slowest and hardest ships in EVE.

Nope, the gallente racial tank style is an active armor tank, Amarr get the extremely slow buffer armor ships as their racial archetype. Fortunately for Amarr lasers have good optimal ranges so being slow dosen't cripple you completely.
Caulk H0lster
Kazakh Ministry of Wealth Redistribution
#33 - 2011-10-20 21:21:54 UTC
HakerElite wrote:
Caulk H0lster wrote:

You can use a Dictor to set up a block bubble so they cannot warp to you. A block bubble is a bubble somewhere between you and them.

True, but then your fleet is very limited, because you always have to have a dictor between you and the hostile fleet before you warp to a new snipe point. It's not practically viable, because it's easy for the hostiles to bounce. It works, but the limitations are such that it makes the actual snipe BS fleet impractical.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#34 - 2011-10-20 21:56:44 UTC
Blasters: Increase tracking significantly. If we catch it, we should be able to kill it. (tackle can already kite a blaster hull, they don't need to be able to get under its guns) Afterall it's very hard to catch things, and when we do they burn out of range or neut us, etc....

Rails: Reduce fitting requirements to match fail performance. The biggest issue with these guys is your ship caps out too quickly. Should be really easy to fit 200s on a Moa (for example), or 250s on a Ferox (for example). Kind of like how it's easy to fit 425mm autocannons on a Minmatar cruiser.
X Gallentius
Black Eagle1
#35 - 2011-10-20 22:00:52 UTC
Alara IonStorm wrote:

Don't make fast enough it to kill Vagabonds, make it so it can run down and OBLITERATE! Hurricanes, Harbinger's non speed bonused HAC's with overwhelming Blaster DPS.
Blasters also fail "because of neuted". Make a deimos as fast as you want, he'll get capped out once he gets within 12 km of a cane.
Not-Apsalar
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#36 - 2011-10-20 22:01:59 UTC
Tippia wrote:

Blasters just need to be on a different platform — something fast and agile that lets that short range come into play — and they need to have the tracking to support that short range.

Well, this is essentially a design flaw from day one. Hybrids should have been with Minmatar. They are faster and more agile than Gallente or Caldari. It would make more sense for hybrids to be Minmatar and Projectile to be Caldari/Gallente just based on the traits of the ships.
Tanya Powers
Doomheim
#37 - 2011-10-20 22:07:46 UTC
X Gallentius wrote:
The biggest issue with these guys is your ship caps out too quickly. Should be really easy to fit 200s on a Moa (for example), or 250s on a Ferox (for example). Kind of like how it's easy to fit 425mm autocannons on a Minmatar cruiser.

When BC's can't fight their higher tiers hybrid weapon system, and have hard work on fitting the lowest...

You look at the ruppy and you ask yourself who was that drunk that made Rupy fit 1600 RT and full 425mm+missiles capable?
Or the gang bang that is the hurricane able to fit full rack of 425mm + med neuts with shield fit or 425mm+missiles AND 16000RT ....with no cap issues, pg issues, speed issues, tracking issues, dmg application issues and can even fit drones just to mock you.

Lol
Khalia Nestune
Mad Stacks
#38 - 2011-10-20 22:18:31 UTC
I second this. Give blaster-optimal boats (Megathron) a 7.5% MWD speed increase per level.
Reduce CPU/powergrid of blasters and rails by 20%.

Currently rails vs projectile guns looks like:

Proj: huge alpha, slow ROF, small optimal, large falloff, no cap, ok tracking
Rails: weak alpha, medium ROF, large optimal, small falloff, cap use, **** tracking

Projectiles should continue to be as they are; alter Rails by greatly increasing the ROF (autocannon ROF) and bring tracking up to projectile levels. This will bump the DPS and use, without making them the same as projectiles. Rails become useful at up to X km and useless just beyond that, but do good DPS without worrying about falloff.

Tallianna Avenkarde wrote:
Tweak Grid on gallente boats, and give them a MWD speed boost. Make them SUPER fast in a straight line, but with the agility of a hyperspeed brick. That leaves Minmitar as fast and agile, the rally cars of eve, and gallente the top fuel dragsters...

bump up the damage of blasters to make them be the face meltingly awesome weapons they should be.. Short range, super deeps.

http://www.mylootyourtears.com

Gypsio III
Questionable Ethics.
Ministry of Inappropriate Footwork
#39 - 2011-10-20 22:31:02 UTC
I don't believe that it's possible to fix blasters without nerfs to other races and weapons.

There are two main areas. Firstly, the absurdity of giving the shortest-range weapons to a slow race, and effective ranged weapons to the fastest race. Clearly the wrong way round.

The second problem relates to the power-creep of recent years. During QR, pulse tracking got boosted. This made Pulse more effective close up - supposedly Gallente's realm. Later, projectiles got boosted. Raw damage got increased, TEs allowed for enhanced tracking and selectable damage increased applied damage. All of these made ACs better in blasters' realm.

So now how do we fix blasters? By following the power-creep model, we could increase their optimal or falloff. This continues the model of homogenising the weapons. But people understandably object to this. Now, you can increase blaster tracking and raw DPS, but the problem is that the ability of Pulse and ACs to deliver very impressive damage at blasters' optimal still remains. The problem is that Pulse and ACs are far too flexible. To really fix blasters - to give them a role that they excel in, where you can't just use another weapon system to good effect - the applied damage of AC and Pulse at close range is going to have to be significantly reduced. This means, say, reducing Pulse tracking and reverting all of the projectile changes, then giving blasters a lot more tracking and maybe a bit more DPS, or giving them more selectable damage types (still limited to kinetic/thermal mixtures though).

The only problem with this idea is that there is precisely zero chance that CCP, in its new self-flagellation mode, will dare to propose such wide-ranging nerfs, however justified they may be. So instead all we will get is some half-arsed changes that either turn blasters into an inferior knockoff of ACs or Pulse, or a superior knockoff that obsoletes one of ACs or Pulse, or just increase blasters' raw damage and tracking that, while helpful, still leaves blasters crippled by a complete lack of flexibility compared to ACs and Pulse.
tika te
Royal Amarr Institute
Amarr Empire
#40 - 2011-10-20 22:36:20 UTC
basicly the concept of as it is now hybrid weapons fits better to the minmataar hulls than to gallente ones. (high speed and agility with close range-dps).

railguns (as in theory) have a ridiculous volley-dmg but realy poor rof - due to high energy levels needed to fire which have to be charged first (so their stats should be more like like artys are atm..). so again switched stats...

gallente boats are armor tanked which slows them down when fitted with plates. often they have active armor rep bonuses: 1. u need to fit a repper 2. it needs quite a lot powergrid 3. u need cap to run it.
so from this point of view weapons that don't need cap to fire would be more suitable. (projectiles? Smile)

so either ccp breaks with the minmatar role as the race with fastest shipsand makes galente super fast or they switch the weapon concepts of hybrids and projectiles...