These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE Fiction

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

A quick question on the books.

Author
Kahleel Hassan
Gaussian Distributions and Eliminations
#1 - 2012-11-06 00:15:04 UTC
Are the 3 books considered to be canon?
Or are they just stories which are set in the Eve universe?

Thanks in advance Big smile
Esna Pitoojee
Societas Imperialis Sceptri Coronaeque
Khimi Harar
#2 - 2012-11-06 02:39:12 UTC
They are nominally canon, yes.

At times, however, they contain - particularly in The Empyrean Age, and to a lesser degree Templar One - elements which seriously conflict with the continuity and knowledge of the rest of the fiction, or are simply difficult to believe in the face of logic or 'common sense'.

In these cases, you will often see people consider the other fiction canon where there is a conflict with the books, or distancing themselves from the books' version of things altogether.
Tavin Aikisen
Phoenix Naval Operations
Phoenix Naval Systems
#3 - 2012-11-06 03:21:22 UTC
Also keep in mind, for immersion and role-playing, a lot of what takes place in those books is unknown to players/capsuleers.

"Remember this. Trust your eyes, you will kill each other. Trust your veins, you can all go home."

-Cold Wind

Ryakel
Deep Core Mining Inc.
Caldari State
#4 - 2012-11-06 16:28:13 UTC
To be certain, the tales told within these tomes can be considered true from their own perspective. Surely a civilian would have no means to comprehend the concerns of a capsuleer. In that regard, they do a good job of making the distinction that the concerns and affairs of capsuleers are in comprehensible. I suppose the inverse also applies when it comes to identifying with the perspective of humanity's ins and outs.
Sohl Ni-Zha
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#5 - 2012-11-19 19:04:40 UTC  |  Edited by: Sohl Ni-Zha
I wonder why there are no PF books as in-game items? Beside Skill Books and the A'J related projects, there are no books in this game (even Pax is only a description).

Skyrim has its books and many other less ambitous games do, tho in EVE one cannot simply make his library or open a bookstore. Not to speak about thing like writing, publishing and distributing an in-game newspaper on your own.

delivering. drugs.  IG channel: Narcotics

Tiberious Thessalonia
True Slave Foundations
#6 - 2012-11-19 19:15:29 UTC
Sohl Ni-Zha wrote:
I wonder why there are no PF books as in-game items? Beside Skill Books and the A'J related projects, there are no books in this game (even Pax is only a description).

Skyrim has its books and many other less ambitous games do, tho in EVE one cannot simply make his library or open a bookstore. Not to speak about thing like writing, publishing and distributing an in-game newspaper on your own.

I don't think that Skyrim counts as a less ambitious game than EVE. ;)

Regardless, I somewhat see your point, and as an RPer I would love to get my hands on more fluff materials like that, but I can understand that CCP has other priorities than seeding space with a bunch of 8 page books.
Sohl Ni-Zha
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-11-19 19:49:13 UTC
No, I meant beside Skyrim -- less ambitious games, Skyrim is definately a serious piece.

Well, yes, I am only affraid that too much understanding may lead to resentment. Also, it is not like they have some heavy coding for books to exists, not a programmer myself but it really looks like an advanced copy-pasting.

And with the added possibility to make our own and trade them, quality-of-life of RP (and not only) community could really rise.

delivering. drugs.  IG channel: Narcotics

Qvar Dar'Zanar
Ministry of War
Amarr Empire
#8 - 2012-11-19 21:01:37 UTC
Esna Pitoojee wrote:
They are nominally canon, yes.

At times, however, they contain - particularly in The Empyrean Age, and to a lesser degree Templar One - elements which seriously conflict with the continuity and knowledge of the rest of the fiction, or are simply difficult to believe in the face of logic or 'common sense'.

In these cases, you will often see people consider the other fiction canon where there is a conflict with the books, or distancing themselves from the books' version of things altogether.

Why is everybody in this forum always unable to explicitly point out one of those cases? It has been several months, and all I get to hear is some hand waving and blabling about how they 'collide'.

At best, we get half-cooked questions of the kind you tipically get on angry film reviews because the critic wasn't able to stop for 10 seconds and think about things that migth explain the alledged plot hole, such as 'Why didn't the Broker heal himself when the cure was released? Plot hole!'