These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

EVE New Citizens Q&A

• Topic is locked indefinitely.

Is EVE a journey worth starting?

Author
Merouk Baas
#21 - 2012-11-19 04:27:59 UTC  |  Edited by: Merouk Baas
First, high-sec empire space promotes solo play (because you lose profits if you share your time with anyone else), but EVE's strong point isn't PVE. EVE PVE kinda sucks, compared to voice-acted story arcs, or compared to a progression of mildly funny quests followed by raids with various fight mechanics. So, you can solo PVE if that's your deal but you'll probably get bored.

Second, only bad corps will make you feel like a slave. Most PVP corps I've seen are tightly-knit, and full of helpful people, and they provide their own fun (and lots of it) by organizing events, replacing ships, giving advice and free skills/ships, etc. You seem to have a phobia of interacting socially, when in fact it's THE way to play the game. EVE is a sandbox and it really lacks features that provide direction to players; we have to invent our own games to play with the ships we're provided.

Third, it's a PVP game. The point is to BE cannon fodder; you get an adrenaline rush (shaking hands, believe me), and you only sudden death omg!!! a 200k frigate. Big whop! Do it again, over and over. The point is to throw away the little ships you can afford to lose in order to create fun for yourself. It's a combat game, if you don't fight you're missing the point of the game.

This game is a lot like a paintball club. You can buy a fancy gun solo, you can craft your own fancy ammunition, but if you don't go to matches and don't interact with the other club members, what's the point of the membership fee? Or the gun and the ammo?

Trick is to find the right people to get together with. Forget solo.
Mirima Thurander
#22 - 2012-11-19 06:37:41 UTC
THX-1138 4EB wrote:
I'm new to the game but I'm an experienced gamer. In fact, I'm one of the originals going back to Pong so I've seen and done a lot of gaming... I checked out EVE for a long time before deciding to commit and play. And so far, I'm having a great time - as crazy as it sounds I've had dreams of exploring the cosmos since I was a child so the game is about as close as I will ever get.

I have not joined a corp - that's just my personality. I might one day but for now, I enjoy exploring and yes, learning things the hard way. Set backs and losing a fight from time to time make it that much more interesting to me... I don't mind getting killed or showing up with a knife to a gunfight once in a while - but I'm learning and I am getting better and crafty quickly.

That said, the more I read on this forum, the more I think that my goals might not be attainable. I won't share them here but I read about how the corporations and alliances pretty much own the game. I read posts about how it's virtually impossible to survive in 0.0 (or beyond) as a single player. It also sounds like the notion of doing anything substantial in the game is virtually impossible unless you join a corp and do their bidding. You're either a small time miner or you're canon fodder for the corp ships. I have no interest in spending all of my time mining veld in hi-sec for the rest of my life. I'm beginning to question if I should even invest the time. It seems that my future in the game is nothing more than an endless cycle of building ships and skills only to be met with sudden death the moment I move beyond Empire space! Sheesh. Is that as good as it gets for a solo player?

I'm not looking for validation on my goals - I know what I want to get out of the game (for now) but I don't want to bang my head against a wall for a year trying to do the impossible either - I'm just looking for a little objective wisdom from someone who has been in the game for a while.

Respectfully,
THX -1138 4EB

EvE is just better if u have people to play it with, be that mining PvP or just flying around doing exploration.

But I think your best bet might be to try out WH life, the nomadic type not the this is my hole type.

All automated intel should be removed from the game including Instant local/jumps/kills/cynos for all systems/regions.Eve should report nothing like this to the client/3rd party software.Intel should not be force fed to players. Player skill and iniative should be the sources of intel.

Tao Dolcino
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#23 - 2012-11-19 06:38:05 UTC
Merouk Baas wrote:
it's THE way to play the game

Mara Rinn
Cosmic Goo Convertor
#24 - 2012-11-19 07:33:51 UTC
Tao Dolcino wrote:
Merouk Baas wrote:
it's THE way to play the game

Most people will find cooperative play far more rewarding than solo play. So while Merouk has committed a teensy crime of hyperbole, he's got the right idea.

