These forums have been archived and are now read-only.

The new forums are live and can be found at https://forums.eveonline.com/

Skill Discussions

• Topic is locked indefinitely.
12Next page

Upcoming battlecruiser change

Author
Deatalious Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#1 - 2012-11-07 11:47:10 UTC  |  Edited by: Deatalious Maricadie
So I've been planning to train the battlecruiser skill to 5 for awhile now and have started today. Earlier today a friend pointed me in the direction of the dev blog talking about splitting the battlecruiser skill. If this skill finishes training from 4 to 5 before the change is in place, will I still have it at 5 after the change? I've been told that the policy is "if you could fly it before, you can fly it now." However, I had intended to train the skill to maximize the effect of the bonuses for the battlecruiser skill on the ships I like to fly such as the Cyclone and Hurricane. Because these ships do not require the battlecruiser skill to be at 5, will my level 5 skill be turned into a racial variant at a lower level or will I just get all racial variants at 5 and maintain my max bonus for the skill (such as 5% bonus to damage and rate of fire of medium projectile turrets per battlecruiser level on the cane)? Also, is there time to get both the battlecruiser and destroyer skills to 5 before the change? It would take me about one month from now to do so.

I ask after not being able to find a definite answer anywhere else. Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction.
Arrius Praetor
Anarchist Dawn
U N K N O W N
#2 - 2012-11-07 13:35:04 UTC
As far as I am aware, however I could be wrong

Providing you have all the other pre-reqs for flying each race's battlecruisers, aswell as Battlecruisers skill at level 5, you should end up with 4 level 5 skills from it.

Thats how its been explained to me in the past anyway.

hope this helps.
RavenPaine
RaVeN Alliance
#3 - 2012-11-07 14:37:52 UTC
Train BC to V asap. It is a great skill and most of your targets already have it.

When the patch comes, if you don't have it, you will be forced to train it to V for each race separately to get the same affect/benefit.

Also: Imo it is way more useful than Destroyer V. Train BC V first.
Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#4 - 2012-11-07 18:20:35 UTC
Yes, if you finish BC 5 BEFORE the change then you will get the minmatar racial bc skill at 5, if you do not finish training the skill to 5 then you will get the minmatar battlecruiser skill at 4.

You will not be given the other new skills, amarr battlecruiser, caldari battlecruiser or gallente battlecruiser, if you can not currently fly any of those ships.

To get all the racial battlecruiser skills at 5 given to you, you will have to have amarr cruiser 3, caldari cruiser 3 and gallente cruiser 3 skills trained in addition to your current minmatar skills as well as the battlecruiser skill at 5.

CCP Fozzie has said outright that this change is not scheduled to take place on Dec. 4.

.....of course that's not to say they won't spring this change on us on Dec. 5 Twisted

GreenSeed
#5 - 2012-11-07 19:51:37 UTC
the total SP/ training time will remain roughly the same... no idea why people freak out so much about training to V asap. only go for bc V if you can already fly all 4 bcs (with fittings included) if you cant, then dont bother, training your specialized bc after patch will take less time. and if you can fly all bcs now, you most likely had bc to V years ago...

idk about you, but i have 0 skills in missiles, hybrids and lazors.

i think its a zero sum game and people are going to get pissed after patch day, with noone else to blame but themselves.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#6 - 2012-11-07 20:35:30 UTC
As far as I can tell, if you have Racial Cruiser 3, you will get the Racial Battlecruiser Skill Points = Battlecruiser Skill Points.

A few links to CCP posts can be found here:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2148183#post2148183
Deatalious Maricadie
The Scope
Gallente Federation
#7 - 2012-11-08 02:38:38 UTC
Thanks for the replies, everyone!
I have all the racial cruisers at atleast 4 as well as the frigate skills so it looks like I should get BC 5 with this new info.

Thanks for the help!
Idicious Lightbane
Garoun Investment Bank
Gallente Federation
#8 - 2012-11-08 14:54:20 UTC  |  Edited by: Idicious Lightbane
GreenSeed wrote:
the total SP/ training time will remain roughly the same... no idea why people freak out so much about training to V asap. only go for bc V if you can already fly all 4 bcs (with fittings included) if you cant, then dont bother, training your specialized bc after patch will take less time. and if you can fly all bcs now, you most likely had bc to V years ago...

i think its a zero sum game and people are going to get pissed after patch day, with noone else to blame but themselves.

