These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Information Portal

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

New dev blog: Upcoming Tutorial Revisions

First post First post First post
Author
Nico elScorpio
Care Bear Hi Sec Industries
#201 - 2012-08-29 19:44:17 UTC  |  Edited by: Nico elScorpio
Nico elScorpio
Care Bear Hi Sec Industries
#202 - 2012-08-29 19:51:16 UTC  |  Edited by: Nico elScorpio
c wana
Gateless Gate Research Institute
#203 - 2012-09-02 18:15:38 UTC
I've just run through the new player tutorials and 4 of the 5 career tutorials. Generally the new introductory tutorial seems like an improvement. I noticed a couple of things on the career tutorials though. First, for the Gallente advanced combat tutorial, I was using the frigate given to me at the end of the basic combat tutorial: an Atron. Unfortunately, this becomes a problem when you get to the drone section of the advanced tutorial, since the Atron no longer has a drone bay. Perhaps it would make more sense to give out an incursus or a tristan at the end of the basic combat tutorial? At the very least, you should include some explanation as to what to do if your ship doesn't have a drone bay when you get to that mission. (Or just hand the player another Velator, which would also work just fine.)

Also, I seem to recall that the career tutorials used to point you at the Sisters of Eve Epic Arc missions, but now it seems they don't, or if they do I missed it. Is this by design? If so, you should probably remove the comment about examining the offer by Sister Alitura in the tutorial triggered at the end of the industrial career arc.
Hakaru Ishiwara
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#204 - 2012-09-17 14:32:06 UTC  |  Edited by: Hakaru Ishiwara
Just rolled a new character on an existing account. Observations so far:

1) I do not have access to the Rookie Help channel where I might presumably get and give help related to this tutorial. Yeah, the account is bitter-vet-old, but stil... I rolled a new toon and was looking to experience the new character stuff.

2) I really miss the Aura voice-overs. IMHO, it is a poor and thin excuse to remove the voice aspect of the tutorials because the content might change. Put some effort into the tutorials in order to give them longevity and thus get more value out of the voice actors' work. Not having the voice content is a seriously big void in this project.

Was your project budget that small that you couldn't hire the voice talent and keep them on-contract for future iterations?

More later.

More... Got through the first part of the NPE tutorial... very easy, but a ton of reading for the new player. This will definitely weed out the weak from the strong when it comes to those fit to play EVE. Not sure if that's a good thing for CCP's bottom line though.

Encountered defect #144471, as well.

I also agree that the 'this will take 90 minutes' warning should be removed. Let players immerse themselves in the tutorial and fall in love with looking at stations, ships and the space-based graphical backdrops. If players are efficient and can run though the tutorial in 60 minutes, then let them. If they take 3 hours because they got sidetracked looking at graphical bling, then so much the better.

+++++++ I have never shed a tear for a fellow EVE player until now. Mark “Seleene” Heard's Blog Honoring Sean "Vile Rat" Smith.

Daedra Blue
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#205 - 2012-09-18 08:27:21 UTC  |  Edited by: Daedra Blue
Hakaru Ishiwara wrote:

2) I really miss the Aura voice-overs. IMHO, it is a poor and thin excuse to remove the voice aspect of the tutorials because the content might change. Put some effort into the tutorials in order to give them longevity and thus get more value out of the voice actors' work. Not having the voice content is a seriously big void in this project.

Was your project budget that small that you couldn't hire the voice talent and keep them on-contract for future iterations?

More later.

I really wonder how hard it would be with all these quite mature text readers to create an inhouse text reader engine that resembles aura. I'm pretty sure you would be better off not having to store hours of sound and rerecord on every change and you could be using it on all kinds of history and text and holoreels and stuff allover the place.
Flamespar
WarRavens
#206 - 2012-09-18 12:18:10 UTC
I recently took some friends through the current tutorial. Both of them closed the tutorial after reading that it takes 90 minutes to complete.

I then spent 2 hours listening to them complain about how hard EVE is and how they don't know what to do.

I recommend removing the notification that the tutorial takes 90 mins
Hakaru Ishiwara
Republic Military School
Minmatar Republic
#207 - 2012-09-18 20:00:42 UTC  |  Edited by: Hakaru Ishiwara
Daedra Blue wrote:
Hakaru Ishiwara wrote:

2) I really miss the Aura voice-overs. *snip*

I really wonder how hard it would be with all these quite mature text readers to create an inhouse text reader engine that resembles aura. I'm pretty sure you would be better off not having to store hours of sound and rerecord on every change and you could be using it on all kinds of history and text and holoreels and stuff allover the place.
That's a great idea.

+++++++ I have never shed a tear for a fellow EVE player until now. Mark “Seleene” Heard's Blog Honoring Sean "Vile Rat" Smith.

DoMe Now
Brutor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#208 - 2012-09-18 21:19:34 UTC
Can you add a skip all button for all of us alt makers ?
Roll Sizzle Beef
Space Mutiny
#209 - 2012-10-16 18:05:01 UTC  |  Edited by: Roll Sizzle Beef
Created a alt and was running though the Industry tutorial and I noticed something.
As if the BPC system wasn't annoying enough to grasp. All the tutorial bpc creation missions, the afterburner, cap boosters, the miner frig. They all have very short and quick run times right? Keep the flow of the learning going. However people live in these rookie systems, I notice all the manufacturing slots filled up for days. I can easily jump one or two jumps away for a vacant slots, yet the NPE does not explain how to use the sub menus for location and range etc. And when you have to create the miner frig in another station, it offers no solution to getting the manufactured goods back to the rookie system.

The current set up for industry tutorial forces rookies outside of the womb build a desk and drag it back inside. A bit daunting for a few hour old player.
Though I don't think much can be done about it tell they actually work on manufacturing again. Like a system that has single personal slot reserved specifically for under 30 day old players
Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#210 - 2012-10-16 19:10:21 UTC
I recommend adding contracts to the business line, and replacing the 5th mission since you get the contracting skill book at the previous step. Not everyone knows how contracts work (creating one, or accepting one), nor what to watch out for.

Possibility 1: Instead of delivering the datachip, contract it to the agent. This will need some way to replace the chip when folks mess it up.

Possibility 2: The agent issues the player a courier contract. This will teach how to accept and complete contracts.
Byrrssa Crendraven
Anti - Social
#211 - 2012-11-16 05:29:03 UTC
Was running through the tutorial and it was talking about skills. In the picture it shows you can right click a skill and it will say train now to level ?. But, it don't. All you get is Add at the bottom.
TheSmokingHertog
Julia's Interstellar Trade Emperium
#212 - 2012-11-20 07:39:57 UTC
Byrrssa Crendraven wrote:
Was running through the tutorial and it was talking about skills. In the picture it shows you can right click a skill and it will say train now to level ?. But, it don't. All you get is Add at the bottom.

Do you have all prerequirements fully trained?

"Dogma is kind of like quantum physics, observing the dogma state will change it." ~ CCP Prism X

"Schrödinger's Missile. I dig it." ~ Makari Aeron

-= "Brain in a Box on Singularity" - April 2015 =-