These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
123Next pageLast page

Dev Blog: Inventory Improvements

First post
Author
CCP Falcon
#1 - 2012-11-20 14:14:49 UTC  |  Edited by: CCP Navigator
When EVE Online: Retribution arrives, so will a whole host of inventory improvements.

Team Game Of Drones has been working flat out to make sure that these are not only awesome, but useful and efficient for both players and our server infrastructure.

CCP Arrow is here to tell you all about the upcoming changes, and how they will affect the organisation inside your internet spaceships hangar in his new Dev Blog.

CCP Falcon || EVE Universe Community Manager || @CCP_Falcon

Happy Birthday To FAWLTY7! <3

Destination SkillQueue
Doomheim
#2 - 2012-11-20 14:18:18 UTC
Thank you, thank you, thank you Smile
Mar Drakar
LDK
#3 - 2012-11-20 14:29:23 UTC
I just came....
and never left.
ChromeStriker
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#4 - 2012-11-20 14:30:03 UTC  |  Edited by: ChromeStriker
... nice things O_O

No Worries

CCP FoxFour
C C P
C C P Alliance
#5 - 2012-11-20 14:34:35 UTC
So very nice! Well done team Game of Drones!

@CCP_FoxFour // Technical Designer // Team Tech Co

Third-party developer? Check out the official developers site for dev blogs, resources, and more.

Jack Paladin
State War Academy
Caldari State
#6 - 2012-11-20 14:35:52 UTC
Nice :)
Aethlyn
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#7 - 2012-11-20 14:38:14 UTC
Random question jumping to my mind (unless already in): Corp Hangars show whether you're able to view or take - nice - but do they show passworded status? Like a small lock icon behind?

Looking for more thoughts? Follow me on Twitter.

Steve Ronuken
Fuzzwork Enterprises
Vote Steve Ronuken for CSM
#8 - 2012-11-20 14:43:47 UTC
But I want ctrl+c!

Woo! CSM XI!

Fuzzwork Enterprises

Twitter: @fuzzysteve on Twitter

Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#9 - 2012-11-20 14:46:26 UTC  |  Edited by: Salpun
Nice work:

Fleet hangers. Where is the update on fleet hangersBig smile

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Chribba
Otherworld Enterprises
Otherworld Empire
#10 - 2012-11-20 14:49:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Chribba
Mmm updates to that window is always good...

And reading about the amazing client performance you get in Retribution, any chance at all that you could apply that change to the mail client as well - so that one actually can read (and find) mails older than a month?

Keep up the good work!

/c

★★★ Secure 3rd party service ★★★

Visit my in-game channel 'Holy Veldspar'

Twitter @ChribbaVeldspar

CCP Arrow
C C P
C C P Alliance
#11 - 2012-11-20 14:50:45 UTC
Salpun wrote:
Fleet hangers where is the update on fleet hangersBig smile

That feature will get it's very own blog Smile

CCP Arrow   |   Director of User Experience   |   EVE Online   |   @CCP_Arrow

Gilbaron
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#12 - 2012-11-20 14:53:04 UTC
lots of stuff that actually makes sense. awesome !
nikon56
UnSkilleD Inc.
#13 - 2012-11-20 14:59:37 UTC  |  Edited by: nikon56
all those tings are nice improvments, and i look forward to test em, i really think they will improve user experience.

but i've not seen anything reagrding the actuall issue in containers behaviour.

actually, if i log out / login, the containers will loose their configuration (regarding the added item status), the behaviour will be resetted to default when the config panel shows the correct saved setting

it's painfull as it is actually cause after each login, moving an item in a container result in said item beaing locked (while in previous session, it was set to unlock new items added), regardess of the configuration reported of the container.

to restore the normal behaviour of the container, i need to open config, set it to "locked", close it, open it again, set it to "unlocked" and then, the item i'll add will not be locked.

next login, i'm good to do it again.

happen on all char / all containers / all stations, even after a clear cache and a reinstall of eve (whole comp in fact, hdd died in terrible fire, but that's another story).

hope this will be fixed, has been reported many time but i still haven't read anything about this issue, wich is really painfull to me (and many other with no doubt)
Magic Crisp
Amarrian Micro Devices
#14 - 2012-11-20 15:01:49 UTC  |  Edited by: Magic Crisp
Quote:
Shortcuts can also be a good way to open and close inventories. Alt-C will open the main Inventory window. Alt-N is for Ship hangar and alt-G is for Item hangar.