You will most likely eventually want to crosstrain into other races. If you train BC 5 before the change you will have all the 4 bc 5's as long as you have the basic ship pre-reqs. If you decide to train to 5 after the change there will be 3 extra rank 6 skills you will have to train, and that's a long train.

Even if you don't want to crosstrain any time soon you won't regret getting BC5 and it will save several months of training later on.
Just to make the point, in the time it takes to train 3 rank 6 skills to 5, you could train racial titan to 5 as well as a racial frigate.
Malcanis
Vanishing Point.
The Initiative.
#9 - 2012-11-08 15:44:22 UTC
Even if CCP weren't going to change the skills, I would strongly recommend training BC V anyway. 12 ships, at least 7 of which are extremely good? Yes please!

"Just remember later that I warned against any change to jump ranges or fatigue. You earned whats coming."

Grath Telkin, 11.10.2016

Huttan Funaila
Caldari Provisions
Caldari State
#10 - 2012-11-08 17:55:59 UTC
Klymer wrote:
CCP Fozzie has said outright that this change is not scheduled to take place on Dec. 4.

.....of course that's not to say they won't spring this change on us on Dec. 5 Twisted
I hope it is a while; based on eve-mon, it will be about 90 days before all my chars are at BC 5 and all cruisers at 3.
Tau Cabalander
Retirement Retreat
Working Stiffs
#11 - 2012-11-09 01:15:19 UTC  |  Edited by: Tau Cabalander
I was curious:

Destroyers 5 (rank 2) = 2 * 256,000 skill points
Battlecruisers 5 (rank 6) = 6 * 256,000 skill points

Max Free Skill Points = 3 * Destroyers 5 + 3 * Battlecruisers 5
= 3 * (2 * 256,000) + 3 * (6 * 256,000)
= 6,144,000

Free Training Time @ 2,700 skill points per hour = Max Free Skill Points / 2,700
= 6,144,000 / 2,700
= 2,275.55 hours
= 94d 19h 33m 20s
Verity Sovereign
Sebiestor Tribe
Minmatar Republic
#12 - 2012-11-10 09:27:49 UTC
GreenSeed wrote:

No it won't.
Frigates are rank 2 skills, cruisers are rank 5 skills
BCs is a rank 6 skill

I cannot imagine them having racial BC V take less time to train than racial frigate V or even racial cruiser V.
Lets say at a minimum that racial cruiser V takes the same time to train as racial BC V.

that means you could train 1 skill with a 6x modifier, or 4 skills with a 5x modifier.
In total that is 6x vs 20x - it will take over 3 times as long to train to fly all BCs at lvl 5 after the change compared to before the change.
That means its going to set some people back over a month

I should also note that Ytterbium already said the racial BC skill is going to be a rank 6 skill, ie no change, which means it just straight up takes 4x longer to train to fly all BCs at lvl 5.

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2145728#post2145728

Dev quote:
CCP Fozzie wrote:
In that case you would get both racial battlecruiser skills to V.
You'll get exactly the same level of bonus to your ships after the skill change as you did before it, and since you only need the cruiser skills to 3 to fly those BCs and getting cruiser higher doesn't give bonuses to the BCs, any cruiser skill levels beyond 3 don't matter.

Antoine Jordan wrote:
So if I have Battlecruisers V and Amarr Cruiser III, after the patch I'll have Amarr Battlecruiser V, right? So that I can fly them to the same effectiveness I could before the patch.

This is correct.

CCP Fozzie wrote:
Dinta Zembo wrote:
So if I have battlecruisers 5 and each racial cruiser at lvl 3, does that mean I'll get every racial battlecruiser skill to 5?
You're saying 'if you can fly it now you'll still be able to fly it', but I'd like to know on what level.

To the same level. So yes in that case you'd get all four skills to level 5.