As for TXH1138, there is a limit to what kinds of advice people can give you if you do not make your goals known. You will not be able to rule nullsec without followers and an alliance with which to claim that sovereignty, which means joining or forming a corporation.

Being part of a corporation doesn't mean you have to follow someone else's orders. The classic case here is the typical hisec research POS corporation: they will typically be one or two people who manage the day to day operations of the POS, then a bunch of folks who contribute fuel and charters to keep the POS running, with everyone piling on to the POS to get their research done. Another generic corp model is the mission-running corp, which will typically set up a corp in order to share access to attractive agents. Then there is the generic PvP corp which only uses the corporation structure as a way of allowing the gang members to shoot each other (or web each other) without CONCORD interference.

Running on the assumption that joining a corp is equivalent to indentured servitude is going to severely hamper your ability to achieve anything of significance in the game outside the world of solo play (such as solo circumnavigation of the universe, or grinding +10 standings with every NOC corp).
DeBingJos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#25 - 2012-11-19 08:13:55 UTC  |  Edited by: DeBingJos
Mara Rinn wrote:

Running on the assumption that joining a corp is equivalent to indentured servitude is going to severely hamper your ability to achieve anything of significance in the game outside the world of solo play (such as solo circumnavigation of the universe, or grinding +10 standings with every NOC corp).

This.

A lot of new players think joining a corp will hurt their ability to do what they want. In reallity joining a corp expands your options. You can still do all the stuff you did before, but also a lot of extra stuff.

Some of the most obvious examples:

• PVP is easier in a corp. Solo pvp is very hard.
  • You can use existing infrastructure (Pos, freighter service, etc...) For example: Lots of new people want to manufacture stuff or mine. You can do that solo, but if you join a corp you will have orca support, a pos to get your blueprints researched, some good advice, ...
  • If you are short on isk you can probably loan some from the corp. (Only if you are a nice guy and can be trusted.)
  • Corp operations: You can solo all you want, but sometimes its fun to join a corp operation, pvp, mining, exploration, you name it. At least you now have the option to do so. If you are solo you don't have that option.

Yes there are bad corp, but nobody is forcing you to stay in them. If they are bad, just leave and look for another corp. Make sure to ask lots of questions during your interview. If they do not ask for an API key, something is probably wrong and you should be on your guard.

If you need more info or if you are interested in joining us, contact me ingame or join our public channel avp recruit.

Regards,

DeBingJos

Ungi maðurinn þekkir reglurnar, en gamli maðurinn þekkir undantekningarnar. The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.

Hazen Koraka
HK Enterprises
#26 - 2012-11-19 13:22:34 UTC
DeBingJos wrote:
[quote=Mara Rinn]

snip.

Yes there are bad corp, but nobody is forcing you to stay in them. If they are bad, just leave and look for another corp. Make sure to ask lots of questions during your interview. If they do not ask for an API key, something is probably wrong and you should be on your guard.

snip

Regards,

DeBingJos

Why should asking for an API key be a requirement of a good corp? Surely just talking to the prospective joiner of a corp is enough. To me asking for an API key is like saying you don't trust the newcomer (I guess the addage does hold - don't ever fully trust anyone in EVE!).

I don't believe asking for an API key is necessary, and Skillpoint minimums also unnecessary. The only issue is retention of new people, not what their current status is.

Noone wants someone to join a corp for 1 or 2 days then leave, that's just silly.

Exploration is Random. Random is Random... or is it?! http://docs.python.org/2/library/random.html

DeBingJos
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#27 - 2012-11-19 13:25:49 UTC  |  Edited by: DeBingJos
Hazen Koraka wrote:
DeBingJos wrote:
[quote=Mara Rinn]

snip.

snip

Regards,

DeBingJos

Why should asking for an API key be a requirement of a good corp? Surely just talking to the prospective joiner of a corp is enough. To me asking for an API key is like saying you don't trust the newcomer (I guess the addage does hold - don't ever fully trust anyone in EVE!).

I don't believe asking for an API key is necessary, and Skillpoint minimums also unnecessary. The only issue is retention of new people, not what their current status is.

Noone wants someone to join a corp for 1 or 2 days then leave, that's just silly.