Alt-C was used to do open ship's cargo. is it actually a good idea to shuffle this short cut around? I'd opt to just leave this at its function, and have some other keys open the inventory window. Just my tuppence.

Quote:
In order to cater to these two ways of interacting with wrecks we created a mechanic that checks if the player has the index tree expanded or not. If it is expanded, we add the wreck to the index tree and do not open up a separate wreck cargo window. If the index tree is collapsed, however, we open it in a new window.

Very smart, that's a nice and automated way to handle this mess. kudos! :)

The only better thing here would be to simply have a "loot this!" button in the "selected item" window. So there'd be no need for opening it AND clicking loot, it'd be done with a single click. I'd highly prefer this to be honest.

Quote:
We have updated how wrecks are displayed in the Index Tree. They now show the wreck bracket with all its useful information and the ship name and the distance. If a wreck moves out of range, it greys out but stays visible so that you can use the Index Tree to approach it.

Issue here. Right now when a can is opened, and AFTER that it gets renamed, it still displays the old name in the tree. Please update the tree when a jetcan gets renamed.

Quote:
No access means you can’t view it’s content nor move anything from it

Please be aware that corp members still have to be able to _put_ items into divisions that they don't have access to. This is important, because sometime this is the actual usecase. Also for POSs.

Quote:
We believe these User Testing sessions are the way to go with future development work

Ok, how can I participate? Something that I see the point in, hope it'd make eve better :)

And one final thingie:
Will I now be able to define the default inventory listing mode and sorting column? Since I'm playing the game (2004-12-31), the first thing I do when I open an inventory, is switch it to list mode, without icons. That's the only mode which has the most information, and also, the sufficient amount of information, that I can do my tasks with. So, enforcing some unusable mode is very irritating, and would be time to set it. Also, since unified inventry, it more often tends to switch back to the icon-mode, which means more pain.

The same goes for the sorting column. "name" is barely an option for the usualy workflow for me, "group" sorting is the most useful. I'm usually interested in item groups (like looking for, let's say, available ACs in the corphangar), and selecting whichever i might need at that moment, not really interested in 200mm plates when i want to fit a small AC. so on...

So can we set the default inventory listing mode and sorting column now?
nikon56
UnSkilleD Inc.
#15 - 2012-11-20 15:05:05 UTC
Magic Crisp wrote:

Quote:
We believe these User Testing sessions are the way to go with future development work

Ok, how can I participate? Something that I see the point in, hope it'd make eve better :)

i think that participating is just login in Buck and reporting bugs / posting in forums
Salpun
Global Telstar Federation Offices
Masters of Flying Objects
#16 - 2012-11-20 15:07:24 UTC
nikon56 wrote:
Magic Crisp wrote:

Quote:

i think that participating is just login in Buck and reporting bugs / posting in forums

Does your problem above still exist on Bucky?

If i dont know something about EVE. I check https://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/ISK_The_Guide

See you around the universe.

Grideris
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#17 - 2012-11-20 15:11:04 UTC
Hopefully for CCP Arrow's sake, these changes will make us happy enough that the CSM will sign off on him receiving the vodka skull.

http://www.dust514.org - the unofficial forum for everything DUST 514 http://www.dust514base.com -** the** blog site with everything else DUST 514 you need

JohnathanGalt
Northern Sky Industries
#18 - 2012-11-20 15:12:12 UTC
Excellent. Good to see this getting worked on and the changes should make working with the system much easier. Particularly like the ability to scroll with the mouse wheel and the state remembering. Great work!
Louis deGuerre
The Dark Tribe
#19 - 2012-11-20 15:13:46 UTC
I especially like the bookmark fixes.

Any chance we will get the ability to use merged bookmarks for a main and his alts ? That would be insanely useful for me and get rid of shipping bookmarks containers all over the place.
Sentamon
Imperial Academy
Amarr Empire
#20 - 2012-11-20 15:15:13 UTC
awwww .... no CTRL-C Sad.

Really nice changes. Smile

~ Professional Forum Alt  ~

123Next pageLast page