Of course, I'm not wild about what they are doing to some of the BCs...
Poor absolution, its going to be some bastard drone boat, rather than a mini abaddon...
Meanwhile... more bandwidth for myrm, me likey
Agonius Ohaya
Galactic Deep Space Industries
Brave Collective
#13 - 2012-11-16 16:59:12 UTC
When exactly will these skill changes occur, if it's not on december 4th?
Zhilia Mann
Tide Way Out Productions
#14 - 2012-11-16 17:01:19 UTC
Agonius Ohaya wrote:

We don't know yet.
Cataleya Aresi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#15 - 2012-11-16 19:32:18 UTC
Wondering if some of you lads might know...

Unfortunately on one of my accounts Battlecruiser Level 5 will not finish before the 4th of December patch - I will only be halfway between level 4 & 5.

I do have Caldari & Minmatar Cruiser to Level 4 atm. I know I will get Caldari Battlecruiser & Minmatar Battlecruiser, but will I get it them to Level 4, or will I get them both trained to the middle point between 4 & 5???

Thanks for the help!
Tul Breetai
Impromptu Asset Requisition
#16 - 2012-11-16 19:43:30 UTC  |  Edited by: Tul Breetai
Zhilia Mann wrote:
Agonius Ohaya wrote:

We don't know yet.

Cataleya Aresi wrote:
Wondering if some of you lads might know...

Unfortunately on one of my accounts Battlecruiser Level 5 will not finish before the 4th of December patch - I will only be halfway between level 4 & 5.

I do have Caldari & Minmatar Cruiser to Level 4 atm. I know I will get Caldari Battlecruiser & Minmatar Battlecruiser, but will I get it them to Level 4, or will I get them both trained to the middle point between 4 & 5???

Thanks for the help!

Facepalm. Cataleya, it will not happen until January at the earliest. You're fine. HOWEVER, the question about whether, IF you are between levels, you will get a proportional SP in new skills... has not been answered by ANYBODY with authority. Tough *******!

EDIT: I CANNOT believe they censor (.)(.) here...

There's nothing worse than an EVE player, generally considered to be top of the food chain in the MMO world, that cannot smacktalk with wit and coherency.

Cataleya Aresi
Science and Trade Institute
Caldari State
#17 - 2012-11-16 19:50:35 UTC
[/quote]

Facepalm. Cataleya, it will not happen until January at the earliest. You're fine. HOWEVER, the question about whether, IF you are between levels, you will get a proportional SP in new skills... has not been answered by ANYBODY with authority. Tough *******!

EDIT: I CANNOT believe they censor (.)(.) here...[/quote]

hehe I was under the impression that the skill changes were coming on 4th December as well - thanks for the answer
Klymer
Hedion University
Amarr Empire
#18 - 2012-11-17 01:13:35 UTC  |  Edited by: Klymer
Actually a dev has said that there will be no partially trained skills granted. You either get level 4 or level 5, no points for anything in between. I'm posting from my phone and it's annoying at best trying to use the search so I'll dig up the post later tonight when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT:

Ok just got home, here is the question about partial skill training being asked and answered by CCP Fozzie in the original threadnaught

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2149156#post2149156

will be major suckage for those who are only hours or days away from level 5 when the change happens Ugh

queue that shill NAO!!!!
Tul Breetai
Impromptu Asset Requisition
#19 - 2012-11-17 05:59:32 UTC
Klymer wrote:
Actually a dev has said that there will be no partially trained skills granted. You either get level 4 or level 5, no points for anything in between. I'm posting from my phone and it's annoying at best trying to use the search so I'll dig up the post later tonight when I get home, unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT:

Ok just got home, here is the question about partial skill training being asked and answered by CCP Fozzie in the original threadnaught

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=2149156#post2149156

will be major suckage for those who are only hours or days away from level 5 when the change happens Ugh

queue that shill NAO!!!!

"Only rational integers need applySmile" - CCP Fozzie

That sucks...

There's nothing worse than an EVE player, generally considered to be top of the food chain in the MMO world, that cannot smacktalk with wit and coherency.

Ireland VonVicious
Vicious Trading Company
#20 - 2012-11-20 04:53:38 UTC
Make sure to have your cruiser and frigate skills up to match the ships "You could fly before"

It has already been mentioned in the devs blogs that this will effect what skills you end up with.

If you train BC to 5 and only have 2 of the racial cruisers trained up you will only get 2 of the bc racials after the split.
12Next page