Well if they ask for an API key, you know that they have at least some minimal background check in place. After all you don't want to join a corp that does not care about security. Your own assets are also in danger here. Its a good thing if they check your API. It does not stop all corp killers/thieves but it takes care of the most obvious ones.

Ungi maðurinn þekkir reglurnar, en gamli maðurinn þekkir undantekningarnar. The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.

Tech3ZH
Doomheim
#28 - 2012-11-19 19:28:12 UTC
Yes, OP, it is well worth it. Welcome.
Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#29 - 2012-11-19 19:44:57 UTC
Hazen Koraka wrote:

To me asking for an API key is like saying you don't trust the newcomer (I guess the addage does hold - don't ever fully trust anyone in EVE!).

I don't bother with APIs and just tell the newcommers flat out I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and they should be prepared to hang out for a very long time before officially joining anything. I recruit with a "don't call me - I'll call you" policy and could care less about "spies". If I'm doing my job right getting spies and trigger happy idiots in the mix is impossible.

I also will never give out an API or anything else that gives someone personal info about anything I'm doing. I tell people honestly if they give me a reason to screw them I will...hard. I've found it's an easy way to filter out all the asshats with some crappy corp looking for numbers rather than talent. My killboard stats and reputation carry me, if that isn't enough then I'm the last person you'd want anyway.
Vilnius Zar
SDC Multi Ten
#30 - 2012-11-19 19:47:46 UTC  |  Edited by: Vilnius Zar
Minmatar Citizen160812 wrote:
My killboard stats and reputation carry me, if that isn't enough then I'm the last person you'd want anyway.

Minmatar Citizen160812

Trolololo
J'Poll
School of Applied Knowledge
Caldari State
#31 - 2012-11-19 19:57:21 UTC
Hazen Koraka wrote:

To me asking for an API key is like saying you don't trust the newcomer (I guess the addage does hold - don't ever fully trust anyone in EVE!).

I don't bother with APIs and just tell the newcommers flat out I don't trust them as far as I can throw them and they should be prepared to hang out for a very long time before officially joining anything. I recruit with a "don't call me - I'll call you" policy and could care less about "spies". If I'm doing my job right getting spies and trigger happy idiots in the mix is impossible.

I also will never give out an API or anything else that gives someone personal info about anything I'm doing. I tell people honestly if they give me a reason to screw them I will...hard. I've found it's an easy way to filter out all the asshats with some crappy corp looking for numbers rather than talent. My killboard stats and reputation carry me, if that isn't enough then I'm the last person you'd want anyway.

No offense but, neither your new or old (Homo Jesus) name is known on EVE-kill. So what killboard stats and reputation are you leaning on.

Personal channel: Crazy Dutch Guy

Help channel: Help chat - Reloaded

Public roams channels: RvB Ganked / Redemption Road / Spectre Fleet / Bombers bar / The Content Club

Fractal Muse
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#32 - 2012-11-19 20:11:44 UTC
OP, I don't know if you are still checking this thread or not but in case you are:

Don't get discouraged by what people post on the forums.

Forum posters in all games tend to be a vocal minority. In EVE you -can- do anything you want. You can accomplish an awful lot solo if you wish (up to, and including, 'owning' space - you could take a wormhole system for yourself and keep others out if you are dedicated enough to do so alone) but, of course, you'll accomplish more with other people.

A new player who starts fresh today can become the most powerful player in EVE online tomorrow. People will claim that new players can't do a lot and should do stuff like mine or level 1 missions and not go do whatever it is they want to do. I disagree.

When I started playing EVE I went to 0.0 on my 10th day of playing (after doing the tutorials). I haven't looked back.

You do -not- have to be in a corp to go to 0.0. You do -not- have to have 10 million skill points or 5 million skill points or even 1 million skill points. People who say so are, really, suggesting that you play it 'safe.' But, there is nothing that will stop you from going out there. You might even survive. Or not. Chances are more likely on the not side but you won't know until you try.

I know some people who started mining day one and three years later are -still- mining because that's what they enjoy.

Basically, my advice is this: Follow your heart. Whatever goal you have in mind work towards it. EVE will, for the most part, allow for it to happen. As you learn the game mechanics and the structure of the game you will see what can be done and what cannot. For example, it is impossible to 'own' a high sec system. But, even within those limitations, you can sometimes find ways and means.

Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#33 - 2012-11-19 20:19:00 UTC
Hazen Koraka wrote:
DeBingJos wrote:
[quote=Mara Rinn]

snip.

snip

Regards,

DeBingJos

Exactly. They won't trust you, and neither should they. An API key is like a background check to get a job in a trusted position in real life. Even a lowly corp member with no roles can cause a lot of damage, and if they don't care enough to check you, then that's a bad sign because it means that you'll be trusting your ships and wealth to people who also haven't been checked.

In short: their checking you is your assurance that you can trust them.

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#34 - 2012-11-20 12:21:28 UTC  |  Edited by: Speedkermit Damo
I started out solo. Not by design, but because I was invited to join a corp by a friend as soon as I started playing EVE. After a week or two in this corp, everyone else stopped logging in.

So I spent a month by myself in a dead corp. It was horrible. As a new player I was discovering lots of content. Deadspace sites and complexes, Incursions. All cool stuff which is not possible to do by yourself, especially if you are a new player.

So I packed up and joined a large Null-sec corp, and haven't looked back.

I can understand wanting to play solo for various roleplay reasons. But believe me, it gets very boring and very lonely very very quickly.

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Speedkermit Damo
Republic University
Minmatar Republic
#35 - 2012-11-20 12:23:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Speedkermit Damo
Double-post deleted

Protect me from knowing what I don't need to know. Protect me from even knowing that there are things to know that I don't know. Protect me from knowing that I decided not to know about the things that I decided not to know about. Amen.

Doddy
Excidium.
#36 - 2012-11-20 12:25:41 UTC
You can move to npc controlled 0.0 and do pretty much anything you like solo. Having multiple accounts will definately help though as the main problem with doing things solo is not knowing whats happening in the next system. Being able to scout yourself is very handy.
TheBlueMonkey
Center for Advanced Studies
Gallente Federation
#37 - 2012-11-20 12:44:19 UTC
There are quite a few solo players who do rather well. Chribba is the most known by far but there are others, especially when it comes to the market PvPers.

The thing with eve though is that it's more fun with a group of peoples but each to their own.

That said, it's basically the same as "should I have children", experiences may vary :)
Minmatar Citizen160812
The LGBT Last Supper
#38 - 2012-11-20 14:40:30 UTC
J'Poll wrote:
Hazen Koraka wrote:

No offense but, neither your new or old (Homo Jesus) name is known on EVE-kill. So what killboard stats and reputation are you leaning on.

Not this guy hehe....not like I'd give ya any proof but if my reputation here is any good to not lie my main dude carries a 5 or 6 to 1 kill/death ratio, has a mid spot in the top 10k on battleclinic and climbing, and is well known by most people who matter in the neighborhood I reside in.

The next time someone asks ya for an API or teamspeak security check just tell them "No, I reserve the right to bone you over a barrel left, right and center if your group is a collection of shitbirds, is run by a half-wit, has FCs who act like children, etc...thanks for your time". That's MY API check and weeds out the people I wouldn't want to hang with anyway.

I very rarely use standings for the same reason. I may like certain members of different groups but not others. Because a blue mark is on their picture I'm supposed to leave them alone when they are doing dumb stuff that affects me? spooking targets away? am I supposed to bow to the mumalard FC they have and join the fleet to help them get F1 blob kills? Nah, they get a warning because they are a friend of a friend then they're getting shot. You'd be very surprised with a small tight group of friends how well it works.

(I hope that comes off with some kind of humility but if not who cares, this is zombie alt Twisted)
BlackCobalt
#39 - 2012-11-20 19:33:05 UTC
I like being a solo player but its a grind. To really get anywhere you need more the one account even joining a corp doesn't offer much.
Christy D Floyd
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#40 - 2012-11-20 19:55:31 UTC
Nope you should quit now while your still ahead. Oh can I have your stuff?

Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